Importing A Truck To Uk

DMCGARRY

I have recently been posted to the UK and was wondering if anybody has any experience with sending a vehicle to the UK.

How much does it cost to ship.

How much paper work is involved

How much does it cost for import duties in UK?

Any other issues

Cheers,

I have recently been posted to the UK and was wondering if anybody has any experience with sending a vehicle to the UK.

How much does it cost to ship.

How much paper work is involved

How much does it cost for import duties in UK?

Any other issues

Cheers,

Hi

The only firm recommendation I can offer is to have the whole thing handled by Asian Tigers (Thailand), also known as Transpo, in Bkk. They may not be the cheapest, but their English is fluent (ask for a lady named Preeya) and they are totally professional.

In UK you might get good guidance from the Min of Tran or the AA or RAC.

Hope your truck has a heater!

Hope your truck has a heater!

That would be the dealmaker. There's a thread in here about someone who successfully and cheaply shipped his Fortuner to Ireland, only to realise that a heater is a necessity. Not just cold mornings but without one, there's absolutely no way to handle condensation on the windows and that is a most-of-the-year problem. Getting a heater fitted after-market was going to be very expensive and almost impossible to find a mechanic who would do it. The resale value of the vehicle is pretty much buggered as well because of this.

I have a friend who exported his Toyota Tiger pick up to the UK. I understand that it has to be owned by you personally for a period of several years before exporting it. His Tiger didn't have a heater and needed one fitting, done by another friend who is a mecahnic, otherwise expensive to do.

Other considerations are whether the vehicel conforms to CUR - Construction & Use Regulations. You will need an MOT certificate, plus information from insurers to ensure that they don't treat it as a grey import and refuse to insure.

The earlier post about using an agent is good advice.

I have a friend who exported his Toyota Tiger pick up to the UK. I understand that it has to be owned by you personally for a period of several years before exporting it. His Tiger didn't have a heater and needed one fitting, done by another friend who is a mecahnic, otherwise expensive to do.

Other considerations are whether the vehicel conforms to CUR - Construction & Use Regulations. You will need an MOT certificate, plus information from insurers to ensure that they don't treat it as a grey import and refuse to insure.

The earlier post about using an agent is good advice.

You've just reminded me when you mentioned Construction and Use:

I am told that these days, EU regulations ban the import of some vehicles which are said to have too much power for their weight or are otherwise deemed intrinsically unsafe. One is said to be the neat little Nissan NV truck (and Queencab version) which has a 1600cc twin cam engine and NO weight! A far better power-to-weight ratio than my friend's Alfa Romeo!!

Well worth checking every possible source of info, OP!