What Things Will Make You Leave Samui?

i could see the roads being an issue after you leave,while here you put up with them,after you leave you realise how good it is to drive on a good road.

I'm addicted to island life,have always loved the lifestyle.my wife wants to return to isaan,cultivate?breed fish to sell to the markets,grow vegies etc,and am bulking at this whole idea cos i'd miss the cool breezes,swimming everyday,and the night life and company of other westerners,and as much as i like thai food,always feel a need to revert back to some western dining.isaan is ok(would make me learn thai more) but the weather is either hot or cold,and i'd end up living in a small thai village.not saying i'd never do it,but right now samui is just fine.

Samuibeachcomber, I thank you for seeing the point that I was trying to get over in my post. Mark obviously missed it entirely.

I didnt leave because of the roads or the weather....I was commenting on the way I saw the island on returning after having been gone for 9 months.

To further my point about the weather for Marks benefit......I was there for over two weeks in January, which is supposed to be settled weather, and it was overcast for all but two days and also rained exceedingly hard during that time for a number of days which caused the dirt road up the mountain leading to my house to become a soggy marsh.

On any day in Samui the wind can get up and blow in some clouds and the rain falls. Whereas in Isaan it seems to be far more settled. No rain at all and blue skies for a few months and then only after 4pm in the rainy season.

Your next point was accomodation...when I moved to Nong Ki I was paying 1,500 baht per month for a house on its own plot with walls and gate, although I did put in a western toilet while I was there. Can you match that in Koh Samui? I dont think so mate.

When I spoke about the fuel being more I also said that it has a knock on affect so everything you buy costs more. This all adds up to a fair bit over the month, not just the few baht for a litre of fuel.

I have always had my own bikes and car so I wouldnt know how much you pay to rent one but I am talking about being stung by fellow ferangs regarding property and land dealings etc.

As I said none of these things made me move but on returning thay all hit you in the face because you are blind to the faults when you are there. I couldnt wait to get away again.

Anyway just as a postscript....if you like island life so much you can get all the benefits of Samui without all the faults. I went to Koh Chang a few weeks ago for a long weekend and it was really really nice. Its a bigger island than Samui but they are not turning it into a concrete mess, so it is still a tropical paradise.

Really though Mark you have to admit everything said about Samui is fact and if you like living there (as I did before) then thats great but you cant deny the facts.

HL :o

Happylarry, ok, I thought that these were reasons you didn't want to stay in Samui, not just things you disliked on your return.

So set the record straight. What things made you leave Koh Samui?

I respect your views, but seriously, panning the weather, specifically rain? It rained when you didn't think it would, uh, ok. Maybe Issan (I thought you mentioned Korat, not Nongkai) has that weather-control thing from the 1998 Avengers movie?

You said:

On any day in Samui the wind can get up and blow in some clouds and the rain falls.

Of course that is simply hyperbole (I hope).

You go on to mention rent prices, petrol and the "knock on effect" that you think this has on commodities, and then unscrupulous foreigners in the property business. This is all about money. Yes, living in stickville is cheaper than living on a resort island, hands down. All of these, with the exception of buying land, which unless you are a speculator or realtor is a one-time thing, don't really amount to much money in my eyes. The allegation that petrol costs (which have fallen of late) increase the cost of everything else is debatable, but even if it were true, it would not amount to a significant sum over a month. And you can find a decent place (with its own Western toilet already installed) in Samui away from the beach for 6,000 baht or less. It is more expensive than Issan, sure, but a difference of 5,000 baht a month doesn't seem like it would break anyone's financial back.

But forgive me if I presuppose that you aren't on a super-tight budget. It's just that things are so cheap in Thailand -- even in Samui -- by Western standards, that scrimping seems odd.

I do hear that Koh Chang is nice. It's on the list of places to visit one day.

On a tangent, I'm not sure what the allure of Issan could be. As Samuibeachcomber said:

i'd miss the cool breezes,swimming everyday,and the night life and company of other westerners,and as much as i like thai food,always feel a need to revert back to some western dining.isaan is ok(would make me learn thai more) but the weather is either hot or cold,and i'd end up living in a small thai village.

Other than that clockwork rain in Issan, what could be the attraction?

Game4shame:
the bars (especially lamai) are generally run-down and depressing. some of them could do with a serious makeover.

True, but isn't the seediness part of the attraction?

but the bargirls are generally run-down and depressing too.

I can't quite put my finger on it but a night out in lamai or chaweng used to get me excited. these days I'm struggling to think of anywhere half-decent to go.

the nightlife just doesn't seem to be the same these days. lamai is dead and chaweng isn't much better.

sound in chaweng used to be ok after hours when the pool was open - place used to be packed and was always a good night. then they closed the pool area and last time I checked they had closed the whole place.

solo also used to be ok but now you feel like you've had a good night if you don't get shot.

the odd gimmick comes up - eg bar ice - which is usually a huge anti-climax.

Edited by game4shame

game4shame:

I can't quite put my finger on it but a night out in lamai or chaweng used to get me excited. these days I'm struggling to think of anywhere half-decent to go.

I hear you, but I think it might be you and me that has changed more than the bars or the social engineering professionals who staff the places. I remember Patpong in 1986 as being quite the bee's knees. It's all still good, but the polish is off the apple.

I remember when I first saw juice sold in Baggies filled with ice, the top wrapped in a red plastic twistie with a straw coming out. I thought that was so bizarre; but today, it doesn't even register.

I think your comment would fall under the "boredom" category for me.

(IF there are any entrepreneurs out there in Lamai, open a bar with MUD WRESTLING CHICKS! That's my big idea but I haven't the inclination to do it myself. But trust me, do it right and you will not only be making money, you will become a legend.)

game4shame:

I hear you, but I think it might be you and me that has changed more than the bars or the social engineering professionals who staff the places. I remember Patpong in 1986 as being quite the bee's knees. It's all still good, but the polish is off the apple.

I remember when I first saw juice sold in Baggies filled with ice, the top wrapped in a red plastic twistie with a straw coming out. I thought that was so bizarre; but today, it doesn't even register.

(IF there are any entrepreneurs out there in Lamai, open a bar with MUD WRESTLING CHICKS! That's my big idea but I haven't the inclination to do it myself. But trust me, do it right and you will not only be making money, you will become a legend.)

that's a very good idea,once saw it of all places in an RSL club in paddington sydney,drew in alot of people.(RSL) is like british legion clubs back in UK.

game4shame:

Siam bar & grill used to have some sort of wrestling.I don't remember if it was oil or what.

Siam bar & grill used to have some sort of wrestling.I don't remember if it was oil or what.

If i remember rightly they tried both mud and jelly/jello ( not at the same time ).

Didn't really take off

If i remember rightly they tried both mud and jelly/jello ( not at the same time ).

Didn't really take off

yeah thai's dont like getting oil on their bodies,when they have a massage its always a thai massage,so they sure would n't like mud,but you could import western women to do the mud wrestling(uzbekistanis perhaps)

Didn't really take off

yeah thai's dont like getting oil on their bodies,when they have a massage its always a thai massage,so they sure would n't like mud,but you could import western women to do the mud wrestling(uzbekistanis perhaps)

uzbekistani jelly wrestling :o:D Now that would be a reason to leave samui :D

Hopefully those who don't like this and that, down here on Samui stay away with their bad vibes and ranting, it will benefit all...! :o

I came here almost 20 years ago when things were pretty different from now, lived all the way through the changes and still love it, after all I feel @ home!

Edited by Samuian

For me Samui is boring.

I was only ever on holiday there (doing a long stay in between jobs, abt 6 months) and I found the place in the end to be depressingly boring. What is there to do on Samui? Not much, gets repetitive. Its a small island which on the whole is a bit of a dump.

Sure you got some very decent beaches, but the towns (Chaweng, Lamai, Bophut, Bangrak (which is just a road)) offer very little. Getting around the place is a massive pain in the arse and when you get somewhere it was probably not worth going too. It really is SAME SAME but SAME......

For me I would go back to samui maybe every couple of years for a short holiday only if I was staying in a 5 star hotel where I could sit by a decent pool and relax. To stay longterm is just not something that interests me, due to there is nothing in Samui of interest.

For me Phuket is a much better place. Better beaches, facalities, everything. Although it still has its problems.

Well thats amazed me....its taken two whole days before there was an unwanted and unwarranted post telling us all to stay away. What a really great contribution to this so far interesting exchange of views.

But I was expecting it as there is always someone isnt there. Still with all the faults that we have talked about and he still feels at home...that says it all really, doesnt it. But I wish him and all on Samui well and hope none of you are wanting to drive through Nathon this week. :o:D

HL :D

Chaweng/Lamai one way :o

Logistically a nightmare...cost of flights etc.

Could be anywhere feeling...too many Pizza Hut/Burger King/Starbucks etc

Lack of nightlife

No industry, only tourism/real estate that have both been extremely effected in the last few years.

Reasons for already left

still way too many co*ks going the wrong way in lamai.

Seriously, not this old itch again...it has been disregarded by all (Thais and Westerners alike) so thoroughly that even bringing it up is just an academic exercise. You might just as well complain about people driving without helmets, another law broken every day. I think if it had been a good law, not only would the police be enforcing it, but the public would recognize its intrinsic value and abide by it.

Pothai:

Lack of nightlife

What do you mean, exactly? Not enough opera?

Hey Mark Wolfe sorry mate, I forgot to respond to your last post aimed at me.

I never said I went to Nong Khai, but dont worry it is a mistake lots of people make.

"Nong Ki" is a small town about 45 minutes south east of Korat and I hated it which is why we then moved to live in the main city.

Korat by the way is the third largest city in Thailand after Chang Mai and Bangkok, and has everything here in one way or another. You could'nt possibly have seen it all by driving straight through the city keeping to the main road. I would also venture that if you drove off the ferry and around the ring road of Samui you also would'nt say "WOW I'd like to live here."

The answer to your question of why we left Samui in the first place......I cant really say....I think my wife and I both felt we wanted a change and the time was right, and she owns land in Nong Ki which we thought we would live on. Luckily we discovered we didnt like it before building so I never wasted any money. Maybe subconsciously it was some or all of the things mentioned already, I dont know but I certainly did not turn around and say "lets go because of this or that."

Anyway mate I stand by everything I have said on this topic but am now retiring from posting any more.

I have enjoyed our discussion though and look forward to the next time.

ps...I am flying down to Samui on monday for a couple of days so make sure the skies are blue please mark.

HL :o

replying to your fourth point.............then i guess you'd want to leave thailand?

how about savings/investments/cash all wiped out................just credit card left with zero balance.

I suppose what I am getting at with all these points is, and maybe I could rephrase the question, "What is it that exists or could develop in your life that would make you leave Samui?"

The phony relationships are a fixture here and to some degree I find them amusing. I also find it good to know what you are in for; I mean, as long as you are aware that relationships here are business transactions, you will be fine. But as the time goes by, it does get sort of old and I get wistful for relationships that are predicated on mutual interest, not how one can "take care" of another. I also see my fair share of men with the line hanging out of their mouths, the other end of which contains the hook, line and sinker, "And I think, 'I could educate you on this, but you'd either not listen or not believe me. So enjoy while you can.'" I find that amusing too, but in the same way we all laugh at someone slipping on a banana peel.

I am also puzzled by PoorSucker's reply, "Going on vacation up north." So going on vacation up north is a reason that would make you leave Samui? Or is he being facetious and I am too muddle-headed to realize it?

I agree that losing your financial wherewithal would be crucial (believe me, I know), but I thought many ex-pats here actually worked, or is that just a cover for bumming around with an excuse?

I can think of other things that do not yet exist here for me (and hopefully never do) that would make me leave, like cracking my head open in a bike accident, for instance, but I think these are obvious to all.

"If I chip another tooth on a piece of bone in my pad Thai I'm leaving this place forever!"

I have many friends in samui who are in relationships with Thai ladies and money is not an issue, no more than in a western relationship. Now i will spout my usual generalisation which i stand by but will no doubt get shot down for: If you date an ex bar girl then 7 times out of ten it contains the same risks as employing a consistently offending thief.

If you are 20 years older than your partner, not very attractive, always in a bar with lots of other moaning expats complaining about Thailand, but you have a fair bit of money then more than likely the relationship/marriage could very well be a case of 'matrimonial prostitution'. I.e she is only with you for one thing.

Most of my friends are around 30, and so are their partners, none of my friends are rich but they get by together, love each other, care for each other, share responsibilities and have fun.....

What would make me return to samui??.Hmmmm if all the sexpats and horrid drunken elderly perverts that thai people and foreign people despise left the island.

Hear hear..well said!! I completely agree, i've been in a relationship now for a while with a local Thai girl and we're both in our 30's. We both get on so well and she pays her way just like as if i was back home, money just isn't an issue to her and not a thing that drives her in life!!

Seriously, not this old itch again...it has been disregarded by all (Thais and Westerners alike) so thoroughly that even bringing it up is just an academic exercise. You might just as well complain about people driving without helmets, another law broken every day. I think if it had been a good law, not only would the police be enforcing it, but the public would recognize its intrinsic value and abide by it.

yeah, but people driving without helmets doesn't increase the chance of crashing!! driving the wrong way down a one way road certainly does.

don't get me wrong - I hate the one way system in lamai as much as the next guy but it's been brought in now so we all do it or we all don't. with all due respect I'd disagree with your point about it being disregarded by all - I'd say about 50/50.

I could count the amount of folk I've seen going the wrong way in chaweng on one hand. lamai system, however, is a joke.

they should've enforced the one way system for 4 wheel vehicles only IMO.

yeah, but people driving without helmets doesn't increase the chance of crashing!! driving the wrong way down a one way road certainly does.

don't get me wrong - I hate the one way system in lamai as much as the next guy but it's been brought in now so we all do it or we all don't. with all due respect I'd disagree with your point about it being disregarded by all - I'd say about 50/50.

I could count the amount of folk I've seen going the wrong way in chaweng on one hand. lamai system, however, is a joke.

they should've enforced the one way system for 4 wheel vehicles only IMO.

Pothai:

Lack of nightlife

What do you mean, exactly? Not enough opera?

The one way is a problem when you use a car.

Not specially want the opera but where is so much fun for a couple...Solo, Fushion??? If living on Samui I think not much for couples to have fun a lot :D