Driving On The Outermost Right Lane Not Allowed For Motorcycles

robblok

I just came back from the theory part of getting a Thai motorcycle license and during that course it was told that you are not allowed with your motorcycle on the outermost right lane. I wonder why this is many of the bigger bikes go faster as cars and in heavy BKK traffic even the small bikes keep up with the cars. Is this just a way to make money for the police when they feel like it. I am inclined to think that way because normally i see motorcycles even in the outermost lane.

I just came back from the theory part of getting a Thai motorcycle license and during that course it was told that you are not allowed with your motorcycle on the outermost right lane. I wonder why this is many of the bigger bikes go faster as cars and in heavy BKK traffic even the small bikes keep up with the cars. Is this just a way to make money for the police when they feel like it. I am inclined to think that way because normally i see motorcycles even in the outermost lane.

drive in any lane you want, when you see the police dodge them or pay 100 baht

Yes it's true, stupid rule same as in Thailand you're not allowed to drive anything without a shirt on, or not leave your property without underwear. I always ride the lane I want and honestly I never been in big shit for it, they stop you in Bangkok and Pattaya for it, the provinces else I never been stopped for it at all.

Yes it's true, stupid rule same as in Thailand you're not allowed to drive anything without a shirt on, or not leave your property without underwear. I always ride the lane I want and honestly I never been in big shit for it, they stop you in Bangkok and Pattaya for it, the provinces else I never been stopped for it at all.

Just had some friends beeing stopped and they had to pay up. I don't consider it serious problems but still its anoying.

Just had some friends beeing stopped and they had to pay up. I don't consider it serious problems but still its anoying.

Without shirts or underwear?

:o:D :D

And, if they were in the right lane, then they were going too slow....

:D :D :wai:

Same in Rayong PeaceBlondie, in my last 9 years here not been stopped once for it.

However mark my words ride without shirt on in the Provinces and you will be stopped sooner or later (I don't do it anyway but others do and get stopped for it), this is not an issue in Pattaya though. The underwear, well nobody ever asked me to pull off my pants to check it out yet, but the law is there crystal clear.

Cheers Bard

Same in Rayong PeaceBlondie, in my last 9 years here not been stopped once for it.

However mark my words ride without shirt on in the Provinces and you will be stopped sooner or later (I don't do it anyway but others do and get stopped for it), this is not an issue in Pattaya though. The underwear, well nobody ever asked me to pull off my pants to check it out yet, but the law is there crystal clear.

Cheers Bard

Is the underwear rule a misdemeanor or felony? I just want to know how much trouble I would get should anyone ever find out.....I always wondered why the wife gave me dirty looks when I was freeball'n; I was just trying to save her work on the wash.

Cheers Bard

Here in Bangkok and the outskirts of Bangkok (nonthaburi) you will get stopped. Thais and farang alike (actually more thais because there are more of them). But maybe they just stop small bikes. Saying that my friend did not drive fast enough is a bit crazy he always drives quite fast. I will just have to risk it because i really hate the other lanes cars always cut you off. I just like driving at the same speed as the rest of the fast traffic. Much easier.

It probably is an old law that hasn't been updated to take into account the bigger, faster bikes that are now more available.

Also, if they were to allow bikes into the right (fast lanes), how long before they were clogged with every piece of crap that still moves ? Ancient 50ccs, side-car carts and every other kind of mobile "accident waiting to happen" would be in every lane.

I think that is the same reasoning why bikes aren't allowed on the toll-ways. They could easily change the rule to allow 400cc+ bikes on, but eventually you'd find just about every kind of contraption out there, and no doubt the accident rates would soar.

It's a pain in the butt of course, but the rules are the rules. If you break them and get caught, smile, pay the fine and carry on. The good news is, they don't use "point" system or keep track of your offences, so there's little chance of ever having you license revoked (for minor offences at least).

Don't know about the point system, first year when you get the temporary license you might have to re-sit all again with a new temporary if you have to many offenses, hence it's recommended to pay on-site under table to avoid getting registered the first year. Also now with the 5 year licenses I heard people re-sitting on renewal not sure why but it could be due to some point system. If you have the lifetime license which they do not issue anymore, just do whatever nobody will hassle you at all.

Then again if you have to re-sit who cares it must be the easiest test I ever done in my life for driving...

The underwear law is punishable with fines and jail, can't imagine they bust anyone but flashers for it though which is probably what the law is for.

Cheers Bard

What if you ride in a shirt and underpants, nothing more? Just a thought...

I had to trail behind my boyfriend today, me on the CBR and him on a Honda Click automatic. Ughh. Being an older Thai, he rode in the left gutter all the way, 15 km. I could have done it twice as fast in the right lane.

What if you ride in a shirt and underpants, nothing more? Just a thought...

This should be OK, provided your in the left lane (maybe you can try and report back :o).

I've been pulled up many times, if there are 3 lanes, being in the middle is not acceptable, they want you in the left lane. The BIB in Bkk are big on this one and gather in packs waiting to pounce. It's good to know the common areas and avoid them during the middle of the day (when traffic is less busy).

"Running the Guantlet" of police blockades seems to be an accepted game. One rider gave two the slip, so the third one hit him on the head with the clipboard as he went passed.

Edited by Smithson

Depends on where you are, again provinces are way cheaper. Paid 80 baht for running red light, normally 100 - 200 is OK depending on the officer, where you get stopped and finally what you did wrong. Tip is never ever pull up a wallet filled with cash, take some scruffy 20's and 50's from your pocket which makes it look like that's all you got. Speaking Thai is a major bonus as you can joke with them and haggle the price.

For your guys who have been caught what was the fine ? (bribe)

You are allowed only in left lane. Usually the BiB are waiting after parked cars or street side restaurant that you have no other option than to go around using other lanes. Used to be 100 baht for years in BKK but few years ago they started to give them 50% of the ticket value back (to stop them to collect tea money) so they just started to collect 200 baht on the spot instead of waiting until end of the month to collect their 200 from the official ticket.

I saw someone stopped by the BIB on Sathorn road around 1pm, riding a rather large green ninja... was that anyone here? :D

Defo not me. I have never been stopped for this particular offense. Furthermore on a recent blast to Hua Hin. I overtook a copper riding a Bee Em on the outside lane. :D Mind you I did squeeze the throttle some more to add more space between him and me. A minute of travelling at 260km/h soon sorted out any worries. :o

I've yet to be stopped by BiB in BKK proper and use the middle and right lanes to pass quite a bit. That is only four months though. But seven + years in Hua Hin never got pulled over for being in the fast lane. Did get pulled over for being on the highway part of Rama II a couple of weeks ago- right where you enter from Suksawat. GF talked to them, paid 100 baht and was on my way in 3 minutes. Was going north on Ratchada today and just past Robinsons there were about 10 of them out pulling over every small bike they could and a few odd taxis and pick-ups. Waved me right thru- just happened I was in the left lane anyway. .

Regarding the fines, B200 seems to be the norm if you give it to them, much less hassle than the B400 and getting your license back from the station.

Speaking Thai may or may not help, I'm always reluctant to talk to them at all. My wife never gets involved because the BIB try get her to be a go between. When stopped on the bike she walks away and plays with her phone. In the car she looks out the passenger window. Cops hate it, one even asked if she was Japanese!