U.s. Government Warden Message

Mapguy

As I am a registered U.S. citizen, I received a "security alert" from the U.S. Embassy and responded to it as noted below. I believe that the message, however "reasonably" phrased was not appropriate to circumstances in Thailand and will have been misconstrued by people with a very limited view of life here but who get too much of their news from the TV or tabloids.

In no way are my comments meant to malign Americans or any nationality, but I do think that this sort of message can be fairly interupted by some as even more than a "CYA" [meaning "cover your bureaucratic butt" missive.

Some critics might go further to suggest that such messages represent an unfortunate extension of the politics of fear too often used by the soon-to-be ex- administration of the USA to manipulate popular opinion during the last eight years. One trick in the propagandists' bag is to make very vague historical references, such as found in the message, but: How many years of New Years violence? How many people killed or injured? How many tourists among them? Having worked with people and having had friends and acquaintances over time in the U.S. Department of State, I think that most (not all, but most) of them would agree with me.

I would be very interested in reading "security warnings" sent to expatriates from their countries or read specific reference to their appropriate national web sites. In my view, there have been entirely too many of them in the last several months regarding Thailand.

The consequence of such "warnings" is really serious economically for Thailand, which we all hope will soon come out of a very traumatic political period. Will there be other serious interruptions in day-to-day life here in the future? I expect so, unfortunately, but I fail to see how such cautionary notes are helpful to a country regardless of the ups and downs of the various parties and the political system in that struggle.

Out of curiosity, how many such messages have been issued regarding visiting Paris, France, which this holiday suffered the third annual increase (over one thousand, I believe) car burnings to celebrate the New Year? How many travel warnings were issued re the IRA bombings in the UK or more recently when London suffered truly tragic terrorist activities which make anything that has happened in Bangkok pale in comparison? I am not trying to pick on any particular nation or people, but I think you'll get my gist.

On the practical side of it, I think a travel warning pointing out possible disruptions in travel in-country ( still a travel agent's job, I would think!) is perfectly reasonable, But, again, how often have such warnings been issued for the national transit strikes of France or for Heathrow Terminal 5!! In the case of Thailand, the occupation of the airports was certainly not anticipated, an event that was indeed painful to many, many travelers. It was also remarkable how non-violent it was due both to the PAD and the government except (of course) for violence which possibly occurred among those waiting to go to the toilet. I do think that some sort of late muted advisory (from the U.S. Department of State) did come out when some Thai rail transit was interrupted a bit. Again, a travel agent's job.

Yes, the message text taken by itself is "reasonable," and one should use "good judgment," but, unfortunately, those measured phrases are distorted all too often by the people who read them --- and the writer should consider his audience much more thoughtfully before sending such messages, however well-meant the message might be.

I do hope this thread continues in a civil fashion.

My response followed by the original advisory:

I have lived in Thailand for a few years. These years have not been easy years for Thailand, but I think that this warden message is totally overstated and unnecessary. It strikes me more as a "CYA" message serving the U.S. Department of State rather than being truly thoughtful and sensible to realities in Thailand. Frankly, to avoid personal harm, I would advise staying off the road --- especially at night --- during the holiday season where the chance of personal harm is enormously more likely.

/s/

On Dec 30, 2008, at 5:44 AM, US Department of State Warden Message wrote:

Warden Message: Holiday Celebrations

American citizens traveling to or residing in Thailand during this holiday season are reminded that bombings have occurred in the country, including Bangkok specifically, during the New Year's celebratory events in past years. Given Thailand's experience with violence during this time of year and the currently dynamic political environment, American should remain vigilant of their surroundings at all times and exercise caution in areas of large public gatherings. American citizens are encouraged to avoid large public crowds whenever possible.

For the latest security information, Americans living and traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings, and health-information resources can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S. and Canada or, for callers in other areas, by calling a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

American citizens traveling or residing in Thailand are encouraged to register with the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. The Embassy is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after hours emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.