Buying Aircondition For My Condo

Sophon

In a couple of weeks I will be back in Bangkok again. On my last holiday I bought myself a condo, and this time I will be spending time getting it habitable.

After having arranged for an electricity meter, next order of business will be buying and having aircondition installed in the two bedrooms. The bedrooms are small'ish in size (less than 15 sq.m.), so I'm thinking that I wont need very powerful aircondition units. From memory most standard airconditions sold at places like Tesco, Carrefour and Home Pro are either 9,000 or 12,000 BTU's. Would those be ok for my purpose? Would there be any advantages of buying more powerful units? (quieter, longer-lasting, other advantages?)

Also, are there any band names that you would recommend or warn against?

Thank you for your input.

Merry Christmas

Sophon

In a couple of weeks I will be back in Bangkok again. On my last holiday I bought myself a condo, and this time I will be spending time getting it habitable.

After having arranged for an electricity meter, next order of business will be buying and having aircondition installed in the two bedrooms. The bedrooms are small'ish in size (less than 15 sq.m.), so I'm thinking that I wont need very powerful aircondition units. From memory most standard airconditions sold at places like Tesco, Carrefour and Home Pro are either 9,000 or 12,000 BTU's. Would those be ok for my purpose? Would there be any advantages of buying more powerful units? (quieter, longer-lasting, other advantages?)

Also, are there any band names that you would recommend or warn against?

Thank you for your input.

Merry Christmas

Sophon

12,000btu should do the job. Some of the cheaper models use more elec. than others.

Hello

When I got my place I bought a aircond with a Mitsubishi compressor, after 2 years I have problem with it .

It was a 12 BTU

After many repairs I decide to change it .

I bought what I think is the best , a aircond from Mitsubishi Electric , not Mitsubishi heavy duty ( have two compnies in bangkok ) ..

I am very happy with it .

My electric bill drop of 1500 bahts monthly .

I do not know about other brands ! .

The place I got it was near payathai station , tel 026538866

The price was little stiff 30841 bahts for room 22-30 sqm, they have similar unit for room 9-14 / 14/22

Choose a split unit from a reliable brand.

Look for the energy saving logo.

The size required depends on your room.

Work out the cubic size of your room in cubic metres and then

check with a shop that sells and fits the units, what size is best for you.

I am not sure about buying from dept stores.

Who will fit the unit for you? It is not a DIY job.

In the long run you will need service as well.

Better to go to the small shop that provides the complete service.

dept store do not have the Mitsubishi electric only carry the brand Mitsubishi heavyduty ! if you look at the most use aircond in business around bangkok , you will see the Mitsubishi electric are the favorit .

more expensive but save money in long run ..

that is my opinion ..

I will give different advise as your bedrooms are very small and likely not under a roof where you have heat buildup or require total cooling during the day with direct sun. 9,000 btu should be fine. If you buy higher rated unit you will not obtain good humidity control and waste your money. I cool a 30+ bedroom with a 12k unit without any problem (under roof but shaded). Check the sticker for estimated cost and only buy units with a 5 rating. As advised, do buy a split unit as window types do not seem to last long (rust problems in my experience) and will likely not be suitable in a condo in any case.

At least 12,000 BTU.

Mitsubishi for 13 years now (13,000 BTU), never had a problem. Cleaning once a year.

I know someone who regrets putting a 9,000 in a small bedroom, not enough during the very hot days.

I also know someone who regrets putting a 9,000 Mitsubishi in a small bedroom. Me! On the really hot days, it keeps the room just barely cool. In the Beauty Salon area of the house (my wife's), we put a 36,000 Uni-Aire, which is made in Thailand by a Thai company (Uni-aire). It works very well and have had no problems for the first year plus.

I run a Mitsubishi 9000 btu in my office (converted bedroom) which gets a lot of shade. It does fine....

In my bedroom, which gets more direct sun, the 9000 btu mitsubishi in there simply wasn't always strong enough... Also, it developed noises after 1 year, and the compressor went kaput after 3 years... I replaced it with a Toshiba 18000 btu which is great. It doesn't have to work so hard, and the remote has features that that Mitsu didn't have. When I replace my office AC, it will be a Toshiba, too- anything but Mitsu...

I have AC running mostly 24 hours per day, and my electric bills are always in the 4,000 baht per month neigborhood... That also includes a pool pump and waterfall pump which runs 12 hours per day.

The prices have come down a lot in the last couple of years... The 18000 btu Toshiba was 1,000 baht less than the 9000 btu mitsu purchased 3 years earlier... And Mitsu was the cheapest then, next to LG, at Siam TV...

Edited by SarahH

just want to add.

Mitsubishi electric is a make .

Mitsubishi heavy duty is a make .

Mitshubishi compressor ( parts ) are add into a factory built aircond .

i am not sure when people talk about Mitsubishi , what they are referring too ?

I was not happy with my factory no name aircond and it has a Mitsubishi compressor in it .

I am happy with my Mitsubishi electric split unit I bought and save me a lot of power money .

I take it when you say "split unit" you mean the blower is mounted on the wall inside the room, and the compressor sits separately out on the balcony or exterior wall. As opposed to what Texans called 'a window unit' that is a combined unit that sets on the window ledge inside the sash.

Split units have that fat wrapping of tubes that goes along the wall. My roommate says if you put the tubing through the wall and are just renting, the landlord/owner would have to approve the installation. But that almost goes without saying.

I'm thinking of putting air-con in my spare bedroom/study which is 6m x 3m, standard height. No direct exposure to outside, other condo units above and below. It would be better to put the compressor on the north balcony that's covered, rather than the south balcony that's unshaded. Would four additional meters of tubing to get to the other balcony decrease the efficiency? I think that overall, the shaded north balcony would more than offset the extra lengths of tubing. Also, I don't want a second compressor outside my own bedroom.

I suspect January is a good month to purchase a unit and get it installed, before the hot season gets here. Are there any other factors to consider?

Electric, ground and drain are also factors that you need to be aware of. Not to mention the condo owner. That four meters of slanting pipe is not the best idea (even if it can be done) if you have no other option for the drain from wall unit. Also North balcony will be on the sun side during a good part of the year, and the South in the shade (as the sun moves north) so you may not gain that much in any case.

• 4 months later...
Electric, ground and drain are also factors that you need to be aware of.  Not to mention the condo owner.  That four meters of slanting pipe is not the best idea (even if it can be done) if you have no other option for the drain from wall unit.  Also North balcony will be on the sun side during a good part of the year, and the South in the shade (as the sun moves north) so you may not gain that much in any case.

lopburi3, thanks belatedly, for your prompt reply - maybe I was celebrating Christmas and overlooked your reply. You almost got me on that north/south sun thing. Chiang Mai is at the 19th parallel north. The sun is on the north side of the building only from 17 May to 28 July, and never extends 5 degrees to the north. Since the balcony has sides and a roof, I doubt there's ever direct sunlight.

Now I've reconsidered, and think I'd rather cool the big room (55 square meters) and locate the unit directly above that north balcony overhang, only two meters from the electric service entrance box. You're right, though, that I'd still have the hurdles of the drain, the landlord, and the condo's management. We might have to upgrade the entrance box, too. I guess it's too expensive (although moving to Grand Hillside Plaza #5 might bankrupt me!).

There are always lots of things to consider, such as the big room having about 70 linear feet of outdoor wall, almost all glass windows and glass doors. Some of the online calculators assume you're living 40 degrees above the equator.

Edited by PeaceBlondie

Electric, ground and drain are also factors that you need to be aware of.  Not to mention the condo owner.  That four meters of slanting pipe is not the best idea (even if it can be done) if you have no other option for the drain from wall unit.  Also North balcony will be on the sun side during a good part of the year, and the South in the shade (as the sun moves north) so you may not gain that much in any case.

lopburi3, thanks belatedly, for your prompt reply - maybe I was celebrating Christmas and overlooked your reply. You almost got me on that north/south sun thing. Chiang Mai is at the 19th parallel north. The sun is on the north side of the building only from 17 May to 28 July, and never extends 5 degrees to the north. Since the balcony has sides and a roof, I doubt there's ever direct sunlight.

Now I've reconsidered, and think I'd rather cool the big room (55 square meters) and locate the unit directly above that north balcony overhang, only two meters from the electric service entrance box. You're right, though, that I'd still have the hurdles of the drain, the landlord, and the condo's management. We might have to upgrade the entrance box, too. I guess it's too expensive (although moving to Grand Hillside Plaza #5 might bankrupt me!).

There are always lots of things to consider, such as the big room having about 70 linear feet of outdoor wall, almost all glass windows and glass doors. Some of the online calculators assume you're living 40 degrees above the equator.

I was probably thinking of Bangkok, which would be longer, but even on the 17 May - 28 July timeframe that is probably when you use the most airconditioning and the hot sun would be on your unit. Of course if you have shade that is another story. But do be careful of drains as the crap/rust tends to block when not much pressure/slant.

• 2 years later...

I'm in the market for my first air conditioner now. Our bedroom is just under 12qm. I want to put my computer in there too, to keep it cool and dry. Questions...

Things I am looking for:

Quiet system

energy efficient

dry air

long lasting

easy to maintain

What brand name should I buy?

How many BTU's for 12sm?

Where to buy for good price in Chiang Mai?

Thanks