Tell Me About Internet

Radius

Internet in Thailand:

What are the possibilities?

Many, mainly depends on what is available where you live.

Do you have a data limit (or can you choose not to)?

Data limits are not used in Thailand. With as result that people are downloading like there is no tomorrow, resulting in the basic home packages to get slow during peak hours. For decent all day round proper speeds you'll have to go to the so called "premium" or "small business" packages.

Are we talking DSL or internet by phone?

Again depends on your location. Most widely used is ADSL (which comes in over a phone line). Moble internet through GPRS/EDGE, and the faster CDMA EV-DO networks is also available, but again not everywhere in Thailand.

And last but not least: What does it cost?

From 590 Baht/month for a 2Mbps "Home" ADSL package, all the way up to 27,000 Baht/month for a 6Mbps full business package. Proper stable and fast internet is available roughly between 2000 and 3000 Baht/month

Don't forget - location, location, and location.

For ADSL all the options depend on land line provider in your area. There's no competition and thus no real choice.

It might sound like a full spectre of services but they are never offered in one place.

TOT offers ADSL in almost all amphur towns now, and the tambons are scheduled to start getting it this year. It will be a long time before the villages get it though - some still don't have landline telephones.

I have to use an expensive, not very good iPstar 'broadband' :o satellite connection for a ludicrous 1,600 baht per month. No EDGE here.

From 590 Baht/month for a 2Mbps "Home" ADSL package,

Hello, Can you please tell me who offers this package

Thank You

TOT provides a 2MB Goldcyber internet service for 1000 Baht/mo which includes 750 Baht/mo credit for free telephone calls. But on some days/times of day (varies, unpredictable) plan to take naps as international web sites download/pullup.

Believe me, all 2MB Home ADSL packages offered by internet providers in Thailand are not equal in 2MB speed and service. I dropped TOT 2MB Goldcyber (1000 Baht/mo)after approx 2 months and switched to JI-NET 2MB BizConnect (1870 Bath/mo); while I'm paying more for 2MB internet service now, at least I now have steady/fast service, especially to international https/http web sites. Add 7% Valued Added Tax charge to both mentioned services for your final price.