Quarantine At Bangkok Airport

Hello,

We are flying to UK soon. I called Animal Quarantine Office in Bangkok and because we are flying at 8pm they said to bring her on the day is fine. (We have all documents that are needed including import licence from UK).

But we are flying Ethiad. The agent who is dealing with our booking say we have to come 3 days in advance which seems a little previous! It wouldn't be a problem if we live in Bangkok but we don't.

Anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks

When I send animals abroad I arrange everything in CM. Dog or cat goes with Thai Airways to Bkk, stays in transit there till the connecting flight which is usually another plane company.

Check-in at cargo is 4 hours before, check in as excess luggage is 2 hours before.

I met an Australian couple at Bangkok airport one day who had just arranged to bring their two much loved dogs from Australia to live with them in Bangkok. They were horrified when I explained to them that there was no way for the dogs to ever go home. Apparently they didn't realise that you cannot import an animal into Australia from Thailand. I wonder why nobody explained this to them during the process!

As the owner of a much loved maltese terrier who lives in Melbourne I felt very sorry for them. I would love to have my dog here, but she would never be able to go home again.

Edited by rjk

Hi, there are a few ways for your pet to go back into Australia . You need to export to Malaysia or Europe or North America ,stay there for 6 months then go to Australia 1 mnth quarantine. Long way around but feasable. With lots of expenses but...

Hi, there are a few ways for your pet to go back into Australia . You need to export to Malaysia or Europe or North America ,stay there for 6 months then go to Australia 1 mnth quarantine. Long way around but feasable. With lots of expenses but...

That would not be an option for most people, however this couple may need to do that if they ever decide to take their pets home. I felt sorry for them that nobody explained to them the issues involved.

quarantine in the UK, and probably all europe and usa, is 6 months and costs thousands £/$. Probably easier to Malaysia

Actually, I think you are wrong here londonthai, I don't believe the US has a strict quarantine law, in fact, I believe that if your animal has all their shots by a qualified vet there is no confinement. At least, it doesn't list any need for confinement in the CDC page covering this issue:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal/dogs.htm

The US is, after all, not a rabies free country so it would make little sense to quarantine for rabies, unlike the UK.

I second that, the USA doesn't have a quarantine law as the UK has. Neither does the EU.

Dogs can enter the USA when all jabs are up-to-date with proper health-, import- and export certificates.

For importing dogs into the EU one need to send a sample of the dog's blood to a registered lab in the country where the dog goes to. There they test for Rabies anti-bodies. After the owner has received the test results the dog needs to stay another 3 months in Thailand before it can enter that country.

Also Japan requires Rabies testing. And from what I've understood they have a 2 months quarantine period.

A customer of mine has imported his dog into Australia last year. The dog needed to stay 5 or 6 months in quarantine in Singapore and another month in quarantine in Autralia. So, also importing a dog from Thailand into Australia seems to be possible, although not ideal for the dog and awfully expensive. Nonetheless, not a reason for this customer to leave his family member behind. :o

Hello,

We are flying to UK soon. I called Animal Quarantine Office in Bangkok and because we are flying at 8pm they said to bring her on the day is fine. (We have all documents that are needed including import licence from UK).

But we are flying Ethiad. The agent who is dealing with our booking say we have to come 3 days in advance which seems a little previous! It wouldn't be a problem if we live in Bangkok but we don't.

Anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks

This isn't a problem with Animal Quarantine, it's a problem with the airline. Some airlines insist on having the health certificate number (issued by Animal Quarantine) before they will book the animal on the flight.

I find that different staff of the same airline will repsond differntly when you explain you are going to get the certificate on the day of departure. Some say fine, some insist they can't book itwithout the number.

Since agent isn't helping suggest you call the airline directly yourself.

Sbk is correct stating that 'I believe that if your animal has all their shots by a qualified vet there is no confinement.'

To sbk:

we have a superb pinned discussion on "Importing A Pet Into Thailand",

and was wondering if we could start a complementary one named " Exporting A Pet From Thailand ".

I am sure it would serve what seems to be a growing need.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I will be returning to my home in the UK next year, along with my two dogs (one Thai, one British).  As of 1st January, 2012 there will be no more quarantine for dogs and cats etc. on entry into the UK.  Fantastic news indeed.  Check out Defra site: http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/2011/06/30/pb13582-bringing-pets-into-uk/<br><br>Good luck!<br><br><br>