Thai Family

designersing

Edited because i forgot to say my missus is well educated and thai/chinese. The car i was driving was a brand new merc bought as a gift from her papa.

Of course she is; you will fit in well in these parts, as 95% of the TV membership are married to rich Thai- Chinese. :o

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped at some traffic lights in bkk, opened the window and bought some of those nuts for 20 baht. my missus laughed and said "farang kee nok" lights went green and about 100m down the road i opened the window and threw them out, childish yes but i took it as a insult and im 100% sure my missus didnt think i knew what it translated to.

Farang kee nok is a insult.

Edited because i forgot to say my missus is well educated and thai/chinese. The car i was driving was a brand new merc bought as a gift from her papa.

Sounds like a match made in heaven. Bet she said Farang Jai Ron (ฝรั่งใจรอ้น) under her breath when you were through with your temper tantrum.

I dont know what jai ron so i may ask her if i can be bothered, but why type it also in thai? showing off??

I bought some nuts for 20 baht i can only assume she called me a tight bastard in thai. ok maybe i shouldnt of thrown them out the window but she made the point that im farang and cant buy cheap things so i went straight out and blew 2000 baht on beer all for myself.

Have you ever heard of the word "teasing"? It's not just applicable to the western world, although I'd be concerned if it was said in a certain context, and would not be happy if my 'ball and chain's' family were saying it.

As for the 2,000 baht on beer for yourself, bit of a lightweight then. :D:o

Edited by mrtoad

Racist or not, you will always be a farang here in Thailand. Yes, they do enjoy making fun of you.

I went to a GF's "family estate" about 2 to 3 hours drive from Bangkok. Basically in the middle of nowhere. My GF requested I buy a gold ring for her Mother for 4,000 baht. While we were there, I was exposed to the usual jerking around which I expected. There was once another farang in the village that was named Martin. Since then, every farang is called Martin. That's just one small example. When we left, her Mother made a remark concerning the ring and that I was cheap. I'm familiar with that word. I told her Mother that when I come next time, I'm bringing her a ring on wheels because it will be so fuc_king huge, she'll need the wheels to be able to walk. It's not uncommon, when you're the odd man out, to get jerked off.

Hehe and you see nothing wrong with being the family ATM right? And to add insult to injury when they demanded a gold ring from you and when you dutifully rushed to buy it she complained it wasnt big enough and you are a cheap bastage.... my friend...... there are nicer families and sex toys that will steal your money in a nicer way, I suggest for the sake of your self respect you find one of those.

Your mistaken with ฝรั่งขี้งก.

If you go to the OP's 1st post, he writes 'farang kii nok' not 'farang kii ngok', so not sure where you got the 'ngok' from.

BTW ฝรั่งขี้งก would be a stingy farang.

I've heard Thais call other Thais ฝรั่งขี้นก . :o

See this earlier thread where rikker and meadish gave a nice explanation:

ฝรั่งขี้นก "farang khii nok" is a fixed phrase--the ขี้นก part doesn't detach. It comes from the name of a variety of guava with red flesh inside. Originally referred to Thais who acted like Westerners (because they were the same on the outside different on the inside). Then came to mean Thais with bad manners, like a Westerner (i.e. breaking Thai decorum, much like a farang who didn't know proper Thai manners). Now it has come to mean a farang with bad manners, or a farang who frequents whorehouses, or Eurotrash farangs, etc.

So, nowadays, it's mainly used in a derogatory fashion to farangs. The OP is farang, not Thai, so not quite sure why you bring up the older 'Thai acting with (bad) farang manners' definition?

Standing at the urinal in bamrungrad hospital with a shirt and tie on(expensive ones too, well ironed), a couple of Thais came in and either side of me one said "farang kee nok".

I asked him to repeat himself and of course was shocked and denied saying it. If it wasn't for the fact that my wife was giving birth, I would have made a bigger scene about it.

Presumably you weren't too happy about being called a farang khee nok here too, because it's derogatory.

Edited by merck

perhaps they just don't like me

:D

lol Maigo, come on give me a break, I can take a joke, I'd just like to know if others have had similar experiences? :D

check out this website and relax:

http://reallifethailand.blogspot.com/2007/...ng-kii-nok.html

I don't have a problem with "falang". Being described as something like a "white skinned french barbarian" is rasict. Give me a bloody break. The poofs are running riot. :o

Conan with a club beating ling lek mai... "Ughhhh!!!"

But if the 'ki nok' is coming with bad vibes then grab your club Conan. Some thai need some educating.

I've let it be known that I dont like it, and I feel like I have just lost, even explaining this to my wife, oh well, I guess she can't understand it fully, I just wish she'd understand I don't understand why people should feel the need to put people down. I never did.

Just the other day I was watching a horror movie with the girlfriend. The people in the movies car broke down and instead of walking on the road for help they went into the haunted ochird. The girlfriend said to me why do they do stupid like that, then blirted out Farang. I looked at her in discust and said it's just a movie, Thai movies are stupid too. She said back to me ya but sometimes I just don't understand Farang. So I think alot of the time it's easier for them to put us down instead of try to understand us. I know I do the same thing to them sometimes, but ya it's not right.

Do what my best mate did:

His Thai wife often called him kee-nok/ki-nheo (stingy) jokingly (although she meant it once or twice).

One day, it annoyed him enough to pull up a spreadsheet and add up all the money he gave her or spent on her behalf.

And showed the itemized list to her.

She said: "I've never had a man count everything he has given me."

His reply: "I've never had a woman called me kee-nok. If your friends or family ever call me that again, I'll show them this spreadsheet."

She never called him that again.

And now has a new term for him: farang jai-dee :o

A little background: I've been living in Thailand for a while, I work in Singapore, I'm married, my wife is Thai, educated and pretty cool. Everytime I've gone to her parents house, I have done my best to speak Thai, to be polite and respect them in every best way I can and know and accept this isnt an easy culture to understand however I treat others with the respect I wish to be treated, this is the way I have been brought up. It started a while back at the family home, words said to me indirectly, such as farang kii nok, and others which I don't know as they have a countryside accent and I cant understand. I used to smile and brush them off, maybe its said in jest? However nowadays I have given all excuses possible not to go the parents home, they make me feel uncomfortable and the wife is always nagging at me to go with her. Maybe its inside my mind and I shouldnt be bothered with silly name calling, or perhaps its racism or perhaps they just don't like me, either way I'd like to know what you guys think.....any experiences with this? Thanks in adv!

I think it is insulting and racist pure and simple, whatever the politically correct 'culturally sensitive' farangs make of it.

Racist or not, you will always be a farang here in Thailand. Yes, they do enjoy making fun of you.

I went to a GF's "family estate" about 2 to 3 hours drive from Bangkok. Basically in the middle of nowhere. My GF requested I buy a gold ring for her Mother for 4,000 baht. While we were there, I was exposed to the usual jerking around which I expected. There was once another farang in the village that was named Martin. Since then, every farang is called Martin. That's just one small example. When we left, her Mother made a remark concerning the ring and that I was cheap. I'm familiar with that word. I told her Mother that when I come next time, I'm bringing her a ring on wheels because it will be so fuc_king huge, she'll need the wheels to be able to walk. It's not uncommon, when you're the odd man out, to get jerked off.

Hehe and you see nothing wrong with being the family ATM right? And to add insult to injury when they demanded a gold ring from you and when you dutifully rushed to buy it she complained it wasnt big enough and you are a cheap bastage.... my friend...... there are nicer families and sex toys that will steal your money in a nicer way, I suggest for the sake of your self respect you find one of those.

You have much to learn my son. I suggest for the sake of your self-respect, you stop putting Hehe in your posts.

I understand Thai and if my wife said that to me, I'd tell her to get out the car.

Well educated, my arse.

You've hit my mood about the whole issue. I tend to take the macho stance that it is the man's job to frame the issues. If he wants to take it on the chin and laugh it off, then he is the one creating that space. If he doesn't want the insults, he creates a different situation. He doesn't go around asking if it is ok and appropriate or not to be pissed off, or whether he should laugh it off. He tells his woman what is ok, and what is not ok. He is the one responsible for that decision. And if there is disagreement about that, then maybe someone else might be more agreeable.

I know that is not in line with an egalitarian viewpoint, but what being egalitarian has to do with any social relationship is beyond me. Man, be the man.

Edited by xsplat

I wonder if me and henryalleman are the only thai speakers on this thread. probably.

:D:D:D

:o

I'd be embarrased if I had been married to a Thai for 30 years and couldn't speak more than 10 words in Thai.

She put it down to being the same word used for some fruit, I'm none the wiser!

Dude, that's her trying to get her way out of insulting you - why would she call you a type of fruit for buying peanuts?

And btw, it's "farang kee ngok(not nok)" that is said. ขี้งก

"farang kee nok" is used for scruffy looking Westerners like in backpackers - also used for Thai people who act like a westerner.

I only explaine to him that kee ngok has differennt meanings amongst them is one kind of fruit, this was not sugesting that she call him like that fruit.

You do use

Dude, that's her trying to get her way out of insulting you - why would she call you a type of fruit for buying peanuts?

"farang kee nok" is used for scruffy looking Westerners like in backpackers - also used for Thai people who act like a westerner.

I only explaine to him that kee ngok has differennt meanings amongst them is one kind of fruit, this was not sugesting that she call him like that fruit.

You do use an excellent Thai teaching website and dictionary :o , next time you should use the sound also :D

Re:

Kii Nok is probably what you are, I am for sure, it simply means you are a tightwad, and why not? you have worked hard for your income, and you don't want it to fritter away needlessly, All Thai Wives will try it on continously, for them it's only natural to spend any spare cash, and as long as you are part of the family, they naturally see your money as that which should be spent.

Regarding the other things you are hearing but cannot understand, pick out one word and repeat it back to them, ask them what it means, I am sure if it's a bad word, they won't repeat it again.

Probably in this regard, you are being paranoid a little bit! again this is only natural, accept that you will never fully understand Thai, so let the supposedly 'bad' words pass by with no comment.

By the Way, I have been in Thailand for 16 years, and I still don't "know it all"

Regards,

KiwiJor. :o

obviously the parents are nasty people.

forget culture,, insulting close relations is not acceptable in any society.

next time they ask if you want to eat, say yes, and ask them to order the super supreme from an expensive pizza delivery company.

see what happens...

act superior, be superior, because you are (in the stupid thai culture thing).

you have lowered your status to a point where they feel superior, big mistake,

restore your status or the problems will get worse.

don't forget..

"i have the money, therefore, i am the boss"

But if you assert yourself on that basis.....then don't spend.... :o

You are indeed correctly termed....farang kee nok... :D

maybe he still thinks he is with his mates in some sleazy beer bar in Pattaya telling how he is THE MAN, but can only have some girl when he put the money in Mama San hands. :D

A little background: I've been living in Thailand for a while, I work in Singapore, I'm married, my wife is Thai, educated and pretty cool. Everytime I've gone to her parents house, I have done my best to speak Thai, to be polite and respect them in every best way I can and know and accept this isnt an easy culture to understand however I treat others with the respect I wish to be treated, this is the way I have been brought up. It started a while back at the family home, words said to me indirectly, such as farang kii nok, and others which I don't know as they have a countryside accent and I cant understand. I used to smile and brush them off, maybe its said in jest? However nowadays I have given all excuses possible not to go the parents home, they make me feel uncomfortable and the wife is always nagging at me to go with her. Maybe its inside my mind and I shouldnt be bothered with silly name calling, or perhaps its racism or perhaps they just don't like me, either way I'd like to know what you guys think.....any experiences with this? Thanks in adv!

When I visit my wifes family one of the first things I do is when Mum is alone in the kitchen I quickly and discreetly go in and slip her a little baht in her hand ,, only about 3000 or 5000 ,, put my fingers to my lips as to indicate to her hush hush ,, she puts in away and there is never any mention of this between my wife and I or her. She is not rich but is not poor,,she does not need this money but loves the little bit of lovr they derive from this act in their culture.. Mabe if you have not tried this give it a go ,good luck ,, I know in the west this kind of behaviour would be seen as insulting ,,,,but we have to wear the other shoes in the far east to understand them.. Good luck mate

I stopped at some traffic lights in bkk, opened the window and bought some of those nuts for 20 baht. my missus laughed and said "farang kee nok" lights went green and about 100m down the road i opened the window and threw them out, childish yes but i took it as a insult and im 100% sure my missus didnt think i knew what it translated to.

Totally agree with you 100% - farang kee nok is an major insult = i used to hear it often when I stopped giving my ex money or less than she was expecting - it is a low class term usually give by low class uneducated thais - and they have many phrases that are used to insult people -- know most of them - but i would not accept being called this from anyone - and i would not be visiting any family who refered to me in this way - wonder how they would would react if you called the father or anyone a buffalo -- stick with your principles --

So are we agreed that sticky shit whitey is a bigger insult than bird shit whitey, or vice versa? Or are they equally insulting? They do sound more insulting TRANSLATED, now don't they?

In Pattaya, I feel these terms often are used to point out farangs that are not stupid easy naive tourist marks, in other words, don't bother with that farang, too much work to sucker.

Edited by Jingthing

Um... getting back to the OP- since he pretty clearly said he wasn't SURE what was actually said, and it is evident from this thread that there is some confusion over what might be said and what it might mean...

I would suggest that OP doesn't have enough information to make a decision, and he needs to give his in-laws some more time and other chances to show how they relate to him. To make a decision not to meet them based on one comment he isn't sure about which may have several meanings depending on context seems, well, premature.

Jingthing Posted Today, 2009-01-18 08:58:07

So are we agreed that sticky shit whitey is a bigger insult than bird shit whitey, or vice versa? Or are they equally insulting? They do sound more insulting TRANSLATED, now don't they?

In Pattaya, I feel these terms often are used to point out farangs that are not stupid easy naive tourist marks, in other words, don't bother with that farang, too much work to sucker.

:o So are we agreed that sticky shit whitey is a bigger insult than bird shit whitey, or vice versa? :D

It depends on my mood/where/how and who says these phrases as to my reaction.

OP

I think being white caucasion you are generically kii nok in the mindset of the majority of Thais..

Reverse thinking

Dont all white people think Thais are mail order brides?

when quite simply they are not.

(i call my wifey Thai mail order bride for fun, i'm sure most people think it and my friends say it sometimes, its all in fun not malicious)

My Opinion

Friends/family saying kii nok is fun and joking

Strangers it would normally be seen as an insult. majority of time.

always rules to the exception.

Sounds like a match made in heaven. Bet she said Farang Jai Ron (ฝรั่งใจรอ้น) under her breath when you were through with your temper tantrum.

I dont know what jai ron so i may ask her if i can be bothered, but why type it also in thai? showing off??

I bought some nuts for 20 baht i can only assume she called me a tight bastard in thai. ok maybe i shouldnt of thrown them out the window but she made the point that im farang and cant buy cheap things so i went straight out and blew 2000 baht on beer all for myself.

Have you ever heard of the word "teasing"? It's not just applicable to the western world, although I'd be concerned if it was said in a certain context, and would not be happy if my 'ball and chain's' family were saying it.

As for the 2,000 baht on beer for yourself, bit of a lighteight then. :D:o

lightweight? even if i said i spent the 2000 baht on beer chang and local thai whiskey and consumed it all in 48 hours to myself?

I think not, alcholic maybe but not lightweight mate

would your missus or her family be insulted if you announced they are thai kee nok?

It makes me laugh all you guys trying to say its not a insult. hahahaha

I suppose your the same guys who marry ex bargirls and say but she is different. lol

Oh shit im talking silly again 95% of tv members have thai/chinese or hiso gfs like me.

Edited by BygonKeaw

Hm I'm convinced, so I now recommend anyone who hears this phrase instantly file charges against the "attacker" or "attackers" and do everything they can do never meet them again.

Other phrases we must unite to defend ourselves from lest the racist bigots finish off political correctness once and for all:

"farang"

"white guy"

"big farang"

"small farang"

"middle sized farang"

Infact I strongly suggest if anyone dares to acknowledge we are not in all respects exactly the same as every Thai person that we all leave - that would show 'em. Yea.

lightweight? even if i said i spent the 2000 baht on beer chang and local thai whiskey and consumed it all in 48 hours to myself?

I think not, alcholic maybe but not lightweight mate

:o

.... .but if you did drink Chang and local thai whiskey, I reckon you'd be struggling to post on here for a few days.

Infact I strongly suggest if anyone dares to acknowledge we are not in all respects exactly the same as every Thai person that we all leave - that would show 'em. Yea.

I guess you are trying to be funny, but some things are universal. Most people don't enjoy being called a SHIT. Agreed?

would your missus or her family be insulted if you announced they are thai kee nok?

It makes me laugh all you guys trying to say its not a insult. hahahaha

I suppose your the same guys who marry ex bargirls and say but she is different. lol

Oh shit im talking silly again 95% of tv members have thai/chinese or hiso gfs like me.

God, there are some sensitive souls here, aren't there?

Firstly, it would depend who is saying it, where and in what context. A standing joke in my family is calling my old man tight wad, scrooge, miser etc, etc. It's a standing joke, because in fact he isn't. If you go around looking for the worst in what everyone says, which, for some reason there seems to be a few sensitive one's here, you are going to have a failrly miserable life. Lighten up a little. :D

However if it was in a different context, and not said as a joke, then grow some balls and spell it out to them that you don't find it particularly amusing or polite. :o

Secondly, you're little swipe at the make up of Thai Visa posters, is total drivel, just becasue they don't agree with what you are saying. Personally, I don't understand why anyone actually has to make a statement about their gf and their etnicity, in the end on the birth certificate and passport it says Thai. :D

Finally, what model Merc does she own? :D