Cohousing In Los

There is a concept that is called 'cohousing' that seems to be popular all over the world and I've just stumbled on the website and would like to share it with other expats in the hope that it will generate some serious discussion about the do-ability here in LOS.

to learn the basic concept go to http://www.cohousing.org/

It seems to me that Thailand would be the ideal place for a project like this and I for one would like to pursue it [at least on paper for now]. It's obvious advantage is that it could provide security, good neighbors, lower price and better value for realestate investments here if structured right.

I think a small 5 or 7 units in a nice setting with space between for privacy and quiet and some communal area with garden space and other communal activities, like swimming pool, meeting room, etc..

Would appreciate other's input.

No, not really with the gated moobans....there you ar stuck in a small confined space with people you may not want as neighbors. What I envision is a community with more space between and large common area and to start off with common goals, understandings and covenants which are lacking in most moo bans which are developed to sell lots and bail out when it comes to long term maintenance.

So what are you proposing? That all potential buyers have to be vetted to see if they have common interests and that they all like each other?, if not you would turn away these potential customers?? What about if someone wants to sell out of the project - would he not be allowed to sell if his buyer was not "suitable". Seriously sounds like a non starter.

Were you part of a hippy commune in the 60's perhaps?? :o

for foreigners renting in thailand is cheap and being alone gives you independence - you do what you want to do, when you want it, especially when you have kids.

cohousing might be an answer for the elderly expatriates, who for social reasons, security and cheaper medical care they might cluster together and have a housekeeper/nurse/security person on site all the time.

What common interests do you have with any of your gated moobaan neighbors....except for drinking??

i even prefer to have my drinks in solitude. having said so... i live since 2½ years in an upscale gated community, have met and talked to a few of my neighbours, found most of them to be very nice people, have no complaints but could not detect any common interests.

p.s. after realising the latter i was quite relieved :o

"Were you part of a hippy commune in the 60's perhaps??"

I'm proud to confess that I am a 'survivor' of the 60's and did stay in a few communes in my time and can now see the flaws in communal living....mainly, no privacy and inequality of input. In those days we were more flexible and living in close quarters was fun, but now i need space and independance and cohousing can offer that, if structured right with a small group and enough space between houses to afford privacy.

"cohousing might be an answer for the elderly expatriates, who for social reasons, security and cheaper medical care they might cluster together and have a housekeeper/nurse/security person on site all the time."

That's the direction that I am going in....I've just passed 60 and can see that it may be wise to look into other options soon. Add that to the current [and future] global financial uncertanity, maybe it would be wise to pool resources with other like minded souls to soften the impact.

And there are many of us expats married to Thais and with families that could benefit from this kind of lifestyle. Schooling, self sustainability, etc.

"even prefer to have my drinks in solitude. having said so... i live since 2½ years in an upscale gated community, have met and talked to a few of my neighbours, found most of them to be very nice people, have no complaints but could not detect any common interests"

Yeah Naam, I've grown into somewhat of a hermit myself and prefer my own company to most other expats that I've met in the 8 yrs I've been here, but can see that if i had some contact with like minded people, it may expand my mind. Actually, it is my family that would benefit the most, as my independance runs contrary to Thais and youth and they need more social interaction than I.

Edited by jaideeguy