Fire At Santika Night Club

onethailand

Santika Club at Ekamai was on fire during the New Year celebration - early reports have at least 50 injured, and up to 50 dead.

I could see the flames from my window - needless to say they were fierce.

Where is Santika located in BKK?

Sukhumvit Soi 63 AKA Ekkamai, The eastern bus terminal is by Ekkamai on Sukhumvit if that helps.

I just read this "The pub's promotion poster called the New Year Party "Goodbye Santika", apparently because the pub owner was planning to move to a new venue as the lease on the property could not be extended." ....Anyone was here at the time of the Central Chidlom blaze........I'm curios to know if Police will investigate if there is any "fire insurance" contract recently stipulated by the owner....

I just read this "The pub's promotion poster called the New Year Party "Goodbye Santika", apparently because the pub owner was planning to move to a new venue as the lease on the property could not be extended." ....Anyone was here at the time of the Central Chidlom blaze........I'm curios to know if Police will investigate if there is any "fire insurance" contract recently stipulated by the owner....

read my post above

ไหม้ผับดังย่านเอกมัย สยองคลอกดับกว่า 50 [1 ม.ค. 52 - 02:58]

bk03.00.jpgผู้สื่อข่าวรายงานความคืบหน้าเหตุเพลิงไหม้ผับซานติก้า สถานบันเทิงชื่อดังใน ซ.เอกมัย 9 ซึ่งเป็นอาคาร 3 ชั้น โดยสาเหตุเพลิงไหม้เกิดจากนักท่องเที่ยวแอบจุดพลุขณะฉลองเทศกาลปีใหม่ ทำให้พุ่งขึ้นไปติดโฟมด้านบน และเกิดไฟลุกไหม้อย่างรวดเร็ว คาดมีผู้ติดอยู่ภายในนับร้อยคน ซึ่งยังไม่ทราบชะตากรรม และแม้จะสามารถควบคุมเพลิงได้แล้ว แต่ก็ยังมีกลุ่มควันอยู่

ล่าสุด เจ้าหน้าที่อยู่ระหว่างการตรวจสอบแต่ละชั้น แต่ละจุดอยู่ โดยเฉพาะบริเวณชั้นใต้ดิน เบื้องต้นมีการลำเลียงศพผู้เสียชีวิตออกมา พบไม่ต่ำกว่า 50 ราย ส่วนใหญ่เป็นเพศชาย

from THAI RATH , the reporter says that the cause of the fire was tourists setting off fireworks at midnight that set fire to the foam (polystyrene ??) on the ceiling

Edited by taxexile

Arson wouldn't be smart at that point of the evening who want the bad reputation, but could well be since it was the last night at this old location, as far as i know they open at a new place now.

Count is 59 now, and will probably be understated for sometime to come.... damage control.

Very strange that they were able to full investigate that the fire was not arson. Usually this takes a lot of forensic work and interviews.

Source

Nationmultimedia

you will never find out... noone will ever get to know

T.I.T

....also the comment about arson being ruled out as "no one would have intended to cause so huge casualties". seems there is a desire to get rid of deliberate fire/insurance claim right from the get go.

well it's best for the police to not speculate in this way, it seems a a very immature way of policing.

It can be expected that vested interests will come out with an assessment of the scene - before an investigation even gets started. When he was PM, Thaksin often used to put his opinions on crimes - as soon as he got the breaking news, as if to say to investigators, "this is the result I want you to bolster with your findings."

Thai Airways did that with the crash at Surat Thani airport, several years ago. While smoke was billowing from the wreck, Thai Airways made a statement stating; "it was not pilot error."

Condolences to the families of all the victims.

On the subject of safety. My wife worked as the front office manager in a resort hotel a few years ago. It was a new resort and aimed at the farang market. They needed a safety certificate issued (I think it was also requirement of the european holiday companies), she said that she checked what was needed, lots of fire extinguishers, escape plans and routes etc etc. She informed the owner, the long and short of it, the owner got the appropriate government official in, gave him a wadge of cash and he got his safety certificate. Not an extinguisher in site, or emergency exit sign to be found. My wife complained to the owner, and got sacked. It will take a long time to change the attitude to safety.

But this time it is possible that Thai Hi-So people die with foreigner, so police under pressure. Much more important than Happy New Year road slaughter...

I was thinking exactly the same thing - it's not some club in Pattaya - it's in Thong Lor the stamping grounds of the wealthy..

In any event, I just wish this country would get its act together on so many things. Safety, emergency response, prevention measures, proper inspections and enforcement, corrupt police and bureaucrats, selfish meddling by hi-so's, lack of equality-fairness, education...it's just so depressing. What a start to the New Year - a year we already knew was going to bad. Sickening..

I don't believe there is only one exit out of Santika, the entrance. I believe it's true that people were not aware of the exits. I can think of three or four in there off the top of my head but I suppose they may have been blocked off or not well lit. Also, many probably didn't know about the exits and everyone panicked and ran for the only one they knew, the entrance and the perhaps the staff were not able to point everyone to other exits as it happened so fast and they probably weren't trained for that. Truly horrible, whatever the case. Devastating story to read and one that hits close to the heart for many who have been there before or have lost a friend.

This is so terrible.

Through my posts on another forum I started a trend of people from that forum moving to Thailand. There are now more than 20 of them living in BKK and Phuket. Most of them were in Bangkok for new years. It would be hard to phathom how one of them could not have been at Santika. It is a very popular club with many of them.

If one of them died last night because of me I don't think I could live with myself. This is so, so, so terrible.

Looking at all of those bodies laying in the parking lot brings tears to my eyes.

My thoughts and prayers are with everybody effected by this horrible tragedy.

Edited by DegenFarang

This is truly a sad ending for 2008. My condolences to the families and friends of all the victims.

I know of two (accessible) exits on the ground floor - The main entrance which leads to the car park and a side exit which leads to the smoking lounge.

We were at Bed Supper Club last night which was packed to breaking point - there didn't seem to be a maximum limit in place. Assuming it was the same for Santika and with possibly more people as Santika doesn't have an entry charge. The unlimited number of people make it incredibly difficult to navigate to the bar - let alone navigate en mass to an exit in an emergency. I really hope this is used as an example of the devastation that's caused by ignorance and stupidity. Its a shame that so many people lost their lives or suffered in order for others to be aware of the consequences.

R.I.P

If one of them died last night because of me I don't think I could live with myself. This is so, so, so terrible.

Even if that's so, you can't blame yourself. People make your own decisions. You can't account for accidents for which you are in no way responsible.

and from another expat web board comes this predictable gem.
Originally Posted by buriramboy The misses just translated something for me on Thai Rath and she says it's saying it was farangs lighting fireworks in the bar.

Could easily believe that. I witnessed too many times like exactly farangs were those who behave like apes when they feel themselves sabai-sabai being out of their "behave-well!" developed home countries.

Main story on BBC news. Jonathan Head reported "safety procedures are largely ignored" and clubs make "payoffs to police for protection".

RIP all those poor souls

Now that is no surprise. And the idea of setting off firecrackers indoors defies logic. I guess common sense might not be so common.

Yet anther example of no one protecting the masses i.e. not rich or powerful

Thais will never learn from the past !

On May 10 1993 the worst factory fire in history took place at the Kader Industrial toy factory on the outskirts of the Thai capital of Bangkok. Officially 188 workers, most of them young women from impoverished rural families, died in the blaze. Another 469 were injured; many seriously and permanently, after they were forced to leap from second, third and fourth floors of the buildings to avoid being burnt to death.

Well. From first person perspective:

It was fuc_king unreal. Like being in a movie or something; think I'm still in shock/denial.

We went in as 7, now 4 remain missing, including my bro. Couldn't find them in hospitals last night. Going down to the morgue now. I'm praying I don't see them there, so I can continue to search the hospitals.

Afterwards the most ridiculous thing about the whole thing I've realized is that they somehow built the place with no water sprinklers, fire extinguishers or emergency lights.