Int'l Bank In C.rai?

brahmburgers

Thai banking law only allows one branch for international banks and they all are located in Bangkok so I would think that Chiang Rai is not high on the list for Internationals. Bank of Nova Scotia (Canada) bought out about 25% of Thanachart Bank last year (2007) so maybe they have something setup to work between the two there are a couple of branches in CR and one in Phayao.

Thai banking law only allows one branch for international banks and they all are located in Bangkok so I would think that Chiang Rai is not high on the list for Internationals. Bank of Nova Scotia (Canada) bought out about 25% of Thanachart Bank last year (2007) so maybe they have something setup to work between the two there are a couple of branches in CR and one in Phayao.

thanks, lukamar, for the insighful (not inciteful) info. I'll take a look at Thanachart, or, as I would unconventionally spell it: Tanachat. Where does the name lukamar come from?

You've been in CR since 1998 eh? Amazing.

Yea, perhaps it's amazing. In what way? .....that I'm still alive and haven't yet been mangled by an errant motorbike?

You certainly seem to be attracting an unusually high number of "admirers" lately. :o

You've been in CR since 1998 eh? Amazing.

Yea, perhaps it's amazing. In what way? .....that I'm still alive and haven't yet been mangled by an errant motorbike?

You certainly seem to be attracting an unusually high number of "admirers" lately. :o

I'll take a look at Thanachart, or, as I would unconventionally spell it: Tanachat.

Could this be a clue?

Added to my list of "Things I Really Didn't Want to Know".

Edited by klikster

Where does the name lukamar come from?

Remember you did ask...LOL :o It's a combination of my wife's and my nickname, sort of. LUK is the first part of her original name, the Thai passport devision changed the spelling to Lakkhana from Lukkhanna, Her Nick is actually Koy but I've always called her Luk, but her sister's nick is Luck but I've always called her Tluck her mother'

s nick is also Luk but I call her Ma. Lost yet? Last part is Mar for Marty. The a in the middle is just for and. Thus Luk-A-Mar which is also used in most of our company names as well.

you could have a wealth of avatar names with such a rich heritage:

lakamar

luckamar

Tluckamar

I like the name Tluck ....almost like 'tough luck' shortened.

= = = =

on another topic:

I mention replacing the spelling of 'Thanachart' with Tanachat, because I'm on a quixotic mission to try and get a modicum of sense - regarding Thai words transliterated to Roman alphabet. For those who have adapted to the ridiculous protocol of adding endless quantities of h's to most words (plus a slew of unnecessary r's and dt's, etc) - then it's a yawning 'mai pen rai'. But for the folks who are at the beginning stages of trying to learn Thai - a sensible transliteration protocol would be mighty helpful.

{edited for spelling}

Edited by brahmburgers

I mention replacing the spelling of 'Thanachart' with Tanachat, because I'm on a quixotic mission to try and get a modicum of sense - regarding Thai words transliterated to Roman alphabet. For those who have adapted to the ridiculous protocol of adding endless quantities of h's to most words

So how do you suggest designating aspirated vs. non-aspirated consonants?

But for the folks who are at the beginning stages of trying to learn Thai - a sensible transliteration protocol would be mighty helpful.

Most decent English-Thai dictionaries have a very workable system for aspirated consonants, glottal stops and tones.

But what amazes me about your recent posts

1 - You slip in those "gems" that have nothing to do with the topic .. but seem to be some sort of brag.

2 - In a post with the cyber ink still wet, you lament your own inability to speak Thai. Yet you now take pains to tell us the proper way to transliterate Thai. If you're really serious, why not use the Thai alphabet?

I mention replacing the spelling of 'Thanachart' with Tanachat, because I'm on a quixotic mission to try and get a modicum of sense - regarding Thai words transliterated to Roman alphabet. For those who have adapted to the ridiculous protocol of adding endless quantities of h's to most words

But for the folks who are at the beginning stages of trying to learn Thai - a sensible transliteration protocol would be mighty helpful.

Most decent English-Thai dictionaries have a very workable system for aspirated consonants, glottal stops and tones.

1 - You slip in those "gems" that have nothing to do with the topic .. but seem to be some sort of brag.

2 - In a post with the cyber ink still wet, you lament your own inability to speak Thai. Yet you now take pains to tell us the proper way to transliterate Thai. If you're really serious, why not use the Thai alphabet?

Transliteration (from Thai) is not for Thais, and is not meant to be particularly respectful of Thai spellings or traditions. Transliteration of Thai words (for Europeans and Americans) is basically a way to spell Thai words using the Roman alphabet. The current protocols in all mediums (all that I've seen) are unnecessarily confusing.

Why do 'scholars' have a propensity to complicate ordinarily simple things? Also, transliteration should be done by farang, because they're not encumbered/influenced as much by the spellings and traditions of Thai words, as are Thai people. Farang can hear a particular word spoken by a Thai person, and then spell it according to how it sounds. Simple. Sure, there are some adjustments between languages, such as the Thai word for 'open,' which could be spelled; 'beut.' or the Thai word for 'many,' could be spelled 'yeu' - with a note mentioning it's a very brief cut-off sound. I don't say I have all the answers, but I know I could make things a whole lot easier for farang starting out - trying to learn Thai - then conventional stodgy methods - which often make the process difficult and confusing.

Edited by brahmburgers

Transliteration (from Thai) is not for Thais, and is not meant to be particularly respectful of Thai spellings or traditions. Transliteration of Thai words (for Europeans and Americans) is basically a way to spell Thai words using the Roman alphabet.

First, I know what transliteration is, so I don't need a tutorial on it. Second, I'm certainly no linguist, but I always thought that transliteration was a means of using other alphabets to make it more convenient for the users of those alphabets to make Thai words sound like they are supposed to sound.

Also, transliteration should be done by farang,

If so, it would help if the farang is fluent in Thai .. which you don't seem to be.

Farang can hear a particular word spoken by a Thai person, and then spell it according to how it sounds. Simple.

Only if the listener has a near perfect ear and knows what to listen for.

I don't say I have all the answers

The point I keep trying to make is that you actually seem to have very few answers

but I know I could make things a whole lot easier for farang starting out - trying to learn Thai - then conventional stodgy methods - which often make the process difficult and confusing.

It might be a good idea to learn Thai before you start teaching others how to speak.

Firstly, I have always be against transliteration unless you don't really want to learn Thai because learning the transliteration would take as much time as learning the language properly. In that case, transcription is better. But, for tonal languages you're bound to face a problem with transcription. Because how would a novice pronounce the street "Phaholyothin"? That is an insane transcription I think.

Secondly, transliterating Thai must be done by someone that is heavily influenced by spelling and tradition, how could it work otherwise? It's two different sets of alphabets, the Roman and the Brahmic/Khmer. You're bound to learn that if you study Thai anyways. Luckily, there is an official transcription of Thai but not really a useful one for those who want to learn to speak.

Thirdly, "yeu" "เยอะ" is not many, but "much" and thus an adverb and not an adjective. There is no cut-off sound in yeu, it´s a close-mid vowel sound with a high tone, so it just sounds like it has a cut-off sound. By the way, what is a cut-off sound? It´s more like a sudden stop I think.

from goski: "...because learning the transliteration would take as much time as learning the language properly."

smart. i like his thinking. if you speak a bit of thai, learning to read thai script is not impossible. i found it quite easy as its similar to cracking a code. each letter in the thai alphabet is a sound just like the western alphabet....

and once you can read you can better understand the correct pronounciation of thai words, and it compounds the speed of improving your thai language in general.

off topic? yes!

Transliteration (from Thai) is not for Thais, and is not meant to be particularly respectful of Thai spellings or traditions. Transliteration of Thai words (for Europeans and Americans) is basically a way to spell Thai words using the Roman alphabet.

First, I know what transliteration is, so I don't need a tutorial on it. Second, I'm certainly no linguist, but I always thought that transliteration was a means of using other alphabets to make it more convenient for the users of those alphabets to make Thai words sound like they are supposed to sound.

If so, it would help if the farang is fluent in Thai .. which you don't seem to be.

Farang can hear a particular word spoken by a Thai person, and then spell it according to how it sounds. Simple.

The point I keep trying to make is that you actually seem to have very few answers

but I know I could make things a whole lot easier for farang starting out - trying to learn Thai - then conventional stodgy methods - which often make the process difficult and confusing.

It might be a good idea to learn Thai before you start teaching others how to speak.

Klikster, you're off base with your contrariness. I never claimed to be a teacher of Thai, nor that I was fluent. I mentioned things in a general sense - that, if used (for people like me) would facilitate the learning of Thai. If a different things work well for you, so be it. I've spoken with more than a few farang who have become genuinely frustrated by trying to learn Thai the conventional way, in large part because of misleading transliteration.

It's been shown that people visualize the spelling of a word when they say or hear it. If a person is adept enough in Thai to visualize words he hears in Thai script, then that's great. I'll probably never be that adept at Thai, so I often visualize words in Roman alphabet. I'm sure Klikster can shoot holes in that also.

And yes, off topic, sorry.

Klikster, you're off base with your contrariness. I never claimed to be a teacher of Thai, nor that I was fluent. I mentioned things in a general sense - that, if used (for people like me) would facilitate the learning of Thai. If a different things work well for you, so be it. I've spoken with more than a few farang who have become genuinely frustrated by trying to learn Thai the conventional way, in large part because of misleading transliteration.

It's been shown that people visualize the spelling of a word when they say or hear it. If a person is adept enough in Thai to visualize words he hears in Thai script, then that's great. I'll probably never be that adept at Thai, so I often visualize words in Roman alphabet. I'm sure Klikster can shoot holes in that also.

And yes, off topic, sorry.

Well done. Game, set and match for Brahmburgers!

Edited by ISPY

well (deliberate lower case...it's a down-sized/lower expectation 2009 kind of thing) I'm glad you chaps have worked it all out.

If I'm up in CR in the next week or so, as planned, maybe we can have a coffee, or a moment of prayer, or a grappa/beer boilermaker.

Or all of the above.

Be in touch later.