Similans Tourists See Boat People Mistreated

saneroad

Yes, the officer denied it so obviously it will NEVER happen again.

By IT I mean farangs will never be witnesses again.

This is what will happen (already happening) by Thai authorities/military: Deny, deny, deny. If that doesn't work well enough, then twist another story, like ,"we're detaining them and they're being fed and cared for."

What will really happen is: THE MILITARY THUGS WILL MAKE SURE NO ONE IS AROUND TO TAKE PHOTOS OR EXPOSE THE MISDEEDS.

I definitely do not think the illegal immigrants should be chained or hurt but I also don't think Thailand has the money to give these people enough food and water to get back where they came from. Nor to house and care for them in Thailand. If Thailand did don't you think they would give it to the people in Issaan first? I feel sorry for these people but I also don't know how much responsibility Thailand can take for them.

I don't think anyone is saying they should be embraced by Thailand. If they were, they should be treated like the other types of refugees here - who are given passably decent conditions by western organizations (UN, NGO's, governments, philanthropists, etc). It's doubtful they'd get basic survival funds from Thai, whether rich people or gov't. Plus, some western countries offer immigration options to particular refugees. Thailand doesn't, except to Chinese (by default) - who can gain full Thai citizenship in less than 9 years of arriving here.

Outside of that, the Thai military could detain them in decent conditions until their own country reps take them back. Of course, for those Burmese, that's not viable, as their government hates them - but for refugees from other regions, that might work. Another option (if refugee vessels are seaworthy) is for the Thai navy to give them basic food and some fuel, and tow them out to the coast of their respective countries.

There are several options better than delayed killings - which is the current policy.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the officer denied it so obviously it will NEVER happen again.

By IT I mean farangs will never be witnesses again.

This is what will happen (already happening) by Thai authorities/military: Deny, deny, deny. If that doesn't work well enough, then twist another story, like ,"we're detaining them and they're being fed and cared for."

What will really happen is: THE MILITARY THUGS WILL MAKE SURE NO ONE IS AROUND TO TAKE PHOTOS OR EXPOSE THE MISDEEDS.

I definitely do not think the illegal immigrants should be chained or hurt but I also don't think Thailand has the money to give these people enough food and water to get back where they came from. Nor to house and care for them in Thailand. If Thailand did don't you think they would give it to the people in Issaan first? I feel sorry for these people but I also don't know how much responsibility Thailand can take for them.

I don't think anyone is saying they should be embraced by Thailand. If they were, they should be treated like the other types of refugees here - who are given passably decent conditions by western organizations (UN, NGO's, governments, philanthropists, etc). It's doubtful they'd get basic survival funds from Thai, whether rich people or gov't. Plus, some western countries offer immigration options to particular refugees. Thailand doesn't, except to Chinese (by default) - who can gain full Thai citizenship in less than 9 years of arriving here.

Outside of that, the Thai military could detain them in decent conditions until their own country reps take them back. Of course, for those Burmese, that's not viable, as their government hates them - but for refugees from other regions, that might work. Another option (if refugee vessels are seaworthy) is for the Thai navy to give them basic food and some fuel, and tow them out to the coast of their respective countries.

There are several options better than delayed killings - which is the current policy.

Actually someone is making sure that these pictures are reaching the international press. Third day in a row that Thailand is making the front page of the SCMP, Hong Kong major paper, and for all the wrong reasons.

And the timing, just before the Chines New year holiday, a coincidence? I don't know how much Chinese tourists (and foreigners working in greater China) are worth for Thailand tourist industry but it's sure they won't help filling the hotels this year.

As refugees these people need to afforded a decent level of care. The UNHCR will be more than willing to step in and assist in screening/resettling or repatriating them if necessary. It's not comparable to the situation mentioned in a previous post about Australia. When ships pick up refugees, the country of first/closest port is where they are to go. I believe in this case, Australia was not the first country--possibly Indonesia.

The idea of detention and harsh treatment is not new and probably not the correct approach, but the primary obligation is protection of your own country followed by the protection of the refugees. In this case, Thailand is simply seriously mistreating one group and it's unlikely to be to the benfit of the other.

I seriously hope they do some soul searching at the upper levels of gov't and society, but I highly doubt it.

Rohingya news may discredit nation

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 19/01/2009 at 11:16 AM

He believed officials can find the truth in this case, and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva told the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to explain it to the international community.

The uninitiated might scratch their heads and say- why, if the truth would give Thailand a black eye- would Abhisit be raring at the bit to have that 'truth' explained to the foreign community. Even before a commision of inquiry has been established-

Could it just possibly be that Abhisit knows the truth already- being that the foreign reports will be found to be -misleading. So let's prepare to get the 'truth' out.

If Abhisit is considering the possibility that the 'truth' might put Thailand in a very bad light (maybe even so bad that Thaksin can't be held solely accountable) - wouldn't the least of his concerns be getting that information out to the foreign community?

Could it just possibly be that Abhisit knows the truth already-

Sorry but I can't help, everytime I think of Abhisit, this song of Cat Stevens pop up in my head

Oh baby baby it's a wild world,

it's hard to get by just upon a smile.

I'm afraid the poor guy doesn't have the slightest idea of what's really going on.

If Abhisit is considering the possibility that the 'truth' might put Thailand in a very bad light (maybe even so bad that Thaksin can't be held solely accountable) - wouldn't the least of his concerns be getting that information out to the foreign community?

I have explained before, this is the work of THAKSIN, and THAKSIN alone. Mark & PAD are peaceful people. Such act can only be ordered by THE animal.

It is not reasonable to expect a new PM could have stopped this from happening. I doubt the Thai military phones the PM ever time they find some illegals. It is reasonable to expect a new PM to do something about it. I don't have high hopes that any action will be taken to investigate the incidents and punish the offenders if they are guilty, or change the policy so this stops happening. Sad really. What is needed is INTERNATIONAL PRESSURE.

*It seems he is. It's a helluva change from the Thaksin days... meeting with human rights advocates... unheard of during his regime*

Abhisit vows refugee cruelty answers

Claims the navy has ill-treated Rohingya boat people will be raised in talks on Monday between PM Abhisit and human rights advocates. "I will meet human rights officials to talk about everything including violations of human rights and a few current incidents which have been reported," Mr Abhisit said. He said this would include the Rohingyas. Human rights groups have accused the Thai navy of forcing Burmese Muslim boat people back into the Andaman Sea with little food and water. Survivors have told human rights groups they were abandoned in open waters with their hands bound. Director of the Research Centre for Peace Building at Mahidol University Gothom Arya, who will join the meeting today, urged the PM to take disciplinary action against anyone found to have mistreated the boat people.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/9...-cruelty-claims

*Abhisit achieves within a month what Thaksin never did in six years... to meet and discuss human rights*

30093630-01.jpg

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva meets representatives of human rights organisations on Monday at the Government House.

The Nation

PM vows to act on rights issues

A group of 10 prominent human rights defenders met Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday to discuss the human-rights situation and air their concerns on various issues.

The group, led by human-rights lawyer Somchai Hom-laor, and Gothom Arya, director of the Peace Studies Institute at Mahidol University, spent two hours with the premier. They urged the government to exercise utmost restraint in dealing with the separatist problem in the three southern-most provinces, saying a heavy-handed approach would only lead to human rights violations.

Somchai told the media after the meeting that Abhisit had shown special interest in the Amnesty International Report on torture in Thailand and had told the group he would curb the use of special laws in the deep South.

Various issues of human rights violations over the past five years were brought to the attention of the PM, including the war on drugs during the Thaksin Shinawatra administration, which led to some 2,500 deaths.

The issue of missing human rights lawyer Somchai Neelapaijit was also discussed along with the alleged ill-treatment by the Navy of boat refugees from Burma, who were reportedly bundled up and sent back into the sea without food and water.

The PM said he would follow up on the matter, said Somchai. The group later expressed support for the Abhisit government to work with "patience" to prevent more human rights violations in the future.

Regarding the October 7 bloody clashes between police and the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) demonstrators, Somchai said the PM told them the matter was sensitive and officials were looking into the matter in detail.

Somchai was asked by a reporter about the airports closure by the PAD. He said the group did not really discuss the matter in detail with the PM.

- The Nation / 2009-01-20

The Navy chief added that the illegal migrations of the Rohingyas have affected the nation's security, as they lead to social and public health problems."

[ http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1011708 ]

To save the life of 60 million Thai woman and children, it would be better to kill a few hundreds drifters. What if these people carry deadly virus that spread like flu that wipe out all 60 million Thai woman and children. Prevention is better than cure.

Any army who loves their country will do that without a second thought.

You talk like a Nazi. How about a medical screening instead?

Isn't it not that a few sailors from Spain almost killed the whole Tahiti islanders due to new diesease?

Also, it is not possible, with the small boats they used, to travel from their country to Thailand. They are trying to join insurgents in the restive southern region, or wanted a Patani Republic. Hence these people must not be allowed to land, AT ALL COST.

Samgrowth, I have read many disgusting things written on TV over time, but your comment I think is about the worst. If you are Thai it's understandable in as much as there have been too many occurrences of similar kinds of things to make me feel it's part of "Thai culture" and not isolated cases such as Hmong, Karen, Tak Bai, Krue Se, 3,000 "drug dealers", police putting slugs in inocent tourists heads etc etc. If you are a westener you have no excuse. Either way, shame on you.

Rohingya news may discredit nation

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 19/01/2009 at 11:16 AM

The news about the alleged ill-treatment of Rohingya boat people by the navy could aim at discrediting Thailand, Deputy Prime Minister overseeing national security Suthep Thaugsuban said on Monday.

Mr Suthep said he assigned Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan to look into the news about the Rohingya cruelty claims.

According to the deputy premier, Thai officials would not mistreat the Burmese Muslim boat people because Thai officials have always been generous to illegal immigrants, adding that such news may attempt to damage the country's reputation.

He believed officials can find the truth in this case, and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva told the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to explain it to the international community.

" May damage the reputation.."

Ha! Get in line, this nation is already a travesty on every facet of humanity. Look at the Burmese slaves in Phuket , walled in at night , no phones.

Disgusting , just un f'ing believable

Didn't the erstwhile editor of Gazette hi -tail it out of here as he'd uncovered authority subsidized child labor coming in from Burma?

I have explained before, this is the work of THAKSIN, and THAKSIN alone. Mark & PAD are peaceful people. Such act can only be ordered by THE animal.

Odd, I thought it was the work of the Navy...

The Navy chief added that the illegal migrations of the Rohingyas have affected the nation's security, as they lead to social and public health problems."

[ http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1011708 ]

To save the life of 60 million Thai woman and children, it would be better to kill a few hundreds drifters. What if these people carry deadly virus that spread like flu that wipe out all 60 million Thai woman and children. Prevention is better than cure.

Any army who loves their country will do that without a second thought.

You talk like a Nazi. How about a medical screening instead?

Isn't it not that a few sailors from Spain almost killed the whole Tahiti islanders due to new diesease?

Also, it is not possible, with the small boats they used, to travel from their country to Thailand. They are trying to join insurgents in the restive southern region, or wanted a Patani Republic. Hence these people must not be allowed to land, AT ALL COST.

Samgrowth, I have read many disgusting things written on TV over time, but your comment I think is about the worst. If you are Thai it's understandable in as much as there have been too many occurrences of similar kinds of things to make me feel it's part of "Thai culture" and not isolated cases such as Hmong, Karen, Tak Bai, Krue Se, 3,000 "drug dealers", police putting slugs in inocent tourists heads etc etc. If you are a westener you have no excuse. Either way, shame on you.

You'll soon find out that he tries to be funny by writing the opposite of what he thinks, just to stir up trouble.

Are they refugees? Are they economic migrants? Are they terrorists?

Unless they are detained and properly screened, nobody will know. There were no weapons aboard (reported), no explosives, no indication that they were well trained or well educated enough to undermine the national security of the country.

But whatever they are, they do not deserve death or mistreatment at the hands of their 'rescuers'.

The gov't is now saying the tourists 'misunderstood'. It's a land of smoke and mirrors. Illusion and reality reversed.

Very sad, and I hope it gets the international attention it deserves. These are people--good or bad--they are still people.

ROHINGYA

UN asks Thailand for access to Rohingya boat people

By Deutsche Presse Agentur

Bangkok - Amid reports that the Thai navy forced hundreds of Rohingya boat people out to sea last month, leaving up to 500 missing, the United Nations on Tuesday asked the government for access to 126 surviving boat people now in Thai custody.

"We have asked the Thai government for access to two groups totalling 126 Rohingya boat people who are in custody in southern Thailand in order to assess their situation and determine whether any of them are in need of international protection," said a statement issued by United Nations High commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

Last week the UNHCR expressed strong concern over allegations that the Thai navy towed hundreds of Rohingya boat people out to sea and left them to die. Rohingyas are a Muslim minority group from Myanmar's Arakan State who have been denied citizenship by the ruling junta.

The Thai navy on December 18 and 30 pushed out to sea at least 992 Rohingya boat people in boats without engines or sufficient supplies reports based on survivors' testimonies said. An estimated 400 to 500 of the boat people are believed missing and feared drowned.

The UNHCR has been informed that 126 Rohingya are being held in Thai military custody after being rescued in Thai waters.

Their testimony would be crucial for determining what happened last month, which is now the subject of an army investigation. Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva requested the investigation in to the Rohingya push-back case after talking to human rights groups at a meeting Monday at which the issue was raised.

Thai Army Commander-in-Chief General Anupong Paochinda, while confirming Tuesday that the military will conduct the investigation, at the same time said he was confident no abuses had been committed against the Rohingya.

The Arakan Project, a non-governmental organisation that monitors treatment of the Rohingyas, has provided evidence that the Thai Navy pushed some 992 Rohingyas in engineless boats back onto the high seas from southern Thailand.

Chris Lewa, coordinator of the Arakan Project, said there may have been more push-backs that she was unaware of. "If some of the people hadn't survived we would never have known about these cases," said Lewa.

News that the Thai military was pushing Rohingya refugees out to sea came to light last month when the Indian Navy on December 18 rescued 107 people from a boat who claimed that they had been put to sea in the engineless craft by the Thai Navy and set adrift.

According to the survivors, about 300 of the 412 refugees had drowned when they jumped overboard to try to swim to shore.

Another group of 580 Rohingyas was allegedly shoved back to sea on December 30 in five boats after the engines were removed, said Lewa.

Of this group, some 193 were rescued near Indonesia's Sabang Island in Aceh province on January 7 and an another boat with 150 onboard was rescued off Tillanchang Island, India, on January 10.

On January 6, another 81 Rohingyas were rescued by Thai fishermen, and have since been put under Thai military custody again, said Lewa.

The Arakan Project was still checking whether this group was part of the 580 pushed back on December 30.

There are still between 400 to 500 of the refugees unaccounted for, she said.

The Thai miliary has denied the accusations, although officials acknowledge that they see the Myanmar-Muslims as a security threat, suspecting them of coming to Thailand to join Thai-Muslim insurgents in southern Thailand's Pattani area.

"Definitely the reason for this is national security," said Lewa, speculating on the Thai military's drastic measures.

Lewa, who has worked with the Rohingya for years, said she was convinced the majority had landed in Thailand en route to Malaysia, where they can look for employment, paying brokers about 1,000 dollars for the passage.

The Rohingyas, numbering about 750,000 in Arakan, are stateless people, having been denied citizenship in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Lewa called for Thailand to find a regional solution to the new wave of boat people.

"It's a regional issue," said Lewa. "Thailand cannot solve it alone, but should collaborate with the counties concerned and international agencies to find a solution to this problem."

The UN agrees.

"Because the plight of the Rohingyas is a regional problem, UNHCR is urgently seeking to discuss with the Thai government ways that all concerned countries can address the root causes that impel the Rohingya to put their lives at risk on such perilous journeys," said the UNHCR statement.

Edited by medegen

Are they refugees? Are they economic migrants? Are they terrorists?

Nobody know, as there are probably dead by now. So sad. We should start treating people like people. Not to leave anyone to die, worst, a slow death. People, no matter how poor or sick requires respect.

There was a report on Thai TV last night about this, there was nothing about the HR issues or foriegn criticism. They were saying the ppl were 'economic migrants' looking for work selling rotis and as money lenders. Didn't look like they had much money to lend!

There was a report on Thai TV last night about this, there was nothing about the HR issues or foriegn criticism. They were saying the ppl were 'economic migrants' looking for work selling rotis and as money lenders. Didn't look like they had much money to lend!

And the fact of the matter is of course that the Navy's action in this case has the support of the people...

And the fact of the matter is of course that the Navy's action in this case has the support of the people...

No wonder with the BS that they're fed.

Thailand refuses UN access to Burma boat people

Posted 36 minutes ago

Thailand's Prime Minister has refused to grant UN experts access to 126 boat people from Burma, following allegations that the Thai army had left them to die on the open seas.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva dodged reporters' questions on a request from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to visit the group, and urged them instead to work with Thai authorities.

"The agency should come and talk to us about how to work together," Mr Abhisit said.

"Our work together should be based on cooperation and appropriate rules.

"They [the UN] should understand that every country has this problem [of refugees]," he said

The UNHCR earlier announced it had asked the Thai Government for access to the refugees to assess their needs.

Spokesman Ron Redmond said 80 of the migrants were being held on Koh Sai Daeng Island off the Thai coast in the Andaman Sea.

Another 46 have been handed over to Thai military authorities with no further information on their current location, he said.

Survivors and a human rights group have accused the Thai army and navy of detaining and beating up to 1,000 members of the Rohingya minority from Burma late last year, before towing them out to sea with little food and water.

Nearly 650 of the Muslim Rohingya have been rescued in waters off India and Indonesia.

Some of them told officials that they had been beaten in Thailand before being set adrift in barges with no engines or navigational equipment.

The spokesman for Thailand's state security body, Colonel Thanatip Sawangsaeng, said the case was being investigated.

Mr Abhisit said he had requested further photo evidence and information from the navy on Thailand's routine treatment of illegal immigrants.

- AFP

From ABC Australia here.

Edit to update the link

Edited by Chang_paarp

This situation requires the attention of the UNHCR and the cooperation of the Thai gov't. It also requires the careful attention of the international community. Until the people have been properly screened, no one will know if they are true refugees or economic migrants. It is also about time that Thailand begin to realize that they have been aiding and abetting a very ruthless regime that has little concern for it's own people and even less for this group-whom they don't consider to be one of them.

Thailand's 'kindness' to Burma may just come around to bite them in the a*ss.

Hopefully, these people can be treated in a reasonably humane manner rather like human footballs.

Thailand refuses UN access to Burma boat people

Mr Abhisit said he had requested further photo evidence and information from the navy on Thailand's routine treatment of illegal immigrants.

- AFP

I cannot believe that Mark is buying time by requesting further photo evidence. Even I can get hundreds, by just simply google it. The immigrants are human too. Leaving them to die is an act of men slaughter. Mark should consider letting the immigrant land, and hand them to UN. This is not too difficult isn't it.

The Nevay have been caught red handed with hundreds of photographic proof and first hand account; and they still do not admit it. I just cannot believe why the think that these people do not worth living.

Thailand 'happy to cooperate', but Army plays dumb on detainees

Thailand would cooperate with the United Nations on the controversial Rohingya boat people but only on the governฌment's conditions, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday.

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has sought access to 126 Rohingya boat people believed to be held on Sai Daeng Island in the Andaman Sea.

However, the military told the Foreign Ministry yesterday it had "no clear information" about refugees in its custody that the UN wants to talk to.

Prime Minister Abhisit said: "We are glad to work with interฌnational organisations and conฌcerned countries but they must understand that the problem does not begin here."

The UN refugee agency had the right to inquire over possiฌble rights violations but it must work on cooperative basis with proper procedures set by the Thai government, he said.

Foreign Ministry deputy spokesman Thani Thongpakdi said the UNHCR had yet to subฌmit an official request for access to the Rohingya.

The previous request from the UNHCR asked only generฌal information about the boat people incident, he said.

The Navy has been accused of pushing nearly 1,000 Burmese Rohingya boat people back to sea since December. Many survived and were resฌcued in India and Indonesia, but up to 500 may be missing.

The Navy has denied the allegation, made by survivors and a group that supports the Rohingya. The Navy says its personnel did not violate the boat people's rights.

But Rohingya boat people told Indian Coast Guards and international media they were forced to get on small boats whose engines were removed, towed to sea and abandoned. They received little food and water and some were beaten for resistance.

About 500 are missing. But an unconfirmed report suggests 80 may have been rescued and rearrested by Thai officials. They were allegedly taken back to Koh Sai Daeng.

The UN said earlier another group of 46 Rohingya people, who were intercepted in a boat last Friday, were handed over to the military.

Despite a meeting with security agencies yesterday, Foreign Ministry deputy spokesman Thani said they had "no clear information" about the 126 Rohingya boat people in miliฌtary custody. And the "status" of Sai Daeng Island remained unclear as to whether it was a holding centre for illegal migrants, he said.

Source: The Nation - 22 January 2009

ROHINGYA

UN asks Thailand for access to Rohingya boat people

By Deutsche Presse Agentur

Bangkok - Amid reports that the Thai navy forced hundreds of Rohingya boat people out to sea last month, leaving up to 500 missing, the United Nations on Tuesday asked the government for access to 126 surviving boat people now in Thai custody.

"We have asked the Thai government for access to two groups totalling 126 Rohingya boat people who are in custody in southern Thailand in order to assess their situation and determine whether any of them are in need of international protection," said a statement issued by United Nations High commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

Last week the UNHCR expressed strong concern over allegations that the Thai navy towed hundreds of Rohingya boat people out to sea and left them to die. Rohingyas are a Muslim minority group from Myanmar's Arakan State who have been denied citizenship by the ruling junta.

The Thai navy on December 18 and 30 pushed out to sea at least 992 Rohingya boat people in boats without engines or sufficient supplies reports based on survivors' testimonies said. An estimated 400 to 500 of the boat people are believed missing and feared drowned.

The UNHCR has been informed that 126 Rohingya are being held in Thai military custody after being rescued in Thai waters.

Their testimony would be crucial for determining what happened last month, which is now the subject of an army investigation. Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva requested the investigation in to the Rohingya push-back case after talking to human rights groups at a meeting Monday at which the issue was raised.

Thai Army Commander-in-Chief General Anupong Paochinda, while confirming Tuesday that the military will conduct the investigation, at the same time said he was confident no abuses had been committed against the Rohingya.

The Arakan Project, a non-governmental organisation that monitors treatment of the Rohingyas, has provided evidence that the Thai Navy pushed some 992 Rohingyas in engineless boats back onto the high seas from southern Thailand.

Chris Lewa, coordinator of the Arakan Project, said there may have been more push-backs that she was unaware of. "If some of the people hadn't survived we would never have known about these cases," said Lewa.

News that the Thai military was pushing Rohingya refugees out to sea came to light last month when the Indian Navy on December 18 rescued 107 people from a boat who claimed that they had been put to sea in the engineless craft by the Thai Navy and set adrift.

According to the survivors, about 300 of the 412 refugees had drowned when they jumped overboard to try to swim to shore.

Another group of 580 Rohingyas was allegedly shoved back to sea on December 30 in five boats after the engines were removed, said Lewa.

Of this group, some 193 were rescued near Indonesia's Sabang Island in Aceh province on January 7 and an another boat with 150 onboard was rescued off Tillanchang Island, India, on January 10.

On January 6, another 81 Rohingyas were rescued by Thai fishermen, and have since been put under Thai military custody again, said Lewa.

The Arakan Project was still checking whether this group was part of the 580 pushed back on December 30.

There are still between 400 to 500 of the refugees unaccounted for, she said.

The Thai miliary has denied the accusations, although officials acknowledge that they see the Myanmar-Muslims as a security threat, suspecting them of coming to Thailand to join Thai-Muslim insurgents in southern Thailand's Pattani area.

"Definitely the reason for this is national security," said Lewa, speculating on the Thai military's drastic measures.

Lewa, who has worked with the Rohingya for years, said she was convinced the majority had landed in Thailand en route to Malaysia, where they can look for employment, paying brokers about 1,000 dollars for the passage.

The Rohingyas, numbering about 750,000 in Arakan, are stateless people, having been denied citizenship in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Lewa called for Thailand to find a regional solution to the new wave of boat people.

"It's a regional issue," said Lewa. "Thailand cannot solve it alone, but should collaborate with the counties concerned and international agencies to find a solution to this problem."

The UN agrees.

"Because the plight of the Rohingyas is a regional problem, UNHCR is urgently seeking to discuss with the Thai government ways that all concerned countries can address the root causes that impel the Rohingya to put their lives at risk on such perilous journeys," said the UNHCR statement.

Well, this article shed some light on what is going on, the "Aracan Project" may just use this to make a point for the Rohingyia's situation and get the UN involved to have a larger public audience, to force things to happen!

To raise public awareness!

Bangla Desh doesn't want them, Mayanmar neither, both deny them citizenship - why not apply some pressure to these Governments to act and clear the "human rights situation" with them, NOT with Thailand as these People are neither refugees or natives!

So, and it is known that they are on their way to Malaysia, that there are agents involved and head money 1000 US$ why nobody cries "foul"! ?

Looks like Thailand has been dragged into this, it's wealthier, it is (little) more civilized, just got a new government, which is sitting on very thins ice, chances that they will be heard are good, what would those chances have been with the last 3 Governments?

If the destinatin was Malaysia,why this story didn't surface in Malaysia, because it has a very rigid regime and strict judicary?

I wonder!

Isn't it human trafficking?

Regarding "health thread" to the thai population: Sure they could be carriers of Tuberculosis or other diseases.

So sit tight and wait what the "investigation" Abbhisit and Anupong have promised, will bring

Edited by Samuian

Today's article in South China Morning Post....

Army admits funding round-up of refugees

Thai colonel says boatpeople sent back to sea to help them

Greg Torode Chief Asia correspondent in Ranong, Thailand

A colonel in the Thai army has confirmed its involvement in a programme to round up boatpeople from Myanmar and Bangladesh and send them back out to sea, saying it was done to "protect Thailand from harm" - and to help the refugees.

Colonel Sangob Naktanom, deputy commander of the Ranong regional command on the Andaman coast, said the army had been funding the programme, under which village chiefs were trained to "gather together" boatpeople on suitable land.

He did not concede they were being held against their will. However, a photograph obtained yesterday by the South China Morning Post (SEHK: 0583, announcements, news) showed a group of men in Muslim garb being detained behind barbed wire on an island - identifiable from rock formations as Koh Sai Daeng.

(Full story at SCMP.com - subscription only)

January 21, Agence France PresseThailand refuses to grant access to Myanmar boat people

Thailand's prime minister Wednesday refused to grant UN experts access to126 boat people from Myanmar, following allegations that the Thai army hadleft them to die on the open seas.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva dodged reporters' questions on a requestfrom the United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) to visit the group, andurged it instead to work with Thai authorities.

"The agency should come and talk to us about how to work together. Ourwork together should be based on cooperation and appropriate rules,"Abhisit told reporters.

"They (the UN) should understand that every country has this problem (ofrefugees)," he said, adding that he wanted to discuss the matter withMyanmar.

Late Tuesday, the UNHCR announced it had asked the Thai government foraccess to the refugees to assess their needs.

Spokesman Ron Redmond said 80 of the migrants were being held on Koh SaiDaeng island off the Thai coast in the Andaman Sea.

Another 46 have been handed over to the Thai military authorities with nofurther information on their current location, he said.

Thailand's foreign ministry on Wednesday said it spoke with UNHCRfrequently and may arrange a meeting with agency officials to discuss thematter further.

Survivors and a human rights group have accused the Thai army and navy ofdetaining and beating up to 1,000 members of the Rohingya minority fromMyanmar late last year, before towing them out to sea with little food andwater.

Nearly 650 of the Muslim Rohingya have been rescued in waters off Indiaand Indonesia.

Some of them told officials that they had been beaten in Thailand beforebeing set adrift in barges with no engines or navigational equipment.

The spokesman for Thailand's state security body, Colonel ThanatipSawangsaeng, said Tuesday the case was being investigated.

He added that the army chief had said that the military "followedinternational standards and adhered to humanitarian principles."

Abhisit said he had requested further photo evidence and information fromthe navy on Thailand's routine treatment of illegal immigrants.

Foreign ministry permanent secretary Virasakdi Futrakul said neighbouringcountries would be invited to a joint discussion on the Rohingya,describing them as a "regional problem".

"The ministry will invite ambassadors from Myanmar, India, Bangladesh andother countries who also have a problem with the Rohingya to discuss theproblem and what kind of measures they use," Virasakdi told AFP.

"The Rohingya people are not only one country's problem but a problem forthe whole region."

--------------------------------------

i expected more from mark. very sad :o .

So, first they didn't do it and the people who saw it done must have 'misunderstood'; then they did do it, but only to protect the health of Thai people. Then they didn't have any in detention, and now they do.

The credibility scale, I would say the Thai gov't and the Thai navy are ranking lower than whale poop.

So, first they didn't do it and the people who saw it done must have 'misunderstood'; then they did do it, but only to protect the health of Thai people. Then they didn't have any in detention, and now they do.

The credibility scale, I would say the Thai gov't and the Thai navy are ranking lower than whale poop.

How sad. How could the Thai Vaby do such as evil thing.

Will the commander be charged for men slaughter?

Or will he/she be awarded an honor for protecting the health of the Thai people? against deadly diease curry by these aliens?

I just hope that man kind will share this earth for the common good.

Edited by DaleBlue

Definitively ! And actually a number of Thais blame foreigners for this problem.

From a real conversation :

Thai colleague :Why Thai people have to take these people? There are illegal immigrants and just come to Thailand to commit crimes.

Me : The point is you can't just send them back without water and supplies, it's basic human rights.

T C : What if they just come to Thailand to get free supplies ?

Me : ???

T C : The problem is the tourists. Why don't they take the refugees instead of taking pictures? That's the solution, every tourist takes a refugee back home, no more problems!

My colleague was quite emotional, one more time foreigners had find an excuse to look down on Thais . His answer, in short, was : it's a foreigners' problem, why you don't solve it yourselves ?

Edited by Pierrot