Palm Construction

Hi,

Do any of you good fellows have any experience of dealing with or partnering with Palm Construction? I understand from a bit of digging that they also provide project finance, however I am more interested in their ethics, history and most importantly, how well they build houses.

Cheers

Adam.

Go up the road at family mart by the traffic lights at Bophut and follow the road up the mountain. Once you get up the hill the first house on the right is being built by them and is 60-70% complete. They are building to a good standard with a few western quality inflences

Go up the road at family mart by the traffic lights at Bophut and follow the road up the mountain. Once you get up the hill the first house on the right is being built by them and is 60-70% complete. They are building to a good standard with a few western quality inflences

The 60% - 70% Built bit is the easy Part, it's the finishings & final 20% or so that you should be looking at... :o

Finished, 100% finished Projects/Villa's, are where you will get your answers..

Edited by MSingh

The 60% - 70% Built bit is the easy Part, it's the finishings & final 20% or so that you should be looking at... :o

Finished, 100% finished Projects/Villa's, are where you will get your answers..

totally agree everyone here can do the 60-70% but the finnishing here is very poor,ive seen some terrible finnished houses,with many problems-there is no warrenty here too.thai good at the concrete/roof,then forget about them.never buy windows/doors from samui too.(wood is shit)you can message me if you need a project built-ive had 25 years experience and built a big western style house here in chaweng noi.cheers

I have to agree, the first 60-80% is the easy bit. The Thais can throw it up very quick and to a reasonable quality. The problem I have seen is the finish. Where the walls meet the ceiling, the tiling and grouting, the plaster and door frames, window frames etc. Only way, as has been said, is to find a finished house and go and look round it. :D Saying tat I haven'theard anything bad about them so thats a start :o

mangostays don't listen to such rubbish -------- 60/70% complete is the easy part ---------- you should be looking at the finish ----- etc etc.

I have been in Samui for 10 years and a builder in the UK for 30. The first 60/70% is the only bit you should be REALLY concerned about. If this is not right then the rest could be all covered in real gold but it is just a big mess like the rest of Samui's properties.

Ever pool and roof leaks, all the elec and plumbing is terrible and almost none of the builders come back to fix anything, trust me, I know.

I don't know this company Palm personally but I here the work is good.

If you ask me, find a builder that will accept payment when each stage of the work is COMPLETE ONLY, if they can't/will not do this then they are not worth talking to. If they don't have the confidence in the work they are producing or they can't afford to work this way then walk away.

Good luck

mangostays don't listen to such rubbish -------- 60/70% complete is the easy part ---------- you should be looking at the finish ----- etc etc.

I have been in Samui for 10 years and a builder in the UK for 30. The first 60/70% is the only bit you should be REALLY concerned about. If this is not right then the rest could be all covered in real gold but it is just a big mess like the rest of Samui's properties.

Ever pool and roof leaks, all the elec and plumbing is terrible and almost none of the builders come back to fix anything, trust me, I know.

Wow !!

Nice first Post, that's one way to adhere yourself to Forum Members i suppose.. :D

So anyway, enlighten me, we should trust you, because you know, that ALL Electric & Plumbing on the Island is terrible & almost ( nice get out ) none of the Builders come back to fix anything, how exactly ???

Are you insinuating you have used " almost " every Building Firm on the Island & are aware of ever Electrictiy & Plumbing System on the Island, because that's what your saying & that's why your saying the Guy who's asking the question should trust you ?? :D

Sounds like to me that you haven't even built a Sandcastle on the Island, let alone a House.. :o

Edited by MSingh

Wow !!

Nice first Post, that's one way to adhere yourself to Forum Members i suppose.. :D

So anyway, enlighten me, we should trust you, because you know, that ALL Electric & Plumbing on the Island is terrible & almost ( nice get out ) none of the Builders come back to fix anything, how exactly ???

Are you insinuating you have used " almost " every Building Firm on the Island & are aware of ever Electrictiy & Plumbing System on the Island, because that's what your saying & that's why your saying the Guy who's asking the question should trust you ?? :D

Sounds like to me that you haven't even built a Sandcastle on the Island, let alone a House.. :o

Why would he want to stick himself to Forum Members?

Wow !!

In my limted experience here at any time if something will go wrong it will with most builders. If your back is turned the boss of the company may be all well and good but his workers will not be. They do not care. If your eyes are not on site or represented on site fully then problems will come, whether in structure of on finishing. Bad finishing is clearly an issue here and is the first thing that meets your eye, but if your wall collapses or roof etc, then finishing is the last thing to worry about. Again at every stage to have someone there works wonders at avoiding corners being cut. Not all are able to do that , but with the money you spend and problems potentially saved its worth the investment, only by being there can you say do it over again until right and not at end. On the subject of payments, 100% agree, these huge sums up front leads to issues as half the time the money goes imemdiately to use in another site etc. If monetary control is not in your hands, you have nothing, nada. In saying that the prices the western run companies charge are just crazy for what they put up.

In my Humble Opinion

Nirvana

Wow !!

In my limted experience here at any time if something will go wrong it will with most builders. If your back is turned the boss of the company may be all well and good but his workers will not be. They do not care. If your eyes are not on site or represented on site fully then problems will come, whether in structure of on finishing. Bad finishing is clearly an issue here and is the first thing that meets your eye, but if your wall collapses or roof etc, then finishing is the last thing to worry about. Again at every stage to have someone there works wonders at avoiding corners being cut. Not all are able to do that , but with the money you spend and problems potentially saved its worth the investment, only by being there can you say do it over again until right and not at end. On the subject of payments, 100% agree, these huge sums up front leads to issues as half the time the money goes imemdiately to use in another site etc. If monetary control is not in your hands, you have nothing, nada. In saying that the prices the western run companies charge are just crazy for what they put up.

In my Humble Opinion

Nirvana

I agree with all that Nirvana, but i was just highlighting the ludicfrous stuff that other Guy said..

BUT...................Yes of course, the build of the whole House is important, from Foundation Level to the Snagging of the Paiting in the Living Room, however in my experience, these Builders don't seem to have much problem with that forst 60 % - 70% & are pretty competent to that level, but it's the final 30% where they just don't seem to have it imo..

That said, i'm sure of course there are some that have problems & cut corners on that first 60% - 70%, of course, but one thing we can all agree on is the fact that NONE of them initially get the finishings right & it's just how case of how well the Guys pulling the Strings within the Construction Company implement the snagging & finishings, that will define ultimately, assuming that the first 60% - 70% is ok ( which the vast majority is ) that defines your House in the end..

For the Guy to say that ALL Plumbing & Electric on the Island is terrible & " almost " none of the Builders come back is ludicrous but i suppose ultimately, just like in the West, it all depends on your Builder & your Budget because of you want to pay Somchai 10 per m2 on a Build, they you will get a, no offence, 10k per m2 Somchai Build... :D

I agree with all that Nirvana, but i was just highlighting the ludicfrous stuff that other Guy said..

BUT...................Yes of course, the build of the whole House is important, from Foundation Level to the Snagging of the Paiting in the Living Room, however in my experience, these Builders don't seem to have much problem with that forst 60 % - 70% & are pretty competent to that level, but it's the final 30% where they just don't seem to have it imo..

That said, i'm sure of course there are some that have problems & cut corners on that first 60% - 70%, of course, but one thing we can all agree on is the fact that NONE of them initially get the finishings right & it's just how case of how well the Guys pulling the Strings within the Construction Company implement the snagging & finishings, that will define ultimately, assuming that the first 60% - 70% is ok ( which the vast majority is ) that defines your House in the end..

For the Guy to say that ALL Plumbing & Electric on the Island is terrible & " almost " none of the Builders come back is ludicrous but i suppose ultimately, just like in the West, it all depends on your Builder & your Budget because of you want to pay Somchai 10 per m2 on a Build, they you will get a, no offence, 10k per m2 Somchai Build... :o

Actually AB has a point there, first and most important is to get the basics right. Even floors, walls and roof not to mention foundations. Proper plumbing etc etc. Even sh....y job with the structures can "look nice and good quality" from outside but it does not mean that the solutions designer and builder has taken are of best practise and lasting. Professional will see this in one look of the design or the site itself. So supervise it closely yourself if you have the knowledge or hire professional help to ensure the basics are done properly by your builder. In any case do not leave it to them to decide "how it's done" or at least double check their foundation and structural design with 3rd party professional before signing to anything.

Once you have the basics done properly you can invest your hard earned money to nice quality finishing knowing your italian marble and tiles will stay in the floor and walls for years to come. Not so uncommon to see nice finishing being ruined by moisture in the structures etc...

There seems to be different level builders, thai and farang alike around so pretty much only way to find a good one is to actually go and see one of their completed houses and demand same quality. Still it is bit of a hit and miss if you do not know the players well. You can also use seprate contractor for the finishing. There seems to be some companies who do only interior finishing mostly for hotels and resorts i assume.

For the Guy to say that ALL Plumbing & Electric on the Island is terrible & " almost " none of the Builders come back is ludicrous but i suppose ultimately, just like in the West, it all depends on your Builder & your Budget because of you want to pay Somchai 10 per m2 on a Build, they you will get a, no offence, 10k per m2 Somchai Build... :o

There seems to be different level builders, thai and farang alike around so pretty much only way to find a good one is to actually go and see one of their completed houses and demand same quality.

You've hit the nail on head there Mjo hence my reference to the lovely Somchai above & what we can all agree with regards to viewing completed Houses/Villa's... :D

So anyway, i wonder if the Original Poster has had a chance to view any of Palm Construction's finished Villa's & i wondered if he'd be kind enough to post his thoughts ??

For the Guy to say that ALL Plumbing & Electric on the Island is terrible & " almost " none of the Builders come back is ludicrous but i suppose ultimately, just like in the West, it all depends on your Builder & your Budget because of you want to pay Somchai 10 per m2 on a Build, they you will get a, no offence, 10k per m2 Somchai Build... :D

There seems to be different level builders, thai and farang alike around so pretty much only way to find a good one is to actually go and see one of their completed houses and demand same quality.

You've hit the nail on head there Mjo hence my reference to the lovely Somchai above & what we can all agree with regards to viewing completed Houses/Villa's... :D

So anyway, i wonder if the Original Poster has had a chance to view any of Palm Construction's finished Villa's & i wondered if he'd be kind enough to post his thoughts ??

Unfo our job here on the island is not as simple as it seems, I partially agree with all above comments, but let me tell you that even in case

you going to see a completed house and it looks good does not mean it is good for real, you should stay there for a while, cook, have a shower,

use all the accessories, lights, swimming pool, pray to have some rain to check roof liking etc etc. before to say "this is well build".

Above is quite difficult or almost impossible, for example we offer free stay in our villa to our clients who reserve it before to commit with a purchase

contract, but also in this case dishonest could give a villa to stay and the one client purchase will be not such good as the display one,

so what to do ? Simple, before to buy anything just ask if is possible to have some email address of other owners and ask them directly

if happy or not, I'm sure those people do not mind answer to such quick question.

We are builder and real estate and honestly I could not compare our villas to western standards, we try to make a good job and as best as we can but

is never good as we want or good enough to compare with western houses, a foreign Project manager working on site with good experiences and

skills has to adapt himself here or will have an heart attack sooner then later ! Is not only matter of money, its also the culture.

Example : For them (workers) the scope of a door handle is simply to open/close a door, that's it.

Why it should be at a certain height (and at the same high of the others doors) and the same type/model of the others in the house is still a "Falang" mystery...

I'm not saying this "building culture" is wrong, is simple different, at the end ot the day you are still able to open and close but explain this

to a potential buyers is a bit difficult :o

Hope you find above fair and a bit funny as well.

Edited by Geppis72

Some degree of snagging occurs in every new build, no matter how high the standard. And the previous poster is correct - most of these issues don't come to light until the house has actually been lived in for a few weeks or months. The important thing is how the builder responds to these snags. In the UK, there is usually a one-year period of grace in which the builder promises to return to fix any problems, and then a ten-year guarantee on the structure itself. I notice some of the developers on Samui are offering similar guarantees (although whether these guarantees are actually worth anything, is another matter).

So, yes, the best thing to do in my opinion would be to talk to people who have purchased and are now living in a Palm Construction property, which I guess was the intention of the original poster in the first place. Just looking around a finished property gives you some idea of the quality of finish, but doesn't tell you how the builder will address the problems that inevitably occur in any new build property.

Good luck!

• 2 years later...

Have got to agree with you I have a 20 mil + property that has cost an extra 1 mill to sort out what the builder F_ _ _ _ _ D UP and it was a farang company if your having a build done make sure your on sight every day because as soon as you have paid them in full they do not give a toss

If you ask me, find a builder that will accept payment when each stage of the work is COMPLETE ONLY, if they can't/will not do this then they are not worth talking to. If they don't have the confidence in the work they are producing or they can't afford to work this way then walk away.

Good luck

Have got to agree with you I have a 20 mil + property that has cost an extra 1 mill to sort out what the builder F_ _ _ _ _ D UP and it was a farang company if your having a build done make sure your on sight every day because as soon as you have paid them in full they do not give a toss

Good luck

You got off lightly.

I have not personally used Palm Construction, but some of my customers have.

From what I am told -

They are able to do a good quality job

They are expensive

They know how to build and can throw a big team at a project

Some of their start/end dates are 'optimistic'

I have never used Palm Construction because I already have a good relationship with another builder who has proved that he can do a good job for me. However, if I could afford Palm Construction - they would be my second choice.

The most important thing on any building project - check it yourself as often as you can. You cannot spend too much time supervising construction crews.

Sorry I'm not able to provide much information on Palm Construction, but I have seen some of their work and it looks ok. My question is why are you not considering a house already completed within the last five years? With the economy the way it is most houses I've seen for sale are around 10-20KB/sqm whereas the exact same house would cost you 50KB/sqm to build today if you hired one of the Samui builders. Five years ago it was the exact opposite -- you could build a house for very little and make 100% on it within a few years. I've had at least fifteen Thai and farang builders quote on a small guest house with just basic features using local materials and they all quote in the range of 50KB/sqm. Materials have not gone up that much in the last five years, salaries have stayed the same, and the quality of work is still pretty lousy. I would not consider building anything in Samui right now unless I had a very good western friend who was a builder and had a team of good workers. I would want to see the cost of materials and labour separately and also pay in quarters upon completion. Just using local materials you should easily complete your house at under 20KB/sqm.