Pattaya Times

johng

An article in Pattaya times ( Jan 1-15 2009 ) suggests that the new Pattaya immigration superintendent Anonnat Kamolrat

has said, officers will be visiting every place of busness ( in Pattaya ? ) to make sure that they are opperating

within the law...

"when our inspectors go to the registered business address they find Thai relatives of the guys girlfriend instead of employess" :D

Might be bad news for those who "own" thier land by the company route :o

An article in Pattaya times ( Jan 1-15 2009 ) suggests that the new Pattaya immigration superintendent Anonnat Kamolrat

has said, officers will be visiting every place of busness ( in Pattaya ? ) to make sure that they are opperating

within the law...

"when our inspectors go to the registered business address they find Thai relatives of the guys girlfriend instead of employess" :D

I don't know your topic title reflects what you have written and quoted below? Surely it has to do with taxation issues and not visa issues?

Thanks for the clarification and article.

Interestingly I look at point 11. If the farang has a work permit issued by the department of labour, then is it up to the immigration officer to determine if the farang is in violation of this point 11?

Surely as MD of an establishment, the farang is doing a job a Thai could do but chooses not to.

The article made it clear that the "crackdown" was targeted at those who abuse a non-imm "B" visa in order to reside in Thailand without actually running a real business. Specifically, those who obtain an 1-year extension of a non-imm B visa from Pattaya Immigration can expect an inspection of their business premises to see that the business activity stated on their extension application in fact exists. Seems perfectly reasonable to me...similar checks are done for those who obtain extensions based on marriage to, or support of, Thai nationals.

There is nothing in the article pertaining to issue of people owning their personal residences/land through a Thai corporation. The vast majority of these people are retirees and do not use the "dummy" Thai corporation route in onder to legally reside in Thailand. (They have retirement or marriage visa extensions.)

I was of the impression they were already enforcing this. On extension application based on work, one has to supply pictures of their staff, along with position. Normally sometime during your "under consideration" stay they will visit the place of business and make sure those employees are indeed actually working there.

If they are not happy with what they see, they will simply not issue the extension then!

There is nothing in the article pertaining to issue of people owning their personal residences/land through a Thai corporation. The vast majority of these people are retirees and do not use the "dummy" Thai corporation route in onder to legally reside in Thailand. (They have retirement or marriage visa extensions.)

The whole point of the article is that they will be checking for bogus companies....

many people have gone via "the company" route to own land and houses in Thailand

most of them would in fact be bogus : ie not really doing any trading..

how will those people now stay in Thailand if they don't have a visa ? what will happen to those bogus companies ?

I was of the impression they were already enforcing this

Yes Monty but in the article it says " Pattaya immigration is now requiring compliance with the new visa regulations and is visiting every place of business to make sure the business is operating "

I read that ( maybe wrongly ) to mean that they will be making special visits just to keep the business on its toes.

The whole point of the article is that they will be checking for bogus companies....

many people have gone via "the company" route to own land and houses in Thailand

most of them would in fact be bogus : ie not really doing any trading..

how will those people now stay in Thailand if they don't have a visa ? what will happen to those bogus companies ?

I was of the impression they were already enforcing this

Yes Monty but in the article it says " Pattaya immigration is now requiring compliance with the new visa regulations and is visiting every place of business to make sure the business is operating "

I read that ( maybe wrongly ) to mean that they will be making special visits just to keep the business on its toes.

You can own shares in a Thai company without having to have a work permit. It doesn't mean you are employed by the company just because you own shares in it.

So if you are a shareholder in any business that is legit and operating are you then entitled to a Non-Imm B visa, even if you are just a silent partner?

I think the answer is definitely No. Investing in a Thai company is completely independent of your residency status, as a shareholder only. I could own 49% of the shares in tons of Thai companies and still be living in London or Sydney. I don't have to live in Thailand to do it.

within the law...

most who use their land via company route use a retirement and not a business visa.

within the law...

most who use their land via company route use a retirement and not a business visa.

So only people over 50 years old own land trough the company route?

most who use their land via company route use a retirement and not a business visa

So nothing to worry about, business as usuall then ??? :o

Yes. It seems that way.

They are just looking for people they can hit up to supplement the dwindling income streams to their departments in fines, and to officials as backhanders, I suspect, although I would say the mood music doesn't sound good for people wanting to do business here. Another crackdown. But what they say is fair enough. There are other ways of staying here long term without having to worry about stuff like this.

The whole point of the article is that they will be checking for bogus companies....sits just to keep the business on its toes.

Yes...for people who use them to gain 1-year extensions (residency) of their visas!

The immigration head even remarks that they want to assist those who may be in said illegal situations to find a way to stay in Thailand long-term LEGALLY (donations to the upcoming officers' Songkran Party gladly accepted :D )

Nothing was said about the Thai corps and land/housing ownership...especially as these are not generally used for living in LOS purposes but for owning a residence. Therefore, any crackdown on them would come from either the Land Department or the Commerce Ministry (must keep our bureaucracies straight :o ).

within the law...

So only people over 50 years old own land trough the company route?

anyone can setup a company to buy land (even Thais i know many Thais that only use company to buy and never put their own name on any deed) .so it is the company that own the land not you . the only thing you need to watch out is a good accountant to makesure your company is in order !

So if you are a shareholder in any business that is legit and operating are you then entitled to a Non-Imm B visa, even if you are just a silent partner?

I think the answer is definitely No. Investing in a Thai company is completely independent of your residency status, as a shareholder only. I could own 49% of the shares in tons of Thai companies and still be living in London or Sydney. I don't have to live in Thailand to do it.

So what are the criteria for a Non-Imm B? Is it only supposed to be a stop-gap towards getting your work permit? How about all those people who own bars (for example) do not get a work permit but can argue that they need to be in Thailand to take care of their business? Let's assume they are under 50 so a retirement visa is not an option.