American Express - lost travelers checks

alohadan

Hello everybody. My name is Daniel.

I am new on this forum, from the US but have been traveling in Asia for

20 years or so. Really enjoying the years here in Japan, Taiwan, China,

Vietnam, Thailand and Laos.

I have a question for everybody. I lost my American express travelers checks a few weeks

ago. It was the first time in 20 years of continuous traveling. There were 5 checks for a

total of 2500 euro and they were illegally cashed before I could cancel them. After some

phone calls and emails, Amex has denied my claim and wont pay up. I have purchased hundreds

of thousands of dollars of their checks through the years without trouble. Has anyone had this

experience before and could you give me any advice on how to try to get my money back?.

Thanks,

Cheers Daniel

Hello everybody. My name is Daniel.

I am new on this forum, from the US but have been traveling in Asia for

20 years or so. Really enjoying the years here in Japan, Taiwan, China,

Vietnam, Thailand and Laos.

I have a question for everybody. I lost my American express travelers checks a few weeks

ago. It was the first time in 20 years of continuous traveling. There were 5 checks for a

total of 2500 euro and they were illegally cashed before I could cancel them. After some

phone calls and emails, Amex has denied my claim and wont pay up. I have purchased hundreds

of thousands of dollars of their checks through the years without trouble. Has anyone had this

experience before and could you give me any advice on how to try to get my money back?.

Thanks,

Cheers Daniel

Sorry to hear that, but no experience with it.

Show up in person at the local main Amex office in Bangkok (at the IBM building/ground floor on Phaholyothin Road). Ari BTS I think. Ask them what the reason is... for example did you wait suspciously long after the checks were lost and cashed before you reported them stolen, etc.

I would think they would be more helpful, even if only to preserve the Amex image. (it's not good for business to have someone at the next counter over being told that there will be no reimbursement for their "safer than cash" traveller's checks). I've had nothing but first rate service from them, and they are the only charge/credit card I have carried since I was 18.

:o

Edited by Heng

Lost a couple of £500 AMEX TCs a couple of years ago and had them replaced almost immediately.....few phone calls involved but reversed charges...

As said above AMEX have a good reputation and would want to keep it.

Incid... did you report them missing to the Police...... :o

What's the story here? Even the hotel where we stay once a week keeps taking a photocopy of both our ID, the wife's and mine, every single time! ** For T/Cs the passport details are looked at, then written down. Especially with higher than $ 100 per check or many checks at once, the duty of care is required.

I would raise a big stink immediately. Start by making sure you did all you could (Police report?). Then call AMEX' New york HQ and speak to their Execurive Relations folks.

If you are from Europe, get the banking ombudsman involved.

They are terrible with their cc's. They froze my cards based on false information which the CRA apologized for in writing. I never was reinstated.

Fight them hard, do it right now.

Even if your passport was stolen, too the problem of your photo remains.

What's the story here? Even the hotel where we stay once a week keeps taking a photocopy of both our ID, the wife's and mine, every single time! ** For T/Cs the passport details are looked at, then written down. Especially with higher than $ 100 per check or many checks at once, the duty of care is required.

I would raise a big stink immediately. Start by making sure you did all you could (Police report?). Then call AMEX' New york HQ and speak to their Execurive Relations folks.

If you are from Europe, get the banking ombudsman involved.

They are terrible with their cc's. They froze my cards based on false information which the CRA apologized for in writing. I never was reinstated.

Fight them hard, do it right now.

Even if your passport was stolen, too the problem of your photo remains.

Granted this was year's ago, but a golf caddy nipped some out of my bag during a round here. Phoned Amex, they told me to go to make a police report. Did that, and within a day or so they replaced em.

Lost a couple thousand in TC's sometime in Feb. Spoke with the same rep in Utah a couple of times. A check was in my amassed mail upon return to the US in March. I didn't know where or when I lost them, but they paid up with no problem.

It doesn’t appear that you have any chance of claiming monies lost from these TCs.

Normally in these cases, the holder should report any loss or theft to the police and to American express prior to them being drawn illegally.

Read the terms & conditions of the contract

See here:

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/tc/faqs.shtml#23

The link that you refer seems to be irrelevant, since it concerns "PASSPORT AND CREDIT/DEBIT CARD REPLACEMENT ASSISTANCE".

Concerning stolen/lost TCs, the page has the following to say (a little bit higher up):

"What happens if my Travellers Cheques are lost or stolen?

If your Travellers Cheques are lost or stolen, contact an American Express Travellers Cheque Customer Service Centre immediately. They will provide you with step-by-step instructions for reimbursement.

Remember to keep a record of all the Travellers Cheques serial numbers in a safe location separate from your Cheques.

Where can I get my Cheques reimbursed?

If your Cheques are lost or stolen, you will need to contact an American Express Travellers Cheque Customer Service Centre immediately.They will assist you with step-by-step instructions for replacing your Cheques."

Seems the OP does have a chance, doesn't it?

/ Priceless

I was pickpocketed $2000 in Amex T/C's years ago in India. I hung around in Calcutta for a month, trying to get a refund. The people in the office kept giving me the runaround. Eventually I gave up and headed to London. The London office refunded me immediately. The London office people explained that the Indians had transposed my name (Mr Smith John instead of Mr John Smith) and therefore could find no trace of my account - but instead of the Indians telling me that, they just prevaricated. Like Heng says, go to an office where you can find someone who will talk to you sensibly. It could be just a bit of incorrect information that they have.

hey...thanks for all the replies...

Here is the situation as of today.

I got hold a friend who works in the DSI(Thai version of the FBI)..

and he directed me to some of his colleagues who want to help me

find the guy who cashed the checks. Amex cant give out any evidence

of the crime until they get a written request from the DSI and their

head agent is off on vacation until the 5th Jan, and I am off to Taiwan

for a few months so will have to wait until I get back.

At least they were more receptive when I told them I wanted to bring the

police and DSI agents to their office in Bangkok to help them investigate.

Has anyone had this

My only experience was almost 20 years ago while on travel in Japan. No issues with prompt replacement at the Tokyo AE office.

My suggestion is to be very persistent and keep accurate records of everything you have done relative to the loss, notification and reimbursement requests (phone calls, emails, names, dates, etc.). Ask for front and back copies of the TC's when they clear everything and find their way back to AE. This will provide you with more information to support your case.

In many countries, it would be difficult if not impossible to cash that many TC's for that amount of money in one shot. Banks are leery of getting ripped off too. As others suggest, it is very difficult to cash TC's without full disclosure of PP, hotel, etc. AE knows this as well as anyone.

IMHO, if you stick to your guns and bug the living shit out of AE, you will eventually get reimbursement. It may take a while and AE may try to wait you out. You just have to demonstrate that you're the hungry dog with the bone and you aren't about to let go.

GL

I had nothing but highly praise for the way Amex handled my case.

In 1992 while visiting LOS for about 2 months. I charged my Amex credit card on big items like paying for hotel room....restaurants....shopping for leather gifts in big department stores, all of these done in BKK. The rest of the expenses I paid by cash.

Upon going back home to the US. The following month I received a monthly statement. There were several unfamiliar items charged that took place from other provinces. :D:o I promptly called the Amex co:. Explained that these 6 items were not mine....they were made from places that I never been to.

No question asked further. They just saying...." we'll give you credit."

That was fast, the next statement came, minus all those fraud charges. :D

This may be the result that we have been Amex member for so long (20+ yrs), besides they could compare the signature on those receipts with mine. Right ?

I wish the OP got this matter speed up fast. In my eyes the Amex is a reliable co: - fast, efficient, satisfaction.

Side note: After that unfortunate episode ( credit card fraud), :D:D now I carry travel checks too, of course, we order from Amex. :wai: Who else?