Maybe Up To 6000 Dead, Tidal Waves Slams Thailand

george

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thought that occured to me is that if a wave of what has been reported to be between five and 10 metres was approaching, shouldn't rader have picked up what was coming? It took hours to actually arrive from the earthquake site.

At least it appears as if the Thai authorities have done a decent job in responding to the disaster.

Radar would no way have picked it up. When a Tsunami travels across the ocean, in open water you may only notice a rise of about 1 inch - the waves only form when approaching land. No pointing fingers! No-one could prepare for this.

The phone services arent 'down' as such. There is no loss of power. Its just that the networks are swamped with people trying to get in touch with each other. Try sending an SMS - it uses less bandwidth and you may connect.

I would be REAL scared right now - if I was a geologist sitting in an earth-quake center that had something to do with reporting the earthquake. How could communications about the coming tidal wave be so absent?!

Why was the 8.9 Richter scale earthquake - with possible tidal wave - not announced to the Phuket/Thailand government, and all other neighbor countries!? It is not that hard to make a phone call.

The tidal wave took five hours to travel from the earthquake center in Jakarta to Phuket. Is that not enough time to make a phone call to someone in Thailand!?

This is a gross error on some geologist part. Many people are dead, and people could have walked to higher ground with an hour warning. The tidal wave was even seen hours before in other countries. Amazing...

Edited by ThaiLover1

Mobile services are swamped.. Simply dont have the bandwidth.. try sending him an sms as they seem to get through..

As to insureance.. I would not put much hope in Thai insurances paying out a satang on anything like this..

SMS does get through. I just sent one to a friend in Nai Han, inquiring about conditions there, and she replied immediately. But when I try calling, nothing but constant busy signals.

Sorry. I wasn't clear in that I'm not trying to blame anyone. I was just curious. I guess I've seen too many movies where a huge tower of water approaches land (The Day After Tomorrow, for example).

As I said, the response appears to have been excellent.

If I might be a little controversial for a moment, it is disasters like this that made me give up on religion countless years ago. All over the planet people have just been worshiping the birth of Christ, and He responds with this. Just wondering how the local parson/vicar would explain it. Probably some crap about helping to make us stronger. Tell that to the families of those who have died.

And I do think ThaiLover1 has raised a good point. One of the biggest earthquakes in the history of the planet occurs, the geologists or whoever know it must cause a massive tidal wave, and what did they do to warn of the danger? Even a hours notice could have saved countless lives, if not property.

I would be REAL scared right now - if I was a geologist sitting in an earth-quake center.  How could communications about the coming tidal wave be so absent?!

Why was the 8.9 Richter scale earthquake - with possible tidal wave - not announced to the Phuket/Thailand government, and all other neighbor countries!?  It is not that hard to make a phone call.

The tidal wave took five hours to travel from the earthquake center in Jakarta to Phuket.  Is that not enough time to make a phone call to someone in Thailand!?

This is a gross error on some geologist part.  More than 2000 people dead so far!?  Many people could have gone to higher ground with an hour warning.

It all depends on how the "plates" move. A sideways movement might make the ground shake, but it will do bugger all to the sea. This earthquate was quite a way out to sea. The "plates" moved up/down and displaced the sea bed from 10 to 30 metres, which as you can imagine would be impossible to predict. It is also not an exact Science at all.

My land on Koh Yao was totally smashed!  :o , new house Phuket, just about gone, but we are all ok.

Glad you are all OK. Comisserations for your house on Phuket. Re: Koh Yao, Yai or Noi? How badly has Koh Yao been hit? My sympathies and thoughts to all of you directly and indirectly effected by this. I am shell-shocked.

Anyone any info at all from Khao Lak? Hoping it's not too bad, close friends there right now.

I would be REAL scared right now - if I was a geologist sitting in an earth-quake center.   How could communications about the coming tidal wave be so absent?!

Why was the 8.9 Richter scale earthquake - with possible tidal wave - not announced to the Phuket/Thailand government, and all other neighbor countries!?  It is not that hard to make a phone call.

The tidal wave took five hours to travel from the earthquake center in Jakarta to Phuket.  Is that not enough time to make a phone call to someone in Thailand!?

This is a gross error on some geologist part.  More than 2000 people dead so far!?  Many people could have gone to higher ground with an hour warning.

It all depends on how the "plates" move. A sideways movement might make the ground shake, but it will do bugger all to the sea. This earthquate was quite a way out to sea. The "plates" moved up/down and displaced the sea bed from 10 to 30 metres, which as you can imagine would be impossible to predict. It is also not an exact Science at all.

Earthquakes are impossible to predict....and where or even if waves result is even harder....it is a Natural disaster...dont go looking to blame anyone...

the people that were hit first probably had a few problems of their own ????

Edited by gburns57au

Is it the new way to clean Thailand from "non bona fide tourist"?

After this stupid comment, I would like to say sorry for those (foreigners or locals) who have loose life, familly or goods in this horible moment.

Coming from a sea coast where earthquakes are usual, I know how terrible it can be.I just wonder why it was no alert and evacuation before the wave hit Phuket? Does the first world country as Thailand don't have any capacity to notice something like that????? If someone knew the tsunami was coming , and no alert was given (for any reasons) I consider it's criminal, and certainly action should be taken agains this (or these) people(s) that have stay silent when the wave was still far.

BBC world is covering the disaster pretty good. Worst hit areas are sri lanka and india.

The disaster toll on BBCworld website

Sri Lanka: 2,000 dead

India: 1,000 dead

Thailand: 156 dead

Indonesia: 400 dead

Malaysia: 17 dead

Source: Government officials

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4125481.stm

these figures are sure to rise alot - Phi Phi alone has lost 200+ people - bungalows and resorts 'swept away'....

My heart goes out to all involved, a terrible thing to happen, not a very merry xmas after all.

Tornado, Could you give me some info please, I think not as its on high ground but is Katamanda (the luxury villa resort) in Kata Noi damaged at all?

I just called a mate in Kata and he said "hasnt been touched", anyone else here in Phuket add more info for Dave?

cheers

And considering that Phi Phi has 200 dead alone I think the Thailand figure is well out..

One of my friends is a diver who was working from Khao Lak to similans.. she has been rescued by military boats.. Dont know if airlifted or how she has been made safe..

I would be REAL scared right now - if I was a geologist sitting in an earth-quake center that had something to do with reporting the earthquake.  How could communications about the coming tidal wave be so absent?!

This is a gross error on some geologist part.  Many people are dead, and people could have walked to higher ground with an hour warning.  The tidal wave was even seen hours before in other countries.  Amazing...

How do you come to know what happened?... Who called who, and when...

Stop fantasizing and pointing fingers, please. You have no idea what you're talking about.