Abhisit Interview On Al Jazeera

simon43

Did anyone see the recent interview with 'Khun Mark' on Al Jazeera?

The good points:

- He was fairly fluent in English

- He had shaved that day

- He looked healthy, handsome man etc

Er, that was it....

I had high hopes that the new PM would be a man of passion, hard-hitting and a good orator. But I really was rather disappointed by this interview. I guess that his coalition government is going to have to walk a tightrope and feels that it has to please a wide variety of individuals who are hovering in the background. It's a pity that Mark cannot follow a 'do or die' strategy and reject those corrupt/incompetent persons who feel that he owes them something. The future of the country is far more important than stepping on the wrong toes.

What do others think?

Simon

...I would have to say "give him a chance",....as he personally has no "corruption" allegations against him,.....which is quite unique amongst Thai politicians,but the dilema he now faces is; how can he hold on to power without involving the coalition of shady wheeler dealers of past goverments,well the very first thing he has to do is set up real Independent (no strings)media (maybe impossible in Thailand?) so that the brief time he has in charge is not wasted.State run TV and radio is currently being overhauled(so we are told)and more private run TV stations are being proposed,weather this will resolve the unbalanced media is questionable as you are more likely to attract the same genre of meglaniacs as you allready have.Also, as BBC News has pointed out recently self censorship amongst Thai journalism is not just limited to the Monarchy,but includes the judiciary and even military!!...so to encourage real democracy will be an uphill struggle.Despite all that if this is not attempted it will be back to square one,.....TIT.......as they say....... and coup after coup with the population of Thailand being used as pawns in the power-brokers quests,....

Edited by dee123

Did anyone see the recent interview with 'Khun Mark' on Al Jazeera?

The good points:

- He was fairly fluent in English

- He had shaved that day

- He looked healthy, handsome man etc

Er, that was it....

I had high hopes that the new PM would be a man of passion, hard-hitting and a good orator. But I really was rather disappointed by this interview. I guess that his coalition government is going to have to walk a tightrope and feels that it has to please a wide variety of individuals who are hovering in the background. It's a pity that Mark cannot follow a 'do or die' strategy and reject those corrupt/incompetent persons who feel that he owes them something. The future of the country is far more important than stepping on the wrong toes.

What do others think?

Simon

Do or die politicians tend to die rather than do. All politicians have to walk a tightrope and please a wide variety of individuals - that's what politics is all about.

Forgive me for re-posting this from another thread but since the topic is essentially the same I think the response is still appropriate. I did not see Abhisit in the Al Jazeera interview but I did see him in the BBC interview and have also seen clips of his speech at the FCCT a year or so ago while he was still governor of Bangkok. I'm not impressed. While I do not necessarily dislike him as a person, I very much dislike they way he gained the PM office. He is clearly intelligent and well educated but he seems to possess almost no leadership qualities and has yet to lay out any political platform or specific agenda for addressing the country's many problems. His Cabinet appointments where done in typical party apportioned fashion and it looks like the same old Thai politics as usual. What Thailand needs right now is an outspoken leader who will go on national television and eloquently address the entire nation concentrating on reconciliation and attempt to dispel the fear, anger and resentment of the disenfranchised northerners and northeasterners. Unfortunately, I don't think Abhisit is up to the task. He appears much too sheepish and my guess is that he will soon retreat from the cameras as much as possible and not step up and seriously attempt to fix the many problems which plague the country. Couple these weaknesses with the multitudes of red shirted masses who will continue to despise him until he at least tries to connect with them and I'm afraid the outlook for his political future and Thailand's stability as a whole is not good. I hope he proves me wrong. It's time for the country to start moving forward again.

Edited by Groongthep

I was wondering... considering the importance Thai's place upon the number of gray hairs a person has, do you think that some one his age could ever be an effective leader given the social structure of Thais.

Wouldn't all young Thai's be sheepish, shy and defer to the older folks? Will the culture even allow him to be a leader?

Forgive me for re-posting this from another thread but since the topic is essentially the same I think the response is still appropriate. I did not see Abhisit in the Al Jazeera interview but I did see him in the BBC interview and have also seen clips of his speech at the FCCT a year or so ago while he was still governor of Bangkok. Abhisit (current PM) and Apirak (Former BKK Governor) are not the same person.

I'm not impressed. While I do not necessarily dislike him as a person, I very much dislike they way he gained the PM office. Rounding up support from elected MP's as stipulated by the constitution is a hard pill to swallow, especially when the alternative was a cop with virtually no experience or credentials (i.e. Pracha).. :o

He is clearly intelligent and well educated but he seems to possess almost no leadership qualities and has yet to lay out any political platform or specific agenda for addressing the country's many problems. the government has scheduled a policy statement parliamentary debate for next Monday and Tuesday. For my part, i consider intelligence and good education to be qualities desirable in a leader, but that's just me :D

His Cabinet appointments where done in typical party apportioned fashion and it looks like the same old Thai politics as usual. This is Thailand, it would stand to reason that Thai politics will be the way things get done (or don't get done). Not doing it this way would mean PTP and Pracha would be in charge, and the Yellow shirts would still be in the airport, and a good chance the military would have been forced in intervene

What Thailand needs right now is an outspoken leader (do we really? Samak and Thaksin weren't enough for you? Outspoken as a leadership quality is vastly overrated) who will go on national television and eloquently address the entire nation concentrating on reconciliation and attempt to dispel the fear, anger and resentment of the disenfranchised northerners and northeasterners. Sounds very much like what Abhisit did last Wednesday after receiving royal endorsement. Very eloquent speech in both Thai and English calling for "reconciliation and unity"

Unfortunately, I don't think Abhisit is up to the task. Time will tell, and he deserves some time

He appears much too sheepish and my guess is that he will soon retreat from the cameras as much as possible and not step up and seriously attempt to fix the many problems which plague the country. I think you're wrong on this count. When have politicians ever been camera shy (unless its Samak hiding out in the toilet) Again, time will tell

Couple these weaknesses with the multitudes of red shirted masses who will continue to despise him until he at least tries to connect with them You mean by embracing policies that help rural people, as announced by the government yesterday (one of the few things that Thaksin actually did well, sans the horrible corruption each program was plagued with)

and I'm afraid the outlook for his political future and Thailand's stability as a whole is not good For my part, things have seemed a lot more stable in the past week. World leaders applauding a resolution to the standoff, airport opened, new group in change. I hope he proves me wrong. It's time for the country to start moving forward again. On this we are in complete and total agreement

Edited by jbowman1993

I was wondering... considering the importance Thai's place upon the number of gray hairs a person has, do you think that some one his age could ever be an effective leader given the social structure of Thais.

Wouldn't all young Thai's be sheepish, shy and defer to the older folks? Will the culture even allow him to be a leader?

Yes, I think that could have a lot to do with it. Abhisit's youth and lack of political network building and power brokering experience probably do factor into his apparent subservience to the more powerful elements in Thai politics. Thai hierarchical social structure being what it is, Khun Mark may be just going along with the same old traditional system because bucking it may prove disastrous to his political aspirations. He's already Prime Minister. Maybe he is content with that and is not really overly concerned with solving any problems. It looks as though he has assumed more the role of client in the traditional Thai patron-client relationship structure than being the actual patron who usually runs Thai political faction (Party) himself. It somewhat reminds me of Congressional politics in the US where the party elite often nominate a young attractive and eloquent "electable" candidate to run for office in a particular district all the while knowing that the young candidate, if elected will be beholden to those powerful politicos who got him elected.

On the bright side, Abhisit puts forward a positive image for Thailand, handsome, fluent in English and Oxford educated. Only time will tell however, if he matures into an independent conscientious and pro-active leader in his own right or if he becomes content with being the manohra shadow puppet being controlled by mysterious hands hidden behind the screen.

Edited by Groongthep

Forgive me for re-posting this from another thread but since the topic is essentially the same I think the response is still appropriate. I did not see Abhisit in the Al Jazeera interview but I did see him in the BBC interview and have also seen clips of his speech at the FCCT a year or so ago while he was still governor of Bangkok. Abhisit (current PM) and Apirak (Former BKK Governor) are not the same person. You are correct it was Apirak who was governor of Bangkok. My mistake. The speech I was referng to was by Abhisit however.

I'm not impressed. While I do not necessarily dislike him as a person, I very much dislike they way he gained the PM office. Rounding up support from elected MP's as stipulated by the constitution is a hard pill to swallow, especially when the alternative was a cop with virtually no experience or credentials (i.e. Pracha).. :o I was refering to the antics of the PAD at the airports that forced the change not the forming of a coalition government.

He is clearly intelligent and well educated but he seems to possess almost no leadership qualities and has yet to lay out any political platform or specific agenda for addressing the country's many problems. the government has scheduled a policy statement parliamentary debate for next Monday and Tuesday. For my part, i consider intelligence and good education to be qualities desirable in a leader, but that's just me :D Let's see what specifics come out of this policy statement. By the way, I also see intelligence and good education to be desirable qualities in a leader too, but they alone don't make you a good leader. Would you want Stephen Hawking or Bill Gates as PM or President? Woodrow Wilson was an excellent example, brilliant well educated man; terrible leader. I don't get your sarcasm here.

His Cabinet appointments where done in typical party apportioned fashion and it looks like the same old Thai politics as usual. This is Thailand, it would stand to reason that Thai politics will be the way things get done (or don't get done). Not doing it this way would mean PTP and Pracha would be in charge, and the Yellow shirts would still be in the airport, and a good chance the military would have been forced in intervene Perhaps you have a point here, but in a perfect world where there was a fair election held, PTP and Pracha would have won anyway. That's democracy.

What Thailand needs right now is an outspoken leader (do we really? Samak and Thaksin weren't enough for you? Outspoken as a leadership quality is vastly overrated) who will go on national television and eloquently address the entire nation concentrating on reconciliation and attempt to dispel the fear, anger and resentment of the disenfranchised northerners and northeasterners. Sounds very much like what Abhisit did last Wednesday after receiving royal endorsement. Very eloquent speech in both Thai and English calling for "reconciliation and unity"

Outspoken can be good or bad depending on what is said. Abhisit's speech obviously fell short judging from the reaction of the red shirt side which is a major portion of the population, if not the majority.

Unfortunately, I don't think Abhisit is up to the task. Time will tell, and he deserves some time OK, I agree with you on this. Did I suggest that we not give him some time?

He appears much too sheepish and my guess is that he will soon retreat from the cameras as much as possible and not step up and seriously attempt to fix the many problems which plague the country. I think you're wrong on this count. When have politicians ever been camera shy (unless its Samak hiding out in the toilet) Again, time will tell Yes, only time will tell. As I said, I hope I'm wrong, but if I were a betting man I wouldn't put too much money on Abhisit calling a lot of press conferences in the next year.

Couple these weaknesses with the multitudes of red shirted masses who will continue to despise him until he at least tries to connect with them You mean by embracing policies that help rural people, as announced by the government yesterday (one of the few things that Thaksin actually did well, sans the horrible corruption each program was plagued with) Yes, that is what I mean. Let's see what he comes up with, I doubt much.

and I'm afraid the outlook for his political future and Thailand's stability as a whole is not good For my part, things have seemed a lot more stable in the past week. World leaders applauding a resolution to the standoff, airport opened, new group in change. I hope he proves me wrong. It's time for the country to start moving forward again. On this we are in complete and total agreement

I think a lot of us are. Thanks.

There is nothing evil about being intelligent, well educated, bilingually fluent, upper class, well connected, photogenic, Thai, properly elevated to the post, royally confirmed, etc. Like any new leader for 2009, the challenges are enormous, and let us hope all the right Thais support good governing.

Everyone can judge for themselves, but a little context. Samak acted like a gorilla during his Al Jazeera interviews, incredibly distorting his role in the killing of protesters and drug suspects. Somchai was too busy cowering in Chiang Mai to appear for an interview. Abhisit is a breath of fresh air in comparison. Give him a chance.

David Frost 19/12/08 interview

David Frost 12/9/08 interview

The latest interview hasn't been posted to youtube yet.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

There is nothing evil about being intelligent, well educated, bilingually fluent, upper class, well connected, photogenic, Thai,......

I don't believe there is anyone on this thread who has suggested that there is anything evil about these things.

Like any new leader for 2009, the challenges are enormous,....

Please reassure me that you are not comparing Barrack Obama with Abhisit Vejjajiva. Obama was democratically elected by the majority of voters in a free and fair election. Abhisit was able to become leader of a new parliamentary coalition government only after a mob of right wing elitist thugs occupied and shut down the national airports and key government buildings forcing the popular government out. The elitist thugs rejected the idea of holding free elections because they were keenly aware that they would lose them if they did.

the chap is one week in the office but some armchair politicians of Thaivisa are judging him already based on an interview. by the way, i saw the interview too. of course his answers were noncommittal, what did the critics expect? what i admired was that he answered every question without hesitating a second.

There is nothing evil about being intelligent, well educated, bilingually fluent, upper class, well connected, photogenic, Thai, properly elevated to the post, royally confirmed, etc. Like any new leader for 2009, the challenges are enormous, and let us hope all the right Thais support good governing.

You're a funny guy!

For several years I've wanted Abhisit to be the top dog, but the route he decided to take in order to get there, is shameful. More specifically to this thread, with every day / word he appears less like the non-corrupt saviour and more like one more of the same (corrupt tosssers)...

He has a chance to do the country proud and be a strong leader, standing against the leagues of corruption around him; very much as the OP suggests, or he could follow endures ridiculous advice; hide and be one more of the same, corrupt self serving liars who look after himself and his group while 65,000,000 Thais suffer.

the chap is one week in the office but some armchair politicians of Thaivisa are judging him already based on an interview. by the way, i saw the interview too. of course his answers were noncommittal, what did the critics expect? what i admired was that he answered every question without hesitating a second.

Nearly as irritating as those Thaivisa armchair economists...

Non-hesitating, non-commital answers - wow, lots to admire there??? He needs to have answers to questions, not just decent avoidance techniques. Thailand is in a <deleted> state and needs a leader, not another sheep / pig / puppet.

With every passing non-commital day the Thais (not me) want Thaksin back more and more, a leader they see as a strong one appropriate for the current crisis (I hasten to add that I don't personally agree). Abhisit needs to show that he has strong qualities that will drive the country forward, and he'd better get on with it. We'll know more in a few days time after the policies are out - let's hope they're original and forward thinking.

Thank you very much for posting the interviews, whoever it was.

I am reminded of what FDR said said, something to the effect that ' I know that they are sons of bitches, but they are our sons of bitches' Apisit can work only with the 'clay' he has. The establishment is big and his job is to make Thailand into a country where the rule of law applies; he referred to the constitution and the independance of the manarchy, these are his priorities. When asked about what he would do about the ex-prime minister he made it clear that it was nothing to do with him, that the ex-PM was only the equal of any other Thai citizen.

The last government clearly stated that any province that didn't vote for them could expect to be last on the list for favours, (the favoured wear red shirts). That was to replace Thai politics old style where the military stepped in when any one party had had their turn. In fact it was almost as though the politicians were retired army ascending to power in order of seniority? Well the military is no longer the training ground for politicians, as Taksin proved, but to replace it with one individual with total power, who is prepared to abuse that power and who can never be removed, is unacceptable and dangerous.

Hopefully the system can be changed without the man needing to make himself incredibly rich(powerful) in order to succeed. The rule of law, is a powerful thing, you have to start at the top, eventually it will be good for everybody, they just don't know it yet.

Abhisit needs to show that he has strong qualities that will drive the country forward, and he'd better get on with it. We'll know more in a few days time after the policies are out - let's hope they're original and forward thinking.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. :o

I didn't see the whole interview. but am favorably impressed. Give the man a break, his English is exceptional (yours truly would love to have his ability) and he is a cultured guy.

Politics isn't my cup of tea, so no opinion on the content.

Few would accept such an interview - bring on some other PM and their answers will be even less candid!