Could This Happen In Thailand?

eggomaniac

Just as I'm researching medical coverage for a 2 year stay in Thailand, the news runs a story about a Canadian woman, a firefighter, who was in a road accident in India, and left on the road until an American tourist took it on to get her to a hospital.

Worrying she might not have coverage 3 different hospitals refused her treatment.

Many hours after the accident, with injuries that needed immediate intervention, she was admitted to a hospital but died.

Do hospitals in Thailand ever reject an injured person?

Here I was thinking a 'problem' would be that farangs are automatically taken to the most expensive hospitals, when I see this example of a worse scenario.

Maybe travellers should wear a bracelet with the phone # of their Carrier and have that info inserted in with their passports!?

Sheeshhh, as if any hospital in the world would be stupid enough to not think a Canadian would either have coverage or family and friends who would fund raise if they did not. They violated their Hippocratic Oath and should have their doctors licenses revoked!

Just as I'm researching medical coverage for a 2 year stay in Thailand, the news runs a story about a Canadian woman, a firefighter, who was in a road accident in India, and left on the road until an American tourist took it on to get her to a hospital.

Worrying she might not have coverage 3 different hospitals refused her treatment.

Many hours after the accident, with injuries that needed immediate intervention, she was admitted to a hospital but died.

Do hospitals in Thailand ever reject an injured person?

Here I was thinking a 'problem' would be that farangs are automatically taken to the most expensive hospitals, when I see this example of a worse scenario.

Maybe travellers should wear a bracelet with the phone # of their Carrier and have that info inserted in with their passports!?

Sheeshhh, as if any hospital in the world would be stupid enough to not think a Canadian would either have coverage or family and friends who would fund raise if they did not. They violated their Hippocratic Oath and should have their doctors licenses revoked!

It happened in Pattaya earlier this year, a Canadian (?) male cyclist was hit by a truck and Bangkok Phuket hospital turned him away thinking he couldn't pay - was taken to a local hospital in Chonburi but he died en-route.

I am afraid that no Hospital in Thailand will accept you unless you had the Holiday Insurance details where someone could confirm immediate medical fee coverage. Or you have a valid credit card or cash, any denomination will do....!!

Without that security, or perhaps a personal guarantee from someone i.e. family/ friends to pay the bill things look bleak.

I fractured my ankle, quit badly on a staircase, I was transferred to the local hospital, I provided payment, however, the Doctor - in - charge, would not issue the necessary 'permission to fly' acceptable to the Airline. I have a contested case with my Insurance Company, besides, 5 operations, I can only walk with a stick now..................... :o

It happened in Pattaya earlier this year, a Canadian (?) male cyclist was hit by a truck and Bangkok Phuket hospital turned him away thinking he couldn't pay - was taken to a local hospital in Chonburi but he died en-route.

My cousin's, friend's, son was in the news last year. Partying in BKK he fell off a roof and lost part of his skull. If he was not rushed to Bumrungrand, immediately, he would have died. It was surprise he survived, actually and the bill was mega.

His family and the community back in Canada fund raised to pay it off.

Would it cost less to be treated at a good Government Hospital?

Siriaj is a govt hospital right, and a teaching hospital. I believe the Royal Family go there for health care?

Why only worry about it happening in Thailand? In the US an uninsured child admitted to hospital with trauma is about 50% more likely to die than an insured child. They do at least get admitted but don't get the aggressive/expensive treatments.

Profit driven insurance companies and doctors who leave medical school with the words of their debt managers drowning out those of Hippocrates is a hideous combination.

Yes it could happen here or anyplace for that matter, however I think it is less likely to happen here from what I have seen in Thailand road scene accident they will pick up any and all in some case fighting over would will take you to hospital. You may not get the best treatment until they are sure of your ability to pay, i.e., a rich well to do cousin showup or some family show proof of insurance. :D:D:o

• 2 weeks later...
Yes it could happen here or anyplace for that matter, however I think it is less likely to happen here from what I have seen in Thailand road scene accident they will pick up any and all in some case fighting over would will take you to hospital. You may not get the best treatment until they are sure of your ability to pay, i.e., a rich well to do cousin showup or some family show proof of insurance. :D:D:o

Make that NO treatment.

India does not really have ambulances or emergency services, and so injured people are often taken to hospitals in taxis or by private car. I've even seen badly injured people being taken on the back of motorbikes. There are many good doctors, but few good hospitals.

Thailand seems to be better, but not up to European/US standards. Always carry proof of insurance and ideally register with the local hospitals to save time form-filling in case of emergency.

I never heard that I could register with a hospital. How does that work exactly? Do I show my proof of insurance and then receive some kind of "I am insured, please help me" card?

I would be interested in hearing from people who might have been unlucky of having had an accident and what experience they made being admitted to a hospital.

India does not really have ambulances or emergency services, and so injured people are often taken to hospitals in taxis or by private car. I've even seen badly injured people being taken on the back of motorbikes. There are many good doctors, but few good hospitals.

Thailand seems to be better, but not up to European/US standards. Always carry proof of insurance and ideally register with the local hospitals to save time form-filling in case of emergency.

A bit closer to home Cambodia is no better, i had a bike accident and it was a 2 day ride in the back of a pickup to the border for me, ,the ride was worse than the accident !..my insurace did not cover me to be airlifted, some do, i learnt by a real mistake,

I never heard that I could register with a hospital. How does that work exactly? Do I show my proof of insurance and then receive some kind of "I am insured, please help me" card?

I would be interested in hearing from people who might have been unlucky of having had an accident and what experience they made being admitted to a hospital.

I went to BNH for a new test they were giving , an artery print out showing all weak or suspect points , when I left they gave me a patient card . Some months later I had pains in the chest late at night , went out to the road , hailed a taxi , clutched my chest and gave the driver my card , he must have called the hospital because on arrival there were attendants with a wheelchair that removed me from the taxi and took me to the ICU . It was a couple of days after admittance when a long time friend was visiting before payment was even mentioned, I told them I had Canadian health insurance but it would take a couple of weeks to get it settled . No problem , I spent 5 days there , they gave me an Itemised invoice with all aspects of my illness . My friend had come to collect me , we went to accounting and I told them I would take money from thier inhouse ATM for my daily limit then would come back the next 2 days to settle the rest , no problem . There are good people around when you need them . :o