Internship / Work Placement Work Permit

Hello,

does anyone know if it is possible to get a workpermit for a work placement which is listed on the prohibited work list for foreigners? The placement would be in the category A field: beautician, spa area work :o

thanks

Mario

Hello,

does anyone know if it is possible to get a workpermit for a work placement which is listed on the prohibited work list for foreigners? The placement would be in the category A field: beautician, spa area work :o

thanks

Mario

I would think its highly unlikely - its "prohibited" to foreigners and would need a change in the law.

You state it is an internship, for which no work permit is required as it is considered part of your education. Believe you will need to be registered at a recognized educational institute in Thailand. Your school should know more about this.

I asked not for me, but for my GF :-)

But anyway, when I seached for internship in the forum I found that some guys wrote you need a WP for every kind of work - even as internship. Now I'm a bit confused :o

You state it is an internship, for which no work permit is required as it is considered part of your education. Believe you will need to be registered at a recognized educational institute in Thailand. Your school should know more about this.

I asked not for me, but for my GF :-)

But anyway, when I seached for internship in the forum I found that some guys wrote you need a WP for every kind of work - even as internship. Now I'm a bit confused :o

I went to a Thai Univeristy and researched and went through this whole process...

The issue is whether or not it she is attending a Thai Univeristy or a Foreign University.

If a Thai University:

Then she is here on a Non IM ED visa and it is not possible to get a work permit on this type of visa. What she will need is a letter from her university stating that the internship is required for graduation. She will then need to take this letter to counter number one at Immigration (Suan Plu).

They will then imput it into their system, no work permit required. (They may need to ask their supervisor as this situation does not occur very often).

If a foreign Universtiy:

She will need to apply for Non-B and go through the normal work permit process.

Thanks for the additional information, my only experience deals with University studies.

Are those studying at Dive Schools allowed to be interns as well? Do you have any experience with this or other trade schools? Do you know if they need to go to immigration to register their internships in the same manner?

Sorry, I don't know much about how they go about the papperwork. They might also need a letter from the ministery of education. I'm surprised you needed to go to immigration, the labour office would have been more logical.

For the visa itself I know that educational visa's are given for things like courses at Muay Thai schools, cooking schools, diving schools, etc.

The reason why you have to go to immigration is so that the immigration officers can make a note of it in their system. I would guess that this is needed, so if your company was ever inspectected there is a note of it.

In this very limited case, it is not considered work, but rather "Study" so it is linked to your ED visa. So labor department does not feel that they should get involved and everything should handled through window one at Suan Plu.

One additional note:

I am not sure how liberal this policy is. In my case the external internship was a 4 credit class that I needed to register, pay tuition for and was a required element of the degree program.

Edited by CWMcMurray

The reason why you have to go to immigration is so that the immigration officers can make a note of it in their system. I would guess that this is needed, so if your company was ever inspectected there is a note of it.

In this very limited case, it is not considered work, but rather "Study" so it is linked to your ED visa. So labor department does not feel that they should get involved and everything should handled through window one at Suan Plu.

One additional note:

I am not sure how liberal this policy is. In my case the external internship was a 4 credit class that I needed to register, pay tuition for and was a required element of the degree program.

thanks for the interesting posts!

We'll let the school call to the immigration and ask what's required. I will let you know how it works later