Clothes Pegs (pins) ?

Steve2UK

Anyone have thoughts on where to find clothes pegs (US "pins"?) that actually work?

By "work" I mean - grip stuff on the washing line and don't disintegrate or fly apart after just a few uses. In just over two years, I'm now on what must be the 6th or 7th try with different types. I once found some that look like plastic clones of the standard UK wood version - and they work OK......... until they disintegrate (and I haven't seen them on sale again since). All the others don't grip - or fly apart after a while if they do.

Anyone have thoughts on where to find clothes pegs (US "pins"?) that actually work?

By "work" I mean - grip stuff on the washing line and don't disintegrate or fly apart after just a few uses. In just over two years, I'm now on what must be the 6th or 7th try with different types. I once found some that look like plastic clones of the standard UK wood version - and they work OK......... until they disintegrate (and I haven't seen them on sale again since). All the others don't grip - or fly apart after a while if they do.

In spite of the risk of responding to one very odd post, I can relate.

I searched long and hard (punchline coming) for grippers that would not fly off my various laundry items/body parts, and finally settled on one particular type that satisfies my desires.

Look for the plastic ones that have a larger steel spring, about the size of an American quarter or slightly larger - their failure rate is even lower than mine... :o

(explicit photos available)

I think the only option is to get somebody to bring them from your home country.

Pegs are cheap enough here but useless. More expensive ones are better, but still fall apart or break after a while.

Because the plastic gives up after a while,they are in the sun all the time.

I think the only option is to get somebody to bring them from your home country.

Pegs are cheap enough here but useless. More expensive ones are better, but still fall apart or break after a while.

Yep. All this wood around but I never see any wood versions here.

@ Dustoff - I do know what you mean about "odd" and "risk" (same thought went through my mind before I posted in the first place)......... but not "very odd"! :o

@ Dustoff - I do know what you mean about "odd" and "risk" (same thought went through my mind before I posted in the first place)......... but not "very odd"! :o

Plastic does not stand up well to the sun here, however having said that the locally available pegs are shyt to begin with.

I bring them from my home country whenever I need to replenish my stocks.

Do the same with many things....

This is why those wooden frogs must be preserved, Steve2UK. Perhaps they could even be trained to sit on the line, gripping clothing.

Could you use those clothes hangers that have clips (for hanging pants, skirts etc.)?

Most things dry quickly during the less humid times of year if hung from the shower rail on clothes hangers.

Otherwise, it seems you may need to request a goodwill package.

Is your next question a pressing one :o:D ?

Edited by WaiWai

This is why those wooden frogs must be preserved, Steve2UK. Perhaps they could even be trained to sit on the line, gripping clothing.

Could you use those clothes hangers that have clips (for hanging pants, skirts etc.)?

Most things dry quickly during the less humid times of year if hung from the shower rail on clothes hangers.

Otherwise, it seems you may need to request a goodwill package.

Is your next question a pressing one :D:D ?

Used to be that gypsies/travellers in the UK would sell (wooden) clothes-pegs - maybe I should suggest that some of those "rivet-rivet" wandering Night Bazaar sales-ladies switch to pegs?

At the further risk (and Bill97 hasn't even joined in yet! :o ) of looking obsessed with this mundane subject......... I do already use hangers for shirts/T-shirts etc - even shorts/jeans sometimes. That "irons out" many of the non-peg problems - as well as dealing with enough of the creases to require no further attention (love that last "line" of yours :D ).

My brow remains furrowed, Steve2UK :o .

Is it possible for you to reveal here precisely which items are unsuited to coathanger-ing?

I find that the local laundries do a great job of cleaning, drying and folding for wrinkle-free and nicely creased cottons for very reasonable rates.

Some fabrics require dry-cleaning. I can't say I have encountered consistently good results with silk from dry cleaners in my area.

OK - I'll bite.......... just hope we're not heading for another "free water"-style of thread! :D

Sheets, pillow cases, towels, floor mats, underwear and anything else (including items previously mentioned) likely to fall off hangers when the wind gets up. More than that has to be on a strictly "need to know basis" (as in - "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" :o ). One additional snippet I can reveal without putting you in peril: pegs that work are good to keep the hangers separate so that the "hung" items will dry more quickly than if they bunch together.

Sure there are laundries (very good and relatively cheap ones), but I'm more a DIY kind of guy - and already have about 14,000 baht invested in a good washing machine that's more than an ornament.

In the absence of a local answer to my original question, looks like a "care package" from the outside world is the way to go. Can't wait to see what creative accounting those fine upstanding Thai customs officials will come up with if I do..........

At the further risk (and Bill97 hasn't even joined in yet! :o ) of looking obsessed with this mundane subject.........

Dear Steve,

Thank you for so kindly inviting me in.

My previously expressed and continuing love for you compels me to offer you some pegs/pins which will exceed your wildest expectations. Not wood but high quality uv resistant plastic produced to very high Japanese specifications with sturdy stainless steel springs the size of a US half dollar. In months of rigorous testing, not one has flown apart nor has one item come off in the wind.

I do not know a source for these in Thailand so I am in the process of negotiation delivery of a container load to Chiang Mai to resolve the crisis that you and so many others are experiencing and bring your suffering to an end.

While waiting for that delivery I am thrilled to offer you some free for your testing if you can PM me and provide me an address for mailing or a location for delivery. I am confident that you will find these extraordinary.

You may also refer to the thread on how to close a bag of bread for an alternative peg/pin solution using a readily available in Chiang Mai and inexpensive product.

At the further risk (and Bill97 hasn't even joined in yet! :o ) of looking obsessed with this mundane subject.........

Dear Steve,

Bill - my hero! :D But I've never thought of you as needing an invitation before!

What can I say? I did already see your mention of baling wire on the stale bread thread and passing reference to using it for wet laundry - and was all set to ask you how to use it for that.......... :D......... particularly as I share your admiration for the stuff and always have plenty here at the house. I've long been a bit of a "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" fan, but that's motorcycles etc - and not Fords. I may even re-jig the bookshelves project with baling wire in mind.

Although others are now coming out of the shadows about their previously secret need for pegs that work, I think a container-load might be overkill - unless maybe you could also promote them to WaiWai for use as CM-sourced gifts for Thai friends elsewhere in the kingdom? As to your kind offer to deliver samples to my home, perhaps better on more neutral central turf - e.g. Gecko Books with UG as referee monitor?

Dear Steve,

I did already see your mention of baling wire on the stale bread thread and passing reference to using it for wet laundry - and was all set to ask you how to use it for that..........

I think a container-load might be overkill

As to your kind offer to deliver samples to my home, perhaps better on more neutral central turf - e.g. Gecko Books with UG as referee monitor?

I am sure you can figure out how to use a piece of wire to attach a piece of cloth to a line or bar and may even enjoy some ZEN exploring the alternative methods so I will not disclose my optimal method (do not want to hurt the future peg/pin sales).

Not to worry, container load will sell fast, I have watched the pent-up demand grow for more than 20 years and the current economic situation indicates that holding useful products is better than rapidly depreciating paper.

To further confirm my good faith and enduring love, I will get the samples for you delivered to Gecko Books if you trust UG to not nip them and confirm that he knows you by SteveUK so that I can be assured that they do not fall into the wrong hands and thereby compromise my new venture on which I am banking. Not to worry, I only want to make a little money, not a killing.

Ok so it is wet and windy and I am bored... :o ...not a good drying day at all... :D ..here are the pegs.... :D

post-66955-1232182357_thumb.jpg

And the pic even includes a map of where to find them! :D

Seriously, that's a neat idea (hope they don't rust?) - I'll have a look in a CM stationery store. Thanks! :D

Ok so it is wet and windy and I am bored... :o ...not a good drying day at all... :D ..here are the pegs.... :wai:

Seriously, that's a neat idea (hope they don't rust?) - I'll have a look in a CM stationery store. Thanks! :D

These pegs are quite good. I use them already for a couple of years.

Untill now no problem with rust. They can't handle dog's teeth, though. :D

I buy them on the local market: talad nad which is every Sunday afternoon in front of the kennel.

If you like I can buy a couple of packs (10 pegs per pack, 10 or 20 baht per pack) for you and give them to Chas for your to collect at Tuskers.

Nienke

Edited by Nienke

Ok so it is wet and windy and I am bored... :D ...not a good drying day at all... :D ..here are the pegs.... :P

These pegs are quite good. I use them already for a couple of years.

Untill now no problem with rust. They can't handle dog's teeth, though. :wai:

I buy them on the local market: talad nad which is every Sunday afternoon in front of the kennel.

If you like I can buy a couple of packs (10 pegs per pack, 10 or 20 baht per pack) for you and give them to Chas for your to collect at Tuskers.

Nienke

Saved by the belle! Thank you so much. Could you please make it 3 packs and I'll make my way back to dog heaven to do the pick-up/payment from you direct?

[and I know what you mean about double posts and the connection going down - thank you, TOT, very, very much..... :o ]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve

read your post and thought my pegs may suit your needs. They are called L'UV Pegs

They are based on the original dolly peg design but with a difference.

Added UV stabilizing & colour fast agents make these pegs UV Resistant to withstand the harshest sun conditions.

Solid one piece clothes peg so no moving parts to break or snap or metal parts to rust.

Superior grip for cyclonic type wind speeds

Regular size pegs - Not oversized

Ergonomic design to reduce fatigue - arthritis friendly

Pack of 30 pegs in 6 bright colours will making washing a bit more fun!

Made from recycled polypropylene.

You can see them on my webstore www.kissandcarry.com.au

If you would like more information or an order I could investigate international shipping rates. You may be happy with the ones you have just found eslewhere, but I thought I would let you know about these anyway.

kissandc

Edited by kissandc

The green ones from BigC best so far :D

The blue ones great while they lasted now the plastic is cracking up :o

post-35075-1234261026_thumb.jpg

:D

The blue ones are the ones I recommended above and they have lasted MANY times longer than anything else we have used and have a good grip.

But then we limit the time our laundry is in the direct sun as it deteriorates not only pegs but clothing as well. The only things we cook in the sun are older rugs and such and they are usually heavy enough not to need pegs..

After many years of trying to convince my wife that we could use a washing machine (she does everything by hand), I finally just bought one and she loves it!

An LG front-loader, I keep it on gentle mode to protect my biker t-shirts, it spins at an incredible 800 rpm and clothing comes out of it already almost dry. The disadvantage I suppose is that my wife now snoozes late in the mornings while I am out there doing laundry.

Go figure.. :D

Hi Steve

read your post and thought my pegs may suit your needs. They are called L'UV Pegs

They are based on the original dolly peg design but with a difference.

Added UV stabilizing & colour fast agents make these pegs UV Resistant to withstand the harshest sun conditions.

Solid one piece clothes peg so no moving parts to break or snap or metal parts to rust.

Superior grip for cyclonic type wind speeds

Regular size pegs - Not oversized

Ergonomic design to reduce fatigue - arthritis friendly

Pack of 30 pegs in 6 bright colours will making washing a bit more fun!

Made from recycled polypropylene.

You can see them on my webstore www.kissandcarry.com.au

If you would like more information or an order I could investigate international shipping rates. You may be happy with the ones you have just found eslewhere, but I thought I would let you know about these anyway.

post-76680-1234297449_thumb.jpgpost-76680-1234297563_thumb.jpg

post-76680-1234297578_thumb.jpg

kissandc

• 4 weeks later...
With respect, all those pictured are absolute shyt.

If you want good clothes pegs you gotta bring them from home.

I bring a (and maintain) a reasonable stock from the antipodes.

With respect- thanks for taking the time to look at the pics but have you seen and/or tried the L'uv pegs?

Designed for harsh Australian conditions they really do live up to their description and I am happy that someone took

the time and effort to design something as good ..........and the fact that the designer is male makes him one very thoughtful guy! :o

• 10 months later...

Taking advantage of an all too brief lull in the citywide 24/7 rallies, thug goon mob rule and general mayhem that (allegedly) we have going on here :) ......... I ventured out to Lotus Khamtien - and what did I find?

post-14906-1265422856_thumb.jpg

Proof if proof were ever needed that the powers-that-be here do actually pay attention to what's said on ThaiVisa. Now, how the consignment of these vital items made it through the blockades into "Fortress Chiang Mai" is of course another matter......... :D

Now, how the consignment of these vital items made it through the blockades into "Fortress Chiang Mai" is of course another matter......... :)

The som-tam lady, fount of knowledge on all things Thai, tells me that this was the real reason the Navy recently acquired its new submarines, and that they're dedicated to regular runs up & down Mae Ping, you've no doubt seen 'The Malta Story' so will get the gist ?

Upon hearing that the blockade has indeed been broken, I was prompted to wonder out loud, whether they might find space for some inexpensive German white-wines, in the near future. Emergency-supplies desperately needed to maintain morale, amongst the expatriate 'natives', etc. :D