Can Work With Marriage Visa?

Hi guys

Would anyone know if it is possible for me to live and work in Thailand using a marriage visa? Please note I will continue to work for my company back in Malaysia (they have allowed me to work remotely) and pay taxes to the Malaysian government.

If you guys do not know the answer, who may I check this with?

Thanks!!

MD

Hi guys

Would anyone know if it is possible for me to live and work in Thailand using a marriage visa? Please note I will continue to work for my company back in Malaysia (they have allowed me to work remotely) and pay taxes to the Malaysian government.

If you guys do not know the answer, who may I check this with?

Thanks!!

MD

hi, any "non" type visa is allowed to work, that is according to the labour dept. however, u shd still provide them with all the necessary docs to issue a w.permit for you. goodluck!

jhinggay

Your problem is that for working in Thailand you need a work permit. You will only get a work permit when you work for a Thai company, which you don't. Thai labour law just wasn't written with remote working in mind.

Your definition of working in this context is working in an office? I know that immigration sometimes does spot checks at the office to ensure that staff have the appropriate permits.

Also my company receives plenty of visitors from overseas who come for a stint of 1-2 weeks, but they do not require a permit (obviously because they probably have a business visa), but can't I just tell immigration that I'm a visitor from overseas if they visit?

What if I can work from home?

Your problem is that for working in Thailand you need a work permit. You will only get a work permit when you work for a Thai company, which you don't. Thai labour law just wasn't written with remote working in mind.

Your definition of working in this context is working in an office? I know that immigration sometimes does spot checks at the office to ensure that staff have the appropriate permits.

Also my company receives plenty of visitors from overseas who come for a stint of 1-2 weeks, but they do not require a permit (obviously because they probably have a business visa), but can't I just tell immigration that I'm a visitor from overseas if they visit?

What if I can work from home?

No, the Thai law has a very broad definition of labour, which includes volunteer work. Even for that you would need a WP as a foreigner. Your problem is that you work in Thailand, but not for a Thai company.

A lot of people working trough the internet face this problem.

Can you fool them? Sure. I only tell you that it might not be legal.

Can you enlighten me please-what is a marriage visa???? Cheers Stefan

Actualy there is no marriage visa. What is meant is a non-immigrant visa, which are given for several reasons. One of them is being married to a Thai national.

A non-immigrant visa based on marriage to a Thai can be extended in Thailand for 1 year a time if you can show an income of 40,000 naht a month or if you have savings of 400,000 baht in a Thai bankaccount for at least 2 months prior to applying for the extension.

"hi, any "non" type visa is allowed to work..."

It would be nice if that was true, but it isn't.

"...u shd still provide them with all the necessary docs to issue a w.permit for you."

You make that sound like an elective. It's not, it's a requirement to work legally. Change shd (should) to 'must'.