Where Do You Find Big & Tall Clothing Sizes?

buzzer

Hi,

Has anyone found a shop with a good and broad selection of extra large size clothes?

I've lived in Thailand for over 5 years, mostly in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Ko Samui.

I've never found a shop that caters to large men (or women, for that matter) - and I'm large - but not as large as some. I fit comfortably into XXL shirt (but not a Thai XXL size which is a little smaller than XL elsewhere) and size 42 trousers - most places stop at 38.

I've stopped in literally hundreds of shops over the years asking if they have anything in "yai mak mak" sizes. Rarely - very rarely, they're able to come up with something. If they have anything it is usually only one or two shirts or pants. Even rarer are short pants. I've never found underwear or swim trunks in my size anywhere.

I've resorted to tailor-made blue jeans and other pants, and shirts, but they're always a disappointment. I never considered tailor-made underwear as I know they would already come out pre-ruined.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Buzzer

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Buzzer

I live in Isan, and find clothes at the weekly markets all the time. Like you, I'm a 42 waist, 103 kg. Ok, they're mostly knock-offs of name brands, but they fit and they're quite inexpensive.

The one thing I can't find motorcycle leathers that fit a large farange. Can anyone help with that? TIA

The Export shops at the malls and the XL shops at the malls ....

I have slacks and dress shirts made (higher quality and cheaper than Robinson's etc.

But there are clothes in most market areas and in BKK in the Pratunam area as well!

Hi,

I should have entitled this "Where do you find big and tall clothing sizes - ESPECIALLY underwear.

I live in Samui, but am presently in BKK for a couple more days.

jdinasia said "in the export shops and XL shops in the malls. And in the Pratunam area as well. I see that Pratunam is close to the place I mentioned a little further down the page, so I'll check it out. I went to the XL shop in Pattaya in the mall close to Lotus, and was really disappointed as they sound like they specialize in large sizes, but don't. I found a few things there, some huge, but generally they don't have much. The Export Shops? I don't know what you mean by this. Just never saw anything that I would immediately identify as an export shop. Forgive my ignorance, but, what do you mean?

In Samui you can buy some pricey "Jeep" brand blue jeans, but I don't like the fit.

I've found some used Levi's that were just right - and cheap - in Chinatown.

I found a place that sells some cheap Aloha shirts in a place with a lot of clothes sellers - sorry, I don't remember the name of the building - but it is just a couple hundred meters East of Pantip, by the foot bridge (2nd floor, I believe). But I lived in Hawaii for years, and am pretty picky when it comes to Aloha shirts. Still, I loaded up on some there - they have rather long shorts in the same aloha patterns in big sizes too.

But underwear! That's another story! I've bought some stretchy XL Jockey's in Robinson's (40-42) I was desperate so I bought several pair - but they make my voice an octave higher. I took them back to Samui, and ants ate them! (or at least put a lot of holes in them). Several years ago, I started buying underwear 1 size larger than my pants size - much more comfortable for me, so I like size 44 in underwear. I found another that were almost right "Connexions" in Emporium, but I bought the last large pair they had - and would have preferred an even larger size.

I've had stuff sent from Amerika a couple times, but the stuff that arrived wasn't as good as if I picked it myself - and with shipping and all it's an expensive way to go.

I wonder what the Thai's do? Many of them are getting pretty fat on our SAD (Standard American Diet) food, like MacD's and KFC. Perhaps some of them are speaking an octave higher too!

Thanks again,

Buzzer

:o I only wear 36's but I have my sis or mom ship me boxer briefs :D

Have you asked any Thai guys that are about your waist size where they get them?

edit --- export shops are in the malls that is the name "Export Shop"

You just missed the annual ST Sale on the edge of Samut Prakhan .. they had plenty of shirts and pants in big boy sizes

Edited by jdinasia

:o I only wear 36's but I have my sis or mom ship me boxer briefs :D

Shame on you for even posting here - you're too skinny:)

Lucky you to have someone send you stuff. I've tried to enlist several friends over the years, but they make it clear it's a burden, so I never ask twice. Nothing like family. I got some Hanes Boxer Briefs - about 10 pairs - a few years ago from a dishonest eBay seller. Everything was advertised as new, but were factory rejects.

Have you asked any Thai guys that are about your waist size where they get them?

I asked a couple guys but when they replied an octave higher, I knew they hadn't found the answer. Just kidding - If I ever meet someone xxl that's Thai, I'll try to figure out what to ask.

Thanks for the further info about the Export Shops - it's worth checking out. (But I always hate it when someone tells me I just missed a sale:)

A man had these horrible, debilitating headaches daily for years. After seeing many doctors one said, "There's only one thing we can do... castrate you. That will solve your problem for sure." The man was unwilling to undergo such a radical treatment, but the headaches continued ruining his life, and after several months, went for the castration.

He was free for the first time in years! Enjoying his new-found freedom, he went shopping for new clothes. In the underwear department the salesman asked his size, the man replied 36. The salesman said, "Sir, you're at least a 46 - you can't wear underwear that small... It will give you a headache!"

Thanks,

Buzzer

"Has anyone found a shop with a good and broad selection of extra large size clothes?" Was my primary question.

So I guess the final answer is, "No" to the original inquiry, right?

It appears that - from the responses to this post - there is no "one stop shop" where a person could walk into, and walk out with a bag containing all the essential clothing items in the big men's or women's "plus size" category.

Apparently big underwear is nowhere to be found. Anywhere. Period.

Pants, shirts, shorts, swim-wear, and outerwear would have to be found piecemeal. with some stores (but very, very few) having a few items - but nobody having it all, correct?

Too bad! After 5 years searching, I'm going to put this subject to rest. If anyone knows anything different, or has a solution to the problem that I, or the other posters haven't thought of, please post now. Otherwise I'm going to start buying - at a premium price - online, and consider this topic a dead issue.

But thanks for your help!

Buzzer

I don't know of a one stop shop that has everything. I also went through the underwear headache! I tried buying the largest sizes and they were way too small. Then I discovered these export shops. A couple names in Chiang Mai are Der export and 71 export, I would think there are other similar stores in Thailand. I have been able to buy everything including underwear although not all at the same store and the inventory changes so if I don't see something in my size one day it might be there the next. I was able to buy Champion underwear for 80 baht which are very comfortable, they had sewn the wrong label (size) into them and that's why they wound up at the export shop but other than that they are perfect. I bought a couple of different brand names and some of the underwear I bought turned out to be too big. I saw a golf shirt at one the other day, 8XL! Some of the stuff have the tags removed but not all, the most common brands I've seen are Old Navy, The Gap, Columbia, Champion, Wrangler, Patagonia, Pierre Cardin, Levis, Van Heusen, Port Authority.

Just got back from the Kad Suan Kaew shopping mall and I didn't see any underwear put plenty of pants and shorts up to at least size 42. I also saw a nice 4XL Tall Eddie Bauer T shirt. I picked up a few golf shirts for 79baht each. This store has a different "export" name and I can't remember it now, but they all have export in the store name.

Last time i was in MBK in Bangkok, there was a shop there, i think may of been on 5th or 6th floor, catering for giants, everything in there was 40inch waste plus, they sold shirts underware and all clothes for the the larger gent.

• 4 weeks later...
"Has anyone found a shop with a good and broad selection of extra large size clothes?" Was my primary question.

So I guess the final answer is, "No" to the original inquiry, right?

It appears that - from the responses to this post - there is no "one stop shop" where a person could walk into, and walk out with a bag containing all the essential clothing items in the big men's or women's "plus size" category.

Apparently big underwear is nowhere to be found. Anywhere. Period.

Pants, shirts, shorts, swim-wear, and outerwear would have to be found piecemeal. with some stores (but very, very few) having a few items - but nobody having it all, correct?

Too bad! After 5 years searching, I'm going to put this subject to rest. If anyone knows anything different, or has a solution to the problem that I, or the other posters haven't thought of, please post now. Otherwise I'm going to start buying - at a premium price - online, and consider this topic a dead issue.

But thanks for your help!

Buzzer

there is a XXXL shop in lamai beach koh samui. if you go down the road from outback or eldorado restaurent you will find it on your right hand side behind a small parking lot.

I have never noticed "export" shops but will keep an eye out.

I was in Bangkok and happened to see two of these stores at the Ladprao Big C. One was called Export Shop and had the same store design as two of the stores in the malls in Chiang Mai. They did have underwear and some nice shirts but other than that there was nothing that great. I saw some shorts and the price did seem a little steep compared to the stores in CM, I didn't look that close though as I was in a hurry and didn't spend much time in there. The other one was women's clothes and had a different name without export in it.