Quicktime Mov Conversion

gburns57au

Hi All.....

My digital camera (Olympus FE 130) seems to be doing my videos in Quicktime mov format, How can I convert these to mpeg so I can view them using my Windows media player...

Also how can I change my camera to allow it to operate in the mpeg format as I am sure that it used to do it before.

Thanks in advance

Download the VLC player: it plays any codec including Flash movies: hxxp://www.videolan.org/

Generally speaking though, all you need to do is to right click the clip you want to play in another media player and choose "Open With" and then select the player from the list. Initially, leave the field where it says "Always use the selected program to open this type of file", unchecked. If the clip won't play, then the file will open with whatever player was previously selected the next time you try to play it.

But I don't think WMP supports the Quicktime .MOV codec. If it doesn't, you'll get a message to that effect when you try to play it.

You can undo the application a file opens with by going to "My Computer", then "Tools", "Folder Options", "File Types". Click the file type by its extension i.e. "MOV" for Quicktime movies and then click the "Change" button and choose the program you want to open it with. I've included a screenshot to illustrate the steps to take.

post-74056-1230885708_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...
My digital camera (Olympus FE 130) seems to be doing my videos in Quicktime mov format, How can I convert these to mpeg so I can view them using my Windows media player

don't be a cheapskate with these freeware pieces of software.. totally inferior in my opinion.. (i've used them)

now i only use 'Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8' for all my video editing/converting..

nothing touches it... (imho)

Edited by Goshawk

...now i only use 'Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8' for all my video editing/converting...

I've got Sony Vegas 7, but don't use it much and never thought to use it to convert a .mov file. I'll have to compare it with my usual converter program - 'Super'.

WMP plays .mov files on my PC, but I can't remember what I did to enable it.

Did you install quicktime on your PC at some stage? WMP will probably use the quicktime codecs if they have been installed on your PC.

Ah, yes! I have Quick Time 7.0.4 installed, but the .mov files are associated with WMP.