Installation Error Message

Maestro

On the computer I am using at the moment Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 was acting up; it appeared to lock up when I tried to save a file. I uninstalled it, tried to install version 9, and got this error message:

post-21260-1232613454_thumb.png

Checking in the device manger I see that this PC has the graphics card NVIDIA GeForde4 MX 440 and that it is working properly:

post-21260-1232613719_thumb.png

So what can I do about the error message? When I click on “Retry” the installation continues but when I then try to run the program the same error message pops up again.

--

Maestro

Try installing the latest drivers for your video card. Download them from here.

Thanks, I'll try that. Now I'm beginning to suspect that RegistryFix deleted something it shouldn’t have and a link to the driver in question may now be missing in the registry. Perhaps I should go to the system restore point before I started messing about with all this. --

Maestro

Try installing the latest drivers for your video card. Download them from here.

Thanks, I'll try that. Now I'm beginning to suspect that RegistryFix deleted something it shouldn’t have and a link to the driver in question may now be missing in the registry. Perhaps I should go to the system restore point before I started messing about with all this. --

Maestro

That's one possibility!

Could be that there some more file need to be deleted. Which Windows you use?

Cheers.

Can you set an option somewhere for the program to use DirectX as opposed to the OpenGL it's trying to use?

I’m afraid that would be something too geeky for me to attempt. Doing the system restore point thing is about the limit of my abilities when it comes to computer problems.

--

Maestro

…Which Windows you use?

Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3 on the machine in question.

--

Maestro

Oops, I don't have any XP machine at the moment, Server 2003 and 2008, Vista and Win 7 only. But will try to get it tyogether.

First you need to open the Windows Explorer. Look in the Menu Tools (I believe) for the point: Folder and Search Options and click on that follow by View.

You need to check Show Hidden Files and Folder and uncheck Hide protected Operating System Files.

Now you have to look in Documents and Settings, maybe you run a Search there, for everything about: [Jasc] Paint Shop and delete all you find.

After that go to http://www.guru3d.com (not Nvidia!) and look for a driver for a Gforce4 Card, download and install it. That should clear the problem. After install Jasc Paint Shop.

Thanks for the detailed guide. My search for “Jasc” in Documents and settings produced the following:

post-21260-1232646441_thumb.png

Some of those shortcuts lead to files in c:\Program Files, where I checked before and thought I found nothing but obvioulsy I did not check well enough because this was now found there:

post-21260-1232646458_thumb.png

I am now going to delete the lot, then hunt for and install the new driver and install Paint Shop Pro 9 again.

--

Maestro

It sounded do easy until I tried to do it. I know exactly the model of my video card:

post-21260-1232650335_thumb.png

www.guru3d.com does not have a listing for GeForce4, just for NVIDIA GeForce in general. I know this PC has a 32-bit processor, so that’s where I click, and I get a long list offered for selection. I am at a loss which one to download.

post-21260-1232650400_thumb.png post-21260-1232650435_thumb.png

www.nvidia.com looks at my machine, tells me that I currently have version 56.73 installed, and offers me to download version 93.71, but I do not want to download from this site, on the recommendation of Raimar which I trust without reservation, but guru3d does not have version 93.71:

post-21260-1232650525_thumb.png

What shall I download and install now?

--

Maestro

I may be getting closer. I looked at the details of some of the drivers on guru3d with WHQL in the name, but they all seem to be for GeForce series 6 and higher or for other models. Perhaps I have to download from the NVIDIA site, after all, but since there is no rush I shall wait for advice.

--

Maestro

I may be getting closer. I looked at the details of some of the drivers on guru3d with WHQL in the name, but they all seem to be for GeForce series 6 and higher or for other models. Perhaps I have to download from the NVIDIA site, after all, but since there is no rush I shall wait for advice.

--

Maestro

It's not clear why it was recommended not to download from the nVidia site since that is the primary source of drivers for GeForce chip sets. Nearly all my video cards are based on nVidia GeForce chip sets and get my latest drivers from the nVidia site with no problems. As far as I know, the Forceware driver package from nVidia will support all model chipsets.

However, this driver supports the older versions. 84.21

--

Maestro

It's not clear why it was recommended not to download from the nVidia site since that is the primary source of drivers for GeForce chip sets. Nearly all my video cards are based on nVidia GeForce chip sets and get my latest drivers from the nVidia site with no problems. As far as I know, the Forceware driver package from nVidia will support all model chipsets.

However, this driver supports the older versions. 84.21

The drivers from Guru3D are slightly modified and you get mainly a better result.

I had a few times similar problems as Meastro and was able to solve with different drivers than from Nvidia, drivers from Guru3D and even the older DNA-Drivers.

Cheers.

The drivers from Guru3D are slightly modified and you get mainly a better result.

Now that you mention it, I do remember a few years ago about the modified versions from them. Occam's razor philosophy can be useful to remember though. :o

The deed is done. Thank you all for your help.

In the end I decided to download and install the driver 93.71 recommended on the NVIDIA site, then I installed Paint Shop Pro 9, which worked without an error message this time, and the program works faultlessly.

--

Maestro