Does Your Wife Know Your Atm Pin Number?

george

Yes or no!  

227 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have known my Thai wife since 1993 and we have been married since 2000.

Of course she knows my pin number as I know hers.

I am in the process of setting up a list of things to do (which my mate will help with) for when I die wich will include contacting the embassy here, the offices of my pensions, the lawyer for my will (Thai as I live here), some friends and my son in the UK.

I know her own account in another bank that she deliberately has no ATM card for and some 20% of my salary she puts into that account as I have told her to do.

I love my wife and I trust her 100% so why would I not want her to know what WE have together.

I did the same with my first wife in the UK though in retrospect I think that she knew I was drifting away from her so she did some financial diversions. I was not happy about that though I cannot blame her.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, she has no reason to know. I give her her pocket money every Saturday. She has never asked me what it is and I have never asked her what hers is.

Nothing to do with trust.

Strangely, I was thinking yesterday what would happen if I died - would she be able to get my money in the bank?

Are you talking about a 5 yr old child ? ......"I give her her pocket money every Saturday" :o

My thoughts exactly...

You won't believe this but I swear it is true, my wife (from Isaan), does not know how to use an ATM card. Last week I opened a new Siam bank account in my name because I thought it would be easier to transfer money into it for my wife from my other Siam account instead of giving here cash all the time. When I gave her the card she said "I don't know how use, I neva use" . I couldn't believe it, but said I would teach her, but have not gotten around to it yet as I think it might be a long process..... :o

my wife and my daughter in britain are covered in my will.however my wife has full access to all my accounts in an emergancy .i have told her to fly to britain when i die and sort everything out with my daughter(they have lived together in Britain) its silly not to make provisions like that. why marry someone if you dont love and trust them.

I think that the OP is a troll. :D:D:o
Agreed, its heading his ( intended ) way by the look of it,.

The OP has been called many things over the years but this is the 1st time I can recall him described as a TROLL. :D

Between the pair of us we have some 5 different ATM cards both Thai and Australian as well as several credit cards. Although the PIN numbers are not the same they relate to each other and of coarse we both know them. Been that way for the 8 years we have been an item and was very handy when we were building our modest home here in the rice paddies.

All got to do with trust, emergencies and redundancy (back up situations).

I'd suggest that the vast majority of Thai men don't let the women know about the majority of their finances, or their 'second' mobile phone; gig, mia noi, etc. Thus, using European values (complete honesty?) would be very unusual and one-sided, perhaps...

A lot of Thai men hand over their ENTIRE salary to their wife, and the wife will give them spending money each day. And as for your 'European values' of complete honesty, that's the biggest joke I've ever heard. You can find married Euros in Nana every single night, I'm sure they're being completely honest when they tell their wives they're just going out for a pint with the lads.

Are you a native speaker? You don't appreciate the nuances at all, leading to a complete misunderstanding on your part.

The wives may believe that the husbands hand over all their cash, but the experiences told from my many Thai friends are very different...

The 'complete honesty' remark was referring to other posters comments about trust within their relationships. I added a question mark in order to show the limited nature (my own doubt) of this sentiment.

I don't understand your point about Nana plaza, I doubt if you do...

The wives may believe that the husbands hand over all their cash, but the experiences told from my many Thai friends are very different...

I can tell you that many Thai mens wives know exactly how much is coming into their pockets.

Japanese men are noted for handing over their paycheck to the wife, who then doles out an allowance, of course this does not apply to all Japanese people, the same way as any of our generalisations apply to all Thai people.

Each individual is in fact just that, an individual with completely different codes of conduct then many other individuals breathing the same air.

Yes on this Forum we generalize because we have no options , as we don't know personally all 65 Million Thai people that live here individually.

Then again at the end of the day, what does it matter what we think anyway ? :o

Thus, using European values (complete honesty?) would be very unusual and one-sided, perhaps...

:o:D

Jeez, you come out with some nonsense at times. :D

Just because you made yourself look foolish on another thread, no nead to stalk...

(hint: try to understand what the question mark means.)

A lot of Thai men hand over their ENTIRE salary to their wife, and the wife will give them spending money each day. ..........................
True, and I can introduce you to two Farang (British) whose TW's handle their ENTIRE income (pensions) and gives them spending money each day. One as low as 200Baht. :o

Thus, using European values (complete honesty?) would be very unusual and one-sided, perhaps...

:o:D

Jeez, you come out with some nonsense at times. :D

Just because you made yourself look foolish on another thread, no nead to stalk...

(hint: try to understand what the question mark means.)

With or without the question mark its a little confusing.

European values.....what does that mean ?

( What other thread ? ) :D

Edited by Maigo6

A lot of Thai men hand over their ENTIRE salary to their wife, and the wife will give them spending money each day. ..........................
True, and I can introduce you to two Farang (British) whose TW's handle their ENTIRE income (pensions) and gives them spending money each day. One as low as 200Baht. :o

Insanity.

No she does not know. When married to my ex Japanese wife she did not know. Joint account and everything seperate apart from Amex which we used as our main shopping card.

I guess some of these people who say their partner does know all and sundry also post up about about Thais robbing you, problems in the family meaning cash is needed, their partners not understanding that money is not just to be spent immediately etc.

I would like to think I could but I would not do so and see no reason why I should. I can transfer money to her account and vice versa on the internet and she has a card linked to an account in my name which has limited funds in it.

Also, all banks, all over the world stipulate that you are not to share your PIN number with anyone, not even your wife !

this is true, unfortunately and the restriction is usually listed in most bank's 'terms and conditions' under security. I found this out when getting my card unblocked once by my bank in the UK when in Thailand (the usual security arrangement that banks have) and said something about my wife going to the cash point and not being able to withdraw cash...

the implication being that if you do not adhere to the security arrangement required by the bank they are under no obligation to respond favorably when there is a problem...

Youknow.. Thai banks do offer shared accounts (and/or) where both partners have their own ATM card that accesses the same account. Also the question mentioned 'wife' (spouse, implied) specificaly. If you marry someone you better trust them with a lot more than your money.

oh wait, this is Thaivisa. :o

It seems to me that in a marriage everything is shared. Fifty percent of my earnings belong to my wife. This is the law is it not? I manage the money, mostly through the use of various accounts. She pays the bills through a joint account. We each have savings accounts. All pin numbers are known to both of us. Money decisions are shared.

Ofc my wife has the ATM pin code. I however doesn't have her's but I don't need it. What I however require is to be told if there have been founds taken out of the account and a brief description on what it was used for. Which seems hard enough if ones wife was semi-spoiled as a kid and still learning the value of money...

My wife has a second card on each of my credit cards in her own name and her own pin number, however I keep the cards with me, its usefull for to use when booking tickets, that way she could travel alone if need be.

My wife is quite frugil.

Edited by ArranP

That's not too bad. I don't spend 200 baht a day.

I agree, My wife has the pin to all three of my cards, if I cant trust my wife then who can I trust?

Your immediate family. You can divorce your wife, but not your immediate family.

I think the most trust will or should always be between those who grew up together, your siblings. At least I think this is just more natural. I would probably trust my brother more than anyone for the rest of his and my life.

I agree, My wife has the pin to all three of my cards, if I cant trust my wife then who can I trust?

Your immediate family. You can divorce your wife, but not your immediate family.

I think the most trust will or should always be between those who grew up together, your siblings. At least I think this is just more natural. I would probably trust my brother more than anyone for the rest of his and my life.

Good idea - I'll leave my numbers with my siblings. If I'm in an accident, there's a chance my wife will be there too.

My siblings would look after my kids, as I would theirs.

My husband has his own bank accout as do I. I know his pin & he has been told mine, whether he remembers it is another matter. :D

We also have 5 joint credit cards with over 40k GBP on them (all in credit) & he has, in the past 5 years, used none of them. I can't say the same :o

Thank God my wife has my PIN number, I can't for the life of me ever remember it. :o

Yes, I know it's only four numbers, but it just will not stick in my memory.

If I go out by myself, I write it on my hand!

Like many others on here, my wife is extremely frugal with money, always has been.

Like jdinasia, I live with my long time Thai boyfriend. I do not think he had my PIN's until my accident in July. Now he has the PIN to my debit and credit cards. Because I trust him. He takes my pension funds out, 25K at a time, when I tell him to, and always brings me the ATM slip and the cash, which we divide as needed.

Wife has my PIN numbers and we share everything

As the mother of our child, my wife, best friend..........What else should you do

If I were to drop dead tomorrow I know they will be able to continue to access what was ours in the first instance

:o

Thank God my wife has my PIN number, I can't for the life of me ever remember it. :o

Yes, I know it's only four numbers, but it just will not stick in my memory.

If I go out by myself, I write it on my hand!

Like many others on here, my wife is extremely frugal with money, always has been.

You can CHANGE the PIN number.

Maybe try 1111 :D