Telescopes?

HeyNow

Hello everyone,

I'd like to purchase a quality telescope for myself and my family to enjoy. I'm thinking of the Astroscan, which is one being sold by Edmund Scientifics. Unfortunately, they doesn't ship internationally. Shipping something like a telescope overseas would be fraught with risk for both seller and buyer.

It's a shot in the dark, but has anyone found a shop selling this or a comparable telescope for sale in Chiang Mai? Thanks.

post-71296-1230779329_thumb.jpg

upstairs in Airport Plaza is a photographic shop, mainly offering processing, that used to sell some decent astro scopes.. Have seen a *'Meade Instruments' Reflector in there.. Don't know if they still stock em though..

edit: a *Schmidt Newtonian, like this one..

36115202-177x150-0-0_.jpg

Edited by Goshawk

upstairs in Airport Plaza is a photographic shop, mainly offering processing, that used to sell some decent astro scopes.. Have seen a *'Meade Instruments' Reflector in there.. Don't know if they still stock em though..

You're referring to Digital Photo Studio, third floor in Airport Plaza (next door to Big Camera). Not only do they do the best processing I've found in town but the owner, Khun Saran, is a bona fide astronomer who speaks perfect English and is very approachable. I feel sure he will be able to put you on the right track. Saran is only in the shop at weekends as he's currently involved in setting up a very large telescope in the observatory on Doi Inthanon, but the staff usually know when he's expected. You can also check out some of his pictures in the shop.

By the way, Khun Anniwat, who has a display of photographs in the Northern Village area of Airport Plaza on the second floor is an astronomy lecturer at CMU and can often be found there at around 6:00 - another nice guy with excellent English.

For those interested, Saran is coming to give a presentation to the CM Photographic Group on Jan 14th - see the CMPG Website for details.

You're referring to Digital Photo Studio, third floor in Airport Plaza (next door to Big Camera). Not only do they do the best processing I've found in town but the owner, Khun Saran, is a bona fide astronomer who speaks perfect English and is very approachable. I feel sure he will be able to put you on the right track. Saran is only in the shop at weekends as he's currently involved in setting up a very large telescope in the observatory on Doi Inthanon, but the staff usually know when he's expected. You can also check out some of his pictures in the shop.

By the way, Khun Anniwat, who has a display of photographs in the Northern Village area of Airport Plaza on the second floor is an astronomy lecturer at CMU and can often be found there at around 6:00 - another nice guy with excellent English.

For those interested, Saran is coming to give a presentation to the CM Photographic Group on Jan 14th - see the CMPG Website for details.

Yep.. thats the shop.

thought the owner must have been into Astronomy himself as the instruments in his place are real quality stuff.. I'll have to chat with him next time I'm in there as i used to design & build Newtonian Reflecting telescopes myself.