Thai Bars In Tokyo?

RY12

Hi all, I'm recently coming out of a slump in LOS and am in Japan for a while, I was curious if anyone knew if there were any establishments here in Tokyo that have specifically Thai company for gaijin like myself. I haven't actually been out on the night scene for years, so a tame place would be preferable, the only place I've heard about in Tokyo is Roppongi and that sounds really rough (sleeping pills in drinks, theft, outrageous prices) but maybe it's no worse than parts of bkk? thanks :o

Hi all, I'm recently coming out of a slump in LOS and am in Japan for a while, I was curious if anyone knew if there were any establishments here in Tokyo that have specifically Thai company for gaijin like myself. I haven't actually been out on the night scene for years, so a tame place would be preferable, the only place I've heard about in Tokyo is Roppongi and that sounds really rough (sleeping pills in drinks, theft, outrageous prices) but maybe it's no worse than parts of bkk? thanks :o

Never seen too many Thai girls in Roppongi as it happens, mostly Gaijin girls from UK, USA, Canada, Aus, NZ and eastern Europe a few Filipinos too, and of course Chinese and Japanese.

Yes Roppongi is expensive, 1000 Yen, 370 Baht a drink in a bar, and thats a normal bar, the clubs can be a real rip off.

There must be Thai places but I have not seen them in Roppongi.

Yep, Tokyo has everything that Bangkok has and more, it just that it's so expensive compared with Thailand.

Post here if you find a place!

Don't know about Tokyo.

If you want to take the train to Yokohama, only about 20-30 minutes from Tokyo Yamato eki, there is a good Thai restaurant on the top floor of the shopping area above the main train station.

If you are more adventurous, there is a large Thai/Lao community to the south and west of Yokohama, and of course many bars either staffed by Thai women or frequented by Thai/Lao people. They are in and around the US Navy air station at Atsugi and will be frequented by sailors when the fleet is in, but can be a lot of fun. The last trains back to Tokyo are just after midnight, so you could get in a healthy night of drinking and still make the last couple of hours at Roppongi.

For what it's worth, 1000 Yen for a drink is pretty standard in most bars that I've been to in the areas of Tokyo, Yokota, Yokohama, Atsugi and Yokosuka. On the plus side, the drinks are always free-poured and usually more like a double.

The biggest pain the current exchange rate, in the 90-something Yen, compared to 110-115 Yen per dollar when I was there last.

Edit:

PS.

Roppongi is in the area where all the embassies, western banks, and some western businesses are located. It is an expat haven and you will see many Irish & British themed bars catering to the football crowd, as well as dozens of other bars catering to western clientele. Although it was a while ago, the only places I knew of where you could find trouble would be the Yakuza-run strip joints and other places where there are touts outside calling you to come in.

As an aside note, if this is your first time to Japan, you will find some places that are no Gaijin (westerners), Japanese only. Just accept it for what it is and move on to the next place.

Edited by Spee