Communications Receivers

dutchy124

I'm a Amateur Radio Operator from Australia, however I haven't brought my gear over here yet, I'm not sure where I could put any of my antennas anyway.. certainly no room for a decent HF antenna over my town house in Sukhumvit

What do you want to listen to , I have a few frequencies listed in a database.

In answer to Maryworth, I do know the police frequencies and they are not the same in each province.

However, you should be aware that listening in to police channels is a definite no-no here in Thailand, (unless you are the police etc). Also, AFAIK, scanners are also illegal because Thai law strictly controls what frequencies can be accessed by the public. A wideband scanner (VHF/UHF) will cover prohibited frequencies.

For more details, check out the Thai amateur Radio website:

http://www.qsl.net/rast/

Simon

Hi thanks for the replies.

I used to be able to listen to mobile phone conversations, but have lost my list of frequencies and now cannot seem to find any phone calls at all. Maybe because they have gone digital recently or perhaps I am just in the wrong area.

Dont know how far back your talking but you havent been able to evesdrop on mobiles for donkeys years.. GSM is a spread spectrum packet based system using frequency hopping, if you mean AMPS or ETACS or other analogue I would have thought that died off mid 90's ??? Dont think I have had an analogue phone since my teens !!

If you mean you listened to mobiles scaned in the 80's or VERY early 90's perhaps ok.. If you mean this millennium then somethings odd.

Back then snarfing with a hacked up motorola 4800 was the tricks.. And a NEC P3 with flashed eeproms to change the ESN/MIN pairs.. Misspent youth !! :o

Dont know how far back your talking but you havent been able to evesdrop on mobiles for donkeys years.. GSM is a spread spectrum packet based system using frequency hopping, if you mean AMPS or ETACS or other analogue I would have thought that died off mid 90's ??? Dont think I have had an analogue phone since my teens !!

ah but this is not home, and in this country CAT/TOT still have an 800mhz analogue service in BKK, albeit a free service and nearly everyone has been moved off to the Hutch service.

Definately was listening to mobile phone conversations here in Korat, maybe 18 months to two years ago. some evenings would pick up over 50 phone calls, all very interesting for my wife and I even managed to get an explanation now and again. lol.

I agree I lost mobile conversations in the UK late 90's