Maybe Up To 6000 Dead, Tidal Waves Slams Thailand

george

eye witness accounts from the bbc.

The main requirement in this area is drinking water, medicine, and shelter. Please help.

Deane Jayamanne, Negombo, Sri Lanka

The roads in Colombo are eerily quiet today. In my office, my colleagues are narrating how they escaped death... Right now, everyone here is in a state of shock- the telephone lines are out and everyone is glued to the news.

Anisha, Colombo, Sri Lanka

I was in the meantime washed away by the tidal wave but luckily not back into the sea. I was carried into a kind of huge channel where the locals keep their boats. In a few seconds this otherwise peaceful channel were turned into a roaring inferno of boats washed ashore, plenty of fish already dead floating through this extremely dirty sewage water. I already considered myself a lost cause as I with high speed was whirled towards massive boats. Finally, I got hold of some sort of solid wooden board that was hanging down from a boat not yet washed out to sea... I called out for help and one Chinese man managed to climb down. I was still in a daze and hardly managed to utter the words thank you.

Felix Arabia, Penang, Malaysia

I was sleeping in a tent near a beach in a national park on the east of Phuket airport when I started being shaken around by the sea (around 10am. I woke up fast as the tidal waves started to wash the tent away. I could not find the zip and had to tear the tent apart to get out. I struggled a little bit to rescue the tent and its contents but had to rapidly let go of the whole thing to save myself. As I escaped, the water became extremely muddy and the tidal and the forested area made the escape very difficult. Finally managed to climb onto a tree to get some relief from the waves of mud and moving objects (cars, trees). After regaining some strength, went to rescue a young boy that had been separated from his parents and was stuck in the branches of a fallen tree (his parents were very relieved to find us later on at a local dispensary - one of their friends had not been so lucky and had lost her two kids.) As I escaped the area, I could apprehend the vastness of the devastation!

Alain Diandet, Phuket, Thailand

I have lived in Rawai Beach, Phuket for the last 10 years and have seen nothing like this. We are at the south east end of the island, and all the boats here are gone. Just around the corner on the west coast at Phuket's most beautiful beach, Ya Nui beach there is nothing left. There were two houses on the beach and a restaurant, behind the beach was at least 25 bungalows they are also completely gone. I have many friends on this beach and we have already found one dead. I am sure there will be many more.

Tony Bridgse, Phuket Thailand

I thought "I die now" but I did not die.

Bonaborak Thamasamatri, Phuket

My second cousin, her husband and two kids were in Maldives for Christmas and New Year. Just found out a short while ago that they're alive. They were lying on the beach when the tidal waves struck! Had to tie their kids to trees or they'd have been washed away in the waters. Hotels are flattened and all they have is the swimming costumes they were wearing at the time, everything else washed away. British Embassy hoping to get them on a flight to Gatwick tomorrow if possible. At least they're alive, thank God.

Graham, Scotland

I received this email message from Kuredu Hotel Resort Maldives: "We are pleased to inform you that we have survived from the earthquake and there was no damage except a little to the Jetty. And everyone in Kuredu was okay We do not have any telephone service earlier, but now telephone service is also working."

Margaret, UK

We were awake at about 8am this morning when the room started swaying. We're on the 29th floor. The curtain poles were swinging as was the umbrella in the wardrobe. I was in the bath (!) at the time and the water was moving from one end to the other. I guess it can be best described as like being in a boat on a choppy sea. It seemed to last for a good 5 minutes or so. It wasn't quick. At first I thought I'd had a few beers too many the night before - it was my wife who realised that it was an earthquake. Otherwise it's pretty normal here in Bangkok. Another beautiful day albeit with a bit of a scary start!

Derek Mansfield, Landmark Hotel, Bangkok

The most basic fear in people's mind is whether there would be any more repeats of the tidal wave.

Sudharshun, Chennai

Am I the only one who has found the tone of the coverage so far distasteful and inappropriate? Thousands of people have been killed, whole families and communities wiped out and probably tens (hundreds?) of thousands more - lucky enough to survive- will be left with absolutely nothing. Yet the emphasis of the British media so far seems to have been on the unfortunate British tourists who have had their holidays ruined.

Sean, Wokingham

Our friends Dalene and Gerhard Theron and their daughter Janine (24) are stuck on a mountain on Phuket, where they were herded from their hotel. Dalene is wearing only undies and Janine says she has her see-through nighties on. They were hysterical initially, but are now calmer and thankful to be alive. They are awaiting rescue by helicopter and hoping that the South African Embassy will assist them once they are back on firm soil.

Jeanne Rust, Pretoria South Africa

I was on the beach when I saw a big wave coming. I ran and told everyone to get off the beach now and I ran away hard but the wave got me and I slid a long way on my bottom into a tree. Then I saw the ground below and I thought "I die now" but I did not die.

Bonaborak Thamasamatri, Patong Beach Phuket

The "whole of Laguna" is not gone. I was playing tennis at the Banyan Tree when the first wave hit and we did not notice anything at all. However, when we left the Hotel there were traffic queues on the road that goes out from the Laguna area. Part of the Sheraton and Dusit hotels in Laguna have been damaged. The worst areas hit in Phuket are Kata, Patong and Kamala beach on the west coast. Many beach restaurants and shops have been swept away.

Maria Kaye, Phuket

This southern part of the country was hit by tidal waves in the morning. Water from the world-famous Marina Beach has entered the prestigious Beach Road, which is almost a half kilometre away from the seafront, washing away some fishermen on the coast. Buses are not plying and shops have put up shutters leaving the normal life completely paralysed. People are glued to TV to have a glimpse of the latest, and are curious rather anxious to know about the possibilities of aftershocks.

Rajaneesh, Madras. India

Does anybody else find it significant that this earthquake occurred at a time of full Moon, ie spring tides, which pull the rocks of the Earth just as they do the waters?

Mark Burford, Braintree, England

We are on the holiday resort of Kurumba in the Maldives, we were hit by the aftershock but from what information we have no one was killed, just a lot of property damage. The tide came in quickly we have a barrier but the wave was too big. We heard the island resort of Full Moon is in much worse shape. Some residents of neighbouring islands are being brought here to sleep. Not much information here but we do have BBC and CNN.

Evelyn, Evergreen, Colorado

I woke up to what I thought was banging on our hotel door - it blew open and we were tossed from our bed by the surge of tide into the room. It broke out the back windows and we were carried out. We scrambled on to walls and rooftops but within minutes the tide surged higher and 15 to 20 feet was not high enough. The buildings around me collapsed and I was thrown into the surge. When I came up there was a branch I grabbed on and held. Surviving the receding tides was hardest. Pinned against a tree by the water, debris and bodies started to pile up against me and it felt like I was being crushed. In the end, the whole resort was gone. There are many others like me - lost, dazed and searching for their loved ones.

Kevin Aldrich, Phang Nga, Thailand

Received a telephone call from my boyfriend who works at Soneva Gili, a resort in the Maldives at 7.30am GMT (26th), to tell me what had happened and to say that he thought everyone on the island was OK. It seemed as though there was little left of the resort and that food and water supplies had been lost, along with all belongings.

Catherine Lawrence, UK

My best friend and girlfriend went to Sri Lanka for Xmas...we haven't heard from them in 2 days . Last text on Sat!! Kyri and Rachael...I hope u are well and hope you will spend NY with us in UK...xxxx

George Eliades, London

Tsunami has caused an inconceivable damage in Sri Lanka. Extent of the damage can be visualised by the following facts - a train with 1500 passengers has washed away, all passengers missing, buses are seen floating in deep sea with no clue of the passengers on board, some villages, hotels and markets have washed away leaving no traces.

Harshana Somapriya, Moratuwa, Sri Lanka

The waves that hit us at 8:45 local time were rising and then receding every 10 mins. This happened at least for three hours. All our cottages were washed away. This is Sunil from the Fisherman's Cove - a beach resort off Chennai, India. That's why it does not look like a single tidal wave as reported. This is something different which needs to be identified.

Sunil Swarup, Mahaballipuram, India

My son Luke Tunbridge and his girlfriend Laura Blackman are on the island of Ko Lanta. We have no real information as to how radically this island is affected. Have tried all day to contact FO on number given out via media only to get a BT message that the line is busy. Only in this country would people be expected to tolerate such a lack of information.

Kevin Tunbridge, Bury St. Edmunds Suffolk

Don't forget, news from disaster hit countries is hard to get. Also, communications from many countries to the UK is difficult at any time, never mind when telephone and radio links are down - perhaps get a local radio ham to help.

Keith Haywood, Manchester

A series of tidal waves measuring up to half of a meter in height reached the coast of South Africa from 1345 GMT.

David Jarvis, Port Elizabeth

Today morning at about ten o clock, we heard that our island has been hit by tsunamis. Here in Sri Lanka we have very little knowledge about tsunamis, so we all went down to the sea and watched to our amazement that the sea had receded and everything was calm, so we were all swimming and fishing, and no one noticed that the sea level had gradually risen, until the sea became very rough and within a time space of five minutes our shores were hit by a large wave. Fortunately we were all able to escape as the wave was not very large and was slow moving, but still some houses along the coast were damaged.

Kavveen Kanagarajh, Colombo, Sri Lanka

If tsunamis hit Sri Lanka and India, they certainly have hit the southern Yangon delta of Burma

Lawrence, Belgium

Does anyone have any news from Burma? If tsunamis hit Sri Lanka and India, they certainly have hit the southern Yangon delta of Burma, and maybe even the capital. I have a few Burmese friends but my attempts to contact them by phone have all failed. Does anyone have any news on the situation in southern Burma?

Lawrence, Belgium

My uncle who lives in Kalmunai, Batticaloa in Sri Lanka had his house destroyed while he was at church a mere 15 minutes away.

Damean, Canada

The State Government of Tamil Nadu would/is already confused how to proceed with the situation, as they receive different versions from people who tend to exaggerate. In the meanwhile, the general public should be advised not to spread rumours. Everyone likes bedtime stories, but at this point in time, rightly informing the uneducated and/or shutting up would be of help.

Anand Sundaram, Chennai, India

I just want to let you guys know that those of us living in the south of Malaysia did no feel much of the earthquake and that we are all safe and sound...

Soren Lofstedt, Malacca, Malaysia

We have just heard from friends and relatives in Geraldton (north coast of Western Australia) that they have suffered tremors and some wave movement at the town beach. The water is said to have hit approximately 70 metres inland.

Louise Baxter, Perth, Western Australia

We were in a pub on the island of Bali when suddenly a huge wave hit the beach nearby. We scrambled to safety but only after most of the furniture in the pub had been swept into the sea. We are very lucky to be alive!!

Paul Miller, Dixon, USA

There's no form of communication to even let them know what is happening

Ali, Male', Maldives

Male' is protected by a special artificial barrier and yet it's flooded and destroyed. The other islands have no protection; there are thousands of these islands with thousands of people, including tourists, and there's no form of communication to even let them know what is happening, and very sadly, thus we fear there may be thousands dead, including fishermen and divers!

Ali, Male', Maldives

If the earthquake occurred early in the morning and was recorded on seismic instruments hours before the tidal waves struck, why wasn't anyone warned? Hopefully we can use this equipment to warn people instead of just telling them how big the earthquake was afterwards.

Eric Braddom, Shanghai, China

I was driving along Gurney Drive about 13:30, Sunday. I noticed the sea water has receded. Then I saw a white swell about 2km from shore. Lots of motorists stopped to take a look. In less than 2 minutes, then swell became bigger and accelerated towards the shore and flooded the road. Everyone panicked and tried to drive away. I estimated the wave, when it reached the shore (from trough to top) was about 2m high.

Cheah Tek Ming, Penang, Malaysia

I stay at a distance of 3kms from the beach, the most basic fear in people's mind is whether there would be any more repeats of the tidal wave. We are absolutely clueless...

Sudharshun, Chennai

I live in Woodlands, just opposite the causeway to Johor Bahru Malaysia. I live on the 7th floor of a high rise and didn't feel a thing. Neither did my partner at work at the National University Hospital, on the other side of the tiny island.

Anne McGown, Singapore

Why was there no warning about the "Tsunami" after the earthquake? Where the scientists on holiday?

George, Phuket, Thailand

The eeriest thing was sandals and flip flops floating in the water

Matthew Ward, Raley Beach, Thailand

Out on a boat all day so missed the resort I was staying in being completely destroyed. Then was just about to get into the water to dive when the tidal wave struck. If we'd been under water we'd have been wiped out. Incredible scenes of destruction as we tried to return to our beach: hundreds of people stranded on remote islands; long tail boats submerged and overturned; whole trees drifting in the water; helicopters and coast guards trying to get to the injured; and the eeriest thing was sandals and flip flops floating in the water.

Myanmar has a coastal area of more than 1300 mile facing the Bay of Bengal. I think Tsunami didn't spare Myanmar coast. I am worrying about those suffering from tidal wave in Myanmar. They will not get any international help if the world doesn't know about damage at that area.

Aung , Myanmar

12 to 13 hours after the Indonesian earthquake struck, a series of 3 small waves arrived at the east coast of Mauritius, 2,500 miles away, causing fairly rapid, non-threatening, 3ft fluctuations(over periods of about 5 -10 minutes)in the tide level at the fishing village of Trou D'Eau Douce.

Alan C. Brown, Trou D'Eau Douce, Mauritius

Staying in Madras, on the second floor of the Hotel Alvington. Woke up this morning noticing a very slight tremble. Hours later the tidal wave hit - building seemed to bend with the wave, water through our room, sheer devastation on the streets below and around.

Thomas Piper, Sri Lanka

Lot of rumours are afloat - warning of more tsunami's - most of the apartment blocks are deserted with people moving inland. The plight of the fisher folk is sad - some of them have been starving since morning...the relief effort is hampered due to the sheer size of the tragedy- there is more than 40 kms of coast line with over 12 fishing hamlets in Chennai alone...

Vijay, Chennai, India

Fortunately, no one has been killed, whether in Mauritius or Rodrigues Island

Minakshi, Mauritius

I am writing from Mauritius island. We had our share of tidal waves too in the eastern part of the island. The authorities went to the beaches to move people away to prevent any kind of casualties. From the reports of the local TV, it is being said that there were waves of up to 3m for some 3 hours. According to reports things have returned to normal. However, Rodrigues island was more touched since the sea water has flooded some areas of the island. Fortunately, no one has been killed, whether in Mauritius or Rodrigues Island. I would like also, to express my deepest regret and sympathy to all those who have lost their families in this tragedy!

Minakshi, Mauritius

We are on holiday here in Phuket. The beach near where we are staying - Bangtao - has suffered major damage, but mainly to the fishermen and the people who have shops on the beach. Many of our hotel staff and their families have been affected, yet remain at work providing services to their guests like us. All of us fear the final death toll, and in particular are worried that the many tourists who went out on boat trips this morning have not returned.

Charles Dickson, Phuket, Thailand

I'm emailing from an internet cafe across the road from our hotel, Browns Beach in Nygombo. Sitting on the beach terrace having lunch, and saw an enormous wave heading for us. We all jumped up and ran; all we could hear was breaking glass and screams. It was chaos; people were injured by spraying glass, some taken to hospital. The hotel is devastated on the ground floor as well as all beach bungalows. The hotel staff are amazing, having food brought in, looking after the guests. Travel agents have not even been in touch, we have not a clue what is happening about being rehoused. There are no hotels free, all booked up. At least 50 families in the hotel have lost luggage drifting out to sea. It really is bad here. People are praying in the churches, locals, all leaving town.

Jacqui Walker, Sri Lanka

The death toll in my state, Kerala, has risen to about 300. The most devastating one was at a church in Velankanni where more than 2000 people were in morning prayer session when the tides struck. About 300 deaths are estimated in Velankanni itself and about 500 in the state as a whole. The water is found continuously flowing towards north and has now started to rise in its level.

Jinesh K J, Trichur, Kerala, India

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eye witness accounts from the bbc.

The main requirement in this area is drinking water, medicine, and shelter. Please help.

Deane Jayamanne, Negombo, Sri Lanka

The roads in Colombo are eerily quiet today. In my office, my colleagues are narrating how they escaped death... Right now, everyone here is in a state of shock- the telephone lines are out and everyone is glued to the news.

Anisha, Colombo, Sri Lanka

I was in the meantime washed away by the tidal wave but luckily not back into the sea. I was carried into a kind of huge channel where the locals keep their boats. In a few seconds this otherwise peaceful channel were turned into a roaring inferno of boats washed ashore, plenty of fish already dead floating through this extremely dirty sewage water. I already considered myself a lost cause as I with high speed was whirled towards massive boats. Finally, I got hold of some sort of solid wooden board that was hanging down from a boat not yet washed out to sea... I called out for help and one Chinese man managed to climb down. I was still in a daze and hardly managed to utter the words thank you.

Felix Arabia, Penang, Malaysia

I was sleeping in a tent near a beach in a national park on the east of Phuket airport when I started being shaken around by the sea (around 10am. I woke up fast as the tidal waves started to wash the tent away. I could not find the zip and had to tear the tent apart to get out. I struggled a little bit to rescue the tent and its contents but had to rapidly let go of the whole thing to save myself. As I escaped, the water became extremely muddy and the tidal and the forested area made the escape very difficult. Finally managed to climb onto a tree to get some relief from the waves of mud and moving objects (cars, trees). After regaining some strength, went to rescue a young boy that had been separated from his parents and was stuck in the branches of a fallen tree (his parents were very relieved to find us later on at a local dispensary - one of their friends had not been so lucky and had lost her two kids.) As I escaped the area, I could apprehend the vastness of the devastation!

Alain Diandet, Phuket, Thailand

I have lived in Rawai Beach, Phuket for the last 10 years and have seen nothing like this. We are at the south east end of the island, and all the boats here are gone. Just around the corner on the west coast at Phuket's most beautiful beach, Ya Nui beach there is nothing left. There were two houses on the beach and a restaurant, behind the beach was at least 25 bungalows they are also completely gone. I have many friends on this beach and we have already found one dead. I am sure there will be many more.

Tony Bridgse, Phuket Thailand

I thought "I die now" but I did not die.

Bonaborak Thamasamatri, Phuket 

My second cousin, her husband and two kids were in Maldives for Christmas and New Year. Just found out a short while ago that they're alive. They were lying on the beach when the tidal waves struck! Had to tie their kids to trees or they'd have been washed away in the waters. Hotels are flattened and all they have is the swimming costumes they were wearing at the time, everything else washed away. British Embassy hoping to get them on a flight to Gatwick tomorrow if possible. At least they're alive, thank God.

Graham, Scotland

I received this email message from Kuredu Hotel Resort Maldives: "We are pleased to inform you that we have survived from the earthquake and there was no damage except a little to the Jetty. And everyone in Kuredu was okay We do not have any telephone service earlier, but now telephone service is also working."

Margaret, UK

We were awake at about 8am this morning when the room started swaying. We're on the 29th floor. The curtain poles were swinging as was the umbrella in the wardrobe. I was in the bath (!) at the time and the water was moving from one end to the other. I guess it can be best described as like being in a boat on a choppy sea. It seemed to last for a good 5 minutes or so. It wasn't quick. At first I thought I'd had a few beers too many the night before - it was my wife who realised that it was an earthquake. Otherwise it's pretty normal here in Bangkok. Another beautiful day albeit with a bit of a scary start!

Derek Mansfield, Landmark Hotel, Bangkok

The most basic fear in people's mind is whether there would be any more repeats of the tidal wave.

Sudharshun, Chennai 

Am I the only one who has found the tone of the coverage so far distasteful and inappropriate? Thousands of people have been killed, whole families and communities wiped out and probably tens (hundreds?) of thousands more - lucky enough to survive- will be left with absolutely nothing. Yet the emphasis of the British media so far seems to have been on the unfortunate British tourists who have had their holidays ruined.

Sean, Wokingham

Our friends Dalene and Gerhard Theron and their daughter Janine (24) are stuck on a mountain on Phuket, where they were herded from their hotel. Dalene is wearing only undies and Janine says she has her see-through nighties on. They were hysterical initially, but are now calmer and thankful to be alive. They are awaiting rescue by helicopter and hoping that the South African Embassy will assist them once they are back on firm soil.

Jeanne Rust, Pretoria South Africa

I was on the beach when I saw a big wave coming. I ran and told everyone to get off the beach now and I ran away hard but the wave got me and I slid a long way on my bottom into a tree. Then I saw the ground below and I thought "I die now" but I did not die.

Bonaborak Thamasamatri, Patong Beach Phuket

The "whole of Laguna" is not gone. I was playing tennis at the Banyan Tree when the first wave hit and we did not notice anything at all. However, when we left the Hotel there were traffic queues on the road that goes out from the Laguna area. Part of the Sheraton and Dusit hotels in Laguna have been damaged. The worst areas hit in Phuket are Kata, Patong and Kamala beach on the west coast. Many beach restaurants and shops have been swept away.

Maria Kaye, Phuket

This southern part of the country was hit by tidal waves in the morning. Water from the world-famous Marina Beach has entered the prestigious Beach Road, which is almost a half kilometre away from the seafront, washing away some fishermen on the coast. Buses are not plying and shops have put up shutters leaving the normal life completely paralysed. People are glued to TV to have a glimpse of the latest, and are curious rather anxious to know about the possibilities of aftershocks.

Rajaneesh, Madras. India

Does anybody else find it significant that this earthquake occurred at a time of full Moon, ie spring tides, which pull the rocks of the Earth just as they do the waters?

Mark Burford, Braintree, England

We are on the holiday resort of Kurumba in the Maldives, we were hit by the aftershock but from what information we have no one was killed, just a lot of property damage. The tide came in quickly we have a barrier but the wave was too big. We heard the island resort of Full Moon is in much worse shape. Some residents of neighbouring islands are being brought here to sleep. Not much information here but we do have BBC and CNN.

Evelyn, Evergreen, Colorado

I woke up to what I thought was banging on our hotel door - it blew open and we were tossed from our bed by the surge of tide into the room. It broke out the back windows and we were carried out. We scrambled on to walls and rooftops but within minutes the tide surged higher and 15 to 20 feet was not high enough. The buildings around me collapsed and I was thrown into the surge. When I came up there was a branch I grabbed on and held. Surviving the receding tides was hardest. Pinned against a tree by the water, debris and bodies started to pile up against me and it felt like I was being crushed. In the end, the whole resort was gone. There are many others like me - lost, dazed and searching for their loved ones.

Kevin Aldrich, Phang Nga, Thailand

Received a telephone call from my boyfriend who works at Soneva Gili, a resort in the Maldives at 7.30am GMT (26th), to tell me what had happened and to say that he thought everyone on the island was OK. It seemed as though there was little left of the resort and that food and water supplies had been lost, along with all belongings.

Catherine Lawrence, UK

My best friend and girlfriend went to Sri Lanka for Xmas...we haven't heard from them in 2 days . Last text on Sat!! Kyri and Rachael...I hope u are well and hope you will spend NY with us in UK...xxxx

George Eliades, London

Tsunami has caused an inconceivable damage in Sri Lanka. Extent of the damage can be visualised by the following facts - a train with 1500 passengers has washed away, all passengers missing, buses are seen floating in deep sea with no clue of the passengers on board, some villages, hotels and markets have washed away leaving no traces.

Harshana Somapriya, Moratuwa, Sri Lanka

The waves that hit us at 8:45 local time were rising and then receding every 10 mins. This happened at least for three hours. All our cottages were washed away. This is Sunil from the Fisherman's Cove - a beach resort off Chennai, India. That's why it does not look like a single tidal wave as reported. This is something different which needs to be identified.

Sunil Swarup, Mahaballipuram, India

My son Luke Tunbridge and his girlfriend Laura Blackman are on the island of Ko Lanta. We have no real information as to how radically this island is affected. Have tried all day to contact FO on number given out via media only to get a BT message that the line is busy. Only in this country would people be expected to tolerate such a lack of information.

Kevin Tunbridge, Bury St. Edmunds Suffolk

Don't forget, news from disaster hit countries is hard to get. Also, communications from many countries to the UK is difficult at any time, never mind when telephone and radio links are down - perhaps get a local radio ham to help.

Keith Haywood, Manchester

A series of tidal waves measuring up to half of a meter in height reached the coast of South Africa from 1345 GMT.

David Jarvis, Port Elizabeth

Today morning at about ten o clock, we heard that our island has been hit by tsunamis. Here in Sri Lanka we have very little knowledge about tsunamis, so we all went down to the sea and watched to our amazement that the sea had receded and everything was calm, so we were all swimming and fishing, and no one noticed that the sea level had gradually risen, until the sea became very rough and within a time space of five minutes our shores were hit by a large wave. Fortunately we were all able to escape as the wave was not very large and was slow moving, but still some houses along the coast were damaged.

Kavveen Kanagarajh, Colombo, Sri Lanka

If tsunamis hit Sri Lanka and India, they certainly have hit the southern Yangon delta of Burma

Lawrence, Belgium 

Does anyone have any news from Burma? If tsunamis hit Sri Lanka and India, they certainly have hit the southern Yangon delta of Burma, and maybe even the capital. I have a few Burmese friends but my attempts to contact them by phone have all failed. Does anyone have any news on the situation in southern Burma?

Lawrence, Belgium

My uncle who lives in Kalmunai, Batticaloa in Sri Lanka had his house destroyed while he was at church a mere 15 minutes away.

Damean, Canada

The State Government of Tamil Nadu would/is already confused how to proceed with the situation, as they receive different versions from people who tend to exaggerate. In the meanwhile, the general public should be advised not to spread rumours. Everyone likes bedtime stories, but at this point in time, rightly informing the uneducated and/or shutting up would be of help.

Anand Sundaram, Chennai, India

I just want to let you guys know that those of us living in the south of Malaysia did no feel much of the earthquake and that we are all safe and sound...

Soren Lofstedt, Malacca, Malaysia

We have just heard from friends and relatives in Geraldton (north coast of Western Australia) that they have suffered tremors and some wave movement at the town beach. The water is said to have hit approximately 70 metres inland.

Louise Baxter, Perth, Western Australia

We were in a pub on the island of Bali when suddenly a huge wave hit the beach nearby. We scrambled to safety but only after most of the furniture in the pub had been swept into the sea. We are very lucky to be alive!!

Paul Miller, Dixon, USA

There's no form of communication to even let them know what is happening

Ali, Male', Maldives 

Male' is protected by a special artificial barrier and yet it's flooded and destroyed. The other islands have no protection; there are thousands of these islands with thousands of people, including tourists, and there's no form of communication to even let them know what is happening, and very sadly, thus we fear there may be thousands dead, including fishermen and divers!

Ali, Male', Maldives

If the earthquake occurred early in the morning and was recorded on seismic instruments hours before the tidal waves struck, why wasn't anyone warned? Hopefully we can use this equipment to warn people instead of just telling them how big the earthquake was afterwards.

Eric Braddom, Shanghai, China

I was driving along Gurney Drive about 13:30, Sunday. I noticed the sea water has receded. Then I saw a white swell about 2km from shore. Lots of motorists stopped to take a look. In less than 2 minutes, then swell became bigger and accelerated towards the shore and flooded the road. Everyone panicked and tried to drive away. I estimated the wave, when it reached the shore (from trough to top) was about 2m high.

Cheah Tek Ming, Penang, Malaysia

I stay at a distance of 3kms from the beach, the most basic fear in people's mind is whether there would be any more repeats of the tidal wave. We are absolutely clueless...

Sudharshun, Chennai

I live in Woodlands, just opposite the causeway to Johor Bahru Malaysia. I live on the 7th floor of a high rise and didn't feel a thing. Neither did my partner at work at the National University Hospital, on the other side of the tiny island.

Anne McGown, Singapore

Why was there no warning about the "Tsunami" after the earthquake? Where the scientists on holiday?

George, Phuket, Thailand

The eeriest thing was sandals and flip flops floating in the water

Out on a boat all day so missed the resort I was staying in being completely destroyed. Then was just about to get into the water to dive when the tidal wave struck. If we'd been under water we'd have been wiped out. Incredible scenes of destruction as we tried to return to our beach: hundreds of people stranded on remote islands; long tail boats submerged and overturned; whole trees drifting in the water; helicopters and coast guards trying to get to the injured; and the eeriest thing was sandals and flip flops floating in the water.

Myanmar has a coastal area of more than 1300 mile facing the Bay of Bengal. I think Tsunami didn't spare Myanmar coast. I am worrying about those suffering from tidal wave in Myanmar. They will not get any international help if the world doesn't know about damage at that area.

Aung , Myanmar

12 to 13 hours after the Indonesian earthquake struck, a series of 3 small waves arrived at the east coast of Mauritius, 2,500 miles away, causing fairly rapid, non-threatening, 3ft fluctuations(over periods of about 5 -10 minutes)in the tide level at the fishing village of Trou D'Eau Douce.

Alan C. Brown, Trou D'Eau Douce, Mauritius

Staying in Madras, on the second floor of the Hotel Alvington. Woke up this morning noticing a very slight tremble. Hours later the tidal wave hit - building seemed to bend with the wave, water through our room, sheer devastation on the streets below and around.

Thomas Piper, Sri Lanka

Lot of rumours are afloat - warning of more tsunami's - most of the apartment blocks are deserted with people moving inland. The plight of the fisher folk is sad - some of them have been starving since morning...the relief effort is hampered due to the sheer size of the tragedy- there is more than 40 kms of coast line with over 12 fishing hamlets in Chennai alone...

Vijay, Chennai, India

Fortunately, no one has been killed, whether in Mauritius or Rodrigues Island

Minakshi, Mauritius 

I am writing from Mauritius island. We had our share of tidal waves too in the eastern part of the island. The authorities went to the beaches to move people away to prevent any kind of casualties. From the reports of the local TV, it is being said that there were waves of up to 3m for some 3 hours. According to reports things have returned to normal. However, Rodrigues island was more touched since the sea water has flooded some areas of the island. Fortunately, no one has been killed, whether in Mauritius or Rodrigues Island. I would like also, to express my deepest regret and sympathy to all those who have lost their families in this tragedy!

Minakshi, Mauritius

We are on holiday here in Phuket. The beach near where we are staying - Bangtao - has suffered major damage, but mainly to the fishermen and the people who have shops on the beach. Many of our hotel staff and their families have been affected, yet remain at work providing services to their guests like us. All of us fear the final death toll, and in particular are worried that the many tourists who went out on boat trips this morning have not returned.

Charles Dickson, Phuket, Thailand

I'm emailing from an internet cafe across the road from our hotel, Browns Beach in Nygombo. Sitting on the beach terrace having lunch, and saw an enormous wave heading for us. We all jumped up and ran; all we could hear was breaking glass and screams. It was chaos; people were injured by spraying glass, some taken to hospital. The hotel is devastated on the ground floor as well as all beach bungalows. The hotel staff are amazing, having food brought in, looking after the guests. Travel agents have not even been in touch, we have not a clue what is happening about being rehoused. There are no hotels free, all booked up. At least 50 families in the hotel have lost luggage drifting out to sea. It really is bad here. People are praying in the churches, locals, all leaving town.

Jacqui Walker, Sri Lanka

The death toll in my state, Kerala, has risen to about 300. The most devastating one was at a church in Velankanni where more than 2000 people were in morning prayer session when the tides struck. About 300 deaths are estimated in Velankanni itself and about 500 in the state as a whole. The water is found continuously flowing towards north and has now started to rise in its level.

Jinesh K J, Trichur, Kerala, India

Thanks for that Dark. It does help bring it all into perspective, and to indicate the widespead nature of the disaster.

If the wave was anytime after 8:30 and without warning then all those I sold timeshare will have drowned in the downstairs lobby/sales deck of the Sea Pearl hotel which is right on the beach road.

http://soieasy.com/modules.php?set_albumNa...=view_photo.php

I found this photo earlier which would have been taken from the top of the stairs and shows the waterline level with what I think is the second floor.

This is where I came to work every day for a while and it's surreal to see.

Most of those I worked with were sleazy, scummy timeshare salesmen who I don't miss working with, and the sort of characters that Thailand could do without, however, I hope they didn't suffer if they were there - we always were there by 9am on a Sunday.

Any info anyone?

I have been unable to contact two of the salespeople I stayed in touch with.

British Consular Assistance in Phuket

For those that need to contact the UK consular officials in Phuket there a four numbers:

076 264 473

076 264 474

076 264 475

076 264 484

There is also consular assistance at the domestic arrivals area at Don Muang Airport

The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs have English language assistance on:

02 643 5262

02 643 5000

02 643 5002

02 643 5003

not sure if it has been posted.

Latest toll: 66 dead, 691 injured

PHUKET: Kawee Sukunthamath, Chief of the Phuket Office of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (ODPM), early this evening said that 66 people were confirmed dead by the tidal wave which ravaged Phuket’s coastline this morning. Of the dead, 20 were foreigners. Another 691 people were reported injured and 22 more missing.

Phuket International Airport resumed normal inbound and outbound flight services at about 5 pm this afternoon, after debris left strewn across the runway by the tsunami was cleared off.

Traffic onto and off the island has been redirected over Tao Thepkrasattri Bridge, as the older Sarasin Bridge will remain closed until the government is confident that Phuket is no longer in danger of being hit by a second wave.

In the meantime, many coastal residents have moved inland, fearful that another wave might hit Phuket.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is expected to arrive in Phuket at about 7:30 pm, to inspect the damage and to speak to people suffering from the wave’s devastating effects.

People concerned for the welfare of friends and relatives believed to be on or near the coast when the wave hit can call the emergency rescue center at Tel: 076-214492 or 01-6432755. For calls from outside Thailand, the numbers are Tel: 66 76-214492 or Tel: 66 1 643 2755.

Local police stations may also be able to help. They can be reached by dialling 191 and asking for the district police station for the area concerned.

If calling from outside Thailand, the number for Phuket Provincial Police Headquarters is Tel: 66 76-212046. Phuket Tourist Police may be reached at Tel: 66 76-355015, if dialing from outside the Kingdom.

Readers may find the list of telephone numbers for some of the embassies in Bangkok useful. The numbers are, to the best of the Gazette’s knowledge, up-to-date. Expect to hear a recorded message giving another number for the emergency duty officer.

Australia 66(0) 2 287 2680

Belgium 66 (0) 2 679 5454

Canada 66 (0) 2 636 0540

China 66 (0) 2 245 7032-3 or 2 245 7036

Denmark 66 (0) 2 213 2021-5 or 245 7036

Finland 66 (0) 2 256 9306-9

France 66 (06) 2 266 8250-6 or 2 266 0550-3

Germany 66 (0) 2 287 9000

Ireland 66 (0) 638 0303

Israel 66 (0) 2 260 4854-9

Italy 66 (0) 2 285 4090-3

Japan 66 (0) 2 252 6151-9

South Korea 66 (0) 2 247 7537

Netherlands 66 (0) 2 254 7701-5

New Zealand 66 (0) 2 254 2530

Norway 66 (0) 2 261 0230-5

Russia 66 (0) 2 234 9824

Singapore 66 (0) 2 286 1434

South Korea 66 (0) 2 247 7537

Spain 66 (0) 2 252 6112

Sweden 66 (0) 2 263 7211 or 2 263 7239

Switzerland 66 (0) 2 253 0156

Taiwan 66 (0) 2 670 0200-1

United Kingdom 66 (0) 2 3058333

USA 66 (0) 2 205 4000

Readers should note that Phuket has experienced many disruptions to both landline phone services and mobile phone networks throughout the day, and may experience difficulty in getting through.

p.s. I should of added http://phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=3875 Phuket, Thailand

20:25 local time (GMT +7)

Ireland Consulate:(66)26380303 INTL

Local:02-6380303

The resilience of these people

I was just out on a morning constitutional.. Getting an expresso and checking the carnage..

It struck me how so many people were still smiling that Thai smile etc.. Walking along a group of girls whistled and joked and never being one to walk past a friendly group of girls I about faced and went and said hi..

I figured they were a group of massage girls as they were all in white T shirts and cause of the group etc but they were just watching the world go by also.. So obviously I ask if they were all OK and if they had lost anything etc.. one of them had a tale, she lived in a room down by were the beach rd turns back into Prahambre (cant remember one between beach and temple)... She was in bed when the evac and water came and ran out in her underwear.. Ran to a mates house who gave her clothes and then ran off up the mountain.. So she spent yesterday in terror on the moutain and was thirsty hungry etc.. Her room is trashed and lost TV / DVD / Dirty clothes / water damaged stuff etc...

Was she moaning and crying ?? Nope.. She was smiling, laughing, joking,.. This girl had lost everything (and lets face it she probably did not have much to start with) yet she was still having sanuk in the morning sun..

My admiration for her spirit is so high !!

Was she moaning and crying ?? Nope.. She was smiling, laughing, joking,.. This girl had lost everything (and lets face it she probably did not have much to start with) yet she was still having sanuk in the morning sun..

I saw a news clip from Phuket earlier today. A couple were picking through the rubble around what looked like a shophouse. Out of the rubble the guy pulls out a picture of H.M. , dusts it off carefully and hangs it back up on the wall over top the debris.

These people are far from beaten!

cv

Donate money:

Government Savings Bank - Acc No: 00-0025-20-0149-72-3

Siam Commercial Bank - Acc No: 111-2-38300-7

Thai Military Bank - Acc No: 021-2-55113-9

Source (Thai) : http://www.pantip.com/cafe/chalermthai/top...3/A3199733.html

My thoughts are with everyone who has been effected by this tragedy.

I still can't reach a friend who works for La Flora in Khao Lak. :o

LC -- while I do not have any personal friends/family involved in this terrible tragedy, I am deeply saddened by the massive devastation and any deaths and injuries. I would love to help some way, and perhaps donating some money is the best I can do from the other side of the world. Can you add information about these accounts? Are they for general donations to help the relief efforts or what?

Thanks for any info

I saw a news clip from Phuket earlier today. A couple were picking through the rubble around what looked like a shophouse. Out of the rubble the guy pulls out a picture of H.M. , dusts it off carefully and hangs it back up on the wall over top the debris.

These people are far from beaten!

cv

I reckon this is worth it's own topic :o

Just saw this on the Yahoo Newspage.

Monday December 27, 1:26 PM

Grandson of Thai king among those missing after deadly tidal waves

A grandson of Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej is among those missing after tidal waves smashed into this southern resort island, officials said.

"We have no report of his whereabouts yet," said a Phuket rescue center official of Bhumi Jensen, 21, who disappeared at Khao Lak beach resort while jet-skiing.

Bhumi is the son of Princess Ubolratana and her estranged American husband Peter Jensen. He was holidaying with his mother at the time but media reports said she was safe.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra confirmed that Bhumi is still missing but remained optimistic he may only be injured.

He said Bhumi disappeared with two others who are also still missing but his four special branch police bodyguards survived.

Almost 400 people are confirmed dead in southern Thailand and scores are missing after the tidal waves hit on Sunday. Former finance and commerce minister Borom Tantian is among the dead, newspapers reported.

The Nation said Borom was swept away by a 10-metre-high (33 foot) wave as he was getting out of his car outside the Palm Andaman Beach Resort in Phang Nga north of Phuket.

His daughter Kantawan Kulchanyawiwat, an MP for the Democrat party, suffered a broken arm while her youngest son, aged three, was swept away.

Donate money:

Government Savings Bank - Acc No: 00-0025-20-0149-72-3

Siam Commercial Bank - Acc No: 111-2-38300-7

Thai Military Bank - Acc No: 021-2-55113-9

Source (Thai) : http://www.pantip.com/cafe/chalermthai/top...3/A3199733.html

My thoughts are with everyone who has been effected by this tragedy.

I still can't reach a friend who works for La Flora in Khao Lak. :D

Just when I was finished with all the info... Got the bloody IE error! :o

Thanks Mr Red. Those accounts are for this tragedy.

- I believe The Government Savings Bank account (Government House Branch) has been opened by the Royal Thai Government.

http://www.gsb.or.th/news/disaster.pdf

- The Siam Commercial Bank (Headquater) savings account has been opened by ITV.

- The Thai Military Bank (Sanam Pao branch) savings account has been opened by TV 5.

wgowin; H.M.'s grandson has been killed. His body was found near La Flora where he was staying. :D

http://www.manager.co.th/Home/ViewNews.asp...D=9470000102757

Edited by LovelyCutie

Grandson of Thai king among tsunami dead - PM

27 Dec 2004 08:18:54 GMT

Source: Reuters

BANGKOK, Dec 27 (Reuters) - The 21-year-old grandson of Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej was among those killed by a tsunami that struck southern Thailand, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Monday.

Bhumi Jensen was last seen jet-skiing off Krabi when the deadly wave battered the popular resort area. His body was found later by rescue workers near Khao Lak beach.

Bhumi is the son of the king's eldest daughter, Princess Ubolratana, who gave up some of her royal privileges after marrying a foreign commoner.

Although there is not official confirmation there are threads (linked a few pages back) in thai stating his body has been found.

Grandson of Thai king killed in deadly tidal waves

Updated 03:05pm (Mla time) Dec 27, 2004

Agence France-Presse

PHUKET, Thailand -- A grandson of King Bhumibol Adulyadej was among those killed when tidal waves smashed into southern Thailand, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Monday.

He said the body of Bhumi Jensen, 21, was found at the resort of Khao Lak in Phang Nga province about one hundred meters (yards) away from where he was last seen before the waves hit on Sunday.

The Australian Department of Foreign affairs has set up a 24 hr hotline that concerned relatives can call. 1800 002 214.

My wife and I will be in Krabi from next Saturday. I wonder if there is anything we can bring and or do to help. Any ideas?

Tidal waves kill up to 700 in southern Thailand

27/12/2004 - 8:19:13 AM

Rescue teams converged on beaches and remote islands in search of the missing today as the Thai prime minister said up to 700 people perished when earthquake-spawned tidal waves devastated idyllic resort areas of southern Thailand.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said between 600 and 700 persons had died when the waves and flooding struck the international resort island of Phuket and the surrounding region.

Maj. Gen. Kokiet Wongworachart, commander of Phuket’s police force, said that 35 of the victims who died on the island had been identified as foreigners. But the number of Western and Asian tourists who perished is expected to be far higher.

Media reported nationals of South Korea, Japan, Germany, South Africa, Hong Kong, Britain, Ireland, Denmark, Australia, Malaysia, Mexico, Russia, Sweden, Chile and the United States as among the dead and missing.

Earlier, Dr. Piphat Yingseri, a senior official of the Public Health Ministry in Bangkok, said 431 people died and more than 4,100 were injured in the disaster that struck eight provinces in the south.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/12/27/story182061.html#

The Department of Foreign Affairs (Dublin,Ireland) has set up the following helpline numbers for those seeking information: (01) 4082302; (01) 4082876 and (01) 4082308.

Edited by nogutsnoapplepie

Heartfelt condolences to all.

I know it's still too raw to point fingers, but I see others have started. I agree with some of these posts..when the biggest earthquake in living memory hits the planet at sea, even a grade 9 school kid knows that means Tsunami warning. So why was there none? Or was there?? A call to the Royal Thai National Police should have done it. There must be international after-hours emergency numbers with duty officers. All that was needed was a few cops on each beach with bull horns and flashing lights.."GET OFF THE BEACH..NOW!" HEAD FOR HIGHER GROUND ..NOW!" This loss of life could have been prevented. Even HM the King's grandson was a victim. There will be a reckoning..to be sure.

Hats off to ITV who have done an excellent job of non-stop reporting on this unfolding tragedy to the Thai nation, with updated telephone numbers, etc.

A kick up the backside is well deserved for producers at TV3 and TV7. Pathetic..they were playing movies last night and today there was some crap video singles show. Fire the lot. :o

If you can't find anyone, post their names here or their businesses, I may be able to help.

I'd post my mobile number but yesterday we put out water and food for people evacuating and two Thai boys ate my rice, then stole my phone.

Anything on the land side of Ratuthid Song Roi Pee is OK.

.. im trying to have contact whith my girlfriend.. in phuket

i have send sms's and call but she don't answer.. i hear a strange music (maybe voicemail??)or can't connect try later...

is the telephone center still down???

Nick, I talked with my wife in Phuket a few hrs ago. It's taking about 3-4hrs for my sms to get through. Be patient, stay near the phone, and try not to worry too much. I hope she's ok.

Canadians who are unable to contact people in the affected areas should inquire HERE with forgien affairs Canada.

Those Canadians in the affected area should also refer to the above site and let consular officials know your whereabouts in case they are getting inquiries about you. They accept collect calls to Ottawa if needed.

Canadians and Australians should also be aware that due to an agreement between the two governments, citizens of either country may use the other's consular services when needed.

Australian Embassy Bangkok

37 South Sathorn Road

Bangkok 10120

Thailand

Tel: 02 287 2680

Fax: 02 287 2029

[email protected]

Canadian Embassy Bangkok

15th Floor, Abdulrahim Place

990 Rama IV Road

Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

Thailand

Tel: 662-636-0540

Fax: 662-636-0565

E-mail: [email protected]

Ok thx for the information, 'I am still trying , Still can't connect to here phone :o

I'll will wait

The highest recorded quake in North America was the 8.6 Good Friday quake of 64 in Alaska.

Boast, ships, ended up miles away atop hills, they stayed there for years. The power of water ...

My heart goes out to the loss and tragedy of the recent,

We're just nats on this big animal called earth, and sometimes it has to scratch.

Just days prior I tried getting some accommodations on Phuket, no luck so diverted to Samui, no one ever knows .....

Anyone know of any survivor lists from Phi Phi?

My friends were spending their delayed honeymoon at the PP Princess Resort. I undertsand this is one of the resorts that has lost most of its bungalows, which is of course a worry.

Any help much appreciated.

I just went through Kata and Karon and things are getting back to normal here. People are on the beaches, which was great to see.

I have some photos, I will email them to George after Ive resized them.

For the people that were coming here for holidays, still come as Phuket needs you more than ever now. The weather is beautiful and there is plenty of places to stay.