Maybe Up To 6000 Dead, Tidal Waves Slams Thailand

george

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATES:

All Phuket and Krabi flights cancelled

More than 100 dead in Phuket (unconfirmed)

ITV television reports that all flights are cancelled to and from Phuket. All Krabi flights are cancelled as well.

According to ITV the whole ground floor at 5-star Meridien Hotel is swept out into the ocean. Unconfirmed though.

ITV are also reporting that propably 100 persons are dead. Unconfirmed.

Edited by george

BANGKOK: -- The world's fifth-largest quake in a century hit southern Asia on Sunday, triggering a speeding tsunami that crashed into Sri Lanka and India, drowning hundreds, and swamped tourist islands in Thailand and the Maldives.

A wall of water up to 10 meters (30 feet) high set off by the 8.9 magnitude earthquake swept into Indonesia, over the coast of Sri Lanka and India and along the southern Thai tourist island of Phuket, leaving at least 1,500 feared dead, officials said.

Two-thirds of the Maldives capital, Male, was flooded and officials voiced fears for the fate of dozens of low-lying, palm-ringed coral atolls crowded with international tourists for the Christmas holiday season.

Sri Lanka, where officials feared the death toll would rise to 1,000, appealed for emergency international assistance, President Chandrika Kumaratunga's office said in a statement.

"The president has declared a state of national disaster due to the seriousness of the situation," it said.

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh alerted the navy after 390 were reported dead and offered help to Sri Lanka.

The earthquake of magnitude 8.9 as measured by the U.S. Geological Survey first struck at 7:59 a.m. (0059 GMT) off the coast of the northern Indonesian island of Sumatra and swung north with multiple tremors into the Andaman islands.

More than 100 tourists on diving holidays were missing on islands off southern Thailand, about 70 of them in the famed Emeral Cave, a tourist official said.

The government sent helicopters to Koh Phi Phi, another island popular with tourists, and other smaller islands in the Andaman Sea to assess the damage.

It also ordered the immediate evacuation of stricken areas, which included beaches on the resort island of Phuket popular with Western and Asian tourists and in peak season.

"Nothing like this has ever happened in our country before," said Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

FIFTH-BIGGEST IN A CENTURY

The earthquake was the world's biggest since 1964, said Julie Martinez, geophysicist for the U.S. Geological Survey in Golden, Colorado. "It is multiple earthquakes along the same faultline.

"We've just updated it to 8.9 magnitude. That makes it the fifth-largest earthquake since 1900," she said.

As many as 1,000 were feared dead in Sri Lanka.

"The army and the navy have sent rescue teams; we have deployed over four choppers and half the navy's eastern fleet to look for survivors," said military spokesman Brigadier Daya Ratnayake.

The worst-hit area appeared to be the tourist region of the south and east where beach hotels were inundated or swept away.

An official in eastern Trincomalee said 3,000 people had been displaced and six villages destroyed.

In the low-lying Maldives, President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom was to declare a national disaster in the archipelago whose coral atolls are a magnet for tourists from around the world, said chief government spokesman Ahmed Shaheed.

"The damage is considerable," Shaheed said. "The island is only about three feet (one meter) above sea level and a wave of water four feet high swept over us."

The international airport was unusable, he said.

"It is a very bad situation. It is terrible," Shaheed said.

"As you know it is the peak tourist season. We are trying to get reports from those areas. The whole of the Maldives is a tourist area so we are just hoping and praying."

The world's worst tsunami in recent history struck on July 17, 1998, when three waves ripped through Papua New Guinea's northwest coast, killing 2,500.

CHILDREN TORN FROM PARENTS ARMS

At least 150 people were killed on Sunday on Indonesia's Sumatra island where the wave washed people out to sea and tore children from their parents' arms, officials said.

"Maybe they were being carried by their parents but they fell over in the water and could not hold onto their children. All the dead children drowned," said Sadli, a hospital official in Lhokseumawe. Of the dead, 21 were children under 10.

Indonesia, an archipelago of 17,000 islands, lies along the Pacific Ring of Fire where plate boundaries intersect and volcanoes regularly erupt.

To the north in Thailand, officials reported one wave 5 to 10 meters (16 to 32 feet) high hit hotel-lined beaches on Phuket.

At least 55 people had been killed and more than 700 left hurt or missing, officials said.

"It happened in cycles. There would be a surge and then it would retreat and then there would be a next surge which was more violent and it went on like that," Paul Ramsbottom, a Briton on holiday in a Phuket beach bungalow, told BBC World tv.

"Then there was this one almighty surge. I mean literally this was the one which was picking up pickup trucks and motorcycles and throwing them around in front of us," he added.

One foreigner was known to be among the dead in Krabi.

Thai television showed scenes of devastation on one Phuket beach. Store fronts were damaged and cars and motorcycles were strewn around after being tossed about by the powerful waves.

A Thai man carried one elderly Western man in swimming trunks to safety on his back, ITV showed.

At least 390 people have been killed along the southern Indian coast and rescuers were searching for hundreds of fishermen missing after the wave, government officials said.

About 100 people had died in Madras alone, the city's police commissioner, K. Natarajan, told reporters. "The bodies in the hospital are mostly young women and children."

--Reuters 2004-12-26

Given that the earthquake occured earlier in Indonesia why wasn't there any warning for people in Phuket?

Because no one knows where the waves will hit...... It is rare for so many countries to be hit by waves from the same quake....might also suggest that the Indonesians had their own probs.

it is a natural disaster....dont look for scrapegoats where there arent any

carnage here, many hospital runs today for minor injuries. Many new houses completely trashed, including mine. Buses on top of house roofs in Patong. Very sad day and very unexpected. Im still trying to contact mates, but no answer or no connections.

update more later.

Places most affected are. Kamala, Patong, Karon (slightly, because of higher land), Rawai (slight). Panwa not to bad, Ao Yon okish, East coast not to bad (lost a bit of the jetty at Ao Phor. Mai Khao, slight and Chalong bay about 20 boats sunk.

From friedns in these areas, not sure if they are exact, Im just going on what Ive been told.

My land on Koh Yao was totally smashed! :o , new house Phuket, just about gone, but we are all ok.

Many worried people still in the mountains as scared another is coming.

On December 12th, I bought a condo in Patong - which I guess says a lot about my luck with investments. But, right now, I am thinking most about the smiling faces of the wonderful people that I met in Phuket, and hoping that they are safe. Material things can be replaced, friends cannot.

Could anyone tell what time exactly the wave hit Patong? I have my friend there and i cannot contact him. The mobile service seems to be down...is there any way to know more about who is injured or dead? I am scared to death...

It hit here (krabi ) about 10am so i guess a little earlier (maybe 9:45am) in Phuket

Could anyone tell what time exactly the wave hit Patong? I have my friend there and i cannot contact him. The mobile service seems to be down...is there any way to know more about who is injured or dead? I am scared to death...

about 10 ish.

Phuket airport now reopened.

Phang Nga in bad shape.

Khao Lak, seriously bad!

Edited by Tornado

One thought that occured to me is that if a wave of what has been reported to be between five and 10 metres was approaching, shouldn't rader have picked up what was coming? It took hours to actually arrive from the earthquake site.

At least it appears as if the Thai authorities have done a decent job in responding to the disaster.

Yes, about 9.45 ish. A prayer to those who are far more unfortunate than me.

I had just left Karon when my girlfriend rang, "have big problem in salon, (she is a hairdresser) have car and motorbike in salon" Raced back to find that indeed her English was correct. The whole area is carnage

I fought to get back. Many many Thais were escaping to higher ground - and killing themselves in the proces by driving like mad. I saw a couple of deaths due to bike smashes.

Some of my friends in Karon have lost everything - even their shoes which were outside.

I cannot tell you how sad i feel for them.

Will (can?) Thaksin declare it a national emergency and help them out a little bit financially i wonder? Lets hope so.

Has anyone heard anything from up north (Chiang Mai/Rai)?

I'm in Chiang Mai. Was in bed reading at the time of the quake, and didn't feel a thing. A friend that lives near Makro said it shook his bed.

I live in a condo near CMU, and our whole building shook for about five seconds.

Yes, about 9.45 ish. A prayer to those who are far more unfortunate than me.

I had just left Karon when my girlfriend rang, "have big problem in salon, (she is a hairdresser) have car and motorbike in salon" Raced back to find that indeed her English was correct. The whole area is carnage

I fought to get back. Many many Thais were escaping to higher ground - and killing themselves in the proces by driving like mad. I saw a couple of deaths due to bike smashes.

Some of my friends in Karon have lost everything - even their shoes which were outside.

I cannot tell you how sad i feel for them.

Will (can?) Thaksin declare it a national emergency and help them out a little bit financially i wonder? Lets hope so.

Radar? No - it relies on metal to reflect a signal back. Of course a satelite could pick it up - but then again this is SE Asia not the coast of Florida.

It was reported to be moving at 500 km/h - we are talking a natural disaster of the most powerful kind.

My thoughts go out to all affected by this tragedy..

One thought that occured to me is that if a wave of what has been reported to be between five and 10 metres was approaching, shouldn't rader have picked up what was coming? It took hours to actually arrive from the earthquake site.

At least it appears as if the Thai authorities have done a decent job in responding to the disaster.

It's all about displacement. The waves only get big when they get to shallow(er) water.

Almost impossible to predict. Blame nature mate, not the Thais.

Our thoughts to all that have been affected .

It wasn't 5-10 meters until it got close to shore. If you were on a boat at sea, you wouldn't even notice it.