Xmas Dinner

H2oDunc

Well I had a very nice Xmas, all you can eat buffet dinner for 299 baht. It was very nice except the sprouts were chewy. He explained that he ran out of time and gave them to the Thai staff to cook. Say no more. Apart from the sprouts it was a feast. I did notice some bars were charging from 850 -1000 baht just for a dinner. Thats around the 17 -20 pounds a hit. JEEZ you can get a cheaper dinner back home in the UK for that. And when things are quiet you would think bar owners would reduce prices to get people in. Maybe they are using the Thai logic when things go quiet. no doubt the same bar owners will be crying about no customers etc in the new year and I don't see there being a high season this winter. My advice is reduce your prices rather than charge stupid prices, but then I don't own a bar so what do I know ? :o

Well I had a very nice Xmas, all you can eat buffet dinner for 299 baht. It was very nice except the sprouts were chewy. He explained that he ran out of time and gave them to the Thai staff to cook. Say no more. Apart from the sprouts it was a feast. I did notice some bars were charging from 850 -1000 baht just for a dinner. Thats around the 17 -20 pounds a hit. JEEZ you can get a cheaper dinner back home in the UK for that. And when things are quiet you would think bar owners would reduce prices to get people in. Maybe they are using the Thai logic when things go quiet. no doubt the same bar owners will be crying about no customers etc in the new year and I don't see there being a high season this winter. My advice is reduce your prices rather than charge stupid prices, but then I don't own a bar so what do I know ? :o

299 baht? thats great, if thats what you like. some people like to go a little up market and pay more. not everyone is cheap!

Edited by onnut

i know what you mean,is saw a sign outside moby dicks(usually more known for short time rooms at 400bHT)Advertising xmas lunch for 800 baht..........starters was soup de jour,followed by usual roast plus veg,followed by tea or coffee..................they were taking the piss i think!.

i know what you mean,is saw a sign outside moby dicks(usually more known for short time rooms at 400bHT)Advertising xmas lunch for 800 baht..........starters was soup de jour,followed by usual roast plus veg,followed by tea or coffee..................they were taking the piss i think!.

I just met the previous owner of moby dick, he sold it a year ago for 28 miljon baht. If its true, no wonder they have to charge high prices over there!

Samui-land of hopes and dreams! :D .

Sounds lovely. Washed down with a bottle of Chang outside 7/11 i'd imagine.

Well I had a very nice Xmas, all you can eat buffet dinner for 299 baht. It was very nice except the sprouts were chewy. He explained that he ran out of time and gave them to the Thai staff to cook. Say no more. Apart from the sprouts it was a feast. I did notice some bars were charging from 850 -1000 baht just for a dinner. Thats around the 17 -20 pounds a hit. JEEZ you can get a cheaper dinner back home in the UK for that. And when things are quiet you would think bar owners would reduce prices to get people in. Maybe they are using the Thai logic when things go quiet. no doubt the same bar owners will be crying about no customers etc in the new year and I don't see there being a high season this winter. My advice is reduce your prices rather than charge stupid prices, but then I don't own a bar so what do I know ? :D

299 baht? thats great, if thats what you like. some people like to go a little up market and pay more. not everyone is cheap!

I don't do cheap at all my friend. I do nice food. If you think Turkey, a very nice baked ham, roast and mashed pots, veg, macaroni cheese, coleslaw and a few Thai dishes is cheap you live in a totally different world than me. I spend my money on things I like. I paid 1.2 million for my Rocket.When I fly I go business. And you ????? I very much doubt you have the same car as your avatar, just wishful thinking ? I might be wrong but just because I enjoy a 299 baht meal doesn't make it cheap. Over 90 people had the same meal over the day and everyone enjoyed it. I know that those charging near the 1000 had very few. I, like a lot of people will pay good money for excellent service or product. What I wont pay for is expensive crap just because I happen to be on a tourist island. Maybe you will ?? :o

Well I had a very nice Xmas, all you can eat buffet dinner for 299 baht. It was very nice except the sprouts were chewy. He explained that he ran out of time and gave them to the Thai staff to cook. Say no more. Apart from the sprouts it was a feast. I did notice some bars were charging from 850 -1000 baht just for a dinner. Thats around the 17 -20 pounds a hit. JEEZ you can get a cheaper dinner back home in the UK for that. And when things are quiet you would think bar owners would reduce prices to get people in. Maybe they are using the Thai logic when things go quiet. no doubt the same bar owners will be crying about no customers etc in the new year and I don't see there being a high season this winter. My advice is reduce your prices rather than charge stupid prices, but then I don't own a bar so what do I know ? :D

I don't do cheap at all my friend. I do nice food. If you think Turkey, a very nice baked ham, roast and mashed pots, veg, macaroni cheese, coleslaw and a few Thai dishes is cheap you live in a totally different world than me. I spend my money on things I like. I paid 1.2 million for my Rocket.When I fly I go business. And you ????? I very much doubt you have the same car as your avatar, just wishful thinking ? I might be wrong but just because I enjoy a 299 baht meal doesn't make it cheap. Over 90 people had the same meal over the day and everyone enjoyed it. I know that those charging near the 1000 had very few. I, like a lot of people will pay good money for excellent service or product. What I wont pay for is expensive crap just because I happen to be on a tourist island. Maybe you will ?? :o

Well said Dunc!

back in england all you can get for 17 quid is a kebab or a macdonalds

The Smoke is getting smart.....

Had a great Crissy lunch for our staff 'do;...about 12 of us...in a local pub organised by one of the lassies from our office in North London ..Islington...for £12.50 and that included a couple of comp bottles of el Vino.

Usual choice of excellent starters......including Prawn Cocktail... :D ...takes me back.......

Main Course was piles of Turkey,Chicken,Roast pork,beef...with a veggi option....and plates of spuds (roasted and normal) sprouts,carrots peas....plus others but by that time I was ....FULL UP......real blowout........

then..

it was Xmas Pud with brandy Butter.ice cream :o ..or wotever...and finally...coffee.cheese and biscuits with a thank you glass of brandy.......HIC :D

where....?

...half way between the Nags Head and the Archway Tavern.........roll on next year... :D

I know of three different venues that were charging 1000-1200 THB and all had record Christmas Days why do you assume that it must be crap just because of their prices. I personally like being served at the table and would not want to spend my Christmas at a 299 THB buffet but that is my choice.

As someone who also flys business class I find it rather odd that you find 1000 THB expensive for a once per year dinner on Christmas Day. If you work out the price in pounds than anywhere in the world sounds expensive as the markets have decided that the British pound is pants and the British economy is in dire straits.

I don't do cheap at all my friend. I do nice food. If you think Turkey, a very nice baked ham, roast and mashed pots, veg, macaroni cheese, coleslaw and a few Thai dishes is cheap you live in a totally different world than me. I spend my money on things I like. I paid 1.2 million for my Rocket.When I fly I go business. And you ????? I very much doubt you have the same car as your avatar, just wishful thinking ? I might be wrong but just because I enjoy a 299 baht meal doesn't make it cheap. Over 90 people had the same meal over the day and everyone enjoyed it. I know that those charging near the 1000 had very few. I, like a lot of people will pay good money for excellent service or product. What I wont pay for is expensive crap just because I happen to be on a tourist island. Maybe you will ?? :D

Couldn't agree more. I had an excellent Xmas dinner for 300 baht also. It was wonderful to be in a bar/restaurant with lots of friends and more food that you could eat. :o

back in england all you can get for 17 quid is a kebab or a macdonalds

yeah well thats england for you.

Either you don't come from, or have never been to, England or you come from a real scudsy part.

Also if you are paying 17 pounds for a kebab they certainly saw you coming. :o

I agree with the OP that some bar/restaurant owners seem to have the idea that on Christmas day the concept of value for money goes out of the window. However personally I'd rather pay the 1000+ Baht than have a buffet but then I don't particularly like buffet meals (you pay the money then do your own waiting service). Christmas dinner, like any roast dinner, is never great food at a bar/restaurant as it cannot be fresh cooked. Any food pre-cooked and reheated is never going to be the same but it's the best that can be done given the circumstances.

One also wonders why you felt the need to start two threads in the last two weeks on the same topic plugging a certain venue in Bang Rak there are advertising packages available.

One also wonders why you felt the need to start two threads in the last two weeks on the same topic plugging a certain venue in Bang Rak there are advertising packages available.

I cannot see any venue mentioned in the OPs post.

His other post was in a different forum and relevant.

I cannot see any venue mentioned in the OPs post.

His other post was in a different forum and relevant.

The other post was on this forum and it mentioned the name of the venue and even the owners name. I standby my view why start two different threads in a matter of weeks one about where you are going for Xmas dinner and how good it is going to be and then start another telling us that he went there for Xmas dinner and what a great deal it was.

The other post was on this forum and it mentioned the name of the venue and even the owners name. I standby my view why start two different threads in a matter of weeks one about where you are going for Xmas dinner and how good it is going to be and then start another telling us that he went there for Xmas dinner and what a great deal it was.

OK. Found it now. Posted on 15th December. Giving Samui members some information on a Christmas Dinner event.

Now he is giving his review of the event. (Not all positive) .

I have to agree with the OP to a certain degree, the problem here is that farang bar/ resto owners still have their farang head on when it comes to Christmas, and see it as an easy way to make a profit.

I was invited to my 'friends' bar for xmas lunch, along with 30 other guys that play golf there. It was a kind of informal occassion, without a professional chef, but a few lads getting together on xmas day. We had a very nice turkey dinner, the proviso being that everyone will make a contribution to the food costs.

We were all a little taken aback when the check bins started arriving with a 800 baht bill for Christmas dinner, mine was 1,600 as my g/f had the audacity to have a slice of turkey and a few carrots.

Needless to say that the majority of us have already started playing golf in a different bar - this guy must be mental.

As for the previous posters classing the OP as a cheap charlie, we are in Thailand <deleted>, £16-£20 is not really acceptable for a meal in a bar, Christmas or not. Yes I have paid more than that in some hi-so restos here, but not in a bar, which was his point no?

I agree with Dunc. There were places just charging too much. The place offering the 299 baht deal was packed all day and as far as I could see everyone was happy. I don't do traditional Christmas dinner, prefering spicy Thai food instead, but if i was going to I know where I would be...

299 baht is still very cheap for a Christmas Dinner! well done, you have got to be the cheapest person on this forum. :o

I think you'll find me that's me. My Christmas dinner was laap pet from the soi. 25 Baht.

Cheap! I'll show ye cheap.

<deleted> dem fancy farang places.

One of the reasons Christmas dinners are normally more expensive than normal day meals in places like UK, Australia and where have you, is that Christmas day is a public holiday. Having a heap of staff working Christmas day is expensive due to the fact that they are on double time ( triple in some parts of the world ).

So the cost of this has to be added into the price of the meals. However this is not so in Thailand, it is just another work day for the majority, in my home area wait staff are on 150 Baht a day and the cook's on about 260 a day any day that they work.

So the big price hike for Christmas dinner ( in most places ) is not altogether justifyable.

Congratulations to the 299 Baht dinner member, I too fly business or first when available, but I would have certainly have liked to have dinner at the same place as you, as it was I had a ham sandwich and cancelled christmas. some people seem to think that you have to pay more for a meal for it to be any good.