Convictions And Visas

cuddleypete

Hi, I know a nasty peice of work who has been in Thailand for over 3 months, he has been going over most years, he has a criminal conviction for assault on a child, what he is doing there I am unsure but i feel very uncomfortable knowing he is there. My question is, who can I inform of my worries ? Is he allowed to be over there with a conviction, with inprisonment, in the UK 6 Years Ago ?

Edited by cuddleypete

Any UK citizen with a valid passport can enter Thailand for a short stay on a Visa Waiver, subject to the discretion of the immigration officer at the point of entry. Generally speaking, they can enter if the database shows no open warrants for arrest. Permission for longer stays can be obtained in advance or while in Thailand; such permission may or may not involve police record checks, which may or may not be thorough, and which may or may not affect the granting of permission to stay.

So, to answer your question, a person with a criminal conviction who is not currently "wanted" could very easily be legally present in Thailand. However, there are quite a few foreign government and non-government representatives here who provide the Thai police with lists of known and suspected sex offenders.

If you have specific information about this person's activities in Thailand, you could spend some time on the Internet searching for an appropriate organization (UK gov't, UN org, private org) to contact. Your efforts might have a result.

If you do not have factual information about his current activities, but your aim is to make trouble for this person anyway, go ahead then, but first consider your motives and keep in mind that "what goes around comes around". As we say in Thailand, "up to you".

Edited by mahjongguy

A person can be denied entry or expelled if the Thai government consideres that person a risk to the security of the state or to public safety. You can always inform thai immigration about this person and see if they take it up.

I would recommend the way mahjongguy suggests and inform an NGO about this person. Some already have very good contacts with the Thai authorities and can also provide the necesarry background information about the conviction.

One organisation you can start with is ECPAT: http://www.ecpat.org.uk/

I would suggest that unless you have some solid evidence of wrongdoing by this 'nasty piece of work' that you keep your insinuations to yourself.

A conviction is normaly very solid evidence. But that is another reason why going to a NGO is the best, they will check it out first.

Hi, I know a nasty peice of work who has been in Thailand for over 3 months, he has been going over most years, he has a criminal conviction for assault on a child, what he is doing there I am unsure but i feel very uncomfortable knowing he is there. My question is, who can I inform of my worries ? Is he allowed to be over there with a conviction, with inprisonment, in the UK 6 Years Ago ?

I hit the little ba*tard next door to me when he throw stones at my car one day. His parents threathened to have me up on assault charges.

Difference between this and sexual assault, a big difference.

Perhaps you should take a closer look at your motives before taking some of the actions recommended ASSUMING that it was just regular run of the mill, kick the little brat in the ass assault.

If someone is travelling to any country outside the UK for the purpose of performing an illegal act with a child and you have firm evidence or reasonable suspicion then I suggest informing your local police department.

This guys name is not Gary by the way ?

I would suggest that unless you have some solid evidence of wrongdoing by this 'nasty piece of work' that you keep your insinuations to yourself.

A conviction is normaly very solid evidence. But that is another reason why going to a NGO is the best, they will check it out first.

Uh, wait a second. The conviction was for something in the past. Time served. Done.

The (extremely uncomfortable) issue here is what might this fellow be doing now, and what to do about that?

Sure, sex offenders often re-offend so they do deserve ongoing attention, but for all we know this guy might just be enjoying the peace and quiet of a beach far from the vigilantes and mob mentality back home. While we all want to see children protected from predators, we serve society best by retaining a presumption of innocence.

I understand the Op didn't make it clear if the person in question is a child molester. A NGO will look in to that and see if the person warrents action.

I also understand the conviction is something of the past. But if he is a child molester the authorities should know about him. At this moment they don't know about him and don't give him any attention.

If the case warrents it, they will give him attention in the form of expelling him. I don't have any problem with that when someone is a a danger to the public. That is not a mob mentality, that is protection your citizens.

If the person to whom the OP is referring is a child molester, then he, the OP can inform the British Police that the individual is traveling to Thailand and let them use the UK laws to prevent the individual from traveling (as with a certain Glam Rock Star).

If the person to whom the OP is referring has been convicted and served his sentence for a crime of violence, then, while non of us might like what the guy has done, he has nevertheless served his time. The OP mentions that this individual served time 6 years ago, next year that will be seven years and hence his conviction will be subject to the Criminal Rehabilitation laws (essentially wiping the slate clean for all but a very restricted number of jobs/public duties).

We have to accept that Thailand does attract some nasty individuals, time served convicts are among those. As are people who would like to use the past history of others against him.

I suggest the best action for the OP is to get a life, or a hobby, or a dog - Just find something to occupy you instead of worrying your head about what other people are alleged to have done in the past and alleged to have served time for.

Bad people often change for the better... You should regard this as a message of hope, you can change too.

Edited by GuestHouse

I would imagine that if the person in question has a conviction for a sexual assault on a child, he would be on the sex offenders register and the UK Police would know where he is.

If the UK authorities thought the guy was a threat, they would probably inform the Thai authorities.

If it wasn't a sexual assault, leave the guy alone. He's served his time.

Edited by Shrubbery

Have to agree that if anyone has served their time for an offence (unless a sexual offence and liable to offend again in a sexual assault) should be given the chance to rehabilitate and be left alone to do so.

If he is a normal person and went off the rails once, he should not be punished or hounded for the rest of his life. We can all make mistakes. It depends if we learn from our past or not.

Therefore unless - as stated previously - you know he is committing assaults against children, leave him be.

Are you so ultra perfect that you have never done anything wrong? Think about it.

I would imagine that if the person in question has a conviction for a sexual assault on a child, he would be on the sex offenders register and the UK Police would know where he is.

If the UK authorities thought the guy was a threat, they would probably inform the Thai authorities.

If it wasn't a sexual assault, leave the guy alone. He's served his time.

If the guy was on the sex offenders register,he can be refused permission to travel and have his passport revoked,

just as they have done with Gary Glitter.

If he is not on the register and just an ex crim leave him be, he has served his time

colino

It's a little strange that most people seem to assume this guy is some kind of paedophile when the only conviction mentioned was assault.

Assault means he assaulted the kid, that could be anything from a small push to a few punches, anything more serious than this (actual injuries) and you move onto different charges like wounding with intent, etc.