Should My Wife Change Her Name On Thai Id And Passport?

Have never heard of a middle name being used here (only nick name) but don't know legal status. She can keep here maiden name after marriage if she wants - that is allowed now.

I've got two middle names on my thai ID and passport. Is very possible if you want to have them like that...but thats the way it is on my birth certificate as well.

Both my daughters have their middle names on their Passports, BC's etc too.

Yes, that loooong discussion has been had already, the compromise being a retention of the family name AS a middle name, just wondering if the Thai authorities can handle this or not, I know it can be done our side, but what about theirs? Hmmm

Oz

should be possible. My cousin tagged on her husbands surname after she got married. Her surname is now 'double barreled'.

All her legal documents in Thailand such as ID card, driver's license, and Thai passport are all in her maiden name. Should we get these all changed to her married name or does it really matter?

If she plans to travel, and do the dual citizenship jig (recommended for long term stay in Thailand scenarios), whereby she enters Thailand on her Thai passport, and the US on her US passport, she'll need to have just one name on both passports and ticket -- or the discrepancy will be noted, and probably cause a problem.

Agreed.

Don’t’ know for sure if that does cause problems, but it sure seems to me having two passports with the same name sure would be better then two in different names, that alone would be enough to change to married name.

The note on farang surname impacting property purchase is rubbish.

TH

My wife and I were married in the US where we currently reside. She is now a US citizen. For all of her US documents, she uses my surname. However, she still uses her maiden name for all of her Thai documents. She has never had a problem traveling back and forth to Thailand. She keeps a certified copy of our marriage certificate with her Thai passport in case anyone wants proof that she is my wife. Why she doesn't register herself as married is something I don't understand. She won't discuss it with me and she claims it is for the best. I know that some of her Thai friends also have never changed their last names or registered their marriages with the government. And I know that many of the rural Thai wed to Thai marriages are also not registered. This includes my wife's brother and his wife. They never even had a Bhuddist ceremony because he didn't have the money for it.

I don't understand. She won't discuss it with me and she claims it is for the best.

This could be that she still believes having a foreign name would prevent land ownership - the procedure changed about 10 years ago so that is no longer a valid issue. Other possibilities could be more serious so it not the land ownership probably best to not question it.

TW did it off her own bat after we were married. I went away to work and on my return she had a new ID, name change registered in her passport etc. She wanted to do it.

We have since bought 3 properties and as someone said all I had to do was sign saying it was her money doing the purchasing. That worked in reverse where in a moment of extreme weakness I was talked into lending a close relative one of our (her) Chanots so as he could borrow money to go working overseas. I had to sign documents at the Amphor before they would release the Chanot to the bank. So it appears that having a Farang name on the title does have its benefits. ---- A local thing? I don't know.

Edit: Typo

Edited by bdenner

I don't understand. She won't discuss it with me and she claims it is for the best.

According to my wife, her sister, after obtaining a divorce from her Thai husband, had to carry paperwork with her that noted the divorce was final, and that she could now make certain decisions without needing the endorsement of her ex-husband.

This was decades ago, so I don't know if such is the case today. But, it wouldn't surprise me that, for at least ongoing marriages in Thailand, certain actions still require the husband's approval -- that wouldn't be the case in the West.

So, I can see why Thai gals might look at official marriage as causing more potential problems than it's worth.

Now, from a husband's point of view......... :)

For what it's worth, here is my experience since posting earlier in the year. We have a unique situation in that my wife's birth date was changed at her amphoer of birth. (really long story) ThaiVisa search doesn't seem to work so I can't find the thread I started talking about that issue. Anyway, we decided to change my wife's name for personal reasons because, well, we're married. Also we decided to change her name so that all legal documents would match and just make life easier hopefully.

First we went to the U.S. embassy to get our marriage certificate notarized. Then we went outside and had it translated for 150baht. Then we drove straight to the Ministry of Affairs Legalization Division. We showed them the certificate, her current ID card, and notary letter from the embassy. 4 hours later, we got the appropriate documents and headed home. My wife will now to to any amphoe of choice to change her last name on ID card and then passport. I still don't get the household registration book. We still pass around her father's to whoever in the family needs it. I don't know how changing her name will effect that, but hopefully we won't have to deal with this document crap for awhile. I've spent way too many hours sweating in government offices. :)

For what it's worth, here is my experience since posting earlier in the year. We have a unique situation in that my wife's birth date was changed at her amphoer of birth. (really long story) ThaiVisa search doesn't seem to work so I can't find the thread I started talking about that issue. Anyway, we decided to change my wife's name for personal reasons because, well, we're married. Also we decided to change her name so that all legal documents would match and just make life easier hopefully.

First we went to the U.S. embassy to get our marriage certificate notarized. Then we went outside and had it translated for 150baht. Then we drove straight to the Ministry of Affairs Legalization Division. We showed them the certificate, her current ID card, and notary letter from the embassy. 4 hours later, we got the appropriate documents and headed home. My wife will now to to any amphoe of choice to change her last name on ID card and then passport. I still don't get the household registration book. We still pass around her father's to whoever in the family needs it. I don't know how changing her name will effect that, but hopefully we won't have to deal with this document crap for awhile. I've spent way too many hours sweating in government offices. :)

Can you tell us the name/web address of the person or company. I guess it does not cost anything to get the paper from the ministry. Right? But, how does one do if one is not in BKK. The Canadian consulate says you can send them the 2 affidavits, but must pay them some fee by way of money order. Is there anyone who has done it this way? How does the Thai citizen do in this instance? Does she need to send some paper/copies to the ministry as well? I will email the ministry, which might give me some answers. Thanks.

First we went to the U.S. embassy to get our marriage certificate notarized. Then we went outside and had it translated for 150baht. Then we drove straight to the Ministry of Affairs Legalization Division. We showed them the certificate, her current ID card, and notary letter from the embassy. 4 hours later, we got the appropriate documents and headed home. My wife will now to to any amphoe of choice to change her last name on ID card and then passport. I still don't get the household registration book. We still pass around her father's to whoever in the family needs it. I don't know how changing her name will effect that, but hopefully we won't have to deal with this document crap for awhile. I've spent way too many hours sweating in government offices. :D

Can you tell us the name/web address of the person or company. I guess it does not cost anything to get the paper from the ministry. Right? But, how does one do if one is not in BKK. The Canadian consulate says you can send them the 2 affidavits, but must pay them some fee by way of money order. Is there anyone who has done it this way? How does the Thai citizen do in this instance? Does she need to send some paper/copies to the ministry as well? I will email the ministry, which might give me some answers. Thanks.

Found some info on the website:

Legalization Fee (per document/stamp)

ท Certified genuine signature 200 Baht

ท Certified true copy of document issued by Thai authorities

200 Baht

ท Certified true copy of civil and family registration document

200 Baht

ท Certified translation of judicial document

* First 100 words 200 Baht

* Every 100 words or the remaining of the next 100 words

200 Baht

ท Certified other documents (documents prior certified by other Thai authorities concerned) 200 Baht

Normal Service: The certified document is ready for collection within 2 working days after the date of submission;

Express Service: The certified document is ready for collection within the same day of submission. The fees are double of normal service fees.

(The applicant is advised to submit the application within 15.30 hrs.);

Postal Service is available for your convenience;

Remarks: Legalization of a document issued in foreign country cannot be processed without prior legalization by the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in that country or by the Embassy or Consulate of that country in Thailand.

The consulate indicates that both signatures need to be recognized/certified by the ministry, but I find this a little bit too contrived as this would mean that the translator would need to go back to the consulate for notarization and have the Thai translation translated back into English, to make sure all was proper! :D In fact, the consulate states that "only the English declaration must be notarized". "Notarized" is a fancy term lawyers use to make themselves more interesting. It really means signed and stamped by an official person. In any case, I hope this helps others. I have been quoted a 1600 B. fee to have the whole process done from CM: translation to certification at the Ministry. Thsi was the fee given by the top company listed on the consulate form. I cannot remember if we can name companies or not. Is there anyone who has some experience or more info about this process?

On the consulate form, it is indicated that one can mail the forms for a fee by way of Laksi Post Office. I would not be surprised if that is what the translation offices did, but I could be wrong there. In any case, 200 B +, say, max. 300 B. translation + some post office expenses make good business, especially considering that the form really contains 100 words, most of them really easy words to be translated. Maybe they make a 1000 B profit on this? Am I right or am I missing something? Ok! 1000 B. minus the small extra fee at the ministry perhaps! Wink! Wink! :):D Especially if they have the exact form already translated and all is needed is to fill in the blank. Ok! OK! Initially they had to translate! Jeesh! I think I am going to open a company! :D

BTW, I suspect that the fee is only 200 B.: certification of the signature, since this is what the consulate indicates is necessary!

Finally, beware that the list of translation offices given on the form was pathetically out-of-date. While it is nice that the consul gives us such a list, it would be helpful if they kept it up to date or just not give any (false) lead. On the other hand, the "2004" at the bottom of the form should have been a clue! :D

I hope this to be helpful. Any questions? Comments?

Edited by rethaired

That is what the MFA charge for the certification.

I think the cheapest translation serviece I have seen charges about 400 bant per page.

A quote ot 1600 baht does not sound that unreasonable to me. How many pages are being translated?

That is what the MFA charge for the certification.

I think the cheapest translation serviece I have seen charges about 400 bant per page.

A quote ot 1600 baht does not sound that unreasonable to me. How many pages are being translated?

One page.

100 words.

400 B. a page might be reasonable based on what there is on that page. The affidavit in question has about 100 words and 90 % of them known by a 5th grader. :) "I", "bearer of Canadian passport no.", "issued at" "on". "was born" "in", "and my address is". That's just a small sample. If this was some complicated scientific or engineering doc., I could understand.

The MFA charges 200 B. for the first 100 W. This is still a rip-off, but more in-line with what I have heard is the going rate.

I have done translation and can tell you that, for Thailand, 400 B. for this kind of document is excessive, considering that they probably (if they are smart, which is not a given, however) have a digital version in which they can put the variable personal info in. All told a good typist should be able to do this in 5 min., which is 4000 B + an hour!

So, 1600 B. seems a bit of a rip-off, considering the above. Of course, it is not a rip-off if you have the overhead and costs of living of the Western world, but we are not in the West, last time I checked.

:D

Edited by rethaired