What Hunger In Thailand?

think_too_mut

only real charity is the ones that dont ask for any money and just help you go work in the country for free on building stuff..

if you think charities exists, LOL at you

i was 5 when i started keeping my unicef $ @ halloween cause i knew the mafia or dictators or some rich **** was gonna keep it.. why give it to those asswipes when i can buy myself candy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok PLEASE can someone post some official figures or information or something to send the message home to some of you that have absolutely no idea what is going on in Thailand but seriously think you do? There is an abundance of food in Thailand. Living in poverty in this country is NOT the same as living in poverty in India or some other country where children starve or barely get enough to eat. Thailand is not this place. I cant believe how deluded the vision is of some of the posters here, it's outrageous.

Really? So you mean the Tuk-Tuk guy with the sign " I love Farang! No Farang I die!" isnt really poor? But I liked feeling generous.. :o

Some people not seems to believe that there is hunger in Thailand. maybe not blatant hunger like in some African country, but there is certainly malnutrition. Of course when you never leave you Isan Village in Isan or leave you Expat comunity in pattaya or Bangkok and close your eyes from what is going on out of your eyeside you well not see it.

So for the disbelievers some statistics from NSO Thailand I hope you regard this an trustworthy source of information.

http://web.nso.go.th/eng/en/indicators/health_e.htm

http://web.nso.go.th/eng/en/stat/gender/table/etab25.htm

http://web.nso.go.th/eng/en/stat/gender/table/etab24.htm

To have correct information about variuos statistics

http://web.nso.go.th/

Agree that malnutrition in Thailand is nowhere near the levels seen on the African continent.

That aside the general theme of the replies on this thread did not suprise.

"My SSI has just dropped below $US765-82. I'll just drop into the local Ampore office and pick up my free health care insurance, my rent subsidy and food stamps"

Agree that malnutrition in Thailand is nowhere near the levels seen on the African continent.

That aside the general theme of the replies on this thread did not suprise.

"My SSI has just dropped below $US765-82. I'll just drop into the local Ampore office and pick up my free health care insurance, my rent subsidy and food stamps"

Enlighten me what is SSI

Some people not seems to believe that there is hunger in Thailand. maybe not blatant hunger like in some African country, but there is certainly malnutrition. Of course when you never leave you Isan Village in Isan or leave you Expat comunity in pattaya or Bangkok and close your eyes from what is going on out of your eyeside you well not see it.

So for the disbelievers some statistics from NSO Thailand I hope you regard this an trustworthy source of information.

http://web.nso.go.th/eng/en/indicators/health_e.htm

http://web.nso.go.th/eng/en/stat/gender/table/etab25.htm

http://web.nso.go.th/eng/en/stat/gender/table/etab24.htm

To have correct information about variuos statistics

http://web.nso.go.th/

First of all those stats went from 87 to 97! Over 10 years old, second of all they drastically go down and if you follow the trend they seem to go to 0 by 2008! Third of all what do those stats mean? How do they compare to Canada or the States? I would not be shocked if similar numbers come up for supposedly rich countries and the definition of malnutrition would be demonstrated there too. Fourth, if there is malnutrition in Thailand it would probably be because of a lack of nutritional education, I watch kids eat coke and chips for BREAKFAST in this country.

I believe "SSI" is Social Security Income; Talk about the biggest PONZI SCHEME EVER, do not get me started on HANDOUTS as "SSI" is one of the biggest! :o

Sorry to get off topic.

As hunger stands in thailand, I have seen it from Bangkok to Chang Rai...

There is a difference between hunger and starvation. Some of the people around here eat the young leaves off the trees but i do not think that option is available to the kids in Klong Toey slums.

As was pointed out before not many go hungry in the villages but they do not have money for education. Plenty of work for charities to provide for other basic needs that the government does not take care of. By the way the government schools do have free lunches as of a couple of months ago. The parents still need to come up with a couple of thousand baht a year for books and whatever else the school is using the money for (the books do not cost even 400 baht) plus money for uniforms. Something as simple as getting rid of uniforms would enable some more kids to go to school. Also when i went to school we used the same books from year to year. Why doesn't the gov buy books and recycle them from student to student instead of draining the pocket books of the poor parents?

No one goes short of food in the Isaan village where I live. In fact they never seem to stop eating.

Granted by western standards they do not own a a lot and some of the kids miss out on school but they never go hungry.

I live not too far from you and yes, this is my experience too.

They eat all day. Obesity seems to be an increasing problem. Certainly diabetes, which I guess is due to the massive intake of sticky rice (stik rye). My next door neighbour died of it this year.

Hunger in the cities is a growing possibility in my opinion.

Something as simple as getting rid of uniforms would enable some more kids to go to school.

There are 3 types of uniforms (in price and quality but almost identical in looks).

Lotus type 1 set: shoes, socks, blouse and skirt would be less than 500 baht. The most expensive set could go 1500B.

Getting rid of the uniforms might make 1 in 10,000 kids be able to go to school but it would, perversely, destroy the very reason the uniforms exist: to equal the kids and remove most obvious signs of wealth/poverty at home.

Now, in what kind of clothes would that, newly empowered kid, be coming to school, if 500B uniform was the reason for absentia?

At the same time, well off in the class may be coming in Burberry or some other sign of wealth brand of clothes.

Edited by think_too_mut

Something as simple as getting rid of uniforms would enable some more kids to go to school.

There are 3 types of uniforms (in price and quality but almost identical in looks).

Lotus type 1 set: shoes, socks, blouse and skirt would be less than 500 baht. The most expensive set could go 1500B.

Getting rid of the uniforms might make 1 in 10,000 kids be able to go to school but it would, perversely, destroy the very reason the uniforms exist: to equal the kids and remove most obvious signs of wealth/poverty at home.

Now, in what kind of clothes would that, newly empowered kid, be coming to school, if 500B uniform was the reason for absentia?

At the same time, well off in the class may be coming in Burberry or some other sign of wealth brand of clothes.

I completely agree with this.

uniforms are completely worthless, they dont keep classes off campus.

1) kids talk, kids know exactly who'S dirt poor, who's mom is a whore and who is rich.

2) hygiene, for the most part the poorer they are the dirtier they look

3) schools that costs money usualy dont have uniforms.

anyways kids are gonna get picked on if they're fat or have silly haircut, not because they're dirt poor. i mean whatever clothes they wear. even the kids with money wear clothes from tesco it's not like theres a ton of choice in thailand for actual nice clothes. Everything is the same everywhere unless you pay a ton at paragon, it's not like other countries where every store has its own style and own designers.

uniforms are completely worthless, they dont keep classes off campus.

1) kids talk, kids know exactly who'S dirt poor, who's mom is a whore and who is rich.

2) hygiene, for the most part the poorer they are the dirtier they look

3) schools that costs money usualy dont have uniforms.

anyways kids are gonna get picked on if they're fat or have silly haircut, not because they're dirt poor. i mean whatever clothes they wear. even the kids with money wear clothes from tesco it's not like theres a ton of choice in thailand for actual nice clothes. Everything is the same everywhere unless you pay a ton at paragon, it's not like other countries where every store has its own style and own designers.

Monkey, the schools that cost money will never see you anyway.

even the kids with money wear clothes from tesco it's not like theres a ton of choice in thailand for actual nice clothes. Everything is the same everywhere unless you pay a ton at paragon, it's not like other countries where every store has its own style and own designers;

Correct I always wonder why people call Thailand a choppers paradise, becauqe the choices in every product from food to cars are very limited.

even the kids with money wear clothes from tesco it's not like theres a ton of choice in thailand for actual nice clothes. Everything is the same everywhere unless you pay a ton at paragon, it's not like other countries where every store has its own style and own designers;

Correct I always wonder why people call Thailand a choppers paradise, becauqe the choices in every product from food to cars are very limited.

Thailand was actually one of the only places I could get very big pants.

Maybe it has something to do with the over priced Harley Davidsons. :o

. . . and '94 Honda Civics which sell for three grand Sterling! :D:D:D

[/color]

:D

Maybe he was referring to the time-honoured Thai (woman) custom of "chopping" off parts of her unfaithful spouse and feeing them to the ducks ? :D

(but yeah, Harley's are over-priced too :D )

Nono, just misspelling, it should be shoppers not choppers, don't even know how to drive one.

The point I wanted to make - false claims that Thailand has hunger problems.

There's plenty of poor people in Thailand, and plenty that don't get enough to eat or have nutritional problems. But you'll find them mostly in unfashionable rural areas, along the borders and NE where overfed expats don't like to go.

There's plenty of poor people in Thailand, and plenty that don't get enough to eat or have nutritional problems. But you'll find them mostly in unfashionable rural areas, along the borders and NE where overfed expats don't like to go.

Now I've pondered this. Hunger measured in calorific values is low, across most of the world. Where hunger is measured in balanced nutrition, big problem.

Luckily, we have Geldof and Bono to ride in an save the world largest rice exporter from hunger. What a nonsense.

At least, when they have nothing else - they have rice to default to.

And what do you mean "along the borders where well fed expats do not go"? Youself never been away from Sukhumvit?

My wife's hometown is Wang Sombun, 15km from Cambodia, dirt poor featureless shithole and rice farming is all they have there. As she said a few posts above, it's a plain lie that anyone goes hungry there.

True, the kids may salivate when they see junk food ads for McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut....but that's far from hunger, could be even good for them that they don't have it available or would not be able to afford it.

Edited by think_too_mut

Think too mutt --- you need to think more. There is a great difference between 'hungry' and having a proper diet that doesn't lead to malnutrition of having developmentally delayed children. (Yes they are still having to push to get people to use salt with iodine in Thailand)

Think too mutt --- you need to think more. There is a great difference between 'hungry' and having a proper diet that doesn't lead to malnutrition of having developmentally delayed children. (Yes they are still having to push to get people to use salt with iodine in Thailand)

Does that make the perfect case for saviors like Geldof and Bono?

What is your issue with people that raise other people's awareness; think too mutt?

does a case need to be "perfect" to be useful? Do people fall between the cracks in Thailand? Is there a less than "perfect" social security system here for the poor? What about people with no families? or people that left the area where they grew up years and years ago? People fall through the cracks and people in fact DO go hungry here. (often a matter of pride more so than necessity.

I, for one, think that it is a good thing to raise awareness of hunger and malnutrition anywhere!

What is your issue with people that raise other people's awareness; think too mutt?

does a case need to be "perfect" to be useful? Do people fall between the cracks in Thailand? Is there a less than "perfect" social security system here for the poor? What about people with no families? or people that left the area where they grew up years and years ago? People fall through the cracks and people in fact DO go hungry here. (often a matter of pride more so than necessity.

I, for one, think that it is a good thing to raise awareness of hunger and malnutrition anywhere!

Yeah, I'm starvin', Marvin!

Wos' for breakfast?

I completely agree with this.

Do you think that the kids were the same uniform every day ????????????????????????????????????? At the thai schools they have 4 different uniforms. Monday and Tuesday are the same uniform so if you only want to buy 4 sets then the same set must be worn 2 days in a row. Along with these 4 different uniforms comes with 3 different shoe sets. So now you are talking about 2,500 baht for a set of school clothes plus 2,000 baht for books & school fees. Therefore people that are on the poverty line of 1,500 baht a month have to borrow 4,500 baht for their kids to go to school. Even for those that are lucky enough to make minimum wage will take an entire months salary to start school.

Edited by wolfmanjack