Is Thailand Getting Too Expensive?

bberg

I was in the UK for Xmas. Went to Sainsburys to pick up supplies for the first part of the week (not a full week) - shampoo, cereal, veg, fruit, eggs, meat, cheese, milk, pâte and olives (can't remember the rest). Plus a couple cans of beer and two litres of booze (Laphroaig and Bombay).

It came to 1,800 baht, which is about what I pay for a single bottle of Laphroaig in BKK. Yes, I know... imported booze...

My weekly grocery bill in Bangkok is considerably over that. In fact, my grocery bill has doubled in the four years I've been here. The biggest jump just this last year.

(another one paid in Thai baht)

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things have certainly become a lot more expensive in comparison with the UK.

First time here was in 91 or 92 when it was 85 baht to the pound. Everything appeared ridiculously cheap.

No, it wasn't. In 1991 and 1992 it was 45 to the pound.

In autumn of 1993, the pound collapsed to a record low of 31 to the pound, before again returning to 45 a couple of years later.

Only with the Asian Economic Collapse did the pound reach record heights of 100 to the pound. All we are seeing now is the pound and the dollar returning to real worth against South-East Asian currencies.

In the past it was always: 25 baht = 1 dollar & 45 baht = 1 pound

I was in the UK for Xmas. Went to Sainsburys to pick up supplies for the first part of the week (not a full week) - shampoo, cereal, veg, fruit, eggs, meat, cheese, milk, pâte and olives (can't remember the rest). Plus a couple cans of beer and two litres of booze (Laphroaig and Bombay).

It came to 1,800 baht, which is about what I pay for a single bottle of Laphroaig in BKK. Yes, I know... imported booze...

My weekly grocery bill in Bangkok is considerably over that. In fact, my grocery bill has doubled in the four years I've been here. The biggest jump just this last year.

(another one paid in Thai baht)

Silly comparison.

Oh come on.... that's all Farang food. If you eat that kind of food every day in Thailand, probably most of it imported, then you are gonna pay a bomb.

You go to London and buy imported Durian, Kaffir Lime, Rambutan, Thai Rath newspaper and Galangal etc.... and you will pay through your nose.

Example one slice of durian in London is 3 pound while a single rambutan is 50p. As for kaffir lime (for tom yum) that's 60 pound a kilo (in Thailand it's almost free, grows like a weed).

Edited by ThaiEye

I brought my Thai wife, daughter and myself over here in 2003. Have investments in property, bank savings and now completely established in Thailand.

But as lately, been having regrets for investing here, which means I am not able to be able to just walk away and leave it.

Over the last few years I have witnessed prices going up in leaps and bounds. This includes general cost of living, medical and social. Thailand is no longer the bargain basement it used to be and living expenditure can be compared to Western countries.

If I was still living in the UK, I doubt very much whether I would still be visiting Thailand as a tourist, when these days there is better deals to be had elsewhere.

I brought my Thai wife, daughter and myself over here in 2003. Have investments in property, bank savings and now completely established in Thailand.

But as lately, been having regrets for investing here, which means I am not able to be able to just walk away and leave it.

Those investments - aren't they of a kind that provides Thai based income somewhat adjustable with respect to Thai based expenses? If 'no' you're free to feel as doomed as you wish, but if 'yes', hey - lighten up, your better off than about 97% of the doomsday posters, who has no means of adjusting their income while living their easygoing dreamlife in Thailand.

ThaiEye , I am one of those people who did NOT go to Thailand to become submerged in folk lore , ghosts or eating what i call animal fodder with little vitamin content (stunted growth) , purchasing items for my regular healthy diet from a weekly farmers market , I still ate what i liked/enjoyed and was healthy at a respectable cost . The last time I was in Thailand , with my depreciated C$/Pound pension , I checked on prices of food and realised I was lucky to have left to come where I am , because I could no longer afford to live there the way I enjoy to live . Say what you like about whatever , anyway you like to put it , it has become too expensive for many to live a NORMAL life in Thailand , unless you LOWER your standards which I for one am not prepared to do . :o

Over the last few years I have witnessed prices going up in leaps and bounds. This includes general cost of living, medical and social. Thailand is no longer the bargain basement it used to be and living expenditure can be compared to Western countries.

If I was still living in the UK, I doubt very much whether I would still be visiting Thailand as a tourist, when these days there is better deals to be had elsewhere.

Are you still getting an income from TAGGED? :o

Last time I went back to the UK was july 2007 and I could'nt find a full brekky anywhere for less than a fiver. Mind you it was good bacon.

HL :D

Weatherforks has dropped their boozse to 99p and someone said that their breakfast was still £1-99 which sounds OK...however

recently wiffee started dragging me on my days off down to our local Ikea .....the Sweedish furniture place ..big cheap sofas ,beds ,chairs and all that stuff...(in Tottenham) for early breakkies... :o

A full English which consists of scrambled egg 1 sausage (succulent), a piece of bacon (fresh and not too fatty) grilled tomato (very nice and not overdone) and two hash browns (not too greasy) all for £1 and is served up till 11am (bit early )

.....including a cup of tea /coffee.....thats about wot...... 49Bt

Most greasy spoons will do a mug of rosie and crusty bacon sarnies for about 1-50.......but that a bit peng...innit :D

Those investments - aren't they of a kind that provides Thai based income somewhat adjustable with respect to Thai based expenses? If 'no' you're free to feel as doomed as you wish, but if 'yes', hey - lighten up, your better off than about 97% of the doomsday posters, who has no means of adjusting their income while living their easygoing dreamlife in Thailand.

And for us English speakers?

ThaiEye , I am one of those people who did NOT go to Thailand to become submerged in folk lore , ghosts or eating what i call animal fodder with little vitamin content (stunted growth) , purchasing items for my regular healthy diet from a weekly farmers market , I still ate what i liked/enjoyed and was healthy at a respectable cost . The last time I was in Thailand , with my depreciated C$/Pound pension , I checked on prices of food and realised I was lucky to have left to come where I am , because I could no longer afford to live there the way I enjoy to live . Say what you like about whatever , anyway you like to put it , it has become too expensive for many to live a NORMAL life in Thailand , unless you LOWER your standards which I for one am not prepared to do .

Not sure what you mean about 'animal fodder with little vitamin content'.

While I did come here to enjoy Thailand (ghosts included), like you I did not come here to do away with all things Western. I am not one who prides themself on living/eating all things Thai. Sure, I eat Thai (and love it), but I also enjoy other nationalities... English, Italian, Japanese, Mexican. And it is expensive to eat that way in Thailand. And when my income is no longer growing, I'll keep a closer eye on my budget. But in the meantime, I'll shrug and enjoy life my way. ChefXpress included.

And ThaiEye, since I spend time offstation mainly in the UK and the UK, it's natural for me (and others) to compare prices between those countries and Thailand. And it's not comparing just Western to Western. In BKK, I shop at various venues for groceries - on the street, at Big C, Carrefour, Villa... I buy Thai products where they are available (vegetables, fruit, chicken, meat, eggs, honey, beer... whatever). Prices here have noticably gone up, so yes, I do feel comfortable making the comparison to the UK.

ThaiEye , I am one of those people who did NOT go to Thailand to become submerged in folk lore , ghosts or eating what i call animal fodder with little vitamin content (stunted growth) , purchasing items for my regular healthy diet from a weekly farmers market , I still ate what i liked/enjoyed and was healthy at a respectable cost . The last time I was in Thailand , with my depreciated C$/Pound pension , I checked on prices of food and realised I was lucky to have left to come where I am , because I could no longer afford to live there the way I enjoy to live . Say what you like about whatever , anyway you like to put it , it has become too expensive for many to live a NORMAL life in Thailand , unless you LOWER your standards which I for one am not prepared to do . :D

Dumball,

I'm not sure moving from processed foods, cereals and things to fresh food thai style is such a bad thing. I feel if you do a fair comparo & remember that obviously improted stuff is likely to be higher than ur homeland, it can still be cheap here. If you think Thailand is expensive for stuff, don't go to the United Arab Emirates (Dubai-Abu Dhabi), the cost of stuff in the supermarket there is out of control.....little men actually stand next to the fixtures constantly changing the price tags every 15 minutes or so as the prices go up :o .

You claim cambodia is so much cheaper, give us an example of something??

Being resident in HK, and considering moving to LOS, I cant wait for a less expensive lifestyle.....my current rental is 225k (Baht) per month here in HK (thankfully paid by the company)....whilst it is a nice place, I think a little step down to something for say around 22 500 baht wont hurt at all....I think it all comes down to how much we value the experience over the comfort, not saying you cant have both....

The reality of living in Asia is that it is a package deal, some choose lifestyle over convenience, others cost of living of social benefits - each to their own...there are positives and negatives to comparing every country......when the negatives outweigh the positives, we move.......

I cant for a minute think of going back to my home country - it is just too bloody depressing...prices go up, currencies de-value - this happens everywhere...at least in some parts of Asia, the base is still relatively low...When prices for stuff in Tokyo go up, you know it is about to hit the fan :o

Thailand is now too expensive for folks with crappy base currencies, like the Brits and the Scandinavians.

People with real money in their pocket, i.e. euro, yen etc have no problem at all. Unless you wanna eat & drink in Thai just as you do in farangland, Thai is still dirty cheap, even in the most touristic spots. :o

Edited by kebabbaro

Thailand is now too expensive for folks with crappy base currencies, like the Brits and the Scandinavians.

People with real money in their pocket, i.e. euro, yen etc have no problem at all. Unless you wanna eat & drink in Thai just as you do in farangland, Thai is still dirty cheap, even in the most touristic spots. :o

Spot-on. Just a pity that so many expats after spending years here are still acting like tourists (so, complain bout the costs)

Edited by ThaiEye

People with real money in their pocket, i.e. euro, yen etc have no problem at all. Unless you wanna eat & drink in Thai just as you do in farangland, Thai is still dirty cheap, even in the most touristic spots. :D

Nonsense, I think it might depend on what type of salary you are earning. Thos with money will still go to expensive destinations, and Thailand is certainly not one of the most expensive destinations around.

In some way the high prices might actually keep some of the crap away. As for the Euro, it is already starting to lose value again.

Price of Cider though is dam_n expensive, if I was to convert it back into pounds 4 quid. :o

Luckily getting paid in baht has it's advantages, as it'll be nice and cheap going back to the UK for a holiday this year, and the currency fluctuations dont affect my day to day expenditures.

No, it's not getting too expensive. Some things have always been more expensive in Thailand. It's the world that is getting more expensive. It's getting more expensive just about everywhere. Also, the baht has gone down since being strong. It seems to have petered out for the moment.

Things have certainly become a lot more expensive in comparison with the UK.

First time here was in 91 or 92 when it was 85 baht to the pound. Everything appeared ridiculously cheap.

I started to live here full-time six years ago and bought a new honda motorbike to get around for 500 pounds, the same bike now costs 1000 pounds. For me, the last five years, or so, seem to have shown a massive cost increase in everyday living.

A weakening pound, strong baht, high 'real' inflation in Bkk (prices for so many things seem to have jumped up by a minimum of 50%), profit expectations from locals / businesses - make everything more expensive.

Too expensive? I can still live comfortably enough, but it isn't great value any more. Things change...

I think you're mixing up your years. The baht was in the currency basket in the early 90s and went as strong as 35 baht to the pound at one point, though it was usually 40 baht to the pound, it wasn't higher than that until the crash in 96 or 97 when it was floated.

People with real money in their pocket, i.e. euro, yen etc have no problem at all. Unless you wanna eat & drink in Thai just as you do in farangland, Thai is still dirty cheap, even in the most touristic spots. :D

Nonsense, I think it might depend on what type of salary you are earning. Thos with money will still go to expensive destinations, and Thailand is certainly not one of the most expensive destinations around.

In some way the high prices might actually keep some of the crap away. As for the Euro, it is already starting to lose value again.

Price of Cider though is dam_n expensive, if I was to convert it back into pounds 4 quid. :o

Luckily getting paid in baht has it's advantages, as it'll be nice and cheap going back to the UK for a holiday this year, and the currency fluctuations dont affect my day to day expenditures.

(crappy game last night) Mr Toad, going back to the UK is unlikely to be cheaper as inflation tends to jump when currency weakens (eg, imported goods get more expensive). But as long as you stick to local fish and chips, you should be able to catch a bargain or two.

[

(crappy game last night) Mr Toad, going back to the UK is unlikely to be cheaper as inflation tends to jump when currency weakens (eg, imported goods get more expensive). But as long as you stick to local fish and chips, you should be able to catch a bargain or two.

To right it was, oh well have to wait for the 2nd leg.

I'll be sticking to the local foods back home, so shouldn't be to much of a problem. Plenty of Cornish Pasties . :o

Thailand offers best value for British travellers

By Caroline Shearing/Telegraph

Last Updated: 7:35PM GMT 05 Jan 2009

Long-haul destinations such as South Africa and Thailand provide the best value for British holidaymakers, according to new research.

Thailand, which topped the poll of affordable destinations, was found to be 41 per cent cheaper than Spain

A combination of lower living costs and better exchange rates, together with an increase in the number of flight and accommodation deals has made far-flung destinations more affordable to British travellers, according to the Post Office's Holiday Costs Barometer Survey.

The survey, which compared the cost of everyday purchases such as evening meals, suncream and a cup of coffee, found that many tourist items were up to 50 per cent cheaper in a selection of long-haul destinations than the eurozone.

Thailand, which topped the poll of affordable destinations, was found to be 41 per cent cheaper than Spain, where a bottle of mineral water was almost three times more expensive than in the Far East. In second place was South Africa, where a bottle of suntan lotion was less than half the price of those in Italy.

Andrew Spice, of Post Office Travel Services, said: "Despite its recent troubles, Thailand remains a great prospect for UK holidaymakers. The Thai baht may have strengthened against sterling but prices remain very low in the country and the discounts now available to top resorts like Phuket and Hua Hin will make Thailand unbeatable value."

Other countries offering good value to British tourists were Kenya, where a cup of coffee (£2.01) was nearly 40 per cent cheaper than in Greece (£3.26), and Malaysia, where a bottle of beer (£2.56) was 31 per cent cheaper than in France (£3.72).

Original article & chart comparison

*Basket of goods comparisons aside (and airfare costs)...

Particularly for UK pensioners living in Thailand over the past few years (and Aussies, S/A, Danes, etc..) all have suffered a massive drop in real terms:

5y.png

Sterling/Baht 5 year view

Edited by baht&sold

Yes, it's getting expensive. Several months ago, I went to the States for a couple of weeks and had Thai friends ask me to get things for them--a laptop computer, a digital camera and a few other things. I asked why and they said it was because they were cheaper!! I opted out of getting things because I was going to be too busy to do much shopping (I told them there was the difference in the electrical current--110 vs. 220).

They had checked this stuff out on the internet. It was always the other way around before.

today's digital appliances automatically adjust to the local voltage, especially laptops and cameras.

Being resident in HK, and considering moving to LOS, I cant wait for a less expensive lifestyle.....my current rental is 225k (Baht) per month here in HK

wow, 225k/month ...that's over $6,600! did you get one too many zeros in there? That's enough to rent an airline hangar with the airplane.

Check out C.Rai if you want a reasonable rent. there are decent houses here for under Bt.6k/month. You could rent 225 of them for the price of one HK place, and you'd get cleaner air, and friendlier neighbors.

I reside in Thailand, but when I go visit the States (about a week every 2 years) - I enjoy going to thrift stores and garage sales - mostly for clothes which are a whole lot cheaper than anywhere in Thailand - but also for the cheap do-dads - roller skates, lamps, electronic stuff, books, ....you name it. I wish Thailand could also have places for used furniture and building supplies. There was a place in my former home town in California that was an outlet for 2nd hand building supplies. It was my 1st stop - any time I had a building project. Greeeaaaat savings - and a lot of the items were like new. Couldn't happen in Thailand.

As for food, 2 of my favorite restaurants in C.Rai are Moslem places. 35 baht gets you chicken (so tender you could cut it with a plastic fork), excellent curry/saffron yellow rice (Thais don't know how to make it like that), salad, and soup. ....and no MSG. Plus, the bathroom sinks have bars of soap bigger than a slivered almond - apparently Muslims give more credence to cleanliness, at least as it relates to eating.

Nickbk: Firstly, the currency here in Thailand is called the "Baht" not bath.

Secondly, Bberg stated; "The currency I represent is the Norwegian Kroner and like the pund it has fallen dramaticlly" so he is obviously aware that the decline in these currencies is the primary reason for the recent changes in exchange rate.

Anyway. For me (having my base currency as the UK Sterling) Thailand has become dramatically more expensive in recent years. I now pay a similar amount in going out i.e. drinking and eating here as I do in my home town in the UK. Also buying decent clothes here is now far more expensive than the UK.

Out of interest Britmaveric, to what are you referring when you say;

Still cheap as chips!!!!!

I wonder where you buy your clothes and where you out to dinner. I still buy first class shirts like the brands Alain Delon, Dior or YSL for a fraction of the price in Belgium. I go to eat whit 4 person at Chockchai for the price of 1 person in Belgium. You can not even have a decent meal in a normal restaurant in Belgium under the price of 2500 baht a person. A bread cost in Belgium 90 baht. A bottle of Coke 1,5 L 85 baht. So I do wonder where you are shopping. Or do you buy a few bottles of wine every day, because wine is indeed unbelieveable expensive in Thailand. sigarettes are in Thailand 5 to 6 times cheaper.

Where in Europe you can buy an 4WD 3L diesel Automatic SUV like an Foruner for the same price as in Thailand, not yet to mention the price of taxis, benzine or diesel. A pick up is in Thailand half the price comparing to Thailand. Where in any European capital you can find an 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom appartment with 3 airco fully furnished and have an completely western installed kitchen for 15 000 Baht a month in a new secured building.

Please keep some sense of reality

Renting an apartment and eating Thai food is still very cheap. Medical care is still relatively cheap as well however just about everything else has inflated dramatically. Movies, supermarket goods, pharmaceuticals, airfare hotels. I often end up spending as much or more than I used to in Farangland.

Hotels expensive in Thailand? WOW, you can find a first class hotel in Chiang Mai, Chian Rai, Udon, Khon Kaen, Mae Hong Song and many other cities below 1500 Baht. In Europe you can not even have an break and breakfast for that price.

Did you ever stayed in an comparable Hotel in Paris, Venice or Rome? You pay at least 10 000 Baht, and much less good service.

I wonder how long people who complain about Thailand becoming expensive didn't visit Europe or their home country.

Renting an apartment and eating Thai food is still very cheap. Medical care is still relatively cheap as well however just about everything else has inflated dramatically. Movies, supermarket goods, pharmaceuticals, airfare hotels. I often end up spending as much or more than I used to in Farangland.

Hotels expensive in Thailand? WOW, you can find a first class hotel in Chiang Mai, Chian Rai, Udon, Khon Kaen, Mae Hong Song and many other cities below 1500 Baht. In Europe you can not even have an break and breakfast for that price.

Did you ever stayed in an comparable Hotel in Paris, Venice or Rome? You pay at least 10 000 Baht, and much less good service.

I wonder how long people who complain about Thailand becoming expensive didn't visit Europe or their home country.

I think quite a few people are missing the point that much of this discussion is about the rise in Thai prices and the consequent narrowing of the gap with Western prices that was indeed big some years ago. This rise is in baht prices and is in addition to currency exchange rate fluctuations. Provincial hotels aren't as pricey as Bangkok hotels but still provide some examples of what we are talking about. One of the few really first class hotels in Isaan was the Sofitel in Khon Kaen, which could indeed be had on promotion for 1500 a night a few years ago. It has recently been re-branded as the Pullman. Visit the website and take a look at current prices. Incidentally I have also stayed in Italy, Turkey, Canada, Brussels, Paris and Belfast in the last 12 months and did not find the prices quite as steep as the survey suggests. In Southern Italy I thought prices were very reasonable. For example, I was getting a small bottle of Moretti or Nastro Azzurro in bars for around Euro 2.50 and restaurant meals at much lower than the quoted rate.

Edited by citizen33

thailand expensive???????? im sorry guys, have you been to the west latley? ok im sure thailand is more expensive now than it was 5-10 years ago but so is the west. There only three things i have found more expensive in thailand than the west imported food, wine and cars. amazing :o

thailand expensive???????? im sorry guys, have you been to the west latley? ok im sure thailand is more expensive now than it was 5-10 years ago but so is the west. There only three things i have found more expensive in thailand than the west imported food, wine and cars. amazing :o

yes agree with you,what makes thailand seem more expensive for many that live here is the worsening exchange rates,and declining interest rates on investments back home.

And for us English speakers?

Step one: Ignore the few grammatical mistakes non-native speakers may make and try to understand their posts regardless.

Once step one is mastered - and not a split second before - proceed to step two.

Step two: Learn to think a tiny bit outside your habitual box.

yes agree with you,what makes thailand seem more expensive for many that live here is the worsening exchange rates,and declining interest rates on investments back home.

yup that will make this place feel more expensive, i feel for the retired guys, can only imagine what it must be like to watch your life earnings shrink, well i only have about 20 years till i have to worry about retirement, so i dont feel that bad for em' could be in the us watching the same thing happen, least you can afford to go have a beer to kill your sorrows here :D