Hard Times In Expat Thailand

Ricardo

Budget is the same today as it was in 2002. I did have the G/F pay the electric bill using her bank account. She runs around turning off the lights now. Saves about Bt1,000 a month. Still only have one live in maid. Use public transportation. Save a bundle on car, insurance and maintenance. We have a lot of dinner parties so I pray the guests bring good wine. I'm American so I tip like a madman and hope for good karma. Just handed out red envelops to the buildings maids, security guards, front desk staff and shuttle boat drivers. The New Year holiday is a killer and Valentine's Day is just around the corner.

The only time I was getting concerned about finances was when the Baht got close to 31 to the USD. I think it's the weak Dollar that is propping up the Baht. If we ever see 40 again I will spend more just for fun.

The posters who advocate caution in the deepening global economic crisis are very smart. Everyone should have at least 3 years of living expenses as an emergency fund.

I am constantly reassessing my decision to remain in Thailand and always try to have a Plan B. Right now it seems that everything is going downhill. I could not ever return to live in the US and my contacts there report doom and gloom and fear it will continue for a while.

Good luck to everyone and have a great New Year!

Budget is the same today as it was in 2002. I did have the G/F pay the electric bill using her bank account. She runs around turning off the lights now. Saves about Bt1,000 a month. Still only have one live in maid. Use public transportation. Save a bundle on car, insurance and maintenance. We have a lot of dinner parties so I pray the guests bring good wine. I'm American so I tip like a madman and hope for good karma. Just handed out red envelops to the buildings maids, security guards, front desk staff and shuttle boat drivers. The New Year holiday is a killer and Valentine's Day is just around the corner.

The only time I was getting concerned about finances was when the Baht got close to 31 to the USD. I think it's the weak Dollar that is propping up the Baht. If we ever see 40 again I will spend more just for fun.

The posters who advocate caution in the deepening global economic crisis are very smart. Everyone should have at least 3 years of living expenses as an emergency fund.

I am constantly reassessing my decision to remain in Thailand and always try to have a Plan B. Right now it seems that everything is going downhill. I could not ever return to live in the US and my contacts there report doom and gloom and fear it will continue for a while.

Good luck to everyone and have a great New Year!

When is the next dinner party? I will bring some Barolo or a few Bin 2. :o

Well said Grant.

I've not gone as wild on the drink and women as I used to.

1 wild night a month and the usual in-between scene in the bars with the girls.

Switching to a smaller city away from any of the tourist areas works wonders I find :o

Thai food has increased by about 5 baht from a few years back, no great threat there.

Fuels cheap again but that also means work (I work in oil and gas) is also scarce so its swings and roundabouts.

I tour a lot more on my bike to take advantage of the cheap gas.

Thai bars and kareokes are the order of the day now, they are (usually) cheaper and more fun than beer bars too :D

Well this is the first time I've left the moo baan in a week, if I don't go out I don't spend any money. :o

I've got a stack of dvds indoors, a bookshelf full of paperbacks, a pair of running shoes and a swimming pool in the moo baan, a few beers in the garden and it's not so bad a life.

Compared with a year ago my life is better off. At that time i was living in an expensive place on a crap wage. Now i stay in a cheap place on a better wage. Not much to do, but that saves money. If i feel like a blowout it's only a couple of hours to a number of choice places. But then again, i'm earning baht. The only downside was money sent to me for Xmas this year. It was pound sterling which has gone from 70-50 in a year - ouch!!

I know you meant <deleted>, and, yes, you're right. That expense had to go.

You might want to google twot. :D

As to the topic, the lower oil prices have helped, plus cut down on the beer. Looking at the rubber trees and wishing them to grow faster. :o

Times are hard, the value of my overseas-investments are down, living-costs are rising, and the Strong Baht reduces further the value of my money when I bring it into Thailand. I'm not skint ... but I am hurting. :o

So like many other expats, I've looked to reduce my monthly outgoings, in what small ways I can. (Imagine a smilie in-a-kilt here !)

For example, I no longer cook with healthy tasty olive-oil, at 400B per litre, but instead use healthy-ish sunflower-oils instead, at 90 Baht per litre. And I found a very reasonable own-label lime-soda at Tesco, 13B per big bottle, instead of 24B for Sprite. That's for the kids ... not me, might I add, unless you want a shandy when visiting, instead of a beer.

We also entertain less than we did a couple of years ago. Maintenance on the house & garden are being stretched-out. Annual holidays to Europe are replaced with slightly-shorter trips more-locally. Gifts to parents-in-law are reduced in size & frequency.

What substitutes or cost-savings have other TV-members found, or are you just eating/drinking-out less, or are you simply not affected by all this ?

business as usual in our household.

So like many other expats, I've looked to reduce my monthly outgoings, in what small ways I can. (Imagine a smilie in-a-kilt here !)

You are not an expat.

The expats have large penises and housing allowance of 150K baht, a driver and fat salaries. Half a million baht a month.

If you go down with your question - it is not for the expats. Rather for wannabies.

I really don't want to sound arrogant but I planned my retirement very carefully and conservatively. Things other than the sick stock market have gone much better than I could have hoped for. The only thing different now is that my children are probably not going to inherit as much as I had hoped. That said, no one knows what the future will bring as far as the stock market making a comeback.

Edited by Gary A

You are not an expat.

The expats have large penises and housing allowance of 150K baht, a driver and fat salaries. Half a million baht a month.

If you go down with your question - it is not for the expats. Rather for wannabies.

I'm an ex-fat. Lost 30 kgs in the last 3 months!

You are not an expat.

is that cos you are in the UK cold and hungry...........plenty of rice in isaan to fatten you up.

You are not an expat.

is that cos you are in the UK cold and hungry...........plenty of rice in isaan to fatten you up.

Cannot eat rice or sugar . . . ironically we farm rice and sugar.

You are not an expat.

apologies i think i remember now you said you had a diabetes problem,so losing that weight will be good for you.

You are not an expat.

apologies i think i remember now you said you had a diabetes problem,so losing that weight will be good for you.

No need apologies, it was funny.

Wine and fast Women, darn miss this both. :o

What are you doing now BigSnake? Beer and slow women? :D

Yep, Sorensen old and slow women they don't ask for much :D:D How about you? Cutting back on What??

I haven't cut back on anything yet, but taking a kind of "wait and see" attitude.

Times are hard, the value of my overseas-investments are down, living-costs are rising, and the Strong Baht reduces further the value of my money when I bring it into Thailand. I'm not skint ... but I am hurting. :o

For example, I no longer cook with healthy tasty olive-oil, at 400B per litre, but instead use healthy-ish sunflower-oils instead, at 90 Baht per litre. And I found a very reasonable own-label lime-soda at Tesco, 13B per big bottle, instead of 24B for Sprite. That's for the kids ... not me, might I add, unless you want a shandy when visiting, instead of a beer.

We also entertain less than we did a couple of years ago. Maintenance on the house & garden are being stretched-out. Annual holidays to Europe are replaced with slightly-shorter trips more-locally. Gifts to parents-in-law are reduced in size & frequency.

What substitutes or cost-savings have other TV-members found, or are you just eating/drinking-out less, or are you simply not affected by all this ?

to make ends meet i will save a bundle in future by going for a triple coronary bypass instead of the quadruple i had 5 weeks ago :D

Hard times on wall street has affected my lifestyle considerably.....loosing 40% of my overseas worth. Luckily I have done most of my building and have a [paid for] comfortable ban and decent vehicle.

but....minimal extra $'s for home improvments/vehicle upgrade.

Things that I've done to save $'s.........

1] changed from retirement visa to supporting spouse [80k THB/mo to 40kTHB/mo]

2] less trips to the city and shop at Makro instead of malls...buy bulk and stock up....saves on gas and exposure to impulse buying.

3] eat more at home.

4] have 'victory garden' and chickens for eggs. Saves a few THB on food and keeps me occupied and at home.

5] download movies instead of buying dvd's and gave up UBC for pirate satellite dish.

6] Buy [good quality] 2nd hand clothes, rather than [cheap quality] superstore clothes

7] less trips back to the states [no problem there]

8] smaller gift$ to the wife's family and maid

9] drink box wine instead of bottle wine.....but still an expensive indulgence that I may slow down on or give up.

A few things that don't hurt too much and saves a few THB/$. All in all, life is still good and maybe better in some ways.

A mate of mine lives on over 200,000 baht a month here in pattaya.

he drinks every night at 120 baht for a drink X 30 average X 7 days = 25,200 baht a week without st/lt

are you telling me i am envious of this guy who could be dead if he continues to drink to excess.

i know this is only 1 example of how not to live,but the point is,if you had more money would you go out more,eat at more at expensive restaraunts,have a bigger house,maid.

all bullshit

to be happy the first thing is good health then everything else is a bonus

btw

nobody knows how much i am worth unlike some of my boastful mates.

i would go for a bigger MAID :D:o

Hard times on wall street has affected my lifestyle considerably.....loosing 40% of my overseas worth. Luckily I have done most of my building and have a [paid for] comfortable ban and decent vehicle.

but....minimal extra s for home improvments/vehicle upgrade.

Things that I've done to save s.........

1] changed from retirement visa to supporting spouse [80k THB/mo to 40kTHB/mo]

2] less trips to the city and shop at Makro instead of malls...buy bulk and stock up....saves on gas and exposure to impulse buying.

3] eat more at home.

4] have 'victory garden' and chickens for eggs. Saves a few THB on food and keeps me occupied and at home.

5] download movies instead of buying dvd's and gave up UBC for pirate satellite dish.

6] Buy [good quality] 2nd hand clothes, rather than [cheap quality] superstore clothes

7] less trips back to the states [no problem there]

8] smaller gift$ to the wife's family and maid

9] drink box wine instead of bottle wine.....but still an expensive indulgence that I may slow down on or give up.

A few things that don't hurt too much and saves a few THB/$. All in all, life is still good and maybe better in some ways.

Get into the home brew wine thing. Wine is bizarrely expensive in LOS. Add to that it's a great hobby.

One thing I regret is all the convenience living I done over the years. Guess I had no option being so busy at work.

Let's face it, a modicum of austerity can be fun so long as you have emergency funds to fall back on.

You are not an expat.

The expats have large penises

some "expats" (as per your defintion) are women..for example, my wife

:D I spent most of my money on wine, women and song and wasted the rest. :D

Edited by khundon

:D I spent most of my money on wine, women and song and wasted the rest. :o

So which one of the four options would you now cut back on ? Hopefully not the singing ! :D

Depends if he gets his women from Karaoke joints.

Let's face it, a modicum of austerity can be fun so long as you have emergency funds to fall back on.

I can honestly say that the happiest times of my life have been when there was no money, sometimes hardly or not even enough for food. Sure I was much younger and I would not wish for those times again but I think I was far happier, even more than at the very peak of my earning capacity when money seemed to lose value or have meaning.

One thing though is the immense amount of satisfaction I have gotten over the last few months working on a new business idea to compete in the most austere of times which I think might be so off the wall as to be a right money spinner !