Working In Hong Kong And Living In Thailand

curious if anyone here happens to work for a hong kong company but lives in thailand, and travels back and forth. if so, what kind of visa are you on and how do you manage it with all the exits and re-entries?

You would need to be on a 12 month extension based on marriage or retirement or being a dependant etc. with a multi re entry permit.

Or a Multi Entry Non Imm Visa, not easy to get in the local area unless you are married to a Thai.

Anyone else?

hmm well i am not old enough for retirement, and not married... and i would be employed by the HK company which has no office in thailand.... maybe a tourist visa would be ok? but i worry as i might have to go back and forth at least once a month.

Which country are you from and how long you want to stay in Thailand every month?

For example, if you are from USA and plan to stay only 2 days in Thailand every month, it would not be an issue to worry about visa, IMO :o

I know a person working in Vietnam and has a wife and son in Thailand and quite often he visits them.

i am american... and i could just fly in and out but now they have that stupid law that you can only do that 3 times in 6 months or something, right?

No, that changed in late November taking away that limitation. You should receive a 30 day visa exempt entry if entering by air and 15 days by a land border entry.

curious if anyone here happens to work for a hong kong company but lives in thailand, and travels back and forth. if so, what kind of visa are you on and how do you manage it with all the exits and re-entries?

I work for a HK based company. I use my Thai passport. Very civilised....

i am american... and i could just fly in and out but now they have that stupid law that you can only do that 3 times in 6 months or something, right?

No, that changed in late November taking away that limitation. You should receive a 30 day visa exempt entry if entering by air and 15 days by a land border entry.

She could do that, but it would have to match her schedule.

My own hospitality consulting company is registered in Hong Kong and I am living in Thailand for more than eight years.

I never worked in Thailand , so I have been stayed here only on tourist visa and visa exemption.

By flying out of Thailand at least twice a month, to visit new sites or organize pre-openings; the new immigration law is giving me a real favor, because it is abolishing 2006 rule, and now no more limit and date calculation. Just a 30 days stamps on each arrival...

oh i didn't realize they abolished the law on date calculation... so you can get as many 30 days on entry as you want now, as long as you are flying in? can someone confirm that i am understanding that correctly?

I work for a HK based company. I use my Thai passport. Very civilised....

:o

oh i didn't realize they abolished the law on date calculation... so you can get as many 30 days on entry as you want now, as long as you are flying in? can someone confirm that i am understanding that correctly?

15 days on arrival by land or sea & 30 days on arrival by air at any international airport.

Anymore limitation, which means back to the same rule regarding visa exemption before October 2006.

This has been confirmed on this thread by ubonjoe & maestro...

• 4 weeks later...

As in commuting back and forth from Thailand? I know a few folks (myself included) who shuttle back and forth. I'm in Thailand once or maximum twice a month. Work just doesn't permit much more than that, and rushing in on a Friday evening and heading back on a Sunday isn't usually worth it.

To work in HK you'll need a work permit. If you head back to Thailand for example twice a month then it's as simple as getting a visa on arrival in Thailand.

...it's as simple as getting a visa on arrival in Thailand.

If you are a national of one of the countries listed on this page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs you do not even need a visa on arrival but can get a visa-exempt entry.

--

Maestro

• 2 weeks later...

My company is registered in Hong Kong and I work mainly in China, but live in Thailand. I use triple entry tourist visas with re entry permit. And then visa exempt entries. And then back to tourist visas.

I get the triple entry visas in Amsterdam, too easy

You need your HK work permit also, do not forget that.

On your first entry to HK, you will probably not have your work permit yet (or it will be waiting for you in HK, but it won't be part of your pp yet), so DO NOT enter HK as an employee of your HK-based company. 1st entry go as a tourist (you're American, so you get 90 days in HK), then after you've picked up your work permit, upon your 2nd entry to HK, you can go in and get your work permit stamped. From then on, (many people don't know this, and maybe for my own good I shouldn't say as I enjoy the no-line at the PR-counter...) you can clear immigration through the "HK Permanent Residents" line...

Then you enter/exit Thailand as you always have, on your US passport for your 30-days (I don't know if you qualify for the Non-Imm-O).

Then after a short 7 years of concurrent work permits in HK, you can qualify for Perm Residence there... you will then have Right of Abode, and all sorts of goodies, including your shiny new HK ID. Then you're in with the big boys/girls :o

Oh, in case you were thinking of going to HK without a work permit... I don't know what insurance you have (health), but when you're in HK under a work permit, you are AUTOMATICALLY qualified to HK health services (another thing most people don't know)... so if anything bad happens, you're covered... and you want that in HK, esp if you don't have international coverage on your policy.