Kawasaki Ninja 250 - New Thread, 12/2008

PeaceBlondie

Is that the same hp rating as the EU version? If it's the same, why all the hostility about using a EU Power Commander. If it's not the same, can you provide a link that states that Kawasaki is using two different ECUs, one for Thailand and one for the rest of the world? Because it's not making sense to me that such a scenario would happen.

Hiya Dave!

Happy New Year!!! :o

I don't know anything about the Euro Ninja 250R except that it's sold "restricted" because there's a HP limit on bikes sold in Europe. Bard knows more details as he's actually spoken with the company (DynoJet) that makes the Power Commander. He posted on the old Ninja 250R thread that according to DynoJet the ECUs differ on the Thai and EURO Ninjas and DynoJet is going to work with Bard to develop a PowerCommander specifically for the unrestricted Thai Ninja 250R.

From the DynoJet site for the Ninja 250R:

2008 Kawasaki EX250 (European Only)

Manufacturer: Kawasaki

Model: EX250 (European Only) Year: 2008

Link: http://www.powercommander.com/powercommand...227&yr=2008

Happy Trails!

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is that the same hp rating as the EU version? If it's the same, why all the hostility about using a EU Power Commander. If it's not the same, can you provide a link that states that Kawasaki is using two different ECUs, one for Thailand and one for the rest of the world? Because it's not making sense to me that such a scenario would happen.

Hiya Dave!

Happy New Year!!! :o

I don't know anything about the Euro Ninja 250R except that it's sold "restricted" because there's a HP limit on bikes sold in Europe. Bard knows more details as he's actually spoken with the company (DynoJet) that makes the Power Commander. He posted on the old Ninja 250R thread that according to DynoJet the ECUs differ on the Thai and EURO Ninjas and DynoJet is going to work with Bard to develop a PowerCommander specifically for the unrestricted Thai Ninja 250R.

From the DynoJet site for the Ninja 250R:

2008 Kawasaki EX250 (European Only)

Manufacturer: Kawasaki

Model: EX250 (European Only) Year: 2008

Link: http://www.powercommander.com/powercommand...227&yr=2008

Happy Trails!

First, in the UK (which I believe has the same regulations as the EU) the 'learner' rider is limited to 25 kw (33 HP) machines. That's the same as the rating being thrown around in this thread. So once again, where is this thought that the Thai version has a radically different rating? Is the Thai version lacking a catalytic convertor or is there a freer flowing exhaust system? Are the injectors larger? Is the intake tract different? Does it have a higher compression ratio? Just why would the ECU be different? I found this link also; it list the UK version as being 24 kw.

As far as DynoJet putting "European Only"; I can only surmise that since 49% of the population is even stupider than the average American (and according to whois, DynoJet is based in the States), they put that there so little click bunnies didn't order one for a States version and then get all pissy that it was not needed for their bikes.....

Edited by dave_boo

90 MPH sounds slow for a 250 ???

EPG.

That's an actual 90 MPH. Indicated was ~99. And as I pointed out, there was still a little bit of breathing room; I ran out of space to keep going faster. And if you were to look over other 250s that's about what's in line with a stocker.

However, at 75 or 90 or 100 there's not going to be much difference if someone hits you!

I've cruised BKK-CNX-BKK on the little Ninja a couple of times now and with the throttle wide open the Ninjette scoots along at a respectable 170km/hr indicated. I understand the speedo is not terribly accurate however. With an aftermarket pipe and re-gearing I've read that the Ninja 250R can do 200km/hr or more.

Yeah when we were on that day.. We pulled indicated speeds in the 160 - 180 range.. My GPS had a top speed logged at IIRC 164kph.. So something around there..

Tho I have to say adding 40 kph to that would be quite a jump wouldnt it ?? I dont know how hard it pulls top, or where the revs are at that speed.. But your kind of looking at 25% increase there, sounds optimistic to me but maybe the pipe is really holding it back ??

All I gots to say about this is in the 1970s I had a Honda 450 twin that was rated at 45 horsepower and it was good for about 100 miles an hour and that's about it. But it accelerated pretty hard until it got to 90 or so. Later I got a BWW R-65 horizonal twin and it was rated at 50 horsepower. I'd say about 105 miles an hour would catch it. So what's the Euro version of the Ninja rated at---33 horsepower? American version at 27? Ah.....let's see........my BMW twin weighed only 408 pounds.

I'd really like to see the difference between EU and Thai version because my bike is done for 33HP and It has the same performance as yours, arround 175km/h on the indicator speedo.

I think the say EU powercommander to not the american buy this article (yes some are stupid)

I've cruised BKK-CNX-BKK on the little Ninja a couple of times now and with the throttle wide open the Ninjette scoots along at a respectable 170km/hr indicated.

Yeah when we were on that day.. We pulled indicated speeds in the 160 - 180 range.. My GPS had a top speed logged at IIRC 164kph.. So something around there..

Tho I have to say adding 40 kph to that would be quite a jump wouldnt it ?? I dont know how hard it pulls top, or where the revs are at that speed.. But your kind of looking at 25% increase there, sounds optimistic to me but maybe the pipe is really holding it back ??

Ummmh, I suppose the Ninja would be at the upper range of it's RPM sweep when BBB was hitting 170 kph. I also doubt that a 25% increase would be possible....but than again my Ninja didn't have any great problem pulling up from ~140-160 indicated.

All I gots to say about this is in the 1970s I had a Honda 450 twin that was rated at 45 horsepower and it was good for about 100 miles an hour and that's about it. But it accelerated pretty hard until it got to 90 or so. Later I got a BWW R-65 horizonal twin and it was rated at 50 horsepower. I'd say about 105 miles an hour would catch it. So what's the Euro version of the Ninja rated at---33 horsepower? American version at 27? Ah.....let's see........my BMW twin weighed only 408 pounds.

Thanks for giving real life examples. Your BMW was running with 3.71 kg/HP. The Ninja 250 runs with 5.10 kg/HP. I'm not seeing it hit the postulated 200 kph (125 MPH) without serious work.

Thats interesting top speed information on a stock bike?

Maybe I can give you a touch up with my raider afterall :o

I'm sure that someone could give you the oppotunity to put up or shut up.

So, the stock FI Ninja 250R puts out 33HP and can cruise at somewhere between ~150-170km/hr actual. Aftermarket pipe will add 4-6 more HP and cut weight. Re-gearing can also add to top end, but I have no idea how much. Any of you number guys (DAVE or LivinLOS :o ) able to calculate what an extra 4-6HP and re-gearing would add to the top end? Like I said earlier, I read that someone had clocked 200km/hr with these mods, but now I can't find the thread where I read it... I thought it was on the 2fiddy.com forum... (Personally I'm happy with the top speed I get now- on a bike that light and on Thai roads I generally would not feel comfortable going much faster.)

Happy Trails! :D

Theres no way I could 'calc' it.. But remember increasing power doesnt simply increase speed in the same proportion.. Ever increasing wind resistance will act logarithmically on speed.

Adding approx 13 - 19% more bhp (4 - 6hp) would be highly unlikely to gain a 25% top speed increase is all I am guessing.. I wouldnt be surprised to hear it was possible on a Ninjette but reckon it would be a more total workover (cams. gas flowed head, compression, FI remap, injector tweaks, plus the exhaust).. An interesting exercise and no doubt fun but ultimately probably not economic on a 250 v moving up.

So, the stock FI Ninja 250R puts out 33HP and can cruise at somewhere between ~150-170km/hr actual. Aftermarket pipe will add 4-6 more HP and cut weight. Re-gearing can also add to top end, but I have no idea how much. Any of you number guys (DAVE or LivinLOS :o ) able to calculate what an extra 4-6HP and re-gearing would add to the top end? Like I said earlier, I read that someone had clocked 200km/hr with these mods, but now I can't find the thread where I read it... I thought it was on the 2fiddy.com forum... (Personally I'm happy with the top speed I get now- on a bike that light and on Thai roads I generally would not feel comfortable going much faster.)

Happy Trails! :D

I'll take a stab at it. My previous comparison of the R65 and the Ninja was incomplete. If we were to assume that jackcorbett was 80 kilos at the time of ownership of the BMW, and then compare it to an 80 kilo Ninja rider it would be more true. Stock Ninja would be hauling around 7.06 kg/hp with rider and the BMW would be hauling around 5.31 kg/hp. So the Ninja would have to work ~42% harder to have the same performance. Now assuming that you lose 6 kilos and gain 6 hp with an exhaust swap, you end up with 5.98 kg/hp, meaning the Ninja is working ~13% harder.

Wind resistance is going to be a factor, and the fairing on the Ninja is going to count for quite a bit. The BMW had none, as evidenced in the following photo. This added drag counts against it.

r65.jpg

Another point to consider is gearing.

BMW

4.4 / 2.86 / 2.07 / 1.67 / 1.50 3.44 (final) (according to my math it had a primary drive no lower than 2.0)

Ninja

2.6 / 1.79 / 1.41 / 1.16 / 1.00 / .0893 3.07 (final)

Obviously the BMW was geared much lower than the Ninja. The increased torque from the BMW lends itself to this, and would seem to put it in a league higher than possible with the Ninja.

But all this is academic. A Ninja with stock sprockets is incapable of hitting an indicated 200 (although iit would come within 3 kph). If you were to change the sprockets, the added power needed to accomdate the smaller mechanical advantage offered by the new sprockets will throw current calculations off. And for the record, to reach your indicated 200, you'd have to have a 14/42 setup.

Currently you've got 170 indicated WOT. That's 153 actual. You would have to increase your speed an actual 27 KPH to have an indicated 200. That means you need 17% more gearing. However, if you're WOT and only pulling a real 153, you're actually 25% off the theoretical top speed. Totally discounting wind resistance logarithmic increase, you'd have to have gearing that would actually take you to a theoretical top speed of 225. That's 15/36 sprockets. 15/36 sprockets gives you a ratio of 2.4, or 28% less mechanical advantage.

So unless you find a way to increase your power by a minimum of 28% to the rear wheel, write the idea off.

Way too much detail and guesswork but..

Currently you've got 170 indicated WOT. That's 153 actual.

I think Tony was pulling just a bit more than that...

As I said my GPS which should be accurateish had a 164 (I think.. It was +160) and Tony and I were kinda neck and neck top speed which is amazing considering a bandit should put out 60hp.. The fairing and lighter rider, plus ropey nature of my old bandit made it close, I felt like I could fairly easily reel in over acceleration and at mid speeds and had a tiny bit more (like just a kph or so) at flat out.. But when he ducked behind the screen and really held on if I let him get a bit of distance, it would take a long way to reel him back in. When the engine size and power output (plus reliability :o) are considered thats a big achievement for the Ninja..

Also of note is the rider weight.. Put me (110 - 115 kg) on a 250 and its going to have to fight a lot harder than Tony who I am guessing is ballpark 85 ish ?? For me the 250 class 4 strokes just a shade under what I would consider owning by choice.. The D-Tracker is the same, feels great but just lacking a little sparkle especially for the bigger guy, maybe a different exhaust and a FI remap could be the tipping point (especially on the d-Tracker which isnt a top end speed type bike).. So when ride advice or these in absolute detail to the kph top speed things are mentioned, its worth remembering I would get a lot less than Tony or the average Thai rider.

Either way.. Kwaker has a price point and model range that beats any of the other names out in Thailand.. I havent yet gone to my local to hear his excuses on the ER6 yet but will do soon.

Way too much detail and guesswork but..
Currently you've got 170 indicated WOT. That's 153 actual.

I think Tony was pulling just a bit more than that...

As I said my GPS which should be accurateish had a 164 (I think.. It was +160) and Tony and I were kinda neck and neck top speed which is amazing considering a bandit should put out 60hp.. The fairing and lighter rider, plus ropey nature of my old bandit made it close, I felt like I could fairly easily reel in over acceleration and at mid speeds and had a tiny bit more (like just a kph or so) at flat out.. But when he ducked behind the screen and really held on if I let him get a bit of distance, it would take a long way to reel him back in. When the engine size and power output (plus reliability :o ) are considered thats a big achievement for the Ninja..

Also of note is the rider weight.. Put me (110 - 115 kg) on a 250 and its going to have to fight a lot harder than Tony who I am guessing is ballpark 85 ish ?? For me the 250 class 4 strokes just a shade under what I would consider owning by choice.. The D-Tracker is the same, feels great but just lacking a little sparkle especially for the bigger guy, maybe a different exhaust and a FI remap could be the tipping point (especially on the d-Tracker which isnt a top end speed type bike).. So when ride advice or these in absolute detail to the kph top speed things are mentioned, its worth remembering I would get a lot less than Tony or the average Thai rider.

Either way.. Kwaker has a price point and model range that beats any of the other names out in Thailand.. I havent yet gone to my local to hear his excuses on the ER6 yet but will do soon.

Yes, there's a lot of assumptions in my figuring. The Iron Butt Ride showed that the Ninjas are 10% out, which has been confirmed by both mine and Bard's GPS units. So if you were running neck to neck at 164 proper, Tony was indicating 180. That actual is with in 8% of the theoretical top speed. Dropping down to a 42 rear sprocket and going up to a 15 front, will get you an indicated 200. To actually hit a real live 200, you'd need a 15 front 38 rear; that's assuming the bike will stay at 8% of the theoretical limit!

Dave. stop going of at the mouth and give the guy a straight line race. then all is sorted. and its fuc_k all to do with how much money you have. correct tyre pressure my arse.

the Raider is a very competent bike it is unlikely to beat a Ninja 250 in a straight line but through traffic uuummm not so sure.

So give the guy a ride and stop spouting <deleted>. not all of us have loads of money, some of us have modest incomes living here in Thailand but are very happy with our modest belongings and very happy balanced lives.

Allan

Does this new Ninja thread need all this crap ??

And Ninja v a raider.. The Ninja should have it across the whole speed range I would have guessed.. However a well ridden raider through bangkok traffic ?? A hard machine / location combo for anything to beat.. They go like a rat up a drainpipe through gaps you didnt even know where there.

I havent yet gone to my local to hear his excuses on the ER6 yet but will do soon.

Hi LivinLOS! Happy New Year! Did you hear some news on the ER-6n? Will the release be delayed as rumored? I'm out of the country so would appreciate any info you might have.

Dave and NeverDie- pretty fun to watch you guys go at it, but you guys need to CHILL! Where is the love?! :o

I'm just as happy riding with somebody on a Raider as I am trying to keep up with Trent on his XJR1300. The bike is a lot less important than the attitude of the guy riding it.

Happy Trails!

I havent yet gone to my local to hear his excuses on the ER6 yet but will do soon.

Hi LivinLOS! Happy New Year! Did you hear some news on the ER-6n?

At this point I dont know anything, but havent heard of its arrival yet either..

Been meaning to get out and check but I have visiting houseguests.. And high season visiting mates who need to be shown the lowest spots :o !!

Happy new year to you too man.. Hope we manage some meets over the year, will make the effort to head up north more.

Was on Bira yesterday and tested out the track with me, Simon and Trent. Mine is exhaust upgraded, Simon was on Stock Ninja 250 and Trent had his flying fridge. The lesson learned with Stock vs Area-P was that I never changed gear on the track at all just kept 4th and did nice from slower in the curves, uphill to 140 km/h indicated on speedo on the straight section without any problem. Simon in Stock had to work the gear all the track to be able to ride it properly. To say the least it is way more torque and power with the upgrade, and I can really see the benefit of changing the sprocket in front to the 15 to match the upgrade a bit better. But if you're after 0-100 just do the upgrade and keep the stock sprocket kit.

btw Trent's fridge was to heavy for the track, was some other cool bikes there as well, 250 moto, R1, ZX-6RR, and so on, the 250's were real fun on the track being so nimble it was great fun and we all learned a lot by riding the track. Think a 600 supersport would be extreme fun on the track though. A very good value added bonus was to meet up with some really cool guys who was racers and shared lot of knowledge with all of us. A perfect day out.

Cheers Bard

Was on Bira yesterday and tested out the track with me, Simon and Trent. Mine is exhaust upgraded, Simon was on Stock Ninja 250 and Trent had his flying fridge. The lesson learned with Stock vs Area-P was that I never changed gear on the track at all just kept 4th and did nice from slower in the curves, uphill to 140 km/h indicated on speedo on the straight section without any problem. Simon in Stock had to work the gear all the track to be able to ride it properly. To say the least it is way more torque and power with the upgrade, and I can really see the benefit of changing the sprocket in front to the 15 to match the upgrade a bit better. But if you're after 0-100 just do the upgrade and keep the stock sprocket kit.

btw Trent's fridge was to heavy for the track, was some other cool bikes there as well, 250 moto, R1, ZX-6RR, and so on, the 250's were real fun on the track being so nimble it was great fun and we all learned a lot by riding the track. Think a 600 supersport would be extreme fun on the track though. A very good value added bonus was to meet up with some really cool guys who was racers and shared lot of knowledge with all of us. A perfect day out.

Cheers Bard

Good report. Out of curiousity, how close to each other were you in weight? Did that play a big factor in him having to row through the gears, or was it all due to the Area-P upgrade?

Wish I had been there; seeing Trent wrestle his Yamaha around would have been mildly amusing. I need to try and make the trip down to Bira, the only track time in my life was behind Seacon which would be much too small to have much fun on a Ninjette.

Think me and Simon is pretty close in weight to be honest, maybe a couple of pounds in difference but not anything much. It really concluded with my personal experience with the Area-P that you gain a lot more than you would expect from the bike with it. The torque is much better, and it does lift the front so the front wheel barely touch when you wrench it in acceleration in 1, 2 and still noticeably in 3rd. In the hope of not getting shit for it it pulls all the way to the rpm limiter at 14,500 rpm when it kicks in and stop you from harming the engine any further.

Never did test this on the stock engine though...

All I can say about Bira is that the track is really good, and a great challenge loved riding it with Trent and Simon, and would probably love it even more if me and Trent didn't drink until bloody 3 o'clock in the morning the day before. After the ride we all went to Pattaya for some chilled beers which did help a lot though.

Couple of other things we learned from the Ninjette is this;

Stock tires are dangerous on the track, when we started to push it I managed to slide on the front wheel in a double apex no accident but pretty sobering. Simon almost did the same, and we both were sliding a lot on the rear wheel in the curves. This was on really hot tires so for anyone wanting to try an emergency turn beware you might slide on your front tire which is pretty hard to control on the road, so I strongly advice to test out the bike in a controlled area such as Bira or wherever there is plenty of shoulder to let you control yourself out of it.

Fuel consumption on the track, do not expect more than 200 km out of a full tank there maximum, so fill up before you get going as you easily do 200 km from 9 to 12 including drinking, smoking and toilet stops.

Lastly do bring a towel and clean t-shirt you sweat like no tomorrow, and the stench was so bad some of us had to take of all the clothes in the bars afterwards :o

Anyways Dave and anyone else who want the challenge of a real track Bira is great, just do it. If I'm home I'll join it cost a 1000 baht for 1/2 a day and you won't regret it, with all the gain in knowledge of your bike and getting the limits of things plus improving riding skills it is all worth every baht. All you need to go there is your bike, or a rented one and a helmet, I do recommend to be fully protected though in worst case scenario you will be OK unless you high side.

Cheers Bard

Think me and Simon is pretty close in weight to be honest, maybe a couple of pounds in difference but not anything much. It really concluded with my personal experience with the Area-P that you gain a lot more than you would expect from the bike with it. The torque is much better, and it does lift the front so the front wheel barely touch when you wrench it in acceleration in 1, 2 and still noticeably in 3rd. In the hope of not getting shit for it it pulls all the way to the rpm limiter at 14,500 rpm when it kicks in and stop you from harming the engine any further.

Never did test this on the stock engine though...

Good news. The exhaust upgrade sounds like a more than necessary thing to do, especially if it increases the torque that much. Wonder what your times would have been like with out that soggy, bottoming out front end; or is that just my personal problem from being a lard ass?

All I can say about Bira is that the track is really good, and a great challenge loved riding it with Trent and Simon, and would probably love it even more if me and Trent didn't drink until bloody 3 o'clock in the morning the day before. After the ride we all went to Pattaya for some chilled beers which did help a lot though.

I liked the track behind Seacon, nice and tight so it teaches you a lot about selecting your corners, being in the right gear and what not. But let's face it-it's a go kart track and can only do so much for you. Yes you can go fast, and as the day went on I went faster, but with a hopped up automatic you can go just as fast as a dude on a CBR-150 through the technical bits. And it wouldn't do the Ninja justice unless you like staying in second gear around the whole track (if even that!).

Couple of other things we learned from the Ninjette is this;

Stock tires are dangerous on the track, when we started to push it I managed to slide on the front wheel in a double apex no accident but pretty sobering. Simon almost did the same, and we both were sliding a lot on the rear wheel in the curves. This was on really hot tires so for anyone wanting to try an emergency turn beware you might slide on your front tire which is pretty hard to control on the road, so I strongly advice to test out the bike in a controlled area such as Bira or wherever there is plenty of shoulder to let you control yourself out of it.

:o I think I've been shouting that from the rooftops. Of course when I state it people assume I'm making excuses for being a sub-par rider (not that I'm an expert or anything). What really clued me in though was the fact that the front tyre on mine always wants to chirp rather than have a stoppie, rather disconcerting actually.

Fuel consumption on the track, do not expect more than 200 km out of a full tank there maximum, so fill up before you get going as you easily do 200 km from 9 to 12 including drinking, smoking and toilet stops.

I was about to question your concern about fuel consumption until I re-read it. And that just prompts a question: They don't have petrol there or allow you to leave and fuel up? How did that affect Trent's day, as in was he able to finish it out due to not having to rev as hard as the little machine and therefore save petrol?

Lastly do bring a towel and clean t-shirt you sweat like no tomorrow, and the stench was so bad some of us had to take of all the clothes in the bars afterwards :D

Anyways Dave and anyone else who want the challenge of a real track Bira is great, just do it. If I'm home I'll join it cost a 1000 baht for 1/2 a day and you won't regret it, with all the gain in knowledge of your bike and getting the limits of things plus improving riding skills it is all worth every baht. All you need to go there is your bike, or a rented one and a helmet, I do recommend to be fully protected though in worst case scenario you will be OK unless you high side.

Hmm, when I get home I'll show this to my ol' lady and convince her we really do need to hit up the Adult Disneyland.

Cheers Bard

Ok, I've been in contact with this company and they're willing to ship to Thailand. I've abandoned the Indonesian exhaust idea for the Yoshi carbon. Only concern is the pipes since I'm not sure if they're going to be a major source of restriction. Also I've got the HEl front brake lines, swingarm sliders, K&N oil filtre, and the 15 tooth front sprocket.

I've told them that I could possibly find some other buyers for products and they indicated they could do a bulk order for savings on shipping. Look through their products and drop me a line if you're interested.

**edit**

added the link.

Edited by dave_boo

I got 3 off 15 teeth front sprockets in the mail, thanks to Allan. Think they're sub 300 baht or similar. I would be interested in the brake lines plus galfer pads though.

If anyone is interested I got 2 spare 15 front sprockets laying in my house for cost price.

Cheers Bard

I got 3 off 15 teeth front sprockets in the mail, thanks to Allan. Think they're sub 300 baht or similar. I would be interested in the brake lines plus galfer pads though.

If anyone is interested I got 2 spare 15 front sprockets laying in my house for cost price.

Cheers Bard

So mark you down? And do you really think that the pads need upgrading, or do you have enough kilometers on your bike to justify the purchase?

For everyone; I can float the cost as long as the total orders from everyone else doesn't exceed 500 USD. Well, technically it's not a problem for more than that, but ensuring I recoup any IOUs is kinda important. Good news is that I've already hit their price point that allows a 3% savings, so consider that when you order.

Yepp get me down for brake lines, the pads well more stopping power does not hurt at all so it's a good one if they're not to expensive.

Trent got 150 km out of a tank btw. You can fill not far away from the track, but you don't really want to dick around with that when you're on the track you just want to have fun :o

Cheers Bard

Hi Guys ... I'm just back from holiday in the USA. I returned with a Two Brothers Carbon Exhaust :o for the Ninjette plus some wheel stripes. The bike looks and sounds great now ... but, I'm a bit embarrassed by how loud it is. My girlfriend keeps warning me that I'm in-line for a lot of trouble from the boys in brown.

Pics coming as soon as I get my hosting service set-up.

As for the crappy tires, I'm glad to hear that's the problem.... I thought maybe it was my riding skill. I have scared myself sh*tless on several occasions while accelerating through the apex of a corner .. the tail gets loose in a hurry. Please let me know if you all find some place to buy quality tires here in Thailand.