Fire At Santika Night Club

onethailand

I know the likelihood that any wrong doers will go away is slim.

I am just holding out one small shaft of hope for the new government. I am sorry to bring this down to a political discussion, but Abhisit can prove himself to be completely different from everyone else and actually do something however so small to improve this country.

I know he isn't superman, but the supposedly only clean man in Thai politics must be able to do something to change this country, or are we all just supposed to give up and believe this country is a lost cause?

Yes, it is very sad that some people see the need to turn this tragedy into a political football.

I'm sorry, but it really doesn't matter how good the intentions of the PM are.

Did anyone claim that Chuan was bad man? And what good did he do?

Quite frankly, Thaksin was in a better position to stop some of this crap, than many before and after him - and I'm sure he would have liked to do it if he could - not because he cared, but because of the credo he would have earned from "cleaning up the corrupt authorities"

Most of you simply don't understand how deep this corruption lies, and how pervasive it is in every aspect of Thai society. Money and influence are everything, and no matter how well intentioned is our new PM, he won't be able to even touch the surface of these problems before he becomes history.

A couple of years ago two Russian girls were murdered in Jomtien Beach. They arrested a Thai man who confessed.

The then acting Chief of Police came to Pattaya, and effectively said "This is bullshit, this guy didn't do it; I will get to the bottom of this and heads will roll"

He went back to Bangkok and not another word was heard from him.

This country is controlled by a police Mafia that is so entrenched, that it will take a revolution to change things.

And there will be no justice for the victims of the tragic fire at Santika.

They just don't care. :o

I know the likelihood that any wrong doers will go away is slim.

I am just holding out one small shaft of hope for the new government. I am sorry to bring this down to a political discussion, but Abhisit can prove himself to be completely different from everyone else and actually do something however so small to improve this country.

I know he isn't superman, but the supposedly only clean man in Thai politics must be able to do something to change the tired old record of the owners getting away scot free.

Briefly on the political side, this belongs to the next Bangkok Governor, not the PM, although the Governor reports to the PM.

If MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra wins you will have at least two clean politicians.

I get the feeling this may have been caused by "Poor Quality Chinese Indoor Fireworks" that have gone wrong and caused the problems.

And you would be wrong.

What we have seen in China of the very late year is a shift-change in how they want their public to precieve them, as they know that the publics access to information os both much faster and reliable than before. The non-official channels are many and cannot be contained nor controlled.

So unlike the old way of containing the news, putting a lid on it (remember that we didn't know about the second-last major earthquake disaster in mainland China until years later), they have realized that if the people cannot be held contempt with the illusion that the country is hard as rock and never has any issues, they can show that the government is hard and direct on the problems and everything is taken care off.

That is the reason public information and the development (with massive amounts of aid directed towards it) for the last major earth quake in China was released both internally and internationally. With the disco-fire the news was open, not contained, and promises to be swift and efficient to make sure it doesn't happen again. This donation is a pandering to alsothe internal masses, showing that they are on the case, that they know how it is to have it happen to 'them' aswell as a show to the world of the same.

China's leaders are using a new strategy and it's succeeding. The amount of love the chinese immigrants (I was on location in an all chinese crowdin a chinese entertainment venue) showed towards their [former] leaders during the Olympic Games opening was very showing.

It's politics, but not for the reasons you think.

Very suspicious in my view.

First of all this morning I read China offers skin grafting doctors.

Now they offer 500K US$

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/01/02...al_30092322.php

Given China is fighting worldwide problems of quality of their goods..............I get the feeling this may have been caused by "Poor Quality Chinese Indoor Fireworks" that have gone wrong and caused the problems. Anyone have any details on the type of fireworks ?

Thats my view, and it may be wrong, but it has to be said their sudden assistance does not always mean its for the good of all people, often they have reasons behind it, wonder if the Chinese Embassy was told it was some dodgy Chinese made fireworks that caused all this ????????

Not make any allegations, however just airing my thoughts.

I think that is over reaching somewhat. They have given very generously. Good for them.

In the realms of international diplomacy, I think if they had any inkling they had anything to do with this tragedy, say nothing would be better.

The Thai police can't even locate the license holders yet, so as for where any possible fireworks came from?

Having lived there, I don't think the Chinese government is that cynical or the population of China that stupid.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Interior Ministry to cover medical expenses for Santika's fire victims

Interior Minister affirmed the...

oh nevermind.... I was going to post a news update, but as I see this has been turned into a political discussion despite the mods already deleting posts and specifically telling members it was inappropriate... forget it...

Edited by sriracha john

I have removed several off topic posts regarding PAD/PPP etc.

DO NOT USE THIS TRAGEDY TO HARP ON ABOUT YOUR ISSUES & AGENDAS OF THAI POLITICS.

Show some compassion & respect for the victims.

if someone saw the fire from outside before people noticed inside then maybe it was started by a firework landing on the roof......whatever it was its a real shame.

This is quite an interesting theory. It would explain why witnesses can not agree about the cause of the fire from inside, and also how the fire could spread so quickly through the ceiling.

Sparklers tend to contain iron filings (or aluminium) so not sure where the 'sulphur' would come from. Even if they did contain sulphur it would be burnt to sulphur dioxide which is not combustible. So not sure this theory of sulphur fumes from the sparklers stands.

The PM was the first PM on site. I implore him to please take the lead and insure that the investigation is thorough and proper, not just a sham as per normal.

This isn't a political statement, this is plea.

I hope he does, he has an opportunity (how sad it is) to show that he really does want to change things.

I think that the majority of us want to see him step up to the plate, and make sure that this tragedy doesn't go the same way as so many before.

Now they offer 500K US$

Given China is fighting worldwide problems of quality of their goods..............I get the feeling this may have been caused by "Poor Quality Chinese Indoor Fireworks" that have gone wrong and caused the problems. Anyone have any details on the type of fireworks ?

Thats my view, and it may be wrong, but it has to be said their sudden assistance does not always mean its for the good of all people, often they have reasons behind it, wonder if the Chinese Embassy was told it was some dodgy Chinese made fireworks that caused all this ????????

I think that is over reaching somewhat. They have given very generously. Good for them.

In the realms of international diplomacy, I think if they had any inkling they had anything to do with this tragedy, say nothing would be better.

The Thai police can't even locate the license holders yet, so as for where any possible fireworks came from?

Having lived there, I don't think the Chinese government is that cynical or the population of China that stupid.

Considering that Chinese Fireworks in China and fires/explosion in factories that make them maim and injure thousands annually, and are reknowned for being "cheap but poor quality"...........don't you think its very suspicious.

They are presently fighting worldwide problems with the tainted milk scandal (seen lots of cheap Chinese made milky sweets in Thailand....yes), tainted toothpastes and all sorts of problems with poor quality of things manufactured in China.

The last thing they would need know is a big worldwide scandal of fireworks.............and lots of bad media yet again, so close after the tainted milk problems.

Now they offer 500K US$

Considering that Chinese Fireworks in China and fires/explosion in factories that make them maim and injure thousands annually, and are reknowned for being "cheap but poor quality"...........don't you think its very suspicious.

They are presently fighting worldwide problems with the tainted milk scandal (seen lots of cheap Chinese made milky sweets in Thailand....yes), tainted toothpastes and all sorts of problems with poor quality of things manufactured in China.

The last thing they would need know is a big worldwide scandal of fireworks.............and lots of bad media yet again, so close after the tainted milk problems.

Factories have accidents yes, but in most major cities in China anything other than a firecracker is prohibited unless in organised displays. If this accident happened in China the owners would probably get a bullet as will probably the milk company executives.

I think it will be proven that misuse of any fireworks (if that is that is the cause of the fire) will end up being the cause, not shoddy manufacture. I think I can guarantee that no will dare to push this off onto shoddy Chinese fireworks. They do come with warnings even in China believe it or not.

I am sorry but I don't share your cynicism. The story shows a generous donation at at time of tragedy and gets some headlines. You would be surprised how China is changing.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Update:

The girl has been positively identified through DNA testing as one of the previously unidentified bodies. Please, if anyone has seen or has info about any of the other missing 3 guys, please let me know.

Thanks, and much appreciated.

Sad news. Condolences to her family.

I thought you were only looking for two guys?

Update:

The girl has been positively identified through DNA testing as one of the previously unidentified bodies. Please, if anyone has seen or has info about any of the other missing 3 guys, please let me know.

4, actually. 3 guys and 1 girl.

3 guys now. :o

The PM was the first VIP on site. I implore him to please take the lead and insure that the investigation is thorough and proper, not just a sham as per normal.

This isn't a political statement, this is plea.

Well said...

Update:

4, actually. 3 guys and 1 girl.

3 guys now. :o

You mentioned the name of one Singaporean, and one Thai-Canadian. I assume the third guy is the one on the far left of the photo you posted, unnamed?

Sparklers tend to contain iron filings (or aluminium) so not sure where the 'sulphur' would come from. Even if they did contain sulphur it would be burnt to sulphur dioxide which is not combustible. So not sure this theory of sulphur fumes from the sparklers stands.

right. aluminium or metal oxide wil not burn a second time and also other fumes or gases realeased would not be combustible. it's mostly nitrogen N2 . everybody inhale N2 daily, it's nearly 80% of the air/atmosphere. and i don't think that was so risky at all to use the sparklers inside.

for the theory that first the roof, the ceiling was on fire. i don't know about the building but a guess, it was not an all around soild concrete building, maybe only the walls but not the roof construction. only corrugated iron sheet roofing or something like that. it's said there was soundproofing material on the ceiling that starts to burn. i guess some polymer plastic material. that burns pretty well. maybe on the roof was also some plastic foil, made of polyethylene, to make it water proof.

so some fireworks from outside, a skyrocket didn't go straight on to the air but landing on the roof just over the stage, ignite something there and also a polyethylene foil start to burn. if polyethylene burns it's start to melt and to drip. the liquide polyethylene drops burn as well and that could ignite something on the ground on the stage, so flames from there raising too.

the burning polyethylene drops gave a nice optical effect too, looks like fire rain. flames can be golden or blue/green.

on youtube there are a couple of videos demonstrate that effect. here somebody is burning a plastic bag, you can see drops falling to the ground and continue burning there.

from outside there was maybe a bigger flame already, but not visible inside, just the drops, maybe looking like part of the show or not realy recognise, with all the light and laser show going on in the club, until they set something on the ground in flames. in a library you would instantly know there is something wrong and it's a fire, but not in a nightclub, with a light show and a new years party where all kind of fireworks are around.

the soundproofing material could have been polystyrene or styrofoam. that burns quick with lots of black fumes/smoke.

again, there have been some people put a video on youtube. how it burns. look at this.

the soundproofing material started to burn later after the stage was set on fire by the fire drops. that could lead some witnesses to the impression that the fire starts first on the stage/ground.

the are some ways to make those plastic material less inflammable. there are also safety regulations for the material to use in public buldings. that this material have to be fire resistance or fire proof or at least burn only very slow and no toxic fumes and so on. for example like the seats in a cinema or the curtain in a theater or the blanket you get in an aeroplane. it should be very hard to ignite them and they should not keep burning.

that the fire was so quick all over the place, that is something that could have been avoided.

I really don't know how they connected the word "Santika" to anything in Spanish. The closest I can figure out is "san" which is short of "santo" and means "holy". Whoever connected "Santika" with "Beautiful of Nature" in Spanish must have been high on something.

:o

I'm pretty sure it's borrowed from Pali (the language of the Buddhist scriptures, like many Thai words), having the root "santi" which means tranquility or peace, and is sometimes used to refer to the state of mind when a person has attained nibbana or enlightenment.

EDIT - Found this link: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologi...c.3:1:3105.pali

Edited by oevna

Is it so difficult to find an owner of a nightclub and get him in for questioning?

What makes you think they haven't found him? Just like "THEY" didn't freeze Thaksin's assets for several weeks after seizing power from a majority elected Government by force of arms. Now why do you suppose that is?

I agree exactly. You stated before that maybe "they can't ignore this one". The lack of activity in getting the owner into a cop shop and the slow drip drop of leaking of the offence of allowing minors into the club makes me feel that this is another typical cover up to protect the owner and whoever he has in his pocket.

As licensee he should be the first one in, not apparently waiting to interview employees as a matter of procedure. His name is presumably on the license, so all the bucks stop with him. But as if by magic he is unavailable by cellphone so as yet isn't able to attend a police station.

As it pertains to the fire, the under age charge is meant to keep the owners in the country while authorities go over videos, eye witness reports and forensic evidence. There is no rush to haul these guys in, just keep them close while everything is sorted out. After all, let's face it, the damage is already done. In time we can expect both civil and criminal court cases to be filed over fire safety issues.

Whoever wins the Bangkok Governor election will follow this one to conclusion as it is in their backyard. Politically this will be too important for the next Bangkok Governor to do anything else.

Of course that is the polite way of doing things. But unfortunately, as of yet, they haven't even officially found him. So, until then, I think the only thing to assume is that he is in Poipet as of 6am this morning. Sorry for being cynical, but, establishing officially where he is should be a rush issue.

Perhaps. But I'll bet he's doing a secret deal with the authorities as we write Thai at Heart. If he's rich and influential - he will NEVER go to prison in Thailand. Someone else will do that for him. The sickening part is that people who deserve the least, get the most, in cases like this (the 'deal' makers). Really, really, sickening, no?

Think of it this way...the guy who is on the ropes cause his bar burns down (his fault or not - the police have him by the collar), so he sweats out an under-table deal that lets him walk away - someone else will take the fall. He avoids a 20-guy-to-a-cell prison. But it's probably around 100,000 USD to walk - given the publicity. THEN - some cop or other hi-so authority figure uses that cash to send his own little brats to some international school on that ill-gotten money. Makes me want to p+uke right here and now at the thought of it. I'd sure like to think my negative thoughts are misplaced. But you'd have to be a real optimist with a good argument to make me feel better about this..

So, again, where is he?

It will be a LOT more than 100k!

There will be many influential people needed to be paid off big time for this one.

Agreed, will will not do time but it is going to cost him a hel_l of a lot of money.

Update:

Dissolution,

I have been following this thread since yesterday morning. I didnt sleep well lastnight. I know people that go but they posted on facebook, they were not there., which was good...but there is no getting away that good news for some will be tragic news for another. I really feel for your situation. I have been thinking all day about this. I wish you all the best man. I am a stranger to you, and you to me, and most others on here also...however I m sure we can only imagine what you are going through as we all have families and friends, and in that way, we can imagine how it is for everyone if we experience the same with our friends and family...and only imagine, so I dont really knwo how it is...but the very act of imagining this and sensing what people are going through is very saddening. Dont know what to say. I just hope you can find some strength to get through the next few days, and all will be alright. Our hearts go out to you man,rest easy friend...

Chris.

This tragedy eerily reminds me of the fire in a New Jersey nightclub about 15 years ago that also killed several hundred people. The cause of that fire was fireworks that set a stage curtain on fire. So it just doesn't happen in Thailand. But in the United States, at least, laws were enacted to prevent this from ever happening again. We will see if this follows suit in Thailand.

Not likely.

When Route 66 burnt down in Pattaya awhile ago, people said the same thing. Maybe the authorities will finally do something. Nothing has changed.

(At Route 66, many people died because the emergency exits were chained and pad-locked shut, to prevent people from sneaking out.)

One only has to look around various other establishments (Lucifers in Pattaya springs to mind) to realize that there are many more similar disasters just waiting to happen. It's not just nightclubs either, but hotels, condos and other establishments, built without any thought being put into fire escapes, fire detection or fire suppression equipment.

A sad start to the New Year. :o

im in pattaya every 2 months and most nights i end up in Lucifers on walking st,after hearing of this tragic news it made think straight away about lucifers and what a potential death trap it can be! me and the girls stand at the very back wall and there is only 1 way in and 1 way out....this has been a real eye opener and my thoughts go out to the victims and their families.god bless.

Firefighters recall pub nightmare with sadness

By: APINYA WIPATAYOTIN

Published: 3/01/2009 at 12:00 AM The New Year fire tragedy at the Santika Club haunts firefighters and rescuers who braved one of the most horrific missions of their careers.

Kriengkrai Makkhao, a firefighter from a Klong Toey fire station, arrived at the burning pub on Ekamai road minutes after the blaze broke out. He worked alongside about 100 other firemen from nearby fire stations to douse the blaze.

"As we arrived at the scene, almost 80 per cent of the building was already on fire," he said.

"We doused the flames in front of us, moving inch by inch as we attempted to enter the building to search for victims," the fireman said.

Mr Kriengkrai said he saw a few discarded fire extinguishers on the ground, but the devices were apparently unable to stop the fire.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/9033...re-with-sadness

Pub blaze help centre opens

By: Bangkok Post

Published: 2/01/2009 at 09:02 AM A help centre has been set up to assist local and foreign victims of the fire at Santika pub on Ekamai road.

City clerk Pongsak Semsant said the Wattana district office, which oversees the Ekamai area, opened the centre to help victims and their relatives.

The centre will arrange hospital transfers or trips home for the injured and coordinate with relatives of those killed or injured.

Staff from City Hall's international affairs division will help foreign victims who need to contact their families back home or their embassies

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1356...lp-centre-opens

86 Santika Pub fire victims still in hospitals: deputy health minister

Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nopamornbodi said Friday that 86 people injured in the Santika Pub fire are still in hospitals.

He said 38 of them are in the intensive care units.

Of the 86, 21 are foreigners.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...health-minister

from the times , uk.

Alex Wargacki, a 29-year-old British forex trader, said from his hospital bed that he tried an emergency exit when he felt the heat in the Santika Club, only to find it was welded shut to prevent the pilfering of liquor.

Originally from Finchley in North London, Mr Wargacki said he remained unsure whether he would abandon his life in Thailand, where he was lived for the past four years, and return to the UK.

"It depends on their responses to what's happening," he said. "I want someone to pick up the tab here. At the moment, I need cash. I have to pay this bill. I don't know what it's going to cost, maybe three or four thousand pounds."

As well as burns on his face and hands, Mr Wargacki has lungs affected by smoke inhalation, and the hospital doctors have been trying to extract carbon from his lungs.

He is one of four Britons injured in the blaze, including Steven Hall and Oliver Smart. Friends of an unnamed female British school teacher, aged 34, believe she was killed in the fire, however the Foreign and Commonwealth Office have said that it did not believe that there were any Britons among the dead.

Briton Oliver Smart is also in the intensive care unit at the Bangkok hospital where Mr Wargacki is recuperating. Mr Smart has been sedated for the last two days, but Mr Wargacki said they were brought it at the some time, and Mr Smart was screaming.

"He came in on the gurney next to mine," he said. "I think one of his lungs collapsed."

Steven Hall, from South Wales, has third degree burns to his left hand and his back, and a fourth Briton, who wants to remain anonymous, has also been quite seriously injured.

Mr Wargacki said he was lucky he was getting hospital treatment.

"Some people I know went home," he said. "Some of the Thais are just lying in bed."

from the daily telegraph , uk.

Over one hundred people are still in hospital, including 32 with serious injuries. Among the injured are four Britons suffering from burns and smoke inhalation.

Sixteen bodies remain unclaimed in the police morgue, charred beyond recognition. Among the dead who have been identified there is one Singaporean man and the others are all Thai nationals.

The Bangkok Post newspaper reported that the Santika nightclub was licensed only as a food shop that was supposed to close at midnight, like thousands of others in Bangkok that sell noodles, Thai curries and other meals in the evening. It was ineligible for a license as an "entertainment venue" because it was not in a designated "entertainment zone", but had continued trading while an appeal lay dormant in the courts since 2003.

Yet, to all appearances at least, the Santika was no illegal den. It has was one of the city's most famous clubs, prominently located in one of the smartest neighbourhoods.

According to the national police chief Patcharawat Wongsuwan the fire spread quickly because of the building materials used. Witness accounts suggested the blaze rapidly engulfed the building when a firework which was part of a stage show lodged in a foam-like material that was intended to soundproof the ceiling.

There was reportedly only one fire extinguisher and only the front entrance was known to customers. Staff escaped through an unmarked back entrance while a third door had reportedly been locked to prevent the theft of alcohol. The windows were barred.

One of the British survivors, Adam Butler, 26 from Birmingham, told the Telegraph that the club was packed "probably over capacity" as partygoers marked the popular venue's final night at its former location on New Year's Eve.

There were reportedly around 1000 people at what was billed as a "goodbye Santika bad boy party".

The police investigation is continuing. "We can't charge anybody right now because things are still unclear," Deputy National Police Chief Chongrak Chutanont told a news conference.

"The only charge we could lay against the club owner is allowing teenagers aged below 18 to enter," he said.

Police also have to check with the Commerce Ministry to identify the real owner of the nightclub but that will not be possible until Jan 5, when Thai government offices and businesses reopen after the long year-end holiday.

"We need to find out in the club's registration record who holds the biggest share, then we'll lay charges against the right person," said police Superintendent Suthin Suppuang.

The dangers of Bangkok's poorly regulated nightlife were illustrated less than 24 hours later on New Year's Day when a fire broke out in a bar on Soi Cowboy, one of Bangkok's notorious strips lined with bars where prostitutes parade on stage before potential customers. No one was injured in the fire.

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand but, just as the Santika was able to operate for five years as one of the city's most prominent nightclubs without a license, girly bars and brothels are highly visible.

It is well known in Bangkok that nightclubs and bars are allowed to operate only if they pay bribes or protection money to the city's notoriously corrupt police. Army officers, politicians and organized criminals are also believed to control the shadowy scene, where profit margins are increased by a hazy legal status.

In one example of how power, money and at best semi-legal "entertainment" businesses coincide, a candidate in the recent Bangkok gubernatorial elections is famous as a brothel owner and "godfather" figure.

from today online ,

Nightclub did not have police permit BANGKOK — Thailand’s Interior Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul has said that the fire that killed 61 New Year’s Eve partygoers at a wildly popular Bangkok nightclub could further damage the country’s image. Thailand’s reputation as an attractive tourist destination had recently been battered by months of anti-government protests that climaxed in the weeklong shutdown of the capital’s two airports. Mr Chavarat said that poor enforcement of laws — including those related to safety — was a major problem inThailand. “It’s about the lax law enforcement which we need to strengthen,’’ he said, while visiting victims at Chulalongkorn Hospital. “But an accident like this can happen everywhere and in every country. But I really don’t want this to happen because it came from carelessness.’’ The fire broke out shortly after midnight and raced through the jammed two-storey Santika Club, trapping many as they tried to flee through one door. Police Maj Gen Jongrak Jutanont said police are focusing on whether the fire was sparked by a countdown fireworks display organised by the club owners or by firecrackers brought in by guests. The owner, Thai-Chinese businessman Wisuth Setsawat, was initially charged with allowing underaged customers into the club. Meanwhile, families of the victims took part in Buddhist prayers outside the charred club, beseeching the spirits of the dead to return home. The official death toll is 61 with more than 200 injured, among them 41 foreigners, said the Public Health Ministry on Friday. The injured foreigners were from Australia, Belgium, Britain, France, Japan, South Korea and the United States. Maj Gen Jongrak said the club’s application for operation was turned down by the metropolitan police five years ago because the building “wasn’t ready”. But the club opened on the basis of a court appeal. “Even now, the court still hasn’t issued a ruling,” he said. Meanwhile, the Chinese government will provide Thailand with US$500,000 ($728,000) to treat the victims. Agencies

BANGKOK — Thailand’s Interior Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul has said that the fire that killed 61 New Year’s Eve partygoers at a wildly popular Bangkok nightclub could further damage the country’s image. .Thailand’s reputation as an attractive tourist destination had recently been battered by months of anti-government protests that climaxed in the weeklong shutdown of the capital’s two airports. .Mr Chavarat said that poor enforcement of laws — including those related to safety — was a major problem inThailand. .“It’s about the lax law enforcement which we need to strengthen,’’ he said, while visiting victims at Chulalongkorn Hospital. “But an accident like this can happen everywhere and in every country. But I really don’t want this to happen because it came from carelessness.’’ .The fire broke out shortly after midnight and raced through the jammed two-storey Santika Club, trapping many as they tried to flee through one door. .Police Maj Gen Jongrak Jutanont said police are focusing on whether the fire was sparked by a countdown fireworks display organised by the club owners or by firecrackers brought in by guests. .The owner, Thai-Chinese businessman Wisuth Setsawat, was initially charged with allowing underaged customers into the club. .Meanwhile, families of the victims took part in Buddhist prayers outside the charred club, beseeching the spirits of the dead to return home. .The official death toll is 61 with more than 200 injured, among them 41 foreigners, said the Public Health Ministry on Friday. .The injured foreigners were from Australia, Belgium, Britain, France, Japan, South Korea and the United States. .Maj Gen Jongrak said the club’s application for operation was turned down by the metropolitan police five years ago because the building “wasn’t ready”. .But the club opened on the basis of a court appeal. “Even now, the court still hasn’t issued a ruling,” he said. .Meanwhile, the Chinese government will provide Thailand with US$500,000 ($728,000) to treat the victims. Agencies BANGKOK — Thailand’s Interior Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul has said that the fire that killed 61 New Year’s Eve partygoers at a wildly popular Bangkok nightclub could further damage the country’s image. .Thailand’s reputation as an attractive tourist destination had recently been battered by months of anti-government protests that climaxed in the weeklong shutdown of the capital’s two airports. .Mr Chavarat said that poor enforcement of laws — including those related to safety — was a major problem inThailand. .“It’s about the lax law enforcement which we need to strengthen,’’ he said, while visiting victims at Chulalongkorn Hospital. “But an accident like this can happen everywhere and in every country. But I really don’t want this to happen because it came from carelessness.’’ .The fire broke out shortly after midnight and raced through the jammed two-storey Santika Club, trapping many as they tried to flee through one door. .Police Maj Gen Jongrak Jutanont said police are focusing on whether the fire was sparked by a countdown fireworks display organised by the club owners or by firecrackers brought in by guests. .The owner, Thai-Chinese businessman Wisuth Setsawat, was initially charged with allowing underaged customers into the club. .Meanwhile, families of the victims took part in Buddhist prayers outside the charred club, beseeching the spirits of the dead to return home. .The official death toll is 61 with more than 200 injured, among them 41 foreigners, said the Public Health Ministry on Friday. .The injured foreigners were from Australia, Belgium, Britain, France, Japan, South Korea and the United States. .Maj Gen Jongrak said the club’s application for operation was turned down by the metropolitan police five years ago because the building “wasn’t ready”. .But the club opened on the basis of a court appeal. “Even now, the court still hasn’t issued a ruling,” he said. .Meanwhile, the Chinese government will provide Thailand with US$500,000 ($728,000) to treat the victims. Agencies BANGKOK — Thailand’s Interior Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul has said that the fire that killed 61 New Year’s Eve partygoers at a wildly popular Bangkok nightclub could further damage the country’s image. .Thailand’s reputation as an attractive tourist destination had recently been battered by months of anti-government protests that climaxed in the weeklong shutdown of the capital’s two airports. .Mr Chavarat said that poor enforcement of laws — including those related to safety — was a major problem inThailand. .“It’s about the lax law enforcement which we need to strengthen,’’ he said, while visiting victims at Chulalongkorn Hospital. “But an accident like this can happen everywhere and in every country. But I really don’t want this to happen because it came from carelessness.’’ .The fire broke out shortly after midnight and raced through the jammed two-storey Santika Club, trapping many as they tried to flee through one door. .Police Maj Gen Jongrak Jutanont said police are focusing on whether the fire was sparked by a countdown fireworks display organised by the club owners or by firecrackers brought in by guests. .The owner, Thai-Chinese businessman Wisuth Setsawat, was initially charged with allowing underaged customers into the club. .Meanwhile, families of the victims took part in Buddhist prayers outside the charred club, beseeching the spirits of the dead to return home. .The official death toll is 61 with more than 200 injured, among them 41 foreigners, said the Public Health Ministry on Friday. .The injured foreigners were from Australia, Belgium, Britain, France, Japan, South Korea and the United States. .Maj Gen Jongrak said the club’s application for operation was turned down by the metropolitan police five years ago because the building “wasn’t ready”. .But the club opened on the basis of a court appeal. “Even now, the court still hasn’t issued a ruling,” he said. .Meanwhile, the Chinese government will provide Thailand with US$500,000 ($728,000) to treat the victims. Agencies spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

Edited by taxexile