Obtain Thai Nationality Or Not?

I know a Laotian girl who had a Thai mother (dead unfortunately) and a Laotian father, she was born and raised in Laos.

I have read some stuff on the Internet that suggests she can get Thai nationality if she wants owing to having a Thai mum, but to be honest I wouldn't know how to go about initiating the process or the costs involved.

Her Uncle (Thai) has said he can arrange it using local contacts but has quoted an exhorbitant figure and I am not entirely sure he is to be trusted.

Anyone know where to start with this and as I say what the costs involved might be?

Thanks in Advance.

Jeddah Jo.

I know a Laotian girl who had a Thai mother (dead unfortunately) and a Laotian father, she was born and raised in Laos.

I have read some stuff on the Internet that suggests she can get Thai nationality if she wants owing to having a Thai mum, but to be honest I wouldn't know how to go about initiating the process or the costs involved.

Her Uncle (Thai) has said he can arrange it using local contacts but has quoted an exhorbitant figure and I am not entirely sure he is to be trusted.

Anyone know where to start with this and as I say what the costs involved might be?

Thanks in Advance.

Jeddah Jo.

:o

My Thai girlfriend has 3 children by a previous marriage. Father not Thai. At one time they could not get Thai I.D. card or Thai passport. Father had to be Thai to get Thai nationality. Law has now been changed and they have been given Thai nationality and I.D. card based on mother being Thai. So it is possible, but I don't know how it is done. (My girlfriend did it, not me)

Are you in Thailand? Does she have a Thai I.D. card. Probably someone else can help you with details, but believe she needs to apply at local Amphur for Thai I.D. card. Don't think this is expensive process, but will require birth certificate and proof of parents nationality.

Hope someone else on this forum can give you better info than I can.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Thanks in Advance.

Jeddah Jo.

:o

My Thai girlfriend has 3 children by a previous marriage. Father not Thai. At one time they could not get Thai I.D. card or Thai passport. Father had to be Thai to get Thai nationality. Law has now been changed and they have been given Thai nationality and I.D. card based on mother being Thai. So it is possible, but I don't know how it is done. (My girlfriend did it, not me)

Are you in Thailand? Does she have a Thai I.D. card. Probably someone else can help you with details, but believe she needs to apply at local Amphur for Thai I.D. card. Don't think this is expensive process, but will require birth certificate and proof of parents nationality.

Hope someone else on this forum can give you better info than I can.

:D

The first port of call is the Thai Embassy in Laos. Proof that the mother was Thai is essential.

Is it the fact that the mother is dead the complicating factor here?, or am I missing something.

Assuming the girl is a minor, isn't it simply a matter of going to the Thai embassy in Laos with her birth certificate showing her Thai mother's nationality. (additional info, such as copy of mother's ID card, mother's birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc. obviously would be beneficial).

That should allow the embassy in Laos to issue her with a Thai passport, and from that point, she should get added as a Thai national onto the Tabien Baan (house book) of a house in Thailand. And I believe that can then be used to get a Thai ID card issued when she reaches 15.

Other than the passport application, and getting the paperwork together, I don't see much costs involved...

The dual nationality is only a problem if she's no longer a minor. Getting a Thai ID card might be problematic also if she's not on a Tabien Baan by the time she's 15.

Is it the fact that the mother is dead the complicating factor here?, or am I missing something.

Assuming the girl is a minor, isn't it simply a matter of going to the Thai embassy in Laos with her birth certificate showing her Thai mother's nationality. (additional info, such as copy of mother's ID card, mother's birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc. obviously would be beneficial).

That should allow the embassy in Laos to issue her with a Thai passport, and from that point, she should get added as a Thai national onto the Tabien Baan (house book) of a house in Thailand. And I believe that can then be used to get a Thai ID card issued when she reaches 15.

Other than the passport application, and getting the paperwork together, I don't see much costs involved...

The dual nationality is only a problem if she's no longer a minor. Getting a Thai ID card might be problematic also if she's not on a Tabien Baan by the time she's 15.

I did say that the first port of call was the Thai Embassy in Laos. Thanks for reinforcing that.

"Her Uncle (Thai) has said he can arrange it using local contacts but has quoted an exhorbitant figure and I am not entirely sure he is to be trusted."

My guess is if the uncle is from a mubarn, he will try and find an ID from a dead girl (unreported) that may look similar to the Lao/Thai girl, then offer to buy the ID from the family. Further, the head of village would have to verify (lie) that this is the same girl when required. This is what costs money. Everything in Thailand has monetary value.