Local Band Makes Us Rock Critic's Top 10 2008 List

ollylama

Hey those of you out there who were into The Tonic Rays when they were playing regularly at Guitarman in Chiang Mai and Bebop in Pai should get a kick out of this: We've now got a hometown hero. Read:

December 15, 2008

CHUCK EDDY

Billboard contributor

Top 10 Albums of 2008

1. Jamey Johnson, "That Lonesome Song" (Mercury).

2. Ross Johnson, "Make It Stop! The Most Of Ross Johnson" (Goner).

3. Rose Tattoo, "Blood Brothers" (Wacken).

4. Rick Springfield," Venus in Overdrive" (New Door/UMe).

5. The Knux, "Remind Me in 3 Days..." (Interscope).

6. The Tonic Rays, "The Tonic Rays" (thetonicrays.com).

7. Woodbox Gang, "Drunk As Dragons" (Alternative Tentacles).

8. Carter's Chord, "Carter's Chord" (Show Dog Nashville).

9. Phil Vassar, "Prayer of a Common Man" (Universal).

10. New Bloods, "The Secret Life" (Kill Rock Stars).

American music journalist Chuck Eddy was born in Detroit, Michigan. After beginning his journalism career with The Village Voice and Creem, where he published one of the first national interviews with the Beastie Boys in the mid-1980s, Eddy then wrote for Rolling Stone, Spin, Entertainment Weekly and other national and local publications. He also authored two books: Stairway to hel_l: The 500 Best Heavy Metal Albums in the Universe, and The Accidental Evolution of Rock and Roll.

In 1999 he was hired as the music editor at The Village Voice, where he served for seven years. After leaving the The Village Voice in 2006, he briefly wrote a thrice-weekly heavy metal blog for MTV Urge and a monthly page of capsule CD reviews in Harp magazine called The Last Roundup. He is currently a senior editor for Billboard magazine.

Tonic Rays CD news

Actually they got quite a few good reviews. I don't think the music was faithful to their sound live, but it was an engineered interpretation of it, each good in its own right. I'm glad to say I was there. I was the little people. The grassroots support. I hear the vocalist Marie is back in England and in another band for now, but has plans to make it back. Hope the money comes and it finances a return of the Tonic Rays.

That must be a joke.

My view too. Nice people but musically , they did nothing for me.

A great night at Guitarman tonight.

Nice one, Nick.

Yes, well, to each their own. Imagine what a dull place the world would be if everyone had the same taste in music?

Nice to see local talent get recognized :o

Wow, out of 52 Billboard critics this Chuck Eddy was the only one that mentioned the Tonic Rays. Also since he listed Rick Springfield his number four choice I don't have too much interest in his choice of musicians. Perhaps he needs to update his music library, or else get out more often.

Yes, it is always nice to 'root for the home team' but would you still think much of their music if they were not local? If that's the case I would select a local band from my neighborhood, which I think (my opinion) are much better than the Tonic Rays and they are known as 'Big Head Todd and the Monsters'.

nice to see there are such ardent, experienced rock critics in chiang mai to set the record straight.

why not just offer some kudos to a bunch of locals who've done good with their original music? they haven't won a grammy, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

Edited by ollylama

As far as I am concerned, Huey Lewis and the News were terrible - a real joke - but lots of people loved them and they made millions of dollars and sold tons of LPs. I have not listened to the Tonic Rays much, but they are way better than Huey Lewis.

They might not be your cup of tea, but they seem to have a lot of fans and they read Thai Visa. Why not say something good if you like them or not bother to comment at all?

Wow, out of 52 Billboard critics this Chuck Eddy was the only one that mentioned the Tonic Rays. Also since he listed Rick Springfield his number four choice I don't have too much interest in his choice of musicians. Perhaps he needs to update his music library, or else get out more often.

Yes, it is always nice to 'root for the home team' but would you still think much of their music if they were not local? If that's the case I would select a local band from my neighborhood, which I think (my opinion) are much better than the Tonic Rays and they are known as 'Big Head Todd and the Monsters'.

Completely off topic; unforgiveable from a mod, I know.

Tonic Rays fine...glad they got the recognition.

But Big Head Todd and the Monsters?

One of my fav bands of all time, along with Widespread Panic..... :o