Beer Chang & Chlorine

BygonKeaw

Beer like everything else is down to personal taste. I crave for the beer I used to drink in Oz. (Pure Blonde) however have now finally taken to Leo because there is something in Chang and Singa that is not right. Others will swear by these beers and that is great, but not for me . . .

Beer like everything else is down to personal taste. I crave for the beer I used to drink in Oz. (Pure Blonde) however have now finally taken to Leo because there is something in Chang and Singa that is not right. Others will swear by these beers and that is great, but not for me . . .

I have just researched on the net and i can only imagine that beer chang brew there beer with water that hasnt had the chlorine taken out if it. Therefore making the making the odd bottle aroy mak mak.

I wouldnt say beer with a hint of chlorine is a personal taste!!

...In my boozing days there was always one or two guys that allways found something wrong with the Pubs beer(no one else noticed)...".this aint right, you taste it" was often heared,..."na he hasn't cleaned the pipes,"....ect ect ....when they got drunk you could feed them nats piss they wouldn't know the difference,...HA HA!! :o

Edited by dee123

Never drank it ,but saw an advert for beer blonde in a Thai paper .Its going to be introduced to Thailand shortly .

So what makes that gold medal winning beer taste like there is chlorine in it every now and again??

Thats 2 times in 1 week i have had the taste.

Im sure there are some experts on here that can tell me the secret to that distinct aroy taste. :o

I guess you mean a chemical bleachy taste or aroma. Well it's not so bad, although it's so strong.

The only medical possibility is that you could have a bit of bacterial activity in your nose caused by an 'ammonia splitting' bacteria. This would produce a peculiar smell made all apparent by the Chang for some reason.

Otherwise try Leo, Singha or the altogether more agreeable, but expensive, Heineken

Leo and all labels of Singha give me headaches after I drink even one can/bottle :o . San Miguel, Heineken and Tiger don't do this. I like Chang too and have also experienced some unusual tastes in it. Didn't think about chlorine but you may be right.

I once read somewhere that all beers contain a chemical known as nitrosamine...and that this is not only carcinogenic in humans but can cause headaches in some folks. Some beers are higher in nitrosamines than others. Also, beer that has sat too long after bottling, particularly in hot storage areas, can begin to form aldehydes as well...which can certainly cause headaches! We had a big problem with this during the Vietnam War and a brew from the USA called Carling Black Label was one of the worst culprits. The PX was giving it away if you came and picked it up in bulk. After sampling this stuff, we began leaving it around the AO hoping the enemy might stumble upon it and drink themselves silly :D

U lot are funny.

I drank that last chang only because i have 2 and cant be fuc_ked to go and get anymore. im at home.

well i just opened the 2nd bottle and its tastes like chang, not chang with chlorine.

My point is y every now and again does this aroy mak mak taste happen?

Singha tastes like singha, leo leo, heinken heinken, etc etc.

BUT

chang sometimes not like chang????

Anyway i think i answer my thread b4, i guess they tend not to take the chlorine out of there water when brewing, shame to spoil a nice beer

Carling Black Label is an English beer, actually "Beer" is the wrong word because it is so weak in strength that is is little more than brown water.

Anyway, are we really having a discussion about the flavour of beer Chang?

Surely how the stuff tastes is not the point of the stuff, its the effect that people buy it for.

Carling Black Label is an English beer, actually "Beer" is the wrong word because it is so weak in strength that is is little more than brown water.

Surely how the stuff tastes is not the point of the stuff, its the effect that people buy it for.

haha of course the affect but the taste has to be good too.

saying that...

Its tasted to artifical i necked it and it made me feel a little bit sick, once that feeling wore off im feeling a little bit tipsy :o

Edited by BygonKeaw

U lot are funny.

I drank that last chang only because i have 2 and cant be fuc_ked to go and get anymore. im at home.

well i just opened the 2nd bottle and its tastes like chang, not chang with chlorine.

My point is y every now and again does this aroy mak mak taste happen?

Singha tastes like singha, leo leo, heinken heinken, etc etc.

BUT

chang sometimes not like chang????

Anyway i think i answer my thread b4, i guess they tend not to take the chlorine out of there water when brewing, shame to spoil a nice beer

Well that might suggest you have a minor nasal problem, have you?

What food are you eating with it too? maybe that;s effecting the taste.

I think Carling Black Label actually started in Canada - named after Carling Bassett, the ex tennis player and minor actress, daughter of the brewery's owner.

She was always on my favourites list: rich, fit - in so many ways, and her dad owned a brewery - what more could a man ask for :o

They steralise the bottles with chlorine and if they are not cleaned out properly after the sterilisation process there is a residual chlorine taste left in the bottle which passes to the beer.