Why Do You Stay In Thailand?

henryalleman

I don't buy into the mindset of some rose colored glasses, color-coordinated shirt and rubber bracelet wearing, mindless foreign sock puppet who says we are guests here, or we need to 'embrace' thai culture. I am most definitely not a frickin' guest because, I pay my own way, just as I have in every country I've lived in, even my own country the US, and you already know what I think about "thai culture". ..

Spot on! Great post.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that this is my opinion and yours might differ.

Plus (things that are better here):

- Cheap / good quality lifestyle is pretty affordable (Food, Massages, Hotels...)

- Great weather

- Good looking women

Minus (things that are worse here):

- Lack of cultural events that I'm interested in

- My best friends are not here

- The average Thai isn't that smart and reliable (annoying in many situations)

I travel a lot and I would get really tired of Thailand if I wouldn't. I guess most people who complain a lot just don't get out of the country very often. I also have a lot of free time so I can enjoy our garden, do stuff on our house, go boxing and whatever. Life is good but would be boring without my trips to other countries. As a home base Thailand is fine.

When people ask how I like living here I reply without fail, "I hate living in thailand, but I would hate living in America more". That's a good conversation stopper, and always good for an awkward moment with thais and foreigners alike. The other one that gets people is that I say, "I tolerate the thais here because it is their country."

I don't know how to say this nicely, but you really do sound like a dick. :o

Perhaps, but some of us like this dick.

Edited by Jingthing

I love this board. I wondered why there are no boards towards Korea active and lively like this and it's because all the idiots are here!

Love it and leave it.

Here? Where are you Tyree D.?

First I want to apologize for saying idiots. I'm not even sure if I was referring to the country or this boards. Either way it was wrong. I am in Korea. Look up the thread I started.

To go back on topic, my story was I went to Chiang Mai University one semester and went from a virgin to a stud. Took 4 1/2 years to get back and stayed for 2 years. Got sick and had to come back home with no money. Got a job in L.A. teaching Japanese and Koreans then got interested in a new place. Went to Korea and love it more and am glad the taboos like showing your foot and loss of face don't exist here. Then had to come back to thaivisa and rant about how I love it here.

That's my story.

Edited by Tyree D.

Perspectives always shift once acclimated to any environment. What used to be important, the availability of women and the freedom of that choice, inexpensive but great cuisine, what used to look like an overall freedom of expression and free style way of life, changes into, oops, maybe that decision made 16 years ago to sell everything, say goodbye and live "in country" was not one of those better choices. I work here as well, not because I necessarily want to but because I have to.

Then it becomes a situation of too old to start over and too anchored to go back. You also remind yourself every so often that many would love to be in my shoes and I am thankful to live this kind of life albeit, a modest lifestyle compared to what I had created before I left in the U.S. I wake up when I want, work when I want but the human condition always wants more and you acclimate.

Still overall, its a great place once you begin to understand the underlying current of the culture and the people. For some this takes a few years, for me I still haven't quite figured it all out and don't expect to in this lifetime. I will live and die here.

Search, Predict and Act. Ride Safe and Enjoy :o

My ancestors migrated from China to Malaysia and Singapore long time ago, so that future generations can have a better chance in life. Though not every country the Chinese migrate to will give them a head start in life, at least they are given a chance to make a better life on their own. Why I came to Thailand? To spread my seeds across the border just in case. Put all seeds in one basket, you'd lose more. Thats why Chinese people usually have relatives who are spread widely across the globe. My children are Thai citizens now and they can now be allowed to be an American or a British if they want to in the future and still keep their Thai citizenship. The passport I carry does not allow me to visit Israel but now my children can. Every country has its good and bad points, just that sometimes the more you complain, the more you learn....for every complain is a test and a challenge to overcome and you'll become wiser. Thailand, although not perfect, is by no means good enough for me.

Thailand is no country for young (farang) men

(Unless they are tourists, drawn like moths to the neon flame.)

Thailand as a permanent or semi-permanent destination- for a retiree, sure, it makes some sense. For those under 50, it is tantamount to checking out of life.

EXACTLY! I am a farang woman, and i cold no longer stand it in Thailand. So I left - so much happier to Be around normal, civilized peeps now :o

In fact, I didn't realize just how unhappy I was till I left! It's good in the states :D

I stay (more accurately - returned) because even after 2 years in the States, my Thai wife just couldn't get with the program and "be" an American. I also stay because a lifestyle of commuting to the States for a few months of work each year followed by a few months of lazying around in Thailand is still a lifestyle as good as or better than if we were to stay in the States full-time. Hence, quality of life is much better because I have more time for family and myself whereas I would have to work continuously if we were in the States. It would be nice to be able to earn here (open a business or do what I currently do in the States), but there is too much downside to a new business and few opportunities for work (none of which pay in a month what I would typically earn in a day or two in the States).

So, I be in Thailand and here I is forever (?).

Being a Brit in Th, I don't like to complain or moan...

After just completing the almost daily drive from Rangsit into Bangkok I find it an exhilarating past time that easily compares with a day trip to Alton towers theme park and is much cheaper.

I for one never realized that the rear view mirror was only so I can chat more easily with the passengers in the rear seat

someone flashing their lights no longer means please continue your maneuver, but means look out I have temporarily forgotten where my brake pedal is

Trying to guess from which direction the next bike/car/bus will appear from I find is a particular favorite past time for me

I am always surprised and love the David Copperfield type skill that any D-MAX 4x4 driver has by pulling into to a 2m space in moving traffic while traveling at 80kmph

Then I get into BKK and the fun really starts,

But thats just a Monday morning, and better than travelling at 10mph into London, YES, I honestly do love living here in Thailand...

1. Certain joys here that I can't get back home

2. While working here I found it easier sometimes to work with thai's then back with people in the U.S.

3. Joys of food here, who knew good food could exist for less than 50 baht

4. Affordable of getting a massage, never could afford prices in the U.S.

5. At least being here I meet people from all over the world, that kind of experience I can't get or find in the U.S.

6. Who knew watching a movie here could be so relaxing, Big recliner seats :o

7. I can actually afford health care

8. Coming here I learned how to drive on the other side of the road

9. For all of thailands up and downs at least some days I really grateful just for having electric, water, cable, internet.

10. I sometimes feel safer here than I did back home

11. This is rude but while in the U.S. always tired of black people blaming whites for everything at least here I get called a farang for everything.

12. Going to work talking with women and never having even think about the issue of sexual harrassment. In the U.S. you can't say anything to women at work other wise its sexual harrassment. At least here the atmosphere is more laid back

13. Speaking of which in the U.S. everything is serious, at least here its not all serious

14. Driving more than 120 kmph on the highway and never seeing or dealing with speeding tickets or cops

At least being here I meet people from all over the world, that kind of experience I can't get or find in the U.S.

Good list except for the anti-black comment. My experience in the US was very international, most of my coworkers were not Americans there, so it depends where you choose to live there. At one big company I worked for, they encouraged people to post their home country flag above their cubicle, it was like the United Nations in there.

i wonder if people really like it here, or it is just a default position.

i rarely ever see westerners looking happy, except, of course, in the bars when they are in the company of people they know. the lists many have made are all good and agreeable, but still, when i am about town i see westerners alone and looking lonely, or with their significant others and although some are happy, most do not seem so - just observations.

I do wonder why many of the complainers, who against better judgement still like to stay in Thailand.

A few of their complaints.

Expensive, cheating women, border runs, idiot people, idiot government, foreigner unfriendly, the list is almost endlessly.

Why many of them buried themselves in some remote Island village or in Pattaya or some touristic place overwhelmed by tourists.

For myself I used to live in an 24/7 vibrant international metropolitan town, with all the possibilities of London, New York or Paris, like shopping, dining out and a rich cultural life who is hardly to match even in Bangkok. And yes all kind of female relationships is also not an problem and is also widely available.There are a lot of mature attractive and available women over here for people my age with no hassles at all.

I live an comfortable life and have no problems(financially or legally) what so ever back home, and I can benefit from an excellent health care and social services of all kind for the senior citizens, what is not provided in Thailand.

Therefore its an enigma why some people moving to Thailand.

So why I will move to Thailand.

1- I'm a retiree and have no children or family,and my wife (senior citizen also) like to spend the winter or her life next to her family that she did miss for more than 30 years. And whom am I to deny her that little happiness.

2-Despite the strong baht, life is still less expensive than back home and I will have an indexed pension that meet the wage of an Thai higher management wage. So I can have just that little bit extra luxury more than back home.

3- I have no Thai family who i have to support (very important reason, because I don't like to be an walking ATM).

4- I'm still in good health and my wife give me my personal freedom :o

5- I have no urge to go to Pattaya (never been there) or other tourist places

6- I can stay in Bangkok, can not imaging staying in some village in Isan or up North.

7- Don't need to hang around and listen to whining and complaining expats in some beer bar, or to there fantasy stories about how well off the are and about there cheating Thai girlfriends.

8- I'm coming already 30 years to the country, so I know the loopholes and dangers. I'm coming with an realistic view and false expectations and prepared myself for more than 10 years before making the decision.

I open up, and tell frankly about my personal reasons for staying in LOS.

So come on guys what are your real reasons why you stay in Thailand, lets call a spade a spade and tell us frankly.

I would ask you kindly to stay on the topic, because otherwise it will become the same boring whining and complaining comments as usual and that will benefit nobody.

My Dearest Henry,We ALL love complaining,....YES even you!!.....Ive just read your post on "red shirts attack asoke"..... :D

i rarely ever see westerners looking happy, except, of course, in the bars when they are in the company of people they know. the lists many have made are all good and agreeable, but still, when i am about town i see westerners alone and looking lonely, or with their significant others and although some are happy, most do not seem so - just observations.

I understand exactly what you mean, and that is why I don't meet westerners here (by choice) unless they are introduced by trusted friends who already know they are ok.

There's a lot of mental illness, a lot of escapism, a lot of fantasy-roleplaying, and a heckuva lot of projection going on.

Wherever you go, there you are- and if you weren't happy to begin with, you won't be happy there either.

I do wonder why many of the complainers, who against better judgement still like to stay in Thailand.

A few of their complaints.

Expensive, cheating women, border runs, idiot people, idiot government, foreigner unfriendly, the list is almost endlessly.

Why many of them buried themselves in some remote Island village or in Pattaya or some touristic place overwhelmed by tourists.

For myself I used to live in an 24/7 vibrant international metropolitan town, with all the possibilities of London, New York or Paris, like shopping, dining out and a rich cultural life who is hardly to match even in Bangkok. And yes all kind of female relationships is also not an problem and is also widely available.There are a lot of mature attractive and available women over here for people my age with no hassles at all.

I live an comfortable life and have no problems(financially or legally) what so ever back home, and I can benefit from an excellent health care and social services of all kind for the senior citizens, what is not provided in Thailand.

Therefore its an enigma why some people moving to Thailand.

So why I will move to Thailand.

1- I'm a retiree and have no children or family,and my wife (senior citizen also) like to spend the winter or her life next to her family that she did miss for more than 30 years. And whom am I to deny her that little happiness.

2-Despite the strong baht, life is still less expensive than back home and I will have an indexed pension that meet the wage of an Thai higher management wage. So I can have just that little bit extra luxury more than back home.

3- I have no Thai family who i have to support (very important reason, because I don't like to be an walking ATM).

4- I'm still in good health and my wife give me my personal freedom :D

5- I have no urge to go to Pattaya (never been there) or other tourist places

6- I can stay in Bangkok, can not imaging staying in some village in Isan or up North.

7- Don't need to hang around and listen to whining and complaining expats in some beer bar, or to there fantasy stories about how well off the are and about there cheating Thai girlfriends.

8- I'm coming already 30 years to the country, so I know the loopholes and dangers. I'm coming with an realistic view and false expectations and prepared myself for more than 10 years before making the decision.

I open up, and tell frankly about my personal reasons for staying in LOS.

So come on guys what are your real reasons why you stay in Thailand, lets call a spade a spade and tell us frankly.

I would ask you kindly to stay on the topic, because otherwise it will become the same boring whining and complaining comments as usual and that will benefit nobody.

My Dearest Henry,We ALL love complaining,....YES even you!!.....Ive just read your post on "red shirts attack asoke"..... :D

:o I have a fan :D

Wherever you go, there you are- and if you weren't happy to begin with, you won't be happy there either.

Happiness is an illusion. Moments of true happiness are transitory. You can't own happiness or reach a permanent state of happiness. Even the revolutionary founders of the USA knew that the PURSUIT of happiness was the best they could hope for.

You want to see miserable people? Visit a big American city. So farangs don't look happy in Thailand. Why should they? So what? Its just a place. So Thais smile a lot? I doesn't mean they are happy! The average drone working class Thais of Bangkok have got to be among the most miserable group of people on the planet. Get real, people.

Edited by Jingthing

I understand exactly what you mean, and that is why I don't meet westerners here (by choice) unless they are introduced by trusted friends who already know they are ok.

There's a lot of mental illness, a lot of escapism, a lot of fantasy-roleplaying, and a heckuva lot of projection going on.

So true, why DO so many have the alter-ego fantasy past? Do they honestly believe we can't spot them a mile away? That's my only complaint about the country anyroad!

I moved to Thailand after 9 years in a Muslim country.

So, no more booze runs across the border.

Meaning no more passports needing more pages because they are FULL of the same stamp.

No more warning guests to bring booze, to cover up, to NOT get peoed when someone cuts in front.

No more having gifts from home unwrapped at the post office.

No more censorship of movies, magazines and tv (I don't miss blacked out mags at all!)

No more having to design without using a font with the letter t in the shape of a cross.

No more having to explain that crosses are kept under the counter like Playboy and Penthouse.

No more having to cover up (not the full gear, just arms, legs and boobs).

No more tip toeing around sensitive religious issues.

No more listening to the call to prayer. Five times a day. From three surrounding mosques.

No more listening to dogs howl during call to prayer. Five times a day.

No more worrying about who's a royal and who's not.

No more worrying that I'll upset the wrong person and be kicked out.

No more watching new diplomats come in and start believing they are god.

No more wondering if Christmas is going to be banned this year. Again.

No more putting up with irritable people and insane drivers during Ramadan.

No more pretending to be a vegetarian during Hari Rayi.

No more staggered weekends - Friday and Sunday off, working Saturday.

No more walking around with all eyes on me.

No more seeing the same people at functions year after year.

No more stuffing my suitcase with everything I couldn't get.

No more getting a book confiscated because the cover is green.

No more pouring through cookbooks AGAIN and AGAIN, after not being able to get what I need.

No more walking around muttering, 'but I'm happy, dmmit', just to keep from going insane.

No more getting permission to leave the country.

No more quick trips to Thailand to breath.

No more island fever.

Now I can buy wine, beer, whatever from a store.

Now I can purchase pork without going into a special room off to the side.

Now I can visit museums with displays that don't explain why women should be circumcised.

Now I can walk around a country with beautiful men and women who smile back!

Now I can go to decent restaurants and have wine if I so choose.

Now I can go to a library.

Now I can buy decent books in English.

Now I can go to CONCERTS! Yeah!

And now when I see a lone mosque on the highway, I just smile and appreciate the beauty.

And now when I meet someone in full gear, I no longer cringe.

When I see a plane fly overhead, I no longer wish I were on it.

When I'm buckling myself into a plane to leave, I no longer feel like I've escaped from a prison.

When I'm back in the UK, I no longer o.d. on booze and pork and decent cheeses.

When I'm coming back home to Thailand, my heart races because I can't wait to be on that last drive from the airport.

And no, I'm not prejudice against the Muslim religion (I have great Muslim friends, I admire mosque architecture, I even reminisce about hearing the call to prayer). But 9 years is 9 years. And after that 9 years, it really sunk in just how free and easy living some countries are. And you might bitch about Thailand, but there is freedom here. It might not be the freedom you are used it, but... hey...

Happiness is an illusion. Moments of true happiness are transitory. You can't own happiness or reach a permanent state of happiness. Even the revolutionary founders of the USA knew that the PURSUIT of happiness was the best they could hope for.

You want to see miserable people? Visit a big American city. So farangs don't look happy in Thailand. Why should they? So what? Its just a place. So Thais smile a lot? I doesn't mean they are happy! The average drone working class Thais of Bangkok have got to be among the most miserable group of people on the planet. Get real, people.

I get what you mean, but I don't have such a strong definition of happiness (bliss all the time, etc.). For me, happiness is satisfaction that my needs are presently well-met and that if it is only up to my own actions, they will be better and better met in the future. I can have annoying or frustrating moments or days without having my happiness affected, by this way of looking at it.

I've a sneaking suspicion that we're all happy to be here. Even the most persistent wingers like myself.

Sometimes we're happy to be unhappy here also.

ThaiVisa's a good safe; secure; Virtual place to let off some steam , deal with a frustration and then go back to our real lives.

for some maybe it is real life .

You'll have to drag the majority of us wingers away screaming and kicking I suspect ;-)