Best Steak In Town

Ulysses G.

The Duke's New Years special was "Veal Chops' from Australia that I was surprised to find tasted like the best British or American Beef and was also nice and tender. It was by far the best "steak" that I have ever had in S.E. Asia.

First I got one and then almost everyone at our table had one and everyone said that they loved it. :o

The Duke's New Years special was "Veal Chops' from Australia that I was surprised to find tasted like the best British or American Beef and was also nice and tender. It was by far the best "steak" that I have ever had in S.E. Asia.

First I got one and then almost everyone at our table had one and everyone said that they loved it. :o

Congratulations with the best hidden advertisement of the first day of this new year !

Edited by palander

Tasted like the best British or American beef eh.What did youi expect it to taste like ? I would think Australian beef can stand on its own 4 feet in comparison to the US and British versions. Do they still have cattle in Britain ?

Tasted like the best British or American beef eh.What did youi expect it to taste like ? I would think Australian beef can stand on its own 4 feet in comparison to the US and British versions. Do they still have cattle in Britain ?

Sorry, if I'm wrong about this, but I've never had any Australian beef that was better than mediocre and tough since I've lived in Thailand and every other expat at the table said the same thing. Maybe they don't export the decent stuff?

Edited by Ulysses G.

Why killing a buffalo that's pregnant?

To get the meat, the foetus was a bonus.

BTW Nienke, it wasn't my idea to kill that particular buffalo, father in law (of the time) owned the beast and it was his choice.

:o no need to excuse yourself BB. Was just wondering, why kill a pregnant buffalo and not wait till after the calve was born.

Sorry, if I'm wrong about this, but I've never had any Australian beef that was better than mediocre and tough since I've lived in Thailand and every other expat at the table said the same thing. Maybe they don't export the decent stuff?

The best Aus beef in my opinion in Thailand is from the supermarket chain Foodland.however not sure if they have any country stores all seem to be in Bangkok. Oz beef goes to Japan primarily or at least it used to. I had 40 years of eating Oz beef ,in Oz, and believe me its pretty hard to beat. I can understand the mediocre stuff being sent here as its not considered an important market with bigger prices being achieved else where. I am happy to stand being corrected if any other Australians are reading this thread but have a feeling food threads are geting atouch boring on this forum. With food beauty is in the eye of the beholder ,a bit like women !

The best Aus beef in my opinion in Thailand is from the supermarket chain Foodland.however not sure if they have any country stores all seem to be in Bangkok. Oz beef goes to Japan primarily or at least it used to. I had 40 years of eating Oz beef ,in Oz, and believe me its pretty hard to beat. I can understand the mediocre stuff being sent here as its not considered an important market with bigger prices being achieved else where. I am happy to stand being corrected if any other Australians are reading this thread but have a feeling food threads are geting atouch boring on this forum. With food beauty is in the eye of the beholder ,a bit like women !

I would agree that Oz beef is better than U.S./Euro beef. It is not better than beef from Argentina, which is the best in the world. I know this is the Chiang Mai forum, and Rayong is on the other side of the world, well, other side of the country, but Odille's Restaurant in Rayong wholesales beef from Australia, and it is better than Foodland's stock, which I like very much. ThaiVisa Odille's post

Sorry for the brief interruption. Please continue. Quite fascinating.

:o

. . . It is not better than beef from Argentina, which is the best in the world. . .

I would be interested in trying it. To my taste, Japanese wagyu, such as Kobe beef, is the most delicious beef I have ever had. Is your view that beef from Argentina is the best in the world based on having tried Japanese wagyu?

More on topic, I have had quite good Australian beef in Chiangmai.

How was the veal cooked (grilled, braised, roast or pan-fried)? If Duke's can grill veal without it going tough, kudos to them. I like veal prepared in the Viennese (breaded) and Milanese (with sauce and cheese) styles, or as braised medallions. Tenderloin, T-bone, sirloin and porterhouse benefit from grilling and broiling more than veal does, IMO. Perhaps they were baked chops?

I had an excellent Australian tenderloin at D2hotel last year, probably the best I'd tried in CM up to that point. Around 700-800 baht if memory serves, including sides and trimmings. I think both the chef and the menu have changed since then.

Best steak I've ever eaten was at a ranch outside San Angelo, Texas. The customers included ranchers and oilmen who landed small planes on the landing strip beside the restaurant. It was a little family-run place, humble and relatively inexpensive.

Ya gotta do something really wrong to <deleted> up when cooking veal. It's barely 3 month old (on the hoof)

And about Australian beef there is not much better (unless that is it is beef from NZ)

All this shyt about Japanese @#$%^ beef, the only thing that is true is that the prices are off the planet.

The problem with veal is that it's so lean it quickly dries out when grilled, roasted or broiled. Some chefs wrap the fillet in fat trimmed from other cuts to compensate, but in general veal cuts come out better when baked, breaded and fried, or braised with a sauce (or minced and made into sausage). Try grilling a veal shank sometime and let us know what you think afterwards :o

I didn't really even like steak until I visited Argentina. Its the grassy taste I suppose from being fed on the pampas. I tried to a few imported ones here that I grilled myself, not the same taste at all. Anyway, the silver lining of living in bad beef Thailand is if you eat charred beef everyday you are basically killing yourself.

"Ulysses G. Posted 2009-01-02 08:39:27

Thanks Mickmac. Is that in Chiang Mai? Could you give us a hint on the price? "

Hi U.G.

The price was around 1400 baht, as I said my original posting, its a bit pricey.

I'll give the veal chop at Duke's a go in the near future, as I really like them, if done correctly. (I used to like the ones at Smith and Wallonskys in NY).

The Meridien, is the new hotel on the opposite corner to Duke's on Chang Klan.

Cheers

Mickmac

Edited by mickmac

Yes Sparkles they still have cattle in Briton.You can see them sometimes clinning onto some poor unfortunate husband walking down Loi Kroh road !!

Yes Dairy Cows but not beef distinguishable by their big udders

Valid and incredibly witty observance :o:D:D

Best steak I've ever eaten was at a ranch outside San Angelo, Texas. The customers included ranchers and oilmen who landed small planes on the landing strip beside the restaurant. It was a little family-run place, humble and relatively inexpensive.

Perhaps they were making their profit on the landing-fees instead ? :o

First I got one and then almost everyone at our table had one and everyone said that they loved it. :D

The best beef i ever had was talking spain and came from Brasil or Argentina.... But maybe if you could to pay as much attention to your cattle as to your wife; the meat migth taste very special. (see KOBE-Meat/Matsusaka-Beef; getting some massage and drinking beer :o ). Once somebody paid about EUR 320000,- for only one animal. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsusaka

Edited by Sturbuc

Hi UG,

Was this just a one off for the new year holiday, or can you exert you "bon homie" with the owner to get this put on the menu full time? (The waiter looked at me like I threatened to steal his Somtam when I asked for veal the other night!!)

Cheers

Mickmac

Mick Mac, don't forget that the Veal was a New Years Eve special at the Duke's. It is not on the regular menu.

Sorry Mick Mac. I tried to warn you, but you must have missed this. I have talked to David and he is interested in putting this veal on the menu. I will let you know if it happens. :o

• 2 weeks later...

As a newcomer I was advised Dukes. Ate there last night. It was crowded. A small eater as I am I ordered the petite tenderloin. My girlfriend ordered grilled chicken fettucini.

We Never had a worse meal in our life! Fettucini over cooked, chicken hard and very dry. The tenderloin was reasonable but only accompanied with some fries and realy over cooked vegetables, the kind I would throw away.

And that all for about 950 baht. A once in a life experience.

Are there better steakhouses in CM?

There is probably no better foreign restaurant in Chiang Mai, at all, and certainly not in the same price range.

This is not New York or Paris and sometimes the meat is not very good or the staff screw something up. This is true in EVERY local farang restaurant. You might want to give it another try as I find it to be consistantly better than other places and so do many other people. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

There is a super deal at the Gecho bar for a steak.I usually have the rib-eye and it is decent beef.The cost is 199bt with a big salad. The owner is happy to let you choose which steak you would like to be cooked for you. The directions are if you drive north up Changklan Road until the traffic lights at the Pandip center.Turn left and go over the small bridge and it is on the left.For sure it has always been a decent steak.I have yet to be invited to Dukes for a free steak! Maybe if the pound recovers I will check it out.