Anyone Recommend What To Order At A Jewish Place

Maccheroncini

Jerusalem Falafel is a lovely restaurant with great food. If you like food from that part of the world, there is also the Garden Restaurant by the Lotus Hotel (off Chang Peuk Road) which serves lovely Lebanese cuisine (you can order via Meals on Wheels too).

Where is the Lotus Hotel? (How far up Chang Phuak Rd?)

Jerusalem Falafel is a lovely restaurant with great food. If you like food from that part of the world, there is also the Garden Restaurant by the Lotus Hotel (off Chang Peuk Road) which serves lovely Lebanese cuisine (you can order via Meals on Wheels too).

Where is the Lotus Hotel? (How far up Chang Phuak Rd?)

I've heard the "mince" is good there.. It's a left hand turn if your heading out of town, a few hundred meters before you hit the superhighway.

I am sure that Chabab in Chiang Mai would welcome anyone who wishes to eat there.

I suppose you are right. However, people should be aware that the Chabad Houses offer food for religious reasons, not to offer an ethnic eating experience (let's go have a taste of Jewry) to the general public like a regular restaurant. They exist first and foremost as ultra religious missions for traveling Jews and also local resident observant Jewish families. I won't get into their politics because the mods don't like that, but most of you will probably not like their politics either. I am a non-religious Jew and wouldn't go near such a place any more than I would go eat at a Mormon activist restaurant if they had them. I might go to a secular "Little Utah Restaurant", I hope the difference is clear.

Edited by Jingthing

I suppose you are right. However, people should be aware that the Chabad Houses offer food for religious reasons, not to offer an ethnic eating experience (let's go have a taste of Jewry) to the general public like a regular restaurant. They exist first and foremost as ultra religious missions for traveling Jews and also local resident observant Jewish families. I won't get into their politics because the mods don't like that, but most of you will probably not like their politics either. I am a non-religious Jew and wouldn't go near such a place any more than I would go eat at a Mormon activist restaurant if they had them. I might go to a secular "Little Utah Restaurant", I hope the difference is clear.

I am a totally non observing Jew but go to Chabad occasionally for Saturday lunch. I enjoy the singing and it brings back is a bit of childhood cultural nostalgia. I find the current Rabbi at the Chiang Mai Chabad to be a lovely gentleman who has never discussed or imposed his religious or political convictions on me and assume other regulars. I believe a good number of the regulars in CM and the passing Israeli travelers are far from being religious.

Being an equal opportunist, I also make a weekly visit to the Hindi and Sikh temples where I enjoy their ceremony and vegetarian meal after.

Life is good here in Chiang Mai. :o

I believe a good number of the regulars in CM and the passing Israeli travelers are far from being religious.

That is true, but their purpose is purely MISSIONARY towards Jews. I didn't say they were pushy but they didn't come to Thailand to open a restaurant for foodies, trust me on that. Better yet, ask the rebbe. To the secular Jews, they are hoping you come back into the fold eventually. I think they do some good work, especially helping out Israeli backpackers who get into trouble abroad. For more background on the Chabad missions, check out this Israeli movie called Flipping Out:

http://www.jewishpost.com/culture/Former-I...t-in-India.html

Edited by Jingthing

I believe a good number of the regulars in CM and the passing Israeli travelers are far from being religious.

That is true, but their purpose is purely MISSIONARY towards Jews. I didn't say they were pushy but they didn't come to Thailand to open a restaurant, trust me on that. To the secular Jews, they are hoping you come back into the fold eventually.

Have to agree with you on those points. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I went yesterday to Chabad house after reading this topic. The food is good and only at fraction of cost at Jerusalem Falafel. The people are nice, but waitress mistook about quantity of order, so it's better to check. There are no private table, but 3 long lines of tables.

I went yesterday to Chabad house after reading this topic. There are no private table, but 3 long lines of tables.

If there is a large group dining together, the staff will combine a number of tables in a long line. Normally the small square tables are doubled up and spread equally across the eating area. Each is considered private and are not generally shared.

Edited by vagabond48