Changing From Tourist Visa To Retirement Extension

Well, that part went very smoothly. I got a 60 day Tourist Visa. In the process I met up with a service in Penang that does all the leg work, including transport from the airport, hotel room for two nights, and doing the drop off and pick up at the Consulate, with the whole package costing 500 RM (5,000 baht), worth it to me.

I would like to ask about the next step in getting changed to a Retirement Extension. I will ask by describing my situation and my understanding of what I need to do and asking for a yeah or nay.

-My new, single entry, 60 day Tourist Visa is stamped "Used", having been used on January 15 to enter Thailand from Malaysia at Suvarnabhumi.

-The stamp in my passport says "Admitted until March 13". The "Visa Class" space is handwritten in Thai.

-My Thai bank account with 800,000+ baht achieves 60 days seasoning on February 23.

-Does a Tourist Visa have to have 21 days remaining on it in order to obtain an Extension?

-If so I would have to get the extension by February 21, two days before my bank account is seasoned.

Here is what I plan to do:

-On February 16 (arbitrary date, but assuring that I still have 21 days left), I will apply for an Extension of my Tourist Visa at Thai Immigration in Bangkok. I am targeting a Monday for my convenience, but I can travel a different day if need be.

-Then, after February 23, with my bank account seasoned, I will apply for the Retirement Extension of Stay.

Am I missing anything? Any other pitfalls to watch for or general advice?

Thanks again for this helpful forum.

Tom

Edited by tjansen

You have to go to Immigration and change your Tourist Visa to a Non Imm O Visa with at least 21 days remaining. The fee is 2,000 Baht. The Non Imm O Visa will give you 90 days.

With this Non Imm O VISA you can apply for the 12 month extension within the final 30 days. 1,900 Baht.

Sometimes they will do the whole process in one go but usuall you have to wait until the final 30 days of the Non O.

Well, that part went very smoothly. I got a 60 day Tourist Visa. In the process I met up with a service in Penang that does all the leg work, including transport from the airport, hotel room for two nights, and doing the drop off and pick up at the Consulate, with the whole package costing 500 RM (5,000 baht), worth it to me.

I would like to ask about the next step in getting changed to a Retirement Extension. I will ask by describing my situation and my understanding of what I need to do and asking for a yeah or nay.

-My new, single entry, 60 day Tourist Visa is stamped "Used", having been used on January 15 to enter Thailand from Malaysia at Suvarnabhumi.

-The stamp in my passport says "Admitted until March 13". The "Visa Class" space is handwritten in Thai.

-My Thai bank account with 800,000+ baht achieves 60 days seasoning on February 23.

-Does a Tourist Visa have to have 21 days remaining on it in order to obtain an Extension?

-If so I would have to get the extension by February 21, two days before my bank account is seasoned.

Here is what I plan to do:

-On February 16 (arbitrary date, but assuring that I still have 21 days left), I will apply for an Extension of my Tourist Visa at Thai Immigration in Bangkok. I am targeting a Monday for my convenience, but I can travel a different day if need be.

-Then, after February 23, with my bank account seasoned, I will apply for the Retirement Extension of Stay.

Am I missing anything? Any other pitfalls to watch for or general advice?

Thanks again for this helpful forum.

Tom

Understood. Thank you.

Is a Medical Certificate, "ministerial regulations copy no. 14 (BE2535) required for Extension of Permission for retirement? A form I got at Thai Immigration in Bangkok this month has it listed s No.4 on the list of requirements."

And do I need a letter from the US Embassy confirming my bank account, or only a recent letter from my bank and the copied bank book pages? I am not using pension or income, only bank balance. Thanks.

Tom