The Arse Falling Out Of The Thai Baht Is Long Overdue!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me that hates seeing "Discuss" on the end of forum postings?

The value of the baht hasn't changed much but the pound has crashed after a long period of being very strong. There is no reason why the British (or others) should find Thailand to be dirt cheap just because they are used to it.

The value of the baht hasn't changed much but the pound has crashed after a long period of being very strong. There is no reason why the British (or others) should find Thailand to be dirt cheap just because they are used to it.

Might just be you.

Discuss

It's artifically inflated.

Tourists don't want to come here cause the exchange rate is <deleted>.

It seems all currencies and economies are being devastated but Thailand is still maintaining itself... somewhat.

Discuss.

I agree. But the way things are everywhere makes it pretty difficult to assume at present. I think the government willneed to allow it to weaken to increase tourism and exports again. Too many unemployed otherwise.

Discussed.

It seems all currencies and economies are being devastated but Thailand is still maintaining itself... somewhat.

Discuss.

It may well be, but at the moment currencies such as Sterling are week against everything. Probably going to hover around 48-50 baht, although might move up to 60 later in the year (with a bit of luck).

It's not just Tourism that is hit by the strong baht.

Discuss.

Absolutely agree

Disgusted

Discuss.

The Baht is being supported against USD, it's not being supported against GBP because there is no need.

(GBP/THB is determined via USD/THB and the relationship of GBP to USD)

Tourists do seem to still want to come to Thailand, only those that can't seem to afford it any longer don't want to come and that may not altogether be a bad thing.

GBP/THB was 35 for a long time then fell in 1997 after the Asian crisis - maybe the currency is now returning to it's old levels.

GBP/THB was 35 for a long time then fell in 1997 after the Asian crisis - maybe the currency is now returning to it's old levels.

The baht was trading at 25 before the float in July '97 (unless my memory's playing tricks).

The baht was trading at 25 before the float in July '97 (unless my memory's playing tricks).

Oanda says, 39 baht on 01/06 and 44 baht on 01/07, we're both wrong.

Check http://www.fxstreet.com/fundamental/econom...stl/exthus.aspx

25.2 - 25.6 throughout '96; down to 24.5 in June '97; 30.2 in July; 44 in December. Not a good time to be paid in baht! We were on a year's leave without pay and had a job to go back to with all benefits and entitlements intact, but it was hard for people who were paying into superannuation or had mortgages back home, etc. and were dependent on their income here. Our employer set up a bonus scheme and managed to keep most people.

25.2 - 25.6 throughout '96; down to 24.5 in June '97; 30.2 in July; 44 in December. Not a good time to be paid in baht! We were on a year's leave without pay and had a job to go back to with all benefits and entitlements intact, but it was hard for people who were paying into superannuation or had mortgages back home, etc. and were dependent on their income here. Our employer set up a bonus scheme and managed to keep most people.

How really really strange that Oanda and FXstreet would show such different numbers in their history. We are talking about GBP/THB and not USD/THB? Ah got it, you are talking about USD/THB but the OP is talking about GBP.

Edited by chiang mai

How really really strange that Oanda and FXstreet would show such different numbers in their history. We are talking about GBP/THB and not USD/THB?

Oops! Apologies Chiang Mai. I should have read more of the posts (and read more carefully). I must say I had no idea the baht was so high against the GBP at that time.

Exports from Thailand will drop like a stone ( its already on the way ) .i dont think they realise the seriousness of this, but im betting they will, :o . does anyone know a foreigner that has bought a high priced item in the last 3 months, house ? car ? ,.

Edited by imaneggspurt

Exports from Thailand will drop like a stone ( its already on the way ) .i dont think they realise the seriousness of this, but im betting they will, :o . does anyone know a foreigner that has bought a high priced item in the last 3 months, house ? car ? ,.

Take a look at the classifieds section, 100's of properties up for sale and very few buyers.

imaneggspurt said: "does anyone know a foreigner that has bought a high priced item in the last 3 months, house ? car ? ,. "

Yes, I know somebody: ME...

WHY?

I bought a brand new big bike last month, and I'm very happy with it!

No problem at all for me...

And I know other Farangs that did the same...

My incomes are based on the Euro, not on the GBP...

And living today is better than "maybe" living tomorrow (IMHO)!

Cheers,

Gobs

Agree, it's not the baht its GBP. I'm getting much better rate for my euros now than earlier this year. Back in the 50's lately... Maybe it was a costly mistake for UK not to join euro zone 10 yrs ago ?

Agree, it's not the baht its GBP. I'm getting much better rate for my euros now than earlier this year. Back in the 50's lately... Maybe it was a costly mistake for UK not to join euro zone 10 yrs ago ?

But you can't base historical values on such a new currency.

The bt is overvalued full stop. It's being supported.

The pound is undervalued full stop, due to distortion in the money markets, basically many investments had to be sold up and returned to dollars or yen.

It's extremely beneficial to UK to have such a low exchange rate at present. It's extremely damaging for Thailand to have such a high exchange rate,

Ill informed posting in my view.

imaneggspurt said: "does anyone know a foreigner that has bought a high priced item in the last 3 months, house ? car ? ,. "

Yes, I know somebody: ME...

WHY?

I bought a brand new big bike last month, and I'm very happy with it!

No problem at all for me...

And I know other Farangs that did the same...

My incomes are based on the Euro, not on the GBP...

And living today is better than "maybe" living tomorrow (IMHO)!

Cheers,

Gobs

Oh well gobs, economic problem over then I think!!

NOTTT :o