hey all

can someone give me a rough total cost for a wedding in thai

my thai wife & i registered our marriage last year, but now she wants

the whole party thing with family & friends

im not at all interested in a big show, so what are the costs

for a normal traditional thai wedding. im farang with little money

at present.

thanks for any sensible comments

it various greatly depending on location and size. 5 star hotel reception big bucks, somtam and other snacks in lumpini park - a bargain,

but seriously, find a restaurant and hold it there. don't forget photos, invitations, entertainment and all those things. is she from bkk or upcountry - upcountry wedding would be cheaper i would guess (for many reasons).

but seriously, find a restaurant and hold it there. don't forget photos, invitations, entertainment and all those things. is she from bkk or upcountry - upcountry wedding would be cheaper i would guess (for many reasons).

I suggest having it at hertheir house. It doesn't make much difference in Bangkok or elsewhere. We had ours just outside Bangkok, so neither upcountry or Bangkok and it was 40,000 baht 7 years ago. There were 200 guests and good food and drink. There was also entertainment - a built stage, dancers and singers.

How about….

Just set the BUDGET first….how much “the max amount’ are you willing to spend.

Then….fit as many people and things "within that budget".

In the end, some people and things will need to be left out,…oh well, so be it!!!

Just me

How about….

In the end, some people and things will need to be left out,…oh well, so be it!!!

Just me

In fact, that's exactly what we did. Most refreshing thing at the end of it all was no borrowing or credit card bills to worry about post nuptuals.

How about….

Just me

In fact, that's exactly what we did. Most refreshing thing at the end of it all was no borrowing or credit card bills to worry about post nuptuals.

Ahh.....great minds think alike....yeah? :o

How about….

Just me

they do, let me know when you find someone on here that has one.

My wedding cost me very little.

The reason being that we didn't see that point of having a big ceremony at which a whole load of people would turn up whom don't even know our names. Also my wife being an orphan contributed to that decision.

We did have a bit of a party for friends though in a hotel, and then back to our house to carry it on.

Actually a Thai wedding doesn’t cost anything. The most important is the box at the entrance where people drop their envelope. Usually people don’t bring gifts, just an envelope. What is inside depends of who you invite. Your wife should know. Just multiply the number of guest by the average “envelope” and you get the budget for your wedding.

How about….

Just me

they do, let me know when you find someone on here that has one.

the saying is merely a trinket to amuse the weak-minded.

Actually a Thai wedding doesn’t cost anything. The most important is the box at the entrance where people drop their envelope. Usually people don’t bring gifts, just an envelope. What is inside depends of who you invite. Your wife should know. Just multiply the number of guest by the average “envelope” and you get the budget for your wedding.

***note, if you marry young, keep in mind your mrs friends of similar age and background also come with the same earning / spending power.

Needless to say, our wedding was filled with new grads (sorry, no uniforms) for which my 10 male farang friends were very grateful for. Small price to pay to ensure your guests happiness. :o

ps, the box of envelopes didn't add up to the cost of the wedding

I used a wedding centre in Bangkok. They have a traditional Thai building set up specifically for weddings. With 120 guests and everything included including the marching band, karaoke, drinks, food, 9 monks MC etc it cost me 70K 2 years ago.

Note for a "traditional" middle class wedding in Baqngkok : A Thai wedding is a family affair. Unfortunately you just don't only invite your friends but also your family, relatives, colleagues .... 400 persons is small wedding as far as Thai are concerned. Nothing's better than having your boss as MC for your wedding !!!

I think you're mixing up Thai/Chinese with real Thai people.

Thai people don't only invite rich people to cover the costs - that's terribly stingy, horrible practise.

I've found that the Chinese seem to invite family and colleagues as that what their life is all about - work and money.

Actually a Thai wedding doesn't cost anything. The most important is the box at the entrance where people drop their envelope. Usually people don't bring gifts, just an envelope. What is inside depends of who you invite. Your wife should know. Just multiply the number of guest by the average "envelope" and you get the budget for your wedding.

Thai people don't only invite rich people to cover the costs - that's terribly stingy, horrible practise.

I've found that the Chinese seem to invite family and colleagues as that what their life is all about - work and money.

It's not about inviting rich people to cover the cost, it's more about redistributing wealth.When you get married, your relatives and friends give you money to start your family. Later, when you're better off, you pay them back, actually you pay their kids for their own wedding and give them the same chance that was given to you when you get married.

Actually a Thai wedding doesn't cost anything. The most important is the box at the entrance where people drop their envelope. Usually people don't bring gifts, just an envelope. What is inside depends of who you invite. Your wife should know. Just multiply the number of guest by the average "envelope" and you get the budget for your wedding.

It's not about inviting rich people to cover the cost, it's more about redistributing wealth.When you get married, your relatives and friends give you money to start your family. Later, when you're better off, you pay them back, actually you pay their kids for their own wedding and give them the same chance that was given to you when you get married.

At my village wedding a couple of years ago my wife (and her family I assume) invited as many people as they could as this increased the number of envelopes received. Though the gifts covered the food/entertainment they came nowhere near the cost of the amount of whisky the village was able to consume at 8am in the morning so I would suggest limits/control over the booze if you do it this way!

At my village wedding a couple of years ago my wife (and her family I assume) invited as many people as they could as this increased the number of envelopes received. Though the gifts covered the food/entertainment they came nowhere near the cost of the amount of whisky the village was able to consume at 8am in the morning so I would suggest limits/control over the booze if you do it this way!

Actually she (and the whole village) were just taking the piss. :o

Actually she (and the whole village) were just taking the piss. :o

It was one of the happiest days of my life and the village part of the wedding was by far the cheapest (and most memorable) bit of the whole occasion.

My point to the OP would be that as has been stated before, set a budget them work out what you can afford to do but allow for plenty of booze if you include an Isaan village bit!

thanks to you guys that replied with suggestions

there are some good ideas, i got the shock of my

life when i asked the mrs how much for a wedding

in thai ,she told me 300,000.00 baht !!! i told her

im no (superstar) & would not afford such a wedding

she is keen on me paying sin sod too .....now as far as

im concerned we have the bit of paper from the regester

& all money i get would be better spent on building a good future

for us ie;a house to live in .im seriously considering no wedding party

if this behaviour continues,as rude as it may seem to some.

Just checked back and I budgetted for 100,000B for the village bit in the morning where there was a ceremony in my wifes house followed by a big piss up with food for the whole village plus more in a tent outside.

There was and a further 100,000B for an evening do at a hotel in Nong Khai for 120 people which was a good spread with food and disco.

If I remember correctly my budget figures weren't too far off with the main descrepancy being for the extra drink.

Mine cost me 300000 Baht, I'm sure some of that was used as Sinsod. I just told my wife to handle everything and she got the wedding of her dreams and I got a lighter wallet. Now she wants to have a western style marriage when we visit my home country. :o

I have been to Thai weddings that have cost less than 10,000 Baht. Most expensive about 100,0000 and that was 2 parties, one daytime with the actual ceremony and then another in the evening with singers and dancers.

An up country Mor Lum show costs about 12 to 18,000 Baht.

Most Thai marriages, family and friends prepare the food, so reduces costs.

300,000 Baht ??? if 300 guests that would be 1000 Baht per head. That would be some party

I wasn't interested in a big show either, but my wife to be kept upping the budget. I was told there would be a band, turned out to be a band and six girls dancing all night with costume changes. It was one of the best days of my life and I don't regret the extra cost at all. Also it's a great show for the family - what their future son in law can afford.

I wasn't interested in a big show either, but my wife to be kept upping the budget. I was told there would be a band, turned out to be a band and six girls dancing all night with costume changes. It was one of the best days of my life and I don't regret the extra cost at all. Also it's a great show for the family - what their future son in law can afford.

Very similar to my wedding. Initially I set a 100K budget, but it passed that very quickly. We had the actual morning ceremony with only very close family and friends, then we had a huge party in the evening with about 400 people who I didn't know. Still it was loads of fun and I don't regret it.

The oldest sister just got married to a foreigner aswell and her wedding costs only came to about 40000 Baht, but they already had a child together.

thanks to you guys that replied with suggestions

there are some good ideas, i got the shock of my

life when i asked the mrs how much for a wedding

in thai ,she told me 300,000.00 baht !!! i told her

im no (superstar) & would not afford such a wedding

she is keen on me paying sin sod too .....now as far as

im concerned we have the bit of paper from the regester

& all money i get would be better spent on building a good future

for us ie;a house to live in .im seriously considering no wedding party

if this behaviour continues,as rude as it may seem to some.

For people who have "issues" with the sinsod, I made this arrangement :for "cultural" reasons I won't pay any sinsod, but the "box" will go to my in-laws. It worked, everybody was happy, everybody saved face, and we had a great party.

I spent about 140k.

Held in the village. Hired music and a DJ for 2 days, dancers on the wedding day, rented tables-chairs-silver-plates-glasses, had 2 pigs slaughtered, loads of vegies, noodles, rice, paid the cooks, servers and cleaners, hair stylist and makeup artist for the day, flowers, the monk, a 3-day supply of beer and whiskey that never ran out, had the wedding outfit made for the wife. It was a 3-day gala event. I figure about 100-200 people wandered in and out over the 3 day period.

I paid about 50k sin sod and 40k was returned. The envelopes only netted us about 20k, so I gave about half of it to grandmother. No big deal, not a wealthy village.

Total Cost for everything: 150k

We forgot two very important items though: Photos and a Video Cameraman to record the ceremony.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I have been to Thai weddings that have cost less than 10,000 Baht. Most expensive about 100,0000 and that was 2 parties, one daytime with the actual ceremony and then another in the evening with singers and dancers.

An up country Mor Lum show costs about 12 to 18,000 Baht.

Most Thai marriages, family and friends prepare the food, so reduces costs.

300,000 Baht ??? if 300 guests that would be 1000 Baht per head. That would be some party

It is easy to spend 300,000 baht on a wedding here,taking into account gifts for the guests,the envelopes with money for bribes when someone takes your shoes...(No,i still don't understand that one either),the envelopes with bribes to enter your bedroom where the sin sod is layed out on the bed with the flowers,photo albums,video.If at home,then the hire of the tent and everything underneath,paying for the accommodation of relatives and friends that live far away,it just seemed to go on forever...If your wife has wealthy friends,then considerable money can be returned to you via monetary gifts,but thats not important,what is important is that you enjoy yourself,relax and hope you never divorce... :o

A typical village marriage will cost about 50,000 to 150,000. A typical city wedding will start at twice that & go up from there.

If your girlfriend is getting pushy about the sinsot & wedding, just put them off - indefinitely. After a few years & maybe a kid or two her family will get tired of negotiating & will be ready to let her go for a big discount. Remember, you may think that she is making the plans, but it's really her parents & grandparents who are running the show. When they say jump, she'll ask how high.

Edited by otherstuff1957