Helmet Thieves

rmicheald

If you have a nice motorcycle helmet, take it with you when you leave your bike. I had one that I had bought at Theprasit Market for about 800 baht - a white INDEX model - and had it padlocked to my cycle and they cut the strap and left the D ring hanging on the lock.

My girlfriend also lost a 500 baht helmet locked by the regular motorcycle lock.

In the parking lot at Tesco... not the regular motorcycle area but on the opposite end where many people park their bikes.

I would move to a better area. I have often left the keys in the bike all night. In the past weeks Ive also left my lap top on the bike in a dry bag all night and 600 pounds worth of camera in the basket. The demon dink !!! Ive never had any trouble here with theft. Unlike back in the UK where I would park the bike, steering lock on, disc lock on, U lock through the front forks. Big, And I mean big, chain and 400 pounds worth of padlock round the back wheel then alarm. I was still never sure it was going to be there when I got back. Says a lot about Pattaya

Don't buy any expensive Helmets. I have a black 150 Baht Helmet and i schratched the color all over. This helmet look so ugly and i have it now for 2 years. Nobody will steal it.

What if you happen to hit the tarmac,with your cheap helmet?.Me thinks not to good for your skull!

Seems to be an increasing problem since fine doubled to 400bt for no helmet, but most Thais would rather be fined over and over rather than buy a helmet, and theft of helmets from bikes increase, best to have a bag handy to take helmets with you, inconvenience but cheaper in the long run!

Don't ride motor bikes is the answer. I've limited experience as only holding a Thai DL for about 6 years but if there is one suggestion I have for the novice driver in Thailand, beware of the dreaded Farang on Motorbike! So I would recommend the issue as moot in that you should not be on motor bikes. Too Dangerous! for those of you who are nay sayers check with the stats at the local med ctrs..... 24/7 there is are multiple Farang in Hospital. Have a go at a good sized ride with custom bumper ala stainless steel front hgate for a house makes will do for you!.... Thais see it as a cattle catcher!

post-71198-1230925734_thumb.jpg

Edited by FarangFatal

I know it's going radiculous - but boring a small hole on the side of the helmet and chaining it through here would prevent loss

Bad advice.

Boring a hole in the side of a helmet will weaken the outer skin, possibly even shattering on impact and providing no protection what so ever.

Why not try parking in the area reserved for motorbikes instead of taking up needed automobile spaces?

Somebody in a car probably saw it, liked it, cut it off and threw it in his car, never to be seen again. Much harder to do this on another motorbike.

Don't ride motor bikes is the answer. I've limited experience as only holding a Thai DL for about 6 years but if there is one suggestion I have for the novice driver in Thailand, beware of the dreaded Farang on Motorbike! So I would recommend the issue as moot in that you should not be on motor bikes. Too Dangerous! for those of you who are nay sayers check with the stats at the local med ctrs..... 24/7 there is are multiple Farang in Hospital. Have a go at a good sized ride with custom bumper ala stainless steel front hgate for a house makes will do for you!.... Thais see it as a cattle catcher!

for someone with the name 'farangfatal' you sure do sound like a square :o i can ride my bike with no handlebars...

So I would recommend the issue as moot in that you should not be on motor bikes. Too Dangerous!

There's always a bunch of whimps suggesting that motorcycles are too dangerous. Just being alive is dangerous because we are all going to die sooner or later.

Perhaps you should be living in a padded cell with filtered air and sterilized food.

Perhaps you should be living in a padded cell with filtered air and sterilized food.

Howard Hughes tried something like that I believe. Still died.

Problem I've seen with too many drivers (of all types of vehicles, in various countries) is that they tend to think only about themselves. It's like they think "You should watch out for me, but I don't give a hoot about you".

I used to teach Defensive Driving courses (not military or "bodyguard" stuff, just basic skills for everyday drivers to help them avoid accidents). I used to show pictures of various common scenes, like an intersection, or a section of a city street with parked cars, and ask the students to point out any potential hazards.

Most seemed oblivious to things that to me were quite obvious. They were too concerned about other things and not concerned enough about what was happening around their vehicle.

Like a cyclist about to blast through an intersection on a yellow light, or seeing a person in a parked car ahead (could be about to open their door without looking, or maybe about to pull out into traffic), or an animal near the road.

I tried to teach the students to always expect the unexpected. I tried to get them in the thought mode that, whenever they were driving, they should expect the other drivers to do something stupid and be prepared for it.

I've driven like that pretty much ever since I've been driving (30+ years now). Been in 2 car accidents. One I was a passenger and the driver was an idiot that lost control (I was 14 at the time).

The other one, I was stopped at a red light. Car behind me stopped. Car behind him didn't and slammed into the guy behind me, ramming him into me. Fortunately I had my foot on the brake already, and slammed it down hard when I felt the impact. Kept my vehicle from getting forced into the intersection, but didn't do the guy behind me much good. My big steel bumper crunched the front of his car almost as much as the idiot behind him did the rear.

What was the idiot's response to the accident ? He wasn't paying attention and thought the light was going to change. :o

Meanwhile, I've not had a helmet stolen in Pattaya (or Thailand for that matter) yet. I usually toss the skid lid and passenger helmet into the saddlebags when not in use. Other times I'm in a place where there are people keeping an eye on things. I've notice my friends on their big bikes are the same. No apparent concern that anyone will swipe on of their helmets.

I have noticed that it seems most Thai helmets are those cheapie little plastic jobs that aren't worth much to begin with, which is probably why they rarely seem too concerned about anyone stealing them. Leaving an expensive helmet laying around though may be a little too much temptation.

I have noticed that it seems most Thai helmets are those cheapie little plastic jobs that aren't worth much to begin with, which is probably why they rarely seem too concerned about anyone stealing them.

I've had 2 cheapie helmets stolen before I started locking them up. The problem is more about not getting stopped by Pattaya's finest on the way to buy a new one than the cost of the helmet.

Edited by tropo

for someone with the name 'farangfatal' you sure do sound like a square :o i can ride my bike with no handlebars...

Get your will up to date and hope they enjopy your money. I kinda think this thread whould meld well with one about "Not to use a condom. If you are forced, for economic reasons, to ride motorbikes use a helmut! Do you have sex without a condom.... I would suspect the same group that advocates no helmuts goes bare back on beach road whores!

Get your will up to date and hope they enjopy your money. I kinda think this thread whould meld well with one about "Not to use a condom. If you are forced, for economic reasons, to ride motorbikes use a helmut! Do you have sex without a condom.... I would suspect the same group that advocates no helmuts goes bare back on beach road whores!

When you ride do you use a "helmut" or a condom? :D

Personally I never use condoms....I haven't purchased one in over 4 years...however I do wear a "helmut" when riding a motorcycle. I suspect your theory is wrong. In actual fact, most riders in Pattaya probably wear "helmuts" only to avoid being harrassed by the local cops.

I ride motorcycles because I enjoy riding them. How pathetically shortsighted of you to think it has anything to do with economic reasons. Back in my own country I have both a car and a couple of bikes (one of them is for offroad). In heavy traffic I use bikes, even if raining, on long open road trips I'll use a car.

In Pattaya I wouldn't bother with a car because I wouldn't enjoy spending most of my day in traffic jams and gridlocked. Call it impatience if you like, but I just don't like spending my time sitting still in traffic.

I hope you've invested in a decent sound system or some other in-car entertainment system and have good airconditioning because you'll certainly need it considering the length of time it takes to drive a few kilometers in Pattaya traffic.

I was in a minor motorbike accident a week ago as a pillion passenger: truck pulled out of a side soi and we had a very low speed impact. Only minor scrapes and bruises, and bike was fine. The driver and I were each wearing one of the infamous cheap Index helmets, and quite surprisingly, they might well have saved our lives.

A nurse friend of mine once told me that the skull is like a raw egg -- just a proper tap on the pavement and it cracks right open. Our heads undoubtedly made contact with the pavement (though neither of us remember) and we're both walking around today.

However, I have doubts that the el cheapo helmets (like our Index ones) would be of much use in a more serious crash.

i had my 1500b helmet stolen from big c north pattaya a week ago.

Were you in the paid parking, or just on the street?

Two friends of mine have had helmets stolen: one from the street outside Big C, the other from the Carrefour motorcycle parking. Then one of those took to carrying around her new Index helmet and forgot it in the Big C women's restroom. It was stolen in the 15 minutes it took her to realize she'd left it.

I have a good imported helmet but now it looks so old w/ paint flaking etc. that it hasn't been stolen--yet. It also has some unique and distinctive decals that might (might) have some deterrence effect. But if I'm parking in an unlit or unwatched area, I take it with me anyway. Should get a box, but they're so uncool. :o

Why not try parking in the area reserved for motorbikes instead of taking up needed automobile spaces?

Somebody in a car probably saw it, liked it, cut it off and threw it in his car, never to be seen again. Much harder to do this on another motorbike.

My Helmet was stolen twice, in the area reserved for motorbikes, outside Lotus South Pattaya. It doesnt realy matter where you park. Security is just there to hand out your ticket.

I know it's going radiculous - but boring a small hole on the side of the helmet and chaining it through here would prevent loss

MODS - Your really should delete this post, albeit its just an opinion. We have to remeber that people take info on this site as gospel. Drilling a hole in a helmet is a big NO NO!

choppy

MODS - Your really should delete this post, albeit its just an opinion. We have to remeber that people take info on this site as gospel. Drilling a hole in a helmet is a big NO NO!

choppy

If we (mods) had to delete every bad idea that crops up on this forum...... Where would that leave us? :o

That is why we have many other wonderful, generous and caring members who donate their time & considerable knowledge to this forum thus saving others from certain disaster & dispelling urban myths, bad ideas & potential sticky situations, as I believe, in this particular instance, has happened twice allready in this topic. :D

There is no way I would leave an expensive helmet chained to my bike & from what I have learn't about helmets, one serious knock and it is time to replace it. :D

My second post of the day in a Pattaya thread, but I have been riding motorcycles and wearing helmets since 1961, so here goes.

Never had a helmet stolen. Not in Chiang Mai or Hua Hin. Only once did I pay less than 1,500 baht. The Nolans, both the real and the copies, usually have no way to lock onto a helmet hook. Maybe the Pattayans need to buy a car or move out of Pattaya to a place without bike thieves. Okay, now to go and complain how bad traffic was in Chiang Mai yesterday....

I've had a couple of helmets stolen from my parked bike - not locked so I guess my own fault really, but this was a couple of years ago when helmet theft wasn't really prolific. Since then I know one Thai bartender who's had two (on different occasions) super cheapo helmets stolen from his bike while parked at Carrefour. They had to cut the strap to steal them.

I also saw a Thai girl park her bike on Soi Buakhao, take off her helmet and a Thai guy passing on a motorbike snatched it out of her hands.

Is there a market for second hand helemts or is it just opportunism and people wanting to avoid both buying a helmet and avoiding a fine?

Maybe the Pattayans need to buy a car or move out of Pattaya to a place without bike thieves.

I'll just stay in Pattaya and pay for the odd new helmet now and then.

I reckon a lot of the cheapie (200 and under) helmets are stolen when people with more expensive ones have lost theirs and they need to get home without the risk of a ticket. Cheapies with a 50 baht visor will be often be stolen when it starts to rain heavily.

Edited by tropo

So I would recommend the issue as moot in that you should not be on motor bikes. Too Dangerous!

There's always a bunch of whimps suggesting that motorcycles are too dangerous. Just being alive is dangerous because we are all going to die sooner or later.

Dying is the easy way...

On a wheelchair for the rest of your life would be worst.

But I agree that if one's doesn't want to take any risk in Thailand he should lock himself home (and even...).