Fire At Santika Night Club

onethailand

Thanks to the poster above with the list of names.

What many foreigners may not realize is that list of 28 names has at least a dozen chinese-thai names (for those that don't know, they are often the merchant class - and also bear in mind this is a rich area of town). There are at least two names (maybe three) that are considered "hi-so" - maybe even aristocratic.

WHY THAT'S IMPORTANT:

When a 'smaller' tragey (if I can call it that) occurs - like the rape or shooting of foreign tourists here (last year an off-duty cop shot a couple of Canadians), or a fire rips through a shanty area of Bangkok, it often gets forgotten, downplayed or even willfully neglected (some say).

The fact that this occured in a "Hi-So" area with the sons and daughters of "people of means" on that list, means a real dillema for Bangkok and Thai courts (usually rich or influential people don't end up in prison here - so what happens if the owners are equally hi-so and well-connected?). There will need to be vengeance - a court sentence or death for those responsible.

it was the new years night. the party night. and suddendly the venue was on fire. 61 died. brothers and sisters, daughter and sons, friends. dead. they go for party and got horror. terrible, tragic, sad.

don't blame them for their family names that they make the "news".

have you ever been there? santika, thonglor, ekkamai, the "rich area of town"? that are normal people. don't get so crazy about that they got called "hi-so". they are city kids, students, office worker, sales promoter, property sales girls and a few lung/uncles who still feel young, a healthy mix of people want having a good time and not worst case of uptight bourgeois or only mega super rich "VIPs". little bit pretentious and shallow maybe. but mostly down to earth, common people. friendly thais.

and death as venegance? do you know enough of somebodys guilt to make such a call? death sentence for what? would that change anything, reverse things back?

Absolutely right. Names and money of these people will make no different whatsoever to the outcome.

What a horrific and preventable tragedy...

May some good possibly come frome this horrific tragedy... awareness for others, at the very least

In consideration to the families, friends and loved ones of the many deceased and injured, will respectfully refrain from further comment until more facts and details are known.

Edited by baht&sold

SAD. I was in Boston in 2003 and there was a similar fire in Rhode Island at a club where Great White played. Over 100 killed and the owners got indicted. Similar tale: overcrowded, fireworks started it, and many were trampled. I just wish that things would change as a result of these tragedies.

There's a posting on the SantikaClub site now ... "Update from news (Thai try to be English for foreigner)" listing many names and the hospitals that they are at.

What a horrific and preventable tragedy...

May some good possibly come frome this horrific tragedy... awareness for others, at the very least

In consideration to the families, friends and loved ones of the many deceased and injured, will respectfully refrain from further comment until more facts and details are known.

What many foreigners may not realize is that list of 28 names has at least a dozen chinese-thai names (for those that don't know, they are often the merchant class - and also bear in mind this is a rich area of town). There are at least two names (maybe three) that are considered "hi-so" - maybe even aristocratic.

WHY THAT'S IMPORTANT:

When a 'smaller' tragey (if I can call it that) occurs - like the rape or shooting of foreign tourists here (last year an off-duty cop shot a couple of Canadians), or a fire rips through a shanty area of Bangkok, it often gets forgotten, downplayed or even willfully neglected (some say).

The fact that this occured in a "Hi-So" area with the sons and daughters of "people of means" on that list, means a real dillema for Bangkok and Thai courts (usually rich or influential people don't end up in prison here - so what happens if the owners are equally hi-so and well-connected?). There will need to be vengeance - a court sentence or death for those responsible.

it was the new years night. the party night. and suddendly the venue was on fire. 61 died. brothers and sisters, daughter and sons, friends. dead. they go for party and got horror. terrible, tragic, sad.

have you ever been there? santika, thonglor, ekkamai, the "rich area of town"? that are normal people. don't get so crazy about that they got called "hi-so". they are city kids, students, office worker, sales promoter, property sales girls and a few lung/uncles who still feel young, a healthy mix of people want having a good time and not worst case of uptight bourgeois or only mega super rich "VIPs". little bit pretentious and shallow maybe. but mostly down to earth, common people. friendly thais.

and death as venegance? do you know enough of somebodys guilt to make such a call? death sentence for what? would that change anything, reverse things back?

Absolutely right. Names and money of these people will make no different whatsoever to the outcome.

Rubbish, Names and Money ALWAYS makes a difference.

Freddie

Such a tragedy, my wife and I were sitting in our apartment and we heard of the sirens and both said to each other I bet a club has gone up or something like that,sadly we were right.

As I am writing this I am hearing yet more sirens, three have gone past our building in the last few seconds.

When these types of things happen I feel so sad but yet remember this is life, you have to take life as it comes and try to live it the best you can while you are still here because lets face it guys there just aint a heaven :o.

Yet another two sirens past my building.

R.I.P

WHY THAT'S IMPORTANT:

Rubbish, Names and Money ALWAYS makes a difference.

Freddie

I meant THOSE names. As the poster above me said, they are normal city kids from normal families. There are no names there which feature in politics, aristocracy, policeforce, military or the pages of Tatler. Some parents will obviously and understandably try to get justice.

Police said they were investigating what sparked the fire in the two-storey building, an upmarket nightclub.

"We were all dancing and suddenly there was a big flame that came out of the front of the stage and everybody was running away," one woman told Reuters news agency.

One man told the BBC that survivors leaving the club told him the fire broke out on the stage after fireworks were lit just after midnight.

SO SAD :D

so sad. a pitty.

those who paid off fire-building- inspector-police will go free.

pray for the innocents. remember TIT

:o

I'm nearly out of ideas.

This is an open plea to anyone who might have seen these persons:

The missing people include the guy second from the left, the guy in blue in the center, and the girl on the far right. Would greatly appreciate if anyone has any information whatsoever on any of these people.

Please.

img_0005403.jpg.xs.jpg

I'm nearly out of ideas.

The missing people include the guy second from the left, the guy in blue in the center, and the girl on the far right. Would greatly appreciate if anyone has any information whatsoever on any of these people.

Please.

img_0005403.jpg.xs.jpg

Any chance of names/nationalities? Can PM if you don't want to say in public and I'll see if I can find anything out.

I'm nearly out of ideas.

Please.

img_0005403.jpg.xs.jpg

Doubt I'm of any help, hope you find them in a healthy condition.

Have you tried your embassy?

Rawhide on Soi Cowboy was on fire.

Business was closed. Fire was on the second floor. No casualties or injuries.

They sent a hel_l of a load of trucks/other vehicles down there. Not taking any chances I guess. Must have been chaos at that junction.

Friends, relatives and embassy people have been scouring the hospitals... still no luck.

Think I haven't slept in like 30 hours. Dude second from the left is Lu Wei Ye, Singaporean. In the center is Mark Laopiganonta, Thai/Canadian. Unfortunately this was the first time I've met the girl on the right, but her name (or nickname) sounded like Lyca; think she might be Thai.

I've got the list of hospitals from ThongLo police station this afternoon; called and visited pretty much all of them, including the morgue... no sign.

Bummer of the day: Realized I didn't actually stop to see a doctor for smoke inhalation. I dragged some girl out, then went back in again, but to no avail. Figured I'd drop by a 24 hour clinic on the way back... it's closed for New Year holidays. I guess I should've tried at one of the hospitals I visited today...

Fortunately, don't think I've got anything serious, just had a few bouts of nausea, but no black saliva or anything of the sort.

You saw the posting that lists names and hospitals right?

Friends, relatives and embassy people have been scouring the hospitals... still no luck.

Think I haven't slept in like 30 hours. Dude second from the left is Lu Wei Ye, Singaporean. In the center is Mark Laopiganonta, Thai/Canadian. Unfortunately this was the first time I've met the girl on the right, but her name (or nickname) sounded like Lyca; think she might be Thai.

I've got the list of hospitals from ThongLo police station this afternoon; called and visited pretty much all of them, including the morgue... no sign.

Bummer of the day: Realized I didn't actually stop to see a doctor for smoke inhalation. I dragged some girl out, then went back in again, but to no avail. Figured I'd drop by a 24 hour clinic on the way back... it's closed for New Year holidays. I guess I should've tried at one of the hospitals I visited today...

Fortunately, don't think I've got anything serious, just had a few bouts of nausea, but no black saliva or anything of the sort.